Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hirayuki posted:

しょだい

正代

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Y/O

Takakeisho

S/K
Hoshoryu/Wakatakakage/Takayasu

M1-5
Ryuden/Daieisho/Tobizaru

M6-10
Ura/Hokutofuji/Takanosho

M11-16
Tochinoshin/Kotoeko/Kagayaki

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Much nicer with the crowd into it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

So, I'd love to take part in the discussions (or at least read the posts), but since I usually watch the NHK highlights, I'm a day behind most posters.
Would it be possible to put a day number before the spoiler tags?

Day 1 : Shodai lost again

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Bentai posted:

If you want, NattoSumo on Youtube uploads recap videos every day with most of the pre-match ceremonies cut out, so you can get through a whole day of top rank in about a half hour or less.

But I like the NHK highlights commentary...and then I usually end up watching bits of other programs and pretend to brush up on my Japanese.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

If I could please swap Tochinoshin for Kotoeko or Kotoshoho.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Khizan posted:

The talk about kyujo protection and such has got me thinking about the sumo ranking system in general, and really I'm not sure that the problem right now is weakness at the top of the banzuke.

My logic here is that sumo ranks are set up to reward clearly dominant rikishi. You get sekiwake by stringing together consecutive KKs, and you lose it as soon as you MK. You get ozeki by reaching Sekiwake and then averaging 11 wins per basho over three consective bashos. Getting these ranks just doesn't require you to be good, it requires you to be clearly and definitively superior. The current failure of anybody to put up an ozeki run doesn't really mean "none of them are good", it means that none of them are enough of an outlier to consistently dominate the others. Looking at things now,, in the sanyaku we have Takakeisho, the Waka brothers, Hoshoryu, Kiribayama, and Kotonowaka, with the joi-jin also being filled out with Tobizaru, Daieisho, Abi, Ryuden, and Tamawashi. That's a lot of good rikishi. IMO the problem might not really be that nobody is good so much as that everybody is.

I partly agree, but then for example Wakatakakage keeps throwing away losses to low ranked rikishi. The opportunities has certainly been there, but the consistency hasn't.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Erhh, is this not available in the UK?
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/sumo/

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

some kinda jackal posted:

Yep I stand corrected. Then maybe it was just the fact that it was delayed that got me to move. Honestly it’s been so long since I used the highlights that I barely remember the experience so take whatI say with a grain of salt.

E: Oh ok yeah, no I’m remembering the problem now. When I was still waiting on NHK I was on my AppleTV and there was an NHK World app, but I think it was difficult to navigate and hard to find the on-demand stuff. Now that I’m on a Chromecast I don’t even have an NHK app I can load from their app store, and I’m not terribly interested in watching on my Mac or iPad so that’s another strike. But that’s against NHK in general, not the highlight specifically.

So I guess my complaint then comes down to accessibility. Anyway, I’ve talked it to death. Preference is strongly to watch one of the alternatives on YouTube since that’s easy, or at least some way that involves me flopping down on the couch to watch fat men wrestle on a big screen :)

Eh, flip to fullscreen and cast to your TV.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nativity In Black posted:

Kotoeko is a personal favorite of mine. He's a small dude but it's absolutely jacked and he seems to never give up, which leads to some exciting bouts.

That and he wins/loses gracefully.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Y/O:

Takakeisho

S/K:
Wakatakakage
Hoshoryu
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Ruyden
Midorifuji
Nishikigi

M6-10:
Ura
Myogiryu
Ichiyamamoto

M11+:
Kotoeko
Kagayaki
Kinbozan

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Tuna in Japanese is 'maguro'?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-iI-7nBwBw

Nice little feature on Tochinoshin.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Y/O
Kirishima
Teronufuji

S/K
Wakamotoharo
Kotonowaka
Daieisho

M1-5
Midorifuji
Ura
Nishikigi

M6-10
Hokuseiho
Kinbozan
Myogiryu

M11+
Kotoeko
Ryuden
Aoiyama

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I missed Ishiura retired!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Vargatron posted:

But it's such an unnecessary nitpick to demand specific shades of blue on grown men. The JSA always focuses on the completely wrong thing.

Eh, it's fairly typical Japanese behaviour, especially for traditional arts.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Halser posted:

any specific reason to make blue the only allowed color? There's usually a cultural reason behind every odd rule they set out.

Indigo is a traditional Japanese dyeing method and it's most likely tied to that.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

One of my buddies is a tattoo artist in Tokyo... a large chunk of his clients are foreigners.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Y/O

Kirishima
Hoshoryu
Takakesijo

S/K
Wakamotoharu
Nishikigi
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Ura
Gonoyama
Abi

M6-10
Kotoeko
Ryuden
Kinbozan

M11+
Aoiyama
Hokuseiho
Nishikifuji

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Y/O:
Kirishima
Hoshoryu
Takakeisko

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Kotonowaka
Hokutofuji

M1-5:
Ura
Tobizaru
Asanoyama

M6-10:
Kinbozan
Kotoeko
Takanoho

M11+:
Roga
Takarafuji
Nishikifuji

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Finally got caught up and was surprised to see that I got my first KK in juryo!.
I'll do my best to continue falling upwards!
(Picking Roga was a bad idea)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Y/0
Kirishima
Hoshoryu
Terunofuji

S/K
Ura
Kotonowaka
Takayasu

M1-5
Wakamotoharu
Tobizaru
Gonoyama

M6-10
Kinbozan
Mitakeumi
Meisei

M11-17
Bushozan
Takarafuji
Aoiyama

Juryo:
Kotoeko
Mitoryu
Roga

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Mr. Fix It posted:

neither japan nor mongolia recognizes dual citizenship, yes. japan just says you gotta make an effort to renounce additional citizenships, so it's possible he hasn't actually renounced mongolian citizenship. there aren't any bureaucrats, in either country, following up on that regularly, and the countries aren't sharing notes on who they consider to be citizens in general. i do think he probably renounced mongolian citizenship, tho. in which case lol

Before my country of birth (Denmark) allowed dual citizenship, they most definitely checked when I went to renew my passport. (I'm now living in Canada).

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Kirishima
Hoshoryu

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Nishikigi
Daieisho

M1-5:
Asanoyama
Tobizaru
Midorifuji

M6-10:
Kinbozan
Gonoyama
Hokutofuji

M11+:
Ryuden
Roga
Endo

Juryo:
Wakatakage
Hakuoho
Aoiyama

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I don't know if it's been mentioned here before, but Disney+ got a cute sumo-series:
https://www.disneyplus.com/en-ca/series/sumo-do-sumo-dont/35RKAHulSVtc

Lots of typical tropes, etc, but I enjoyed it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Remind me how auto-trades work? Do I pick one, or do I get one of the alternates I originally listed?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yeah, staying with autotrades

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Bentai posted:

https://twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/1769600224799137918
Little Big Salt, Terutsuyoshi has retired.
I hope he gets to enjoy his retirement with his wife and their adorable zoo of animals.

I was wondering what happened to him. Too bad, he was fun to watch.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I resolved to stick with Nishikigi instead of trading him, and it hurt my stable. It hurt it very much. I will ganbarize and train in the off-season as I perfect my brand of sumo.

Hey, try having both Nishikigi and Kirishima.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Beeswax posted:

Dark days

Yeah, I liked watching him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

So, did we come up with a solution for Kenning potentially not having time to run fantasy sumo ? Or was I misreading that?