Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Yeah, I like sumo:

S
U
M
shOdai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Lid posted:

Talking Sumo with H.E. Demon Kakka

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_Kakka

the gently caress

this man is giving in depth sumo commentary

Demon Kakka is apparently insanely into sumo and is a font of super obscure sumo trivia.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

gently caress it, hope I'm not late. I'm gonna Shodai this one, cause I'm off overseas for a fortnight on Wednesday. It's been ages since I last played.

Y/O
Takakeisho

S/K
Shodai
Wakamotoharu
Kotonowaka

1-5
Tamawashi
Sadanoumi
Midorifuji

6-10
Hokutofuji
Oho
Onosho

11-16
Takarafuji
Kotoeko
Kotoshoho

Observe my complete lack of preparedness and analysis. My gambarizing will be legendary.

Or more likely, super crap.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

The dude who was at the losing end of that, Oki, had the opposite of a zensho Basho with his singular appearance as sekitori in 2020.

Seems he was largely railroaded with a bunch of former makuuchi regulars, which sucks.

I love sumo reference.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bentai posted:

I read that Okinoumi has elder stock, so he'll be kicking around the sumo world for quite a while to come. Not sure if he's going to open his own stable or what though.

According to sumo reference, he is Kimigahama-oyakata.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Beeswax posted:

Look I love the #1 hard-working salaryman of sumo, but he's been around for ages and should know better than to charge headlong at the wiliest, most mercenary man in the game.

Takarafuji also was in the same heya as Aminishiki, the former king of henkas. Ajigawa-oyakata would've been shaking his head.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Googled "garlic manekineko" and got ripped sunglass-wearing manekinekos as the top results.

Just take all my money, AliExpress.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Play Shodai games, win Shodai prizes.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Log082 posted:

"Fisherman Face Land Development: Penang, Malaysia."

Having just returned from a trip to Malaysia, the amount of deforestation is depressing.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Lid posted:

If you are in Japan with access to Japanese television how difficult is it to watch sumo?

The YDC personally come round and slap the TV remote out of your hand.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Hak's new haircut:

https://twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/1619246046877745153?s=20

Not bad, but no Oshima-oyakata.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Apraxin posted:

yeah that's the same ones, looks like they were originally a gachapon-style lucky dip, but that link has the full set. also while looking them up i found the official captions for what each figure is meant to be and lol

At least its being polite and saying 'gaikoku', though I'm not sure what the middle kanji is.

Its probably supposed to be Aoiyama, but you can't see the cat-jugs under the fur.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

Watched Chris sumo's coverage of hakuho's retirement

I honestly would have paid 10k to take a snip. Famous people, singers, prime ministers, and Some White Guy. Got a bit teary at the end because since turning 30 I apparently cry at anything.

Is Steven Seagal just Some White Guy?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

In apropos of nothing, just wishing someone made rikishi figurines in that heavy rubber the 80's WWF figurines were made from. It would be the perfect medium for it.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Would it be worse realising you have really great hair after 20 years with a mage through your 20's or realising that you have crap hair and that the mage was doing you favours.

(Shohozan has great hair, btw.)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

QuasiQuack posted:

Hell yeah Kotoeko! Great to see he's popular.

I know that heavier is generally better, but the guys about the 140kg are often the best mix of ripped and roly-poly. Asashoryu was 145 or so, from memory.

Sadly, Kotoeko's rise coincided with Kotoshohiku's decline. Kotoeko was his tsukebito til he made juryo.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

If its worth doing, then its worth doing adequately.
Other than Takakeisho, I have selected only the most adequate of rikishi.

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Daiesho
Wakamotoharu
Tobizaru

M1-5:
SHODAI
Mita-chan
Nishikigi

M6-10:
Sadanoumi
Boobs
Endo

M11+:
Takarafuji
Kagayaki
Myogiryu

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Lid posted:

Shodai

Shodai

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Log082 posted:

Fun Shodai fact for newcomers:

His shikona, or ring name, is Shodai, which is based off of his real name, Shodai, and means Shodai.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Nessus posted:

How can I learn more about SHODAI?

Trying to learn about Shodai seems a very un-Shodai thing to do.

The Shodai that can be described is not the eternal Shodai.

Or at least, remember to warm up first.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Lexorin posted:

Those are the Brown Coats, they watch sumo for the love of the sport and not for any one Rikishi. Here is some more info I stole from reddit:

They are part of the organization Osaka Touzai-kai (大阪東西会) http://www.touzaikai.org/ It is sort of a club that takes a bunch of money to join and you support the continued existence of the basho like NPR or PBS. In return you get good seats and probably better behind the scenes access. [And wear the sweet brown happi (ハッピ)] I believe the minimum is around $15k per year but I bet some are spending more. This is called a Tamari-kai, which is a little bit different than a Kouen-kai, which is a club that supports individual wrestlers or heya. Kouen-kai minimums are much cheaper.

To add a bit to this regards their seating positions, the name translates (roughly) as East-West Society, which is why they only sit behind the rikishi on the east and west sides of the dohyo.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Beeswax posted:

I'm gonna say it: I'm against Shodai. posting

Why don't ya go warm up about it?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Imagining drunk Americans haranguing the sekitori as they leave the kokugikan after their bouts.

"You SUCK, Shodai!"

Could also be drunk Australians and gyoji which probably gets more disrespectful.

"Wipe the poo poo out of your eyes, Kimura!"

(Based on actual footy heckling witnessed as a child.)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Apraxin posted:

it's serious business

Why does Kumamon continue to haunt me?

Kumamoto prefecture got their money worth with that bear - it's everywhere like Big Brother on Kyushu.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Banana Canada posted:

Case in point, I just bought a plushie at the Kumamon Village store last week.

I'm secretly fond of the anime Keroro Gunsou. I've got a keyring of the main character, an alien invader, wearing a Kumamon shirt.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Lid posted:

Ha Ku Oh Ho

Maybe Hak really likes the Star Wars EU.

Luke

Luuke

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bentai posted:

Grumpy Old Sumo Fan deliberation time:

Are the YDC feeling okay? That was a pretty positive report. Has someone been feeding them edibles?

Marching Powder posted:

youtube recommending the greatest sumo match of all time was always going to get my click but holy loving poo poo this tachiai. dead serious i can count on one hand the number of active rikishi who might not go flying into the sixth row on impact, let alone make it competitive.

Back when Kotoshogiku was hot poo poo after winning his yusho, some sports scientist types wired him up to measure the forces involved with his tachiai. I'll have to have a dig to find the article, but needless to say, they were pretty insane. I'm surprised more rikishi aren't exploding into bloody mist.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

https://youtu.be/ACTbrq1jzXY

A bunch of rikishi are better-than-average singers. Takayasu comes to mind, too. And Enho, showing it's not necessarily the bigger body giving them musical chops.

Takayasu is half Filipino and if you find his mum's YouTube channel, it's mostly Takayasu either singing karaoke or phone camera recordings of him singing on TV.

My understanding is that karaoke is a big deal in the Philippines.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

net work error posted:

Could you imagine being to shake the GOATs hand? Even a hug maybe???

Get him with a surprise tachiai and he might utchari you.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I nearly pinched this photo of Hak for an avatar, until I realised he made it his av on twitter.

https://twitter.com/HakuhoSho69/status/1670369688419975168?t=CqEI41WK9yX_0WSttIDrHg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Gaga goes to Miyagino for dinner. Hakuoho does a great Hakuho impression:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmWQJHKI7jM