Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Kotonowaka
Meisei

M1-5:
Daieisho
Nishikigi
Midorifuji

M6-10:
Ura
Hiradoumi
Endo

M11+:
Tochinoshin
Azumaryu
Mitoryu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

i feel like my brand of sumo is to start strong and fall apart after day 8, so i am sorry right now for everyone who has members of my team

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Day 4: in Juryo, Enho had a great match today and Hokuseiho looked great. Does having a tall heavy dude lean on you really tire you out that much?

Day 4: Leaning on smaller opponents is a tried and true effective strategy in basically all heavyweight combat sports.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I cursed Tochi I am sorry to Tochicrew.

Trade him for Azumaryu or Kotoshoho

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

acejackson42 posted:

Alright guys, I gotta clear this in my head.

Abi wins this thing, he's yokozuna, correct? Back-to-back tournament wins being the criteria? Or is there another qualifier?

Taka wins this, we already know he's yokozuna because they've said so. So if that happens, and no one ends up in the 33 win range, does that mean no ozeki? That almost seems rarer than no yokozuna.

Please correct my absolute ignorance.

You have to win back to back (generally) as an ozeki (this part is not negotiable) to become yokozuna, so no, Abi would not become yokozuna.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The lesson here is that sumo goons love explaining how one becomes a yokozuna.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Log082 posted:

Day 12: Shodai!

And Takakeisho isn't getting that rope this basho. If he keeps up this level of performance for another basho, though, I think he gets it.

Day 12: If he keeps up this level of performance, he isn't getting it any time soon because if he can't put together decisive performances now, he probably won't when he has to compete with low maegashira Asanoyama and a hopefully recovered Terunofuji for two wins in a row.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Give it enough time, and half the top division will be komusubi and above.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Daieisho
Kiribiyama

M1-5:
Tamawashi
Kotoshoho
Onosho

M6-10:
Takayasu
Hiradoumi
Endo

M11+:
Hokuseiho
Kinbozan
Takanosho

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

i hope y'all are ready for me to root for hokuseiho the way everybody roots for tochinoshin

i will only get worse if ochiai gets up to the top division too

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Kuros posted:

Gonna just bite the bullet and not trade. What will happen since the only Y/O is now out?

we all lose a bunch of points

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Day 9: Ochiai getting kachi-koshi already is nuts.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

In the spirit of sumo I am going to go kyujo intentionally this time since my rank will be preserved regardless. May this be a lesson to Kenning to never do something as dishonorable as choosing to have a wedding instead of running fantasy sumo again.

In all seriousness though, congrats Kenning!

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I welcome our incoming era where Hakuho super-prospects crush everyone else.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Boogalo posted:

There's fun stuff in Juryo it is worth the time to at least check the replays for Ochiai. We're going to see him in the top ranks very soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8svJMFWEgCs&t=618s

If he gets to 13 wins he has an extremely strong chance of being promoted to the top division after only three bashos.

The current record for fastest from debut to top division is nine. Absolutely insane.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Brut posted:

I think that record is if they started from Maezumo, just off the top of my head Ichinojo debuted at MS15 Tsukedashi (like Ochai) and spent 2 Basho in Makushita and then 2 in Juryo before being promoted, and there's been others with similar experiences.

Oh, oops.

Still nuts, but not as nuts as I thought it was.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I imagine Kiribiyama has sealed up an Ozeki promotion, which is neat, and Wakamotoharu should be in decent position to give it a go next time. The logjam might be finally breaking somewhat.

Also OCHIAI!

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Khizan posted:

One of my favorite sumo facts is that Terunofuji has had two successful ozeki pushes while having only spent five bashos competing in the lower sanyaku. Every basho he ever competed in as a komusubi or a sekiwake was part of a successful ozeki run. Not only that, every one of those five bashos was either a yusho or a jun-yusho.

Terunofuji is really good at sumo and it's a shame that his career has been so badly affected by injuries.

Terunofuji going from Ozeki to terrible injury to returning to Ozeki was one of the most impressive things I've seen in sports.

Then he added reaching Yokozuna and being dominant there when healthy to it.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Kirishima

S/K:
Daieisho
Hoshoryu
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Asanoyama
Nishikigi
Ura

M6-10:
Takayasu
Tamawashi
Kinbozan

M11+:
Hakuoho
Gonoyama
Daishoho

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 7, 2023

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

edited takakeisho out of my picks too, that's a shocker

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I assure you i picked nishikigi out of complete faith in him and not just because i have no faith in my usual strategies of picking who i think will do well

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

In fact I'll go further and say it was a miscalculation for hakuho to do that now. He should have done it if the kid gets to ozeki like the new kiri.

I mean if Hakuho had his way the kid would have debuted with the name. That he held off for the top division took all the patience he had, and as we have seen his patience for sumo bullshit is infinite.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Takayasu better start picking up some wins again soon. :arghfist:

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Flesnolk posted:

potentially odd sumo question: has anyone gone their whole career without going makekoshi? Obviously a full undefeated career is mathematically impossible, but beyond people who were only in the sport for about five minutes like Kototenzan I was wondering if anyone'd pulled it off

Shonanzakura had 3 wins over the course of a 7 year career.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Brut posted:

We still have at least two Ozeki next basho, though who knows if Takakeisho actually shows up.

With how sumo is, unless Takakeisho or Kirishima are incapable of walking I would expect both to at least compete until their record is way underwater.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

As much as I have enjoyed CHAOS SUMO I hope we're entering an era of a bit more stability.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Kirishima
Takakeisho

S/K:
Daieisho
Abi
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Onosho
Shodai
Takayasu

M6-10:
Hokuseiho
Atamifuji
Shonannoumi

M11+:
Roga
Tamawashi
Sadanoumi

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 11, 2023

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Shiroc posted:

Terunofuji has only had 6 full basho as yokozuna and 8 where he was partially or fully absent. Kisenosato was 2 and 10. Sumo Association has to be pretty desperate to get one of the young healthy guys into the role and actually have their top guys participating.

I assume part of why some of them are so harsh on Takakeisho is that they desperately wanted a Japanese Yokozuna instead of the continued total Mongolian domination on top of wanting a healthy Yokozuna in general.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Y/O:
Kirishima
Terunofuji
Takakeisho

S/K:
Ura
Takayasu
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Gonoyama
Wakamotoharu
Tobizaru

M6-10:
Hokuseiho
Asanoyama
Sadanoumi

M11+:
Onosato
Onosho
Churanoumi

Juryo:
Daiamami
Mitoryu
Kagayaki

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Y/O:
Kirishima
Hoshoryu
Kotonowaka

S/K:
Nishikigi
Wakamotoharu
Daieisho

M1-5:
Onosato
Tobizaru
Takanosho

M6-10:
Gonoyama
Shodai
Mitakeumi

M11+:
Daiamami
Sadanoumi
Churanoumi

Juryo:
Hakuoho
Takarafuji
Kagayaki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

thank you onosato for carrying my otherwise terrible team i can't believe i didn't end up in the bottom 10 with how i started