Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

ilmucche posted:

People keep posting SHODAI but I keep reading it as SHODAN

"My whims will become lightning bolts that raze the mounds of humanity."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Y/O:
I suppose I'll take Takakeisho

S/K:
Wakatakakage
Wakamotoharu
Takayasu

M1-5:
Ryuden
Midorifuji
Tamawashi

M6-10:
Oho
Hokutofuji
Onosho

M11+:
Kotoshoho
Kotoeko
Chiyoshoma

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

Yeah, I like sumo:

S
U
M
shOdai

Shodai!
U gotta love Shodai!
My man, Shodai!
Oh boy it's Shodai!

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

For you Shodai fans:

https://i.imgur.com/uWYEUBh.mp4

Sound mandatory

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Kenning posted:

Alright, we've seen some great sumo so far this basho.

Day 2 standings:

Makuuchi
code:
5	Kuros

I didn't realize I had been promoted!

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Kenning,

Trade request:

Oho for in order: Onosho or Aoiyama.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

That Midorifuji vs Hoshoryu match! Best match of the day by far.

Also concerning Takanosho vs Chiyoshoma was it a hair pull? I missed what happened but thought that Taka won until they called the DQ.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Kenning posted:

Alright, we're all caught up.

Day 7: gently caress the haters, Takakeisho is an excellent ozeki. That motherfucker fights like hell.

Day 7 standings:

Makuuchi
code:
Kuros 20

Boogalo posted:

I think by my math I should have 19 unless i'm mixing up a bonus point or penalty somewhere. PJ might should also have 19 if kotoeko's day 6 win counts for them.

I also plan to let Oho carry me gently back down to lower Juryo.

anakha posted:

Hi Kenning, could you double-check my score? As per my tracking I should be at 21 points, not 20. Thanks!

Yea, looks like something with the sheet is off? I should be at 22 myself.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Teddybear posted:

I guess let's all keep rooting for Takakeisho to get it done?

Hey, everyone has Takakeisho so if he wins we all win.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Nativity In Black posted:

Is it just me or does this seem like a particularly henka heavy basho?

I was saying this to my partner as well.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

My very early trade from Oho to Onosho is paying dividends.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Watching Juryo right now and just laughing at this match:

https://clips.twitch.tv/SoftDelightfulWatermelonMingLee-8CjNsHq7Es63vunt

Edit: This was after a matta where they did the same thing.

Kuros fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 21, 2023

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Day 14:

Kotoshoho yes!

Ichiyamamoto vs Azumaryu should have been called a matta. Azumaryu didn't have his right hand fully down before Ichiyamamoto started moving.

Glad my whole active stable has their KK.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Great matches!

I wanted my guy Kotoshoho to win, but great job to Takakeisho who's in everyone's stable.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Boogalo posted:

I kept Oho definitely for honor and definitely not because it makes tracking my score myself more confusing than i can deal with.

I keep a pretty simple spreadsheet that I'm willing to share if anyone was curious on formatting.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

It's the typical issue of "If the official offerings weren't such garbage, people wouldn't bother with pirating."

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

FYI MidnightSumo is running some 24hr replays. Right now we are in day 2 of Nov 2022

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Banzuke up!

https://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoBanzuke/index/

Y/O looks the same, S/K still stacked as gently caress.

Juryo news:

Asanoyama J1E
Tochinoshin J2W
Ichinojo J3E

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Takakeisho
Takakeisho

S/K:
Wakatakakage
Hoshoryu
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Ryuden
Onosho
Kotoshoho

M6-10:
Takayasu
Ura
Endo

M11+:
Hokuseiho
Daishoho
Takarafuji

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Gonna just bite the bullet and not trade. What will happen since the only Y/O is now out?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

:negative:

This basho has been a disaster for most of my stable.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

SUN DAWG posted:

been out of the loop for a while. is anyone uploading matches for on-demand viewing? i know there are a few channels on twitch but usually never able to catch it live.

MidnightSumo runs 24 hour re-runs and NattoSumo, despite being taken down repeatedly, will be uploading the May tournament to: https://www.youtube.com/@nattosumo4 once it starts. NHK took down a ton of channels in Jan.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Here's a quick and dirty sample Google Sheets I created: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10WvRL33j-yAJ3ayzWAaGLRUtfvEQQY3sHk4Bn0HK9Ck/edit?usp=sharing

It's pretty easy to see who's winning by doing a countif function and setting it to count O and just fill in the cells with O or X to signal a win or loss. From there it's easy to also count any points for Yusho, Jun-Yusho, KK, MK, etc. The hard part is where trades come in as I have to go in to the player's sheet, note which day the one rikishi ended on, then do a countif function for only those specific days instead of being able to simply reference a cell from the master sheet. I then have to start the new rikishi to only count from the day they count in the player's sheet until the end of the tournament.

I initially thought about doing a Total point count, but that gets messy with regarding trades and making sure I don't put in the wrong points by accident, or double up on points. That's what I was looking to do with my tab. With Kenning's tab I instead counted by the Wins column, then add in the rest of the points to get the grand total.

Counting Yusho, Jun-Yusho, Sansho and Kinboshi are pretty easy since it's so few rikishi. Just find out who has the Yusho winner, for example, do a find by the winner's name and everyone who has the winner I pop a 5 into the cell for the Yusho points. Pretty quick.

KK and MK are also pretty easy, 8 and above, pop a point into the KK cell, 7 and below, pop a negative half point into the MK cell. When it comes to trades though, I'll have to cross reference the master sheet since in the example of Kenning's sample sheet, he gets 4 points for Kiribayama, Takayasu, Kotoeko and Endo, who was traded for and -1 point for Hokutofuji and Tobizaru who he traded away. Hence the importance of marking when a trade happened.

However, I don't have any knowledge on how the draft works, plus I'll be out of town from the 18th and not back until the 22nd with only a phone to make updates to the sheet.

Thoughts?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Kenning posted:

That sheet will work well enough for the basho if there's no trading. Trading is quite annoying to deal with, because you need to record not only each rikishi's daily score, but also each player's daily rikishi. I have a few vague thoughts on how to improve my sheet, but currently I use a pretty extra INDEX and FILL formula to do that. It's fairly easy to use for me at the moment, but I've never taught anyone how to do it, so I don't know how easy it would be to teach. I'd hoped to have something cleaner to share, but my year has been quite full and well here we are. If you'd like, you can download the .xlxs file and make of it what thou wilt. I wish anyone who attempts to do so all the best.

Drafting is fairly messy, and formatting the draft results to post on SA is very messy. I have a great dream of getting my friend who is a programmer to write me a simple web app to handle all of this, but we didn't get very far last time we were trying to plan it. Perhaps some day.

How many trades do you think happen on average per basho and on average how many per person? Lets say there are 40 trades by 30 people, that's pretty easy to change the formula from simply recording the number as seen in your sample draft in my sheet, Kiribayama ='Rikishi Scores'!Q17 to something like what it would say for Tobizaru. Tobizaru (Until Day 6) =countif('Rikishi Scores'!B39:F39, "O")

The rest of it is simple =sum calculations.

The initial setup for everyone involved is the long part, for example, having to go find everyone who has Hokutofuji for example and putting in ='Rikishi Scores'!Q12 into the cell next to Hokutofuji's name to properly record the wins. Multiply that by 42 rikishi and that does take a bit.

It's manual but does involve having to be meticulous. I'm no expert with Excel mind you, but I'll look at your sheet as well to see what you have going on as I've been curious for a while.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Robviously posted:

:siren: Fantasy Sumo :siren:

Since no one has picked it up, I've taken it upon myself to organize this sort of last minute! We'll be moving forward with fantasy for this Basho however this will be considered an exhibition only. Standings will not count towards a Goonzuke ranking, as Kenning hasn't posted one after the last Basho for understandable reasons. Let's keep the fighting spirit of this thread going, however, and show the world what our sumo consists of. Hakkeyoi!!

code:
Terunofuji 	  Yokozuna	
		          Ozeki		Takakeisho 
Kiribiyama       Sekiwake 1	Hoshoryu
Daieisho	  Sekiwake 2	Wakamotoharu
Kotonowaka	  Komusubi 1	
Shodai		  Kumusubi 2	
Abi	                   M1	       Midorifuji
Takayasu          M2	        Endo
Tobizaru           M3	        Nishikifuji
Ura         	           M4	        Nishikigi
Kinbozan          M5	        Kotoshoho
Meisi	           M6	        Mikateumi
Hokutofuji         M7	        Tamawashi
Sadanoumi       M8	        Takanosho
Onosho   	    M9 		Hiradoumi
Ryuden		    M10		Takarafuji
Hokuseiho	    M11		Daishoho
Aoiyama	    M12		Kotoeko
Chiyoshoma	    M13		
Asanoyama 	    M14		Myogiryu
Ichiyamamoto   M15		Tsurugisho
Mitoryu   	    M16		Oho
Kagayaki            M17
If you're new to the thread or new to sumo you should try out playing fantasy, it really helps you follow storylines around the basho.

We have an Ozeki back this time around! Hooray! We also have a M17 for this basho which could make for some movement at the lower ranks.

Please enter your draft in the following format:

Y/O:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

S/K:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

M1-5:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

M6-10:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

M11+:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

If you've never played Fantasy before, check out the rules. In brief: just choose 3 guys at each rank, and you'll be drafted a team of dudes. That's all you really need to do, although you can trade during the first week if you want (most people don't). It's really fun and helps you get more familiar with lower-ranked guys.

Get your draft picks in by midnight Pacific time. I will do the draft for Sunday! Sumo Banzai!!

I'm not going to draft a team for this tournament but I will keep track of wins, losses and other points from the rikishi here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qJhrRTrTIcoUl5PmpojBEb-i3z4cD-MXz4SPRTKARvo/edit?usp=sharing

I'm not going to keep track of individual scores, but it should be pretty easy for someone to keep track of their own score with a quick look at the sheet.

It's open for everyone to view.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

I'm back from my vacation and I updated the general score sheet as seen here, spoilers of course if you haven't seen up to day 9: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qJhrRTrTIcoUl5PmpojBEb-i3z4cD-MXz4SPRTKARvo/edit?usp=sharing

I made some changes: In the Wins column, you can now see quickly anyone who has a KK as their number in the Wins column will be highlighted in Green instead of Red. Secondly, the rest of the columns after that add up the rest of the points based off of our scoring system. The points leader counting Wins, KK, Yusho, Jun-Yusho, Kinboshi, etc. will be highlighted in blue.

Thoughts on Day 9:

MEISEI! Beautiful way to keep Teru off balance and keep control of the match. He's also our points leader at 9 since he's tied for the lead and has the extra point from the Kinboshi.

WMH with a great twisting move against Hoshoryu to take the win. Also the staredown was great.

Hoping that Takakeisho gets his KK so he can sit out, his knees need more healing.

Hokuseiho is doing great, but I don't know how long simply being a giant will do. He's got some moves but will need to refine them to stay at the top. Being 6'8" makes it really easy for people to get under your center of balance. 7-2 is still a great record on day 9.

Aoiyama looks to be possibly dropping out of the top division unless if he can string together a few wins. I hope he does.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Brut posted:

Keep in mind that on top of being a giant, Hokuseiho is the youngest guy in the top division right now and the third youngest in all the paid raks (Atamifuji is a few months younger and Ochiai is almost 2 years younger than Hokuseiho), He's got plenty of time.

Completely agreed, being a literal meat mountain even among other rikishi has helped. I really hope to see him refine his style and him being in the Miyagino stable there's a high chance of that happening. Both of his losses this tournament come from his opponent getting in low, pushing his center of gravity up and then out of the ring.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Bentai posted:

IIRC, the reasoning was the loser "jumped" out of the ring and was in an entirely unrecoverable position to get back inside, so they considered him a dead body.

I'd have been down for a rematch though.

Yep, I was confused at first because it went fast but the slo-mo replay showed Ura jumping out which called for dead body judgement. I get the call.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

I'm more sad that they had Teru vs. Kiribayama today instead of on day 15. I think that would have created more drama if both won today.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Top points earners by rikishi for May 2023:

Terunofuji: 20 (14 wins, 5 yusho, 1 KK)
Asanoyama: 16 (12 wins, 3 jun-yusho, 1 KK)
Wakamotoharu: 14 (10 wins, 3 sansho, 1 KK)
Meisei: 14 (8 wins, 3 sansho, 2 kinboshi, 1 KK)
Hoshoryu: 12 (11 wins, 1 KK)
Oho: 12 (11 wins, 1 KK)

Anyone who took Meisei in their M6-M10 pick did well, same with Asanoyama or Oho in their M11-M17 pick.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Sadly coming in late on this so good luck to me:

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Kirishimi

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Hoshoryu
Kotonowaka

1-5:
Asanoyama
Onosho
Meisei

6-10:
Hokuseiho
Takanosho
Kinbozan

11-15
Hakuoho
Kotoeko
Gonoyama

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Kenning posted:

I said it before, I'll say it again: Nishikigi yusho. Surely you'll concede he's earned it.

Day 5 standings:

Makuuchi
code:
11.5	Kuros

:negative: everything looked so good on paper.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Tommy Mawashi yusho?

Tommy Bahama is already on the big side, I want to see a Tommy Bahama branded mawashi.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Thoughts so far on various rikishi this tournament:

Hokuseiho's inexperience is being exposed heavily now that he's fighting people who can overcome his "be big" strategy. I'm sure he will have a lot of lessons to be learned after the tournament back at the stable.

Hoshoryu looks to be nearly a lock for Ozeki promotion, for sure if he finishes with 12 wins or better.

It will be sad to see Aoiyama out of the Makuuchi division. On the flip side, it's great to see Tamawashi still holding his own at his age.

What the gently caress is Midorifuji doing? You are the smallest man there by both height and weight, stop getting into pushing battles with people who have 20-70 kgs on you.

Finally a couple of non-rikishi things, my husband watches with me mostly for the gyoji's outfits, he loves them. The one with the pink outfit is his favorite this tournament. I like the guy in purple more.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Kirishima
Takakeisho

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Kotonowaka
Daieisho

M1-5:
Asanoyama
Gonoyama
Meisei

M6-10:
Hiradoumi
Onosho
Takayasu

M11+:
Sadanoumi
Hokuseiho
Kagayaki

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

On the opposite end, you have Hokuseiho who looks weak even when he wins as of late.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is why I don't understand the hate for Abi. He doesn't do anything illegal, doesn't intentionally try to injure people, and he always does the same thing every time so everyone should be prepared for it

I like watching him lose too but I also don't hate on him. He's a one trick pony and that one trick got him to makuuchi so people need to just deal with it

I'm not a fan of his style of sumo but 4 henka attempts is excessive and I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't told to tone it down.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

E.Honda mirror match in some version of Street Fighter. Acceptable versions are: Super Turbo, 4 Ultra, Alpha 3, 5 or 6.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Helianthus Annuus posted:

personally i dont like the juryo idea, because its a lot more work to see the juryo bouts vs catching the top division highlights on NHK. i'm not trying to lurk discords for links to private videos and twitch streams that get taken down anyway, but respect to those who do

I think the idea is to pick a juryo contender and if there's a tie, the wrestler with the best record at the end of the tournament breaks the tie. No need to keep track and watch their matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Terunofuji
Takakeisho

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Daieisho
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Onosho
Ura
Asanoyama