Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

hello friends! i am venturing out of my comfort zone of the video games forum to join in on the sumo fun!!

i never knew or watched a single thing about sumo until randomly catching a few videos out of the algorithm back in July, and was able to find a live stream of the basho on youtube around day 12 or 13. i had very little idea what was going on, but the streamer had some pretty decent commentary and i dug in to the wiki page and other videos learning about sumo. i was hooked! even just leaving the stream on in the background during the lower divisions is a great vibe, listening to the yobidashi singing and flipping over to it when the gyoji starts yelling.

now after that basho and watching all of the september basho (and ruining my sleep schedule) i am a huge fan. my favorite rikishi is Hokutofuji!! stomp stomp!!! but i'm a big fan of Hoshoryu, Takayasu, Tobizaru, Atamifuji and can't wait for Hakuoho to be back.

and let us not forget!

IT'S NAOYA OR NEVER

IT'S TIME TO GET THIS SHODE ON THE ROAD

IT'S SHODIN' TIME

SHOOOOOOODAAAAAIIII

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

oh yay i have been looking forward to this

Y/O:
Kirishima
Hoshoryu
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hokutofuji
Wakamotoharu
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Ura
Shodai
Tobizaru

M6-10:
Atamifuji
Ryuden
Kinbozan

M11+:
Roga
Kitanowaka
Churanoumi

Bentai posted:

Today is Lord Shodai's birthday, he is 32!

happy birthday Shodai!!!!!!!

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 11, 2023

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

hoo buddy hokutofuji v. takakeisho day 1 is HYPE

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48AmZ-z4STc

these had me giggling so much

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Nativity In Black posted:

Uh.... I know people have been talking about making it easy for Keisho to snag the rope, but that sure seemed like a false start. Hokutofuji's left fist was nowhere near the clay.

my boy has had so many false start losses recently :negative:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Kenning posted:

DRAFT IN

Kerrzhe

Y/O: Kirishima
S/K: Hokutofuji
M1-5: Ura
M6-10: Atamifuji
M11+: Kitanowaka

nice!! i like this team!! let's go!! :dance:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

yeeeesh i only got 1 point yesterday thanks Ura lmao

but, i'm still implementing my brand of sumo by having a fun time anyway

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

anakha posted:

Speaking of water, when did it become ok to start drinking the water again during the pre-match prep? It used to be just going through the motions without actually drinking because of the infection risk.

E: Yusho race still pretty wide open

i've noticed that the yobidashi take the wooden ladles to the back during bouts, presumably to wash them between uses

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

anakha posted:

Would it ruin your image of the man if we told you he wears glasses outside of competition and his glower is more likely him squinting at his opponent?

his deathstare is nullified completely as soon as you see a picture of him smiling

it gives me life, though

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

it's my first day, so i picked the guys i would like to see win, and put no further thought into it

will this trend continue? almost certainly

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

truly one of the shodai matches of all time

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i am pretty proud of my score! i am glad that i stuck with my style of sumo and i will focus on my style of sumo even more for the next basho.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

any of us would do the same

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

that's fuckin' sick

i am also getting sumo related presents this year :ssh:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i got a 2024 sumo calendar and november illustrated banzuke for christmas!! very excited to hang these up

merry christmas sumo fam!

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 25, 2023

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

sumo prime time just put up a very lovely interview with the very lovely Kotonowaka!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih6k6EA8B08

i'll be rooting for him big time this year!

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Meisei kinda looks like Daieisho but is actually not Daieisho

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

YOSH

Y/O:
Kirishima
Hoshoryu
Terunofuji

S/K:
Kotonowaka
Ura
Takayasu

M1-5:
Hokutofuji
Atamifuji
Shodai

M6-10:
Asanoyama
Ichiyamamoto
Meisei

M11+:
Aoiyama
Onosato
Churanoumi

Juryo:
Roga
Shishi
Asakoryu

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 11, 2024

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

KungFu Grip posted:

ah welp midnight sumo's twitch account is gone

god that sucks. i really hope they can get it back :( youtube loving sucks balls lmao

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

there are channels like MidnightSumo that rebroadcast the Abema stream, which is all 9 hours of sumo each day. anyone can watch Abema for free but you need a VPN to pretend to be in Japan.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVm6kBiCaMo

chris put up a very nice video about our new chief gyoji!

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

is it just me or is Kintamayama's channel gone? can't find it in search and the link in the OP is dead too

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i hate to be a bother but i think i should have 7 points for day 2, not 2?

Kerrzhe

Y/O: Hoshoryu
S/K: Kotonowaka
M1-5: Hokutofuji
M6-10: Asanoyama
M11+: AOIYAMA
Juryo: Roga

or im just really bad at math

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

with regret, i would like to trade AOIYAMA for Onosato, Churanoumi, or Shimazuumi

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

that fall was so scary, i feel so awful for him i want to cry. god i hope he recovers well. that's my boy :smith:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I do not want to auto-trade away Hokutofuji. that's my boy. my boy!!!

..idk how to handle Asanoyama though, is it possible he could come back?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

gently caress man 4 of my 5 guys went kyujo this tournament lmao

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Kenning posted:

13 wins got him 33 wins in 3, and he had excellent sumo, and a hard-fought playoff. It would be crazy for him not to be promoted.

i'm happy enough with this, though i would have been over the moon if he had got the yusho too

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i am proud to have somehow managed to possibly barely pull off a KK with my style of sumo. thank you for running and spreadsheeting, Kenning and Banana Canada!

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i am most grateful for this honor. i am pleased to have succeeded with my style of sumo and will continue to strive for a winning score next basho.

thank you again for running, Kenning!

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Y/O:
Kotonowaka
Kirishima
Hoshoryu

S/K:
Nishikigi
Wakamotoharu
Daieisho

M1-5:
Ura
Atamifuji
Asanoyama

M6-10:
Hokutofuji
Shodai
Gonoyama

M11+:
Roga
Daiamami
Churanoumi

Juryo:
Hakuoho
Wakatakakage
Asakoryu

my mawashi color... is blue!! like i think it has been in the previous bashos :)

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Paying2Lurk posted:

The first 3 hours or so of each day make for good background noise. I like the mostly empty arena vibes. And the yobis, gyoji and PA announcer all doing things in their specific rhythm make it kind of meditative. I keep it on while doing mundane work tasks or playing a game.

big same, i love the steady rhythm of all the various sounds from the yobidashi and the gyoji and the announcer. it's very relaxing and comforting to me

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

the pokeball gyoji robe actually has pikachus on it :aaaaa:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

wodin posted:

It'll be a pity when it finally gets DMCA'd, since Midnight has legit put a lot of work into making the sport approachable.

why'd you have to jinx it lmao

got taken down again like 10 minutes ago :negative:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

wodin posted:

oh god I'm sorry I figured they were well past that since it'd been around forever and Abema doesn't seem to give a poo poo

nah its definitely not Abema, it's either the commercials they play off youtube (like nintendo last time) or someone with a grudge for getting banned reported them and twitch's automatic system gets set off

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

people don't seem to realize that pushing Hoshoryu to the tawara is EXACTLY what he wants you to do.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

oh my goodness

https://x.com/QVqd32432/status/1771712176891269388?s=20

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Dimebags Brain posted:

He's burned into my mind forever since seeing this amazing performance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEJxwKP_x2Y

ok that is hilarious

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008