Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakatakakage
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Ryuden
Nishikifuji
Abi

M6-10:
Hokutofuji
Takanosho
Onosho

M11+:
Tsurugisho
Mitoryu
Kotoeko

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Time to track again!

Y/O: Takakeisho 12-3, 18 pts +1 kk +5 yusho
S/K: Hoshoryu 8-7, 9 pts +1 kk
M1-5: Ryuden 9-6, 10 pts +1 kk
M6-10: Hokutofuji 7-8, 6.5 pts -0.5 mk
M11+: Tsurugisho, Kotoeko 2-4, 3-6, 4 pts -1 mk

Total: 41-34, 47.5 pts

that 5-0 start is now just a distant memory.

anakha fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 22, 2023

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Feels kinda weird to see Tokushoryu without the topknot and mawashi of the salaried ranks.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

welp, that first day high disappeared fast lol

Overall scores are gonna be pretty close this basho I think, given how everyone's sharing Keisho and how all over the place the rest of the sanyaku are looking so far.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Surprising to see Ura win with such straight forward sumo but I like it

Day 2: Ura actually was up to his old tricks here - he pulled an Enho by coming in under Hokutofuji's tachiai and got his hands under the other's armpits to get him upright and ripe for the push-out.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Kotonowaka's had these bad early starts before and they've all been because he goes through the meatgrinder in Week 1. I think he's still got a good shot at going kachi-koshi.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Kenning, requesting to trade Tsurugisho for Kotoeko.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Looks like Okinoumi's about to announce his retirement. (Japanese article)

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Hi Kenning, could you double-check my score? As per my tracking I should be at 21 points, not 20. Thanks!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Jesus Christ Keisho, stop leading with your face.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Hopefully we don't start seeing cup therapy as applied to the face

I am now haunted by the image of Keisho doing this before every match:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 10:
It would be the most Shodai of Shodai to finish this basho at 9-6 lmfao

Keisho already showing off the most versatility I've seen in recent memory.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Hoping Hoshoryu can get to KK tomorrow and call it quits—that ankle is still clearly pretty tender and I’d hate to see him make it worse

Ah, a time when it's perfectly justifiable to henka lol. 3 guesses who he's facing too.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

The NattoSumo channel just got taken down. :(

After the umpteenth time this has happened, you'd think he'd try to change up his approach a bit.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 13: Maybe I'm overanalyzing this, but I do think Takakeisho's shelf life at the top is getting shorter and shorter, what with the extra weight he's carrying and how hard he goes in his matches.

If he ever makes yokozuna, I think he'll be one for a very short time only, and I would almost prefer he NOT make it so that he'll be remembered as a top-level ozeki rather than a disappointing yokozuna.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

John McClane posted:

day 13 my general impression is that the oshi guys have a shorter shelf life in the top division, which is another reason why tamawashi's longevity is like, impossible

Akebono was a crazy-rear end outlier in how long he stayed on top with his tsuppari and even he transitioned into being more of a belt guy as his career wound down.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 15: Dare we hope... Yokokeisho?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

TIL pewdiepie is pretty much retired from gaming, lives in Japan, and mainly does vlogs now.

Here's an interesting little glimpse of Day 13 from his perspective.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Natto down, Jason next?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

No word from Jason yet, but it looks like his YT channel's been nuked.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Final dohyo-iri:

https://twitter.com/crane018511/status/1619184081920745472?t=SOt0AcAqsei1NmvIT1JE5Q&s=19

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Shohozan unleashing his inner chad.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Goeido promised himself he'd retire if he fell from ozeki and already had elder stock in hand, so he was fully prepared to step down.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Wakatakakage
Hoshoryu

M1-5:
Abi
Tamawashi
Nishikigi

M6-10:
Takayasu
Nishikifuji
Sadanoumi

M11+:
Oho
Kagayaki
Takanosho

anakha fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Mar 11, 2023

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

verbal enema posted:

so did the sumo association nuke the youtube channels to funnel views into Sumo Prime Time? two days in a row of each days recap

NHK did. Hiro Morita also happens to do the NHK English broadcasts.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

some kinda jackal posted:

I call him Modai

A nice change from Slowdai

No-Showdai was right there.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Tracker post time!

Y/O: Takakeisho 3-12, 2.5 pts -0.5 mk
S/K: Wakamotoharu 11-4, 12 pts +1 kk
M1-5: Abi 9-6, 10 pts +1 kk
M6-10: Nishikifuji 10-5, 11 pts +1 kk
M11+: Oho 0-3, Takanosho (Day 4 onwards) 6-6, 6.5 pts +1 kk -0.5 mk

Overall: 39-36, 42 pts

anakha fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 26, 2023

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Kenning, requesting to trade Oho for Takanosho. Thanks.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 4: I might be calling it too early, but i feel like Keisho's yoko run is toast. That heavily-taped ankle plus his losses so far make me feel a kyujo is coming.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 6: Keisho's lower body looks shot right now. He gave up a lot of ground to Mita without trying to pull, which almost never happens if he's healthy.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

With everybody sharing a kyujo Takakeisho, we might have a new record for the lowest scoring fantasy winner lol

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Kenning posted:

I'm almost positive this will be true, especially considering how poorly the sekiwake are doing as well.

You might as well give everyone a 0.5 point deduction for the kyujo now and save yourself some bookkeeping later. :v:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Lucasar posted:

The Ichinojo comparison reminds me, has there been anybody since Ichinojo who debuted in Makuuchi before they could get their hair into the mage? At this rate Ochiai will manage it.

Endo IIRC

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Brut posted:

Endo was before Ichinojo

lol my blind rear end just skimmed past the 'since Ichinojo' qualifier

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, Takarafuji hasn't looked right for half a year now. That lower body's probably giving out already.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I think it's clear that Tochi is holding on for as long as he can remain in the salaried ranks, to maximize earnings for the inevitable post-retirement life.

Kaisei, Shohozan, and Kotoyuuki are also examples of this. I'm honestly surprised Tokushoryu has continued on despite dropping from juryo before and looking like he'll do so again.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 13: Tomorrow's matches gonna be spicy.

Daieisho (11-2) vs Midorifuji (10-3)
Wakatakakage (7-6) vs Kiribayama (10-3)
Wakamotoharu (10-3) vs Hoshoryu (9-4)

Hoping for a 4-way logjam going into Day 15.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Three guesses how this juryo match ended.

VVV Yep.

anakha fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 25, 2023

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 15: BONUS SUMO FOLKS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yusho decided by a handstomp of all things :lol: