Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I could see Yokozuna Takakeisho with Ozekis Hoshoryu and Wakatakakage by the end of 2023. Heck, maybe even mid 2023.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Brut posted:

I don't think Wakamotoharu will be able to make it to the rank, but I'd be even happier if he proves me wrong, Ozeki brothers would be rad.

I want this to happen so I can use up the term Brozeki.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Wakatakakage
Hoshoryu
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Abi
Daieisho
Tamawashi

M6-10:
Oho
Ura
Myogiryu

M11+:
Tochinoshin
Kotoeko
Azumaryu

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Mode 7 posted:

Ride or die with my boys Hoshoryu and Tobizaru as always.
Ryuden and Ichinojo loving suck, but...

I can respect the hustle, but I think Ichi is suspended for this one.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Kiribayama was robbed

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Bad day for my team, but a good day for sumo.

Wakatakage vs Mitakeumi was something else. Has to suck for Waka holding that hard on the rope and still lose.

Good on Ura and Tobizaru!

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Takarafuji must have broken or sprained his wrist. He seemed to give up and his hand was just flopping around

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Yeah, that's why komusubi/m3+ is a real tough rank. Your entire first week is feeding the top of the sanyaku.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

I hope to see Bushozan vs Takakeisho some day. Two very round sumotori.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

I think Takakeisho is doing an excellent job of displaying why he deserves the rope. Every match he goes into you just expect him to win, and he keeps proving that expectation right, even when he isn't bowling people out of the dohyo in seconds.

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 15, 2023

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Good day of sumo!

I love when they show the rikishi's faces after a henka.

I'm happy that Ura is doing well this tournament despite still having a very weak tachii. He's such a goofy bastard and when it's working it's always very fun to watch. To think he was actually my second pick this time and I landed with him because everyone went for Oho!

I think this is the second tournament in a row I've seen someone not finish their plate with Ryuden. Glad it didn't bite Wakatakakage like it did the last person (if I remember correctly).

Wakamotoharu vs Hoshoryu was a fun match with some mind games and an unexpected outcome. The Waka bros seem to be staying lock step with their scores this tournament. I hope Hoshoryu is okay. It would very much suck to have to go kyujo when he's seemingly so close to ozeki.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Natto's video showed an interesting bit about that Hoshoryu bout. You could tell after the call he was looking for a mono-ii. On the way out he stopped to watch the slow motion replay.

I was also surprised at the lack of mono-ii until I watched the replay.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

This sucks, but has to be the right call long term. Hoshoryu is still relatively young so needs to prioritize his health and longevity. I imagine with this record he'll either land at komusubi or m1-2. That's going to be a hard first week in March. If anyone can overcome that it's Hoshoryu.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Apparently Kotoshoho wasn't happy with having a torinaoshi.

If Hoshoryu and Wakatakakage end up MK, then I don't know what to think about the ozeki field.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Bentai posted:

Day 11: Welp. Hamster ain’t getting the rope with a 13-2 yusho. But maybe in March if he keeps this up.

I don't know what counts as a "strong" yusho, but 13-2 seems reasonable since the previous 3 tournaments were, jun-yusho, 10+, jun-yushp

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Is it just me or does this seem like a particularly henka heavy basho?

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Log082 posted:

Day 12: Shodai!

And Takakeisho isn't getting that rope this basho. If he keeps up this level of performance for another basho, though, I think he gets it.

Looking grim for sure

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Brut posted:

Eh Asanoyama will either be in a top Juryo slot or a near bottom Makuuchi slot, pretty mundane either way.

As for sanyaku hmmmmm

I'm thinking:

Sekiwake: Wakatakakage and Hoshoryu (obviously), and Kiribayama as 3rd.
Komusubi: Wakamotoharu, Kotonowaka and Daieisho.

This is most likely, but I wouldn't be surprised if WMH or Kotonowaka also got a bump. Daiesho had an amazing performance this basho, but I don't see them skipping him over komusubi with how stacked the sanyaku currently is.

Chiyomaru is likely dropping to juryo. Tochi was mentioned dropping earlier this basho when he went kyujo. Tsurugisho as well?

What a weird basho. Three hair pulls. I think I've seen one or two in makuuchi since I started watching last January.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Imagine if keisho gets the rope and immediately goes kyujo.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

I think Sumo Prime Time is an acknowledgement that there is an English speaking audience out there, but taken in a vacuum it is quite weird. Imagine if it was your ONLY exposure. You'd see a handful of matches per basho. I know NHK does English highlights, but if you don't have full access to NHK or Abema is there any way to see all of the bouts?

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you go the blind box route and end up with duplicates, put em on sa mart

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

So it seems like the options for March are to join Natto's telegram or follow Kintamayama on Rumble?

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

I'm not an expert, but I think if Natto is doing unlisted YT videos, it might work for a bit. I think those only get take downs if there are contentID matches, which probably wouldn't apply to Natto's vids.

Is someone able to send an invite to his Discord?

Ed: nvm, it's pretty easy to Google. I can post a link if that's not too close to :files:

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 8, 2023

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Ham Equity posted:

I think we got tickets to the last day of the Haru Basho in Osaka. Seats look pretty good, Arena S.

I have a rough plan to be in Japan for the September Basho. Last day would probably be more interesting, but I think timing will mean that we'll probably be there for the beginning of the tournament (maybe first day).

Here's Natto's vid for that one day tournament: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjzqezI-jAA

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Well, the op of this thread is a great place to start. Also folks here will be happy to answer questions. Banzuke for the March tournament should be released in the next few weeks.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Kotoeko is a personal favorite of mine. He's a small dude but is absolutely jacked and he seems to never give up, which leads to some exciting bouts.

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 13, 2023

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

bessantj posted:

I think he said he scaled it back because it was so physically exhausting for him to cover all the days he did.

At first I was kinda confused by this. Like, it can't be that hard to cut 10 minute videos. But if one considers the fact that he was filming all divisions, each day, then sifting through that content for the 10 minutes and putting together a narrative, yeah I can see that being a lot.

I think it's also way more than most viewers actually care about? Like seeing some of the up and comers is cool, but I'm mostly interested in sekitori and I don't usually even watch juryo.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Banzuke is out Monday.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If Teru is still out I'd have pretty high expectations for the hamster to promote.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

I've learned from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f5mkiU6P-o that apparently it's still up in the air if Teru will be there at this basho. IMO, if he's not there, Takakeisho has a very good chance of promoting. It's very strange to hear this video discuss whether keisho is in 'Yokozuna Form' when it seems that the YDC is basically begging him to give them something they can promote on.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Wakatakakage
Hoshoryu
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Abi
Ryuden
Kotoshoho

M6-10:
Takayasu
Endo
Ura

M11+:
Bushozan
Oho
Kotoeko

Apparently Teru is officially out as of today.

Rooting for egg man #2 (bushozan) to do well on his debut in makuuchi

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Natto started a third channel to attempt to share videos: https://www.youtube.com/@nattosumo3

Not sure if the plan is to still do them unlisted or if they're just hoping to not get DMCA'd again

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Log082 posted:

Fun Shodai fact for newcomers:

His shikona, or ring name, is Shodai, which is based off of his real name, Shodai, and means Shodai.

I legit lol'd at this.

I get the impression with shodai that he'd be content just hanging out and watching his favorite shows in mediocrity, but he just happens to be one of the greatest sumo wrestlers alive right now so he's just doing what he can. Or at least that was what ozeki shodai came off as, now that he's not even sanyaku he seems a bit more motivated.

Or I'm projecting.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

My team is in the mud, but a lot of the other rikishi I like are doing well.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Average Lettuce posted:

Starting to regret picking Oho, he does not look up for it.

This is me with Bushozan. I picked the wrong debutante. And the one time I don't pick Ura he's off to a roaring start.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Brut posted:

Which promising tournaments?

I think there were a lot of folks (myself included) who thought he'd leveled up after that 10-5 run, but after the New Year and the start of this basho, that seems more like a fluke. Especially when newer newcomers like Hokuseiho and Kinbozan look much better.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Day 6:

Get it Kotoeko!

We'll see how things go in week two, but Kotoeko, Daiesho, and Takayasu are all looking real good.

WTK finally got a win!

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

What a wild basho. All ozeki and yokozuna out, and all of the sekiwake are underperforming. Komusubi are doing really well though. Weird considering it's normally a very hard rank, but it makes sense if the rest of the sanyaku is performing poorly.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Lid posted:

Serious vote: Wakamotoharu or Kotonowaka have good Ozeki chances.

Chaos vote: they're forced to repromote SHODAI and he just won't leave again.

Yeah the wild part of this is that WTK and Hoshoryu would normally be the rikishi that people would put in this conversation, but they're both having pretty bad tournaments. Would be eternally frustrating for WTK if he get's his first MK in 6 tournaments at sanyaku, but gets to keep his rank because the komusubi got catapulted to ozeki. (Same for Hoshoryu really, though he spent a couple of those tournaments komusubi, WTK was sekiwake the whole time.)

Edit: I also don't think we're at panic promotion time yet. If Teru is back in May, they may be content to let it ride, even if Keisho is out.

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Beeswax posted:

Hokuseiho out there making Kotoeko look like a small adult son

This match just further solidified me as a Kotoeko fan. The guy never gives up, and even looks competitive against dudes twice his size.