Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Another year of giving my energy to Takayasu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
しょだい

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Hirayuki posted:

しょだい

Nertz, still learning to hear and remember the long vowels

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Takayasu is obviously trying to protect his neck. Setting aside the tremendous concerns about being in a fight with a neck injury, his surge has come from him getting his ozeki era explosive tachiai back. Without it he's not going to be able to do anything.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Very strong opinions about Abi ever carrying the dignity of a Yokozuna intensifies

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Are there actually more guys hurt than normal or is it just that all of my favorites are hurt so it feels like more?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Vargatron posted:

Abi has the petulance and disdain for authority that actually makes me like him a lot. He's the working man's rikishi.

I find him to not be motivated by confidence in his actions like Hakuho; I just think he's a chaotic dumbass

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
His name should be Tamagosho because he is shaped like an egg

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Takakeisho showed some real yokozuna presence for day 7

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Oh Mr. Mustard is a way better name. I hope he comes back.

Also love the grinning applauder. He's having such a good time.

I've seen a poster of kimarite with illustration and the phonetic + translation of the move. Is there a poster size .pdf of that or just a poster I can buy? My cube at work is turning into the SUMOZONE, and this would help immensely.

This one? https://bigsumofan.com/products/kimarite-guide?_pos=1&_sid=6c0d00c52&_ss=r

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm happy for Azumaryu but it was kinda weird how nobody at all reacted to him finally getting kk, not even Azumaryu himself.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I was worried about Takakeisho in the middle of that bout when Onosho had the initiative. Losing the fight after the opening standoff would have been disastrous for the legitimacy of the yokozuna posture he's been adopting this basho.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I think overall Takakeisho will have earned it if he wins but I would have liked to see him pull off at least 13 wins. Unless I'm missing one, Hakuho only ever had a single 12-3 yusho and I'm going to hold his standard as my unfair bar for the rest of my life.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 22, 2023

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Oh snap I finally got an autograph sumo card from the main set

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Nice. Oho is also the sound you make when you pull an Oho autograph card.

I've been buying 1 box of each set as they come out since 2020 and was beginning to think I'd never get one.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I agree with 「😭ありがとう」

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Lid posted:

CHIYOMARU AND TOKOSHORYU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Was his injury ever properly fixed or is he still going to have a super weak left side?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
If it was Hakuho suddenly busting onto the dohyo for a single bout, I'm picking him immediately over anyone except Takakeisho and Terunofuji (once he's back, assuming he comes back healthy).

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Goeido is an interesting one because he only quit because he didn't want to drop from ozeki. I could see him still being in the top division today if he had wanted to keep going. Probably would float between Tochinoshin and Takayasu as far as former ozeki.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Once again giving my energy to Takayasu

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Takakeisho already lost his yokozuna promotion shot in my eyes :colbert:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Takayasu looking juicy so far

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Takayasu remains juicy, this is the most important thing to me.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Kenning posted:

looking forward once again to Takayasu making a strong run and breaking everyone's hearts in the final weekend, according to tradition.

One day he’s gonna do it and it will be a great day

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Takayasu's juiciness remains high

It is sad that there is only 1 knee between the only yokozuna and the only contender for yokozuna.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Midorifuji seems like a guy who doesn’t get talked about a lot but has been pretty great since he came up, especially for a smaller guy.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Shodai could be one of the greatest yokozuna ever as long as absolutely nobody tells him what his rank is.

"Just put on this rope and do a little dance. No reason. The people just love to see it."

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Tochinoshin's ozeki run had the most important quality of being Really loving Cool regardless of what happened before or after

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Man Ozeki Tochinoshin doesn’t feel like 4 years ago

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Harite with those hands would kill someone

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Nishonoseki and Miyagino getting into a stablemaster battle for recruiting the world's largest sumo men

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Marching Powder posted:

seriously tho how does he get to debut at ms10 when he appears to be fighting people around about the hattorizakura skill level?

I’m guessing sumo is like other sports where there is still a huge gulf between the best guy some random school has and someone with true professional potential.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm glad to see Shodai's comeback confirmed by him easily defeating my actual most hated rikishi

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I wonder what they did that got the Sumo Association so pissed off. I'm guessing it must have been pretty bad.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I should see foreign tourists also getting really aggressive and racist about Japanese people continuing to wear masks at higher rates

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Ichinojo was on my permanent sport shitlist because of the abuse but I hope he can get to a healthier weight and get the alcohol problems under control.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Let’s go Takayasu and those +6 kilos of juiciness

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I think I'm ready to say that Shodai's first san'yaku run was actually his warmup and now we're in his real one with the full warmup powers with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
They're gotta have Asanoyama facing higher ranked guys pretty fast, right? He's not ranked low because of injury recovery or anything so it seems unfair to everyone else to give him a normal set of opponents.

some kinda jackal posted:

I got to meet Kaisei at the SuMall booth just a few minutes ago but was too tourist-self-conscious to ask for a selfie. Super nice guy, but I’m imagining no one manning a booth is going to be a dick, so.. :haw:

lucky