Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Hello sumo thread! I came here because of the announcement, watched the last basho and now love sumo. Unfortunately lurking this thread means I'm ride or Shodai for life. Enjoy my very basic picks, I'm still learning who everyone is!

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakatakakage
SHODAI

M1-M5:
Tobizaru
Abi
Nishikigi

M6-M10:
Ura
Oho
Takanosho

M11+:
Tochinoshin
Kotoeko
Ichiyamamoto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Oh dear I may be new to the sport but that did not look good. Kenning can I trade Tochinoshin for Kotoeko or Ichiyamamoto?

Feeling lost like Shodai now.

Edit: dang didn't even realise when matches started lol, stupid sleep getting in the way of sumo

Single Tight Female fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 12, 2023

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
🥺 Hoshoryu was the first rikishi I fell in love with so I hope my beautiful Mongolian boy is okay. I was mercenary with Tochinoshin but can't do him like that.

Kenning if this would be an auto-trade I'd like to refuse it if possible, tia

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Congrats on the upcoming nuptials, and once again thanks for running this!

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho

S/K:
Wakatakakage
Hoshoryu
Tobizaru

M1-5:
SHODAI
Abi
Nishikigi

M6-10:
Endo
Ura
Ichiyamamoto

M11+:
Takanosho
Kotoeko
Kinbozan

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Every part of my current success this basho has been due to not understanding drafting rules/being behind a couple of days and not realising how dire certain situations were.

In this way, I like to think I have embodied the spirit of Shodai

Edit: huh. Turns out my brother is going to be there tomorrow! Any advice I can pass on? Feel like I remember some previous comments suggesting going later in the day and skipping lower division bouts?

Single Tight Female fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 22, 2023

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Banana Canada posted:

Letting my significant other who doesn't watch sumo pick based on how handsome the rikishi are.

Very confused to find out this isn't how everyone picks.

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Terunofuji

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakatakakage
SHODAI

M1-5:
Tobizaru
Abi
Nishikigi

M6-10:
Takanosho
Onosho
Meisei

M11+:
Kotoeko
Oho
Myogiryu

Chaining myself to various sinking ships for the exhibasho. Thanks for running it Robviously!

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
God I love sumo.

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Kirishima

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Abi
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Tobizaru
SHODAI
Ura

M6-10:
Oho
Takanosho
Myogiryu

M11+:
Kotoeko
Ryuden
Hakuoho

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
An incredible basho to be sure, poor Kotoeko being thrown into the crowd again lmao

Hoshoryu was the first rikishi I ever became a fan of, so I'm over the moon he won!

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Thanks for all you do Kenning, great basho all! Think that's a PB for me, can't wait for this to be my ultimate peak and then a long time languishing in juryo before I'm put out to pasture. Might go spread COVID at a hostess bar and come back in a year, see if it improves my chances.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Ok I'll stop agonising over a single pick, three days of that is enough. Thanks for running it!

Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Kirishima
Takakeisho

S/K:
Tobizaru
Nishikigi
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Ura
Abi
SHODAI

M6-10:
Kotoeko
Hiradoumi
Endo

M11+:
Myogiryu
Hokuseiho
Kotoshoho

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
The news of a new draft genuinely makes my day, cheers Kenning!

Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Kirishima
Takakeisho

S/K:
Abi
Wakamotoharu
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Tobizaru
Ura
SHODAI

M6-10:
Kotoeko
Myogiryu
Takanosho

M11+:
Hiradoumi
Ichiyamamoto
Tomokaze

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Trade request please! I want to get off Mister Abi's wild ride.

Abi for either of my alternate picks - Wakamotoharu or Kotonowaka - if either is free, if not then it's fate.

I've been completely undone by deliberately putting my favourite boys at the top of each pick and getting my draft in early. Don't be like me, be like Shodai.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Only just managed to get caught up on the last few days, glad to see my particular brand of sumo is bad. Tobizaru's last few bouts were interesting, all headbutting people in the dick and kicking the poo poo out of their legs!

As always, thanks for all the hard work you do Kenning, and Banana Canada too!

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Kenning posted:

We had so many people with worst-case trades (i.e. ditching someone who gets KK in favor of someone who gets MK) it's almost not worth mentioning this basho; however I do want to offer my sincere commiserations to Single Tight Female who got two double MK trades, with Abi->Wakamotoharu and Kotoeko->Myogiryu, although that last one was a kyujo auto-trade. Sometimes you get a rough basho, but I hope you will gambarize for Hatsu.

Sometimes things just happen and you don't really know why. Guess this is how Shodai feels a lot of the time.

I will work hard to improve my brand of fantasy sumo for next year!

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Roctavian posted:

I can't remember exactly which basho, but I think it's March 2023: Hoshoryu got henka'd by his opponents for a couple matches in a row, and then Tobi tries to get a third in and gets thrown like a ragdoll.

Eldoop posted:

Usually I just dislike henkas because they mean I miss out on a good match. If they're funny they're good, like that match a few basho back when Hoshoryu grabbed the back of his opponent's mawashi as he ran by and hurled him into the audience

Assuming these are talking about the same henka, it's Day 9 of March. I know because I sent a clip of it to a group chat so it was easy to find the date. The only non-rumble link I can find is this one and if the timestamp doesn't work their match is at 26:14, it's still great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTPpVnFWmzw&t=1574s

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Average Lettuce posted:

I think this was against Sadanoumi? But I can't find any video of that match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngou947yYXM&t=433s

Aha! This is a Hoshoryu/Sadanoumi henka with a flypast mawashi grab, but the ending is slightly anticlimactic lol (7:13)

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
I've been gambarizing like nobody's business since my appalling performance last basho and look forward to seeing results! Thanks as always Kenning, and good luck Banana Canada if you're doing your tracker again!

Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Kirishima
Takakeisho

S/K:
Ura
Daieisho
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Tobizaru
Abi
Gonoyama

M6-10:
Ichiyamamoto
Kinbozan
Hiradoumi

M11+:
Onosato
Churanoumi
Aoiyama

Juryo:
Shiden
Asakoryu
Tokihayate

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Jesus, trade request please

Can I swap Ichiyamamoto for, in order, Hiradoumi, Kinbozan, an old tyre...

This trade can't possibly go worse than my last one.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
If every instinct I have for drafting is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right...

Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Terunofuji
Takakeisho

S/K:
Daieisho
Nishikigi
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Atamifuji
Asanoyama
Onosato

M6-10:
Tamawashi
Hokutofuji
Takayasu

M11+:
Endo
Sadanoumi
Ryuden

Juryo:
Wakatakakage
Kotoeko
Hakuyozan

Thanks Kenning and Banana Canada!

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Banana Canada posted:

Prior to goonzuke publication, I'll post the tracker without Makuuchi - Juryo divisions. Will revise with the divisions later and tweak the colours and formatting a bit mroe.

After Day 03:

Very handy, wish I hadn't seen it. Please take this extremely personally Robviously, my only goal this basho is to stay ahead of you.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

bessantj posted:

Christ Sumo

He wasn't dead, just having a longer than usual post lunch nap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Truly embodying the spirit of sumo, thank you Robviously and Banana Canada, and may Kenning enjoy a well deserved break!

Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Kirishima
Terunofuji

S/K:
Abi
Wakamotoharu
Onosato

M1-5:
Tobizaru
Hiradoumi
Ura