Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Let's try this:

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakatakakage
Takayasu

M1-5:
Nishikifuji
Tobizaru
Tamawashi

M6-10:
Oho
Ura
Hokutofuji

M11+:
Hiradoumi
Azumaryu
Chiyomaru

Average Lettuce fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jan 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Hoshoryu looking really good!

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Can I trade Nishikifuji for Daieisho or Abi? If not just let it be.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Thank you for organizing this Kenning, it was really fun! I really fell off on the second half, mostly due to Hoshoryu's injury, but all in all a good showing.

Something I noticed this basho is that the matchups during the basho seem a bit unfair. For example, I felt a bit sorry for Sadanoumi, he is M4 and through the first 10 matches or so he had to fight people above his rank with good scores, while he had a lot of losses (at a point he was 2-8). On the other hand, Kotonosho and Onosho were given easier matchups (even relative to their ranks), even when they had very positive scores. Seems to me that Sadanoumi was thrown to the wolves.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Khizan posted:

The upper maegashira ranks are meatgrinders, because they pad out the sanyaku schedules. Figure there’s one ozeki and eight junior sanyaku right now. They’ll all fight each other under normal circumstances, with some exceptions, but that still means that they all need seven or so other matches to fill out their schedules. Those matches come from the upper maegashira, generally, so it’s pretty common for rikishi to hits those ranks and bounce back down.

Makes sense, but it still felt for me that him in particular was getting tougher matchups than those around his ranking.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Just watched Kintamayama's highlights of the tournament through reddit, Daiesho's quarter-finals match was great. I also didn't expect Hoshoryu to be fighting so soon but he did pretty well.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

yay!

(Assuming that if Terunofuji doesn't make it, we just get Takakeisho by default)

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho
-

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Kiribayama
Wakatakakage

M1-5:
Midorifuji
Kotoshoho
Tamawashi

M6-10:
Takayasu
Hokutofuji
Sadanoumi

M11+:
Oho
Hokuseiho
Kinbozan

Edit - Congrats on the wedding!

Average Lettuce fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 7, 2023

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

whats for dinner posted:

I'm not 100% convinced that Hoshoryu's gonna be healthy given his attitude about competing on that damaged ankle probably lead to some pretty sub-par training without letting it heal but only time will tell!

I'm not sure either. He reached the final of the one day tournament, on the other hand he has said that the ankle still hurts, but he can compete...

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Starting to regret picking Oho, he does not look up for it.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Seeing Hokuseiho fighting Ichinojo made me realize how big Hokuseiho is lol

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Day 6: drat, the guys who win against Takakeisho take huge stacks of sponsorship money home. Is that actually a lot of money?

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

bessantj posted:

It can be, those envelopes carry around $300 in them so depending on how many are there and for the top bouts it could be up to 40, with Hakuho it could be over 60, that's a decent chunk of change for their retirement.

I actually thought it would be more (considering rikishi have short careers, they have to accumulate a lot to have a comfortable life after retirement). Still, it must feel nice to get it.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Kenning posted:

Day 9 standings:

Hey, after an horrible start, I'm doing pretty well! Glad I stuck with Oho and Hokutofuji (and got assigned Midorifuji even though he wasn't my first pick).

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Day 12: I guess that's it for Hoshoryo's hopes for the yusho, but it has been a pretty good showing after a bad start. Daieisho should run away with it, he has already fought all the top guys. Oho was the only one today providing points to my fantasy!

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Day 15: lol that both Kiribayama Daieisho matches went the same way, Daieisho powering forward and Kiribayama side-stepping at the last moment. The first one was quite something, the slow-motion showing Kiribayama applying force at the right place, right time.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Quite the jump for Kinbozan! Also, I'm glad that Oho didn't go down.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I usually check the charts from Fred Pinkerton but they haven't provided the latest one yet. Check fredpink.com for updates.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

drat, he was so dominant in Juryo. Oh well, I hope he gets better.

Bentai posted:

When did he pick up the back injury?

I don't know, but I would guess just from being a giant?

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Thanks for doing this! Here are my choices

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Kiribayama
Daeisho

M1-5:
Takayasu
Ura
Midorifuji

M6-10:
Hokutofuji
Onosho (not acutally sure if he is injured or not)
Meisei

M11+:
Asanoyama
Hokuseiho
Oho

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Day 1: Fun day, even though there were no upsets. My boy Hoshoryu lucky he didn't have to face Takayasu, I hope he gets back strong though. Other than that, I didn't expect Takakeisho to win in such fashion. Terunofuji outmuscled by Shodai (who isn't) but nice technique at the end.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Can I trade Takayasu for Ura or Midorifuji?

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Day 3: drat, Hoshoryu and Kiribayama with avoidable defeats today. I was thinking "Tobizaru can't go for the Henka again" and the mad lad did it... successfully this time!

Asanoyama seemed to have a very favorable call there, I think they should have had a repeat of the match.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Day 4: Wakamotoharu is looking really impressive, getting some tough wins. Takakeisho getting anonther lucky easy win. Terunofuji just bossing Tobizaru around, poor guy!

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Day 10: I really hope they start giving Asanoyama tougher matches. Tomorrow he is going against Meisei, which is fair. But he really does need to fight Terunofuji, Kiribayama and one of the other Sekiwakes.

I've seen a lot of people hating on Hokuseiho, but I think he uses his size very cleverly.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Because he's injured, I'm actually surprised he's doing so well.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Day 13: lmao at all the hype for the Terunofuji vs Asanoyama match and in the end it all seemed so simple for Teru. Kinda weird that we will have Teru vs Kiri tomorrow, are they expecting Teru to fight Takakeisho on the last day?

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

bessantj posted:

Terunofuji really seems to have Asanoyama number, 6 fights 6 wins.

He seems to have everyone's number, no losses do Hoshoryu and Kiribayama either.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Bentai posted:

Ochiai has been given a new shikona, Hakuoho.

Written like 伯桜鵬 (はくおうほう).

Somehow, this seems much harder to pronounce than Hakuho lol

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I'll take fifth place! Thanks for running it!

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Banzuke is up! https://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoBanzuke/index/

Hokuoho made it! Big jump for Hokuseiho. Asanoyama at #4, he will be facing the top rikishi right from the get go, it will be interesting to see how he fares.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Daeisho "You have to think about it"
Wakamotoharu "I'm trying not to think about it"

Nice contrast there!

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho
Kirishima

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Daeisho
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Asanoyama
Mitakeumi
Nishikigi

M6-10:
Takayasu
Hokutofuji
Kinbozan

M11+:
Hakuoho
Aoiyama
Gonoyama

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I'd like to trade for Nishikigi too please, if possible.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Hoshoryu vs Hakuoho tomorrow. If Hokutofuji loses, could be a yusho decider.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Kenning posted:

Down in juryo, Average Lettuce took the yusho

I'm confused, didn't Crusty Nutsack (lol) win?

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Kenning posted:

Wow okay yes that's correct I was very bleary-eyed writing up the post. Don't let the rest of the thread know, but I've written listing copy on e-commerce websites for so long that I can make a sixth-place finisher sound like a champion as long as no one looks at the scores. I've updated the post with a more accurate congrats to Crusty Nutsack.

I wouldn't mind winning! But still, a respectable result.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

The Algorithm recommended this video, which is pretty cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw3iow9Kn7g

It's so weird to see them celebrating their victories.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Shiroc posted:

Month between basho posting

Check out my sumo frogs

There is a yokozuna frog in the set but I haven't been able to get one.

Hello there friend!

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Kirishima
Takakeisho

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Kotonowaka
Daeisho

M1-5:
Hokutofuji
Meisei
Ura

M6-10:
Onosho
Takayasu
Kotoeko

M11+:
Hokuseiho
Nishikifuji
Kotoshoho

Average Lettuce fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Tomorrow matchups are very weird:

Kirishima vs Takayasu
Daieisho vs Takakeisho
Hokuseiho vs Hoshoryu
Asanoyama vs Atamifuji

They clearly were building up for a Kirishima vs Takakeisho final match but they don't want rikishi to go into the playoffs without having to face an Ozeki. It's going to be weird because all these matches will be meaningless if Atamifuji wins early in the day.