Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

I believe in Shodai.

I don't, to be clear, believe that he will do any specific thing, like winning, or not winning, or even showing up to the basho. I just believe in Shodai in a general sense.

Shodai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Y/O:
Shodai
Takakeisho

S/K:
Shodai
Takayasu
Wakatakakage

M1-5:
Mitakeumi
Tobizaru
Tamawashi

M6-10:
Oho
Ura
Endo

M11+:
Tsurugisho
Chiyomaru
Kotoeko

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Elissimpark posted:

Yeah, I like sumo:

S
U
M
shOdai

the amount of effort put into this is just a perfect reflection of shodai

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Day 3: SHODAI

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Dead Goon posted:

Day 6: SHODAI

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Day 8: Shodai...

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Day 9: SHODAI

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Day 10

Wakatakakage has not been the same since changing mawashi color on the middle of what could have been in ozeki run. Bring back the blue!

Keisho is gettin that drat rope, no doubt about it. He looks so strong and way more versatile this basho.

Day 10

Never, ever change your mawashi unless you're already on a losing streak. It's bad luck.

Also, new SHODAI theory: Has anyone considered that maybe he just didn't want to be an ozeki anymore? Maybe he was tired of getting poo poo talked for constantly going 8-7, 7-8, 8-7.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Day 11: Shodai!!!

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Day 12: Shodai!

And Takakeisho isn't getting that rope this basho. If he keeps up this level of performance for another basho, though, I think he gets it.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Eldoop posted:

Day 13: Azumaryu vs Chiyoshoma was nuts, so many incredible recoveries from Chiyoshoma! Not enough to avoid the MK in the end, but still really impressive to watch

There are a few rikishi that are just extremely slippery, like Chiyoshoma, Tobizaru, and Shodai when he's on form, and it's always incredible to watch. Shodai, especially, has some past moments of pure bullshit on the edge of the tawara that make you understand how he managed to be an Ozeki for so long despite being, well, Shodai.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Day 14: Shodai was ROBBED.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Day 14: It looked like they went down at the same time to me. Should have at least gone to a mono ie.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Dead Goon posted:

NHK World show highlights in the UK and is available on Virgin Media, I don't know if it is available on any other platform.

They also air a longer broadcast live on the first and last day.

I just watch it live elsewhere.

NHK World has a free internet stream.

You can watch sumo right here:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/live/

Well, okay, you can't watch it NOW, you can watch NHK Newsline, followed by "Fisherman Face Land Development: Penang, Malaysia." But the general point stands.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Brut posted:

That's the channel that only shows the last hour of Sumo and only on Sundays.

That's only partially true? They do a highlights broadcast of (mostly) the upper division with English commentary, but they do it every day of the basho. They also do a live broadcast of the last couple hours of last day or two of the basho as well. They don't show the lower ranks, which is a shame, but if you need a sumo fix and everything keeps taking down NHK will at least get you Makuuchi.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Goodguy3 posted:

If we're talking Sumo dreams I had one earlier this month where I managed to go to a day of the Hatsu Basho.

Except in order to get in you had to pass a test to prove you had the spirit to truly enjoy the sport.

It was a written exam and all the questions were generic morality stuff like "Someone drops money and doesn't notice do you keep it or give it back."

Also I could see through the doors of the arena and the Dohyo was being carried in, fully built, by the rikishi Pikmin style.

Frankly none of this seems that out of the realm of possibility for sumo.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Terunofuji
Shodai

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakamotoharu
Wakatakakage

M1-5:
Shodai
Onosho
Tamawashi

M6-10:
Ura
Endo
Ichiyamamoto

M11+:
Oho
Hokuseiho
Chiyoshoma

Congrats on the wedding!

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Shodai

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Shodai!

Day 2: I love that there were at least two times Kiribayama should have won, but nope, Shodai is too slippery. He's always been a master of last second edge bullshit even at his worst, and when he's actually fighting well, like in this basho...

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Fun Shodai fact for newcomers:

His shikona, or ring name, is Shodai, which is based off of his real name, Shodai, and means Shodai.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

net work error posted:

Yup.

Also, Shodai will get to Yokozuna first no don't ask me to explain it

Shodai will put together an impressive Yokozuna run, than immediately go 1-14 next basho after promotion before retiring.

Day 4: Takakeisho's Yokozuna run is over. The knee injury has, unfortunately, sealed it, I think. I'm sure he'll try to keep pushing, but hopefully he'll be sensible enough to at least go kyujo after another loss.

Also, Shodai out-muscling Waka was not something I expected even from Chaos Shodai.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

my cat is norris posted:

edit: i have learned SHODAI

welcome

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Takakeisho is now kyujo.

Not surprised; that knee is clearly giving him trouble and after losing to Mitakeiumi he clearly wasn't getting the rope. I think he made the right choice and I hope he comes back strong in May.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Last night was a very good night of sumo.

It was extremely satisfying to watch Shodai get his KK by bodying Ryuuden. Also, the Hoshoryu/Midorifuji and WKT/Kotonowaka matches were fantastic.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Shodai and furthermore, SHODAI

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Day 1: Oh noooooooooo-dai

Lots of good matches day 1. I had a good laugh at Shodai looking in control right until Teru got leverage and yeeted him out of the ring. There was some great defense on the edge by Hiradonoumi, and Ura's match was great.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

wodin posted:

Also my fondest memory of Hakuho doing Hakuho things was smacking Shodai after lining up literally at the edge of the ring (e.g. no room to move if he was hit at the tachiai at all) which was apparently so disrespectful the Yokozuna Deliberation Council had an article written about it to censure him (https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14399422).

Hakuho has claimed in interviews that this wasn't a sign of disrespect but the only way he could think of to beat Shodai with his condition at that point in the basho.

Presumably he knew Shodai would warm up that day, or something, I dunno. Or he's just BSing to avoid soundling like a jerk.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Day 8: Whoever it was that said they cheer for Hokuseiho by shouting "BE BIG" stuck in my head and now I do it too, and you better believe I was screaming BE BIG as he beat Asanoyama/

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

anakha posted:

Day 9: MEISEI MOTHERFUCKERS

Day 9: You could visibly see that Meisei went in with a plan to avoid the arm clamp and get Teru off balance, and he managed to execute. What a fantastic match.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Day 11: It looked to me like Hoshoryu was paying attention to Meisei's match; he came in quick and just a little offset to try to avoid the clamps, I think. Unfortunately for him, Teru was paying attention too and wasn't letting anyone pull that one again.

The Wakamotoharu match was fantastic.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Brut posted:

https://www.sumoandsushi.com/

Aaahhhh! Why didn't I hear about this until after it happened :smith:

My friends and I went to that! It was a pretty good show. A lot of the information is geared to people who aren't familiar with sumo, so you'll already know things like how to win a sumo match or what techniques are illegal, but watching the rikishi demonstrate live is good fun, and the actual exhibition matches at the end were fun to watch. The food was decent too.

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho
Kirishima

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Daieisho
Hoshoryu

M1-5:
Shodai
Tobizaru
Ura

M6-10:
Oho
Takayasu
Hokutofuji

M11+:
Wakatakakage
Hakuoho
Endo

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Day 1: That Hosh/Tobi match was hilarious. Also, go Meisei! What a fantastic match against Asonoyama.

Finally, Shodai.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

CHAOS SHODAI

Also, what an incredible match between Teru and Tobi. I think if the mawashi had been a little tighter, Teru would have had it, but that in no way takes away from how hard Tobi worked for that gold star.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Hosh had a good tournament overall, but the last few days of quick, efficient takedowns have been a step above, in my opinion. I think if he keeps that level consistently he's not stopping at Ozeki. It's a shame Hokutofuji didn't win, though. I was rooting for him.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Y/O:
Kirishima
Hoshoryu
Takakeisho

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Daieisho
Tobizaru

M1-5:
Shodai
Tamawashi
Shonannoumi

M6-10:
Oho
Midorifuji
Endo

M11+:
Mitakeumi
Atamifuji
Myogiryu

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

What a fantastic day of sumo!

Day 4: Takakeisho looked great, completely unlike yesterday when he didn't move. He was also in control of that match from start to finish; when Asanoyama recovered from the initial tachiai and started to push, Taka immediately took advantage and slapped him down for the win.

And, of course, you can't spell CHAOS without SHODAI.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

bartolimu posted:

Day 4: That was, like, the most Shodai Shodai that Shodai ever Shodai'd, wasn't it?

No, actually. One basho he did that to Teru, dropping him out of the yusho race.

It will not surprise you to find that Shodai went 7-8 that basho.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

god I love Shodai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Beeswax posted:

Day 14:
Shodai has been showing some uncharacteristic fire in the past couple of days. It's been a very welcome change. He can be incredibly strong when he's fired up.

Takakeisho woke Shodai up with those slaps and he hasn't gone back to normal yet.