Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
sumo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
more like "already" 25

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
sumo

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I feel like the hardest thing about retirement in their shoes would be saying goodbye to my strength and power, it must feel really bittersweet to go back to a normal human physique

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Kiho and Hakuoho have been underwhelming this basho

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Nativity In Black posted:

Granted that the sumo world had been going nuts about Hakuho being the second of his namesake, it's important to remember he's 19 and this is his fourth tournament as a pro. First in the top division. If he gets a KK, I'd say that's a satisfactory result.

Meanwhile Gonoyama has been going through makuuchi like it's jonidan, which is much more in line with what we were told to expect from Hakuoho.

And Kiho seems like he might just straight up be too small for juryo. Most of why I lump them in, aside from them being stablemates, is I think the shikona and the gold mawashi are both "calling one's shot" in a way that's just presumptuous if you don't follow through. Either one of them would break me in half easily, of course.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I had a feeling something like this would happen to Kiho. That's probably the end of him.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
prospects in this sport tend to instantly get injured in a way that wrecks their whole career, it was nice having Kiho while it lasted

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
potentially odd sumo question: has anyone gone their whole career without going makekoshi? Obviously a full undefeated career is mathematically impossible, but beyond people who were only in the sport for about five minutes like Kototenzan I was wondering if anyone'd pulled it off

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
makekoshi is losing record, not winning record

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

ullerrm posted:

There was an 1800s-era rikishi called Raiden who was never MKed, although there were only two tournaments per year back then.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi.aspx?r=3143
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raiden_Tameemon

FWIW, a lot of wrestlers from that era could technically claim that they never MKed, but the standards were different back then -- they didn't consider kyujo as a loss, and matches could end in draws (which also didn't count as a loss). Raiden is the only one from that era that actually just showed up and KKed every tournament he played in, as far as I know. Absolute unit.

I would be shocked if anyone in the modern era managed to go their entire career without an MK, short of "hosed around in Jonidan for a basho or two and decided to quit early."

for what it's worth I'm not convinced Raiden actually existed lol, but fair enough

Also I did specifically mention Kototenzan!

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Nativity In Black posted:

I was a little surprised that Nishikigi didn't win off the initial push to the rope

letting his opponent push him to the rope and then fighting off there seems to be an intentional part of Hakuoho's style, which I'm curious about; it seems insanely risky, but it definitely works more often than not

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
if a 400 pound man pulls off a successful henka on you, you probably deserved it, tbh

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
holy poo poo midorifuji, where was this sumo the rest of the basho?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
all that just to immediately choke, give Hakuho his shikona back

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
On the one hand apparently this is more or less how Hakuho did in his Makuuchi debut, so that's cool synergy. On the other, Chokeiai

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Brut posted:

it will probably never happen again
tbh I'm pretty sure we'll never get a yokozuna again, period. Especially since this is a sport where promising prospects instantly get horribly injured in a way where they're never much good ever again afterwards

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Archenteron posted:

I think Hakuho/Miyagino has said that trying to fix that is one of his long-term goals., depends on how many old men gotta cycle out of the JSA

I sure hope so, because his golden boy Hakuoho is clearly one more bout from losing use of that arm entirely

Ice Phisherman posted:

I mean, the sumo to professional wrestling pipeline is very real. It could happen. Or at least he might do a few guest appearances while he still has name recognition.

He could also just be a fan, pro wrestlers seem to like sumo a lot and vice versa - sumo is particularly popular with joshi wrestlers from what I gather

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Vargatron posted:

They really just need to axe the summer jungyo from the schedule and let the rikishi rest and recover. A couple months of rest would do wonders for the quality of the sport. Nobody is going to be able to recover when doing training in 100 degree heat.

We could probably do without the July basho altogether, especially if they're going to insist on putting it in Nagoya

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Khizan posted:

Hakuho's pretty new as an oyakata and he wasn't unanimously supported in his role. The JSA considered making him 'apprentice' as an oyakata for a lengthy period of time before being allowed to run his own stable, they made him sign a loyalty pledge about 'maintaining the spirit of sumo', failure to maintain proper behavior could result in his kabu being revoked, etc. It's not surprising at all that he's basically toeing the line right now, because he's not particularly popular with the higher ups in the JSA.

Keeping to tradition is the smart move for him right now, because he's 38 and the Hakkaku crowd is pushing 60. Time is on his side, as long as he's patient and avoids getting forced out of the JSA early.

also I have to imagine full modernisation doesn't exactly happen overnight. The stable isn't gonna suddenly look like an MMA gym

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
some of that also might be that the former Hakuho is on thin ice with the JSA and has to toe the line now

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
sumo...

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Lid posted:

medieval backwater of sport.

wow, gently caress the 90s sports media lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012