Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Beeswax posted:

If a rikishi is a one trick pony, you have every opportunity to counter it. One’s tone mad about it

This is why I don't understand the hate for Abi. He doesn't do anything illegal, doesn't intentionally try to injure people, and he always does the same thing every time so everyone should be prepared for it

I like watching him lose too but I also don't hate on him. He's a one trick pony and that one trick got him to makuuchi so people need to just deal with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
What a loving basho

The finals was whatever but that whole basho was awesome start to finish

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Love me some Shodes

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Fearless posted:

Rolling things up in this manner suggests to me that there was never any serious intention towards fixing the situation, just a desire to draw out the humiliation and avoid scandal.

Yep. They're not upset about the bullying, they're upset that it got exposed. And also they've been looking for any excuse to completely destroy Hakuho and this is it. They're still salty that the literal GOAT is Mongolian

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
What the gently caress is happening in this basho? Day 4 was completely nuts

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Day 5 was pretty unremarkable compared to yesterday until the last handful of matches and holy moly

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I still can't believe that Ura has beaten 3 of the Ozeki

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Fearless posted:

It's beautiful. I'm a devout fan of Kirishima and Hoshoryu both and it pains me to see Kirishima struggling this basho but I can't ever be upset with an Ura win.

This is exactly how I feel

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Lid posted:

Onosato is really really strong.

Densha Sumo is the best sumo

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/SarahLovesSumo/status/1769893251212079315

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Day 12 was insane

The Oonosato and Takerufuji matches were so tense, especially because they both just clowned Ozeki yesterday

But

Welp

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I normally have a very good memory in general but something about sumo just wrecks it because I swear Kakuryu was already a shimpan

:psyduck:

Also wasn't Aoiyama the guy who was badly injured in January and everyone thought he'd miss multiple bashos and get demoted so far that he'd basically be forced to retire since he'd be returning at such a low rank? And then he came back this past basho and somehow did pretty well anyway?

Or was that someone else?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

My favorite tenuous mawashi link is Akua, his name and pleasant colored mawashi in honor of Aqua World in his home town :effort:

He did take on the Big Salt crown after Terutsoyoshi tumbled down the banzuke though, mad respect for keeping Big Salt going, cause that poo poo gets the people PUMPED.

Akua stopped throwing big salt this last basho :(

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I like Meisei :(

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Kerrzhe posted:

ok that is hilarious

It's the funniest match ever

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I would love to know what Shodai's favorite anime is

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

lmao I love her videos

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
gently caress

Akebono was literally the guy who got me into sumo back in '96

:(

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Ice Phisherman posted:

So I have to know, how did you watch sumo all the way back in '96?

I thought I was smart because I found original episodes of Dragonball at six in the morning for Saturday morning cartoons in the mid nineties.

I was actually in Japan studying abroad for the summer :)

I wasn't able to watch every match of every basho after that summer but I was in college at the time so I could at least read results and watch low res clips that people would post

I dropped off sumo once the woman who is now my wife moved in with me in 2000 and, to my dismay, I missed out on the entirety of Hakuho's career :(

It's been really fun catching up on everything that's happened since I got back into sumo last July

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

pseudodragon posted:

July would have been a great jumping on point. Missing out on Hak's dominance sucks but coming in right at the transition is a good place to start. You already got to see the birth of 3 new Ozeki plus what could be a golden generation in the making with Onosato, Atamifuji, Takerufuji, Hakuoho, etc.

It's like you missed the season finale/close of a big arc of a show but jumped in right at the start of the next big thing so you're on the same page as everyone else and not missing out on the big storylines.

Yeah it's been great so far but Teru got injured in July and I really didn't get to see him at full power until January

The new Ozeki and the new batch of young guys fighting their way through the veterans have been a lot of fun to watch

Also, Shodai

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Use Google lens

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I just hope all the rikishi have fun