Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Honestly, I think they won't start pressuring Teru to resign for a long while. A longterm kyujo yokozuna might not be the best look, but IMO it's a lot better than shining a light on their total lack of ozeki prospects right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Takakeisho
Takakeisho

S/K:
Wakatakakage
Hoshoryu
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Abi
Ryuden
Tobizaru

M6-10:
Onosho
Oho
Myogiryu

M11+:
Kotoshoho
Kagayaki
Okinoumi

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

He could, though.

Sure, he'd lose rank, but who cares? Honestly, his best chance of winning a yusho is to go kyujo to rest/recover from injuries and then spend the first week of the next basho can crushing in the lower maegashira.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I think they'll be tempted to do it just so that he gets locked in as yokozuna-ozeki and solves their banzuke issue until they have to medically retire one of them.

I do have to admit that I want to see Kotoshoho take it, though, just because everybody has Takakeisho on their fantasy roster so a win from him is sorta score neutral.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 22, 2023

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Thanks for running this, it’s always a ton of fun.

Average Lettuce posted:

Something I noticed this basho is that the matchups during the basho seem a bit unfair. For example, I felt a bit sorry for Sadanoumi, he is M4 and through the first 10 matches or so he had to fight people above his rank with good scores, while he had a lot of losses (at a point he was 2-8). On the other hand, Kotonosho and Onosho were given easier matchups (even relative to their ranks), even when they had very positive scores. Seems to me that Sadanoumi was thrown to the wolves.

The upper maegashira ranks are meatgrinders, because they pad out the sanyaku schedules. Figure there’s one ozeki and eight junior sanyaku right now. They’ll all fight each other under normal circumstances, with some exceptions, but that still means that they all need seven or so other matches to fill out their schedules. Those matches come from the upper maegashira, generally, so it’s pretty common for rikishi to hits those ranks and bounce back down.

When you get down to it, M4 is one of the top 15-20 rikishi. They’re going to have to fight the best opponents because they’re supposed to be one of the best themselves.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jan 23, 2023

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I'm not really surprised Takakeisho didn't get the rope here. He's put together 24 wins over two bashos as the only competitive ozeki, and if he had been a yokozuna over those two bashos he'd have given up three kinboshi. It's not the kind of dominant performance that screams yokozuna, to me. Sure, 24 wins is yokozuna promotion if that's two 12-win yushos, but it wasn't so it isn't. And the truth is that he doesn't have the a solid record of performance that would encourage them to give him the bump anyways. He's held ozeki for a long while, but it's been a rough while. He's frequently kadoban because of injuries, and often comes back just to scrape out an 8-7 to keep the rank. And despite breaking out a few throws this time around, he's still very much a one-note rikishi with a history of gassing out if his opponent can take that first charge.

IMO there's even odds that if they gave him the rope he'd go out with an injury and come back with another pair of 8-7s, and if that happens then it would look like they overpromoted an underperforming rikishi so so that they could say they have another Japanese yokozuna.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The talk about kyujo protection and such has got me thinking about the sumo ranking system in general, and really I'm not sure that the problem right now is weakness at the top of the banzuke.

My logic here is that sumo ranks are set up to reward clearly dominant rikishi. You get sekiwake by stringing together consecutive KKs, and you lose it as soon as you MK. You get ozeki by reaching Sekiwake and then averaging 11 wins per basho over three consective bashos. Getting these ranks just doesn't require you to be good, it requires you to be clearly and definitively superior. The current failure of anybody to put up an ozeki run doesn't really mean "none of them are good", it means that none of them are enough of an outlier to consistently dominate the others. Looking at things now,, in the sanyaku we have Takakeisho, the Waka brothers, Hoshoryu, Kiribayama, and Kotonowaka, with the joi-jin also being filled out with Tobizaru, Daieisho, Abi, Ryuden, and Tamawashi. That's a lot of good rikishi. IMO the problem might not really be that nobody is good so much as that everybody is.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I've always liked Takarafuji's whole 'sumo salaryman' thing. Dude's been floating in the upper maegashira for the better part of a decade. Went up into the sanyaku a few times, hit the double digits a few times, but most of the last 10 years has been spent somewhere between M1-9.

As for the rikishi that piss me off, I guess it's any of the smaller rikishi whose gameplans seem to consist of doing this number, but with leg throws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0SoKWLkmLU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Nativity In Black posted:

At first I was kinda confused by this. Like, it can't be that hard to cut 10 minute videos. But if one considers the fact that he was filming all divisions, each day, then sifting through that content for the 10 minutes and putting together a narrative, yeah I can see that being a lot.

Figure, six bashos a year is ~13 weeks of sumo with half of that being spent out of town in hotels. I'm pretty sure he posted somewhere about how that was a lot of fun to do for a year but it's not sustainable with the other things he needs/wants to do with his time.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Wakatakakage
Wakamotoharu
Hoshoryu

M1-5:
Onosho
Abi
Kotoshoho

M6-10:
Nishikifuji
Sadanoumi
Myogiryu

M11+:
Kagayaki
Daishoho
Kinbozan

Khizan fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 10, 2023

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Non-kyujo trades are for cowards.

Trade Request: Trading Wakatakakage for Kiribayama, Kotonowaka, or Wakamotoharu.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

How long has it been since we've had a basho with no ozeki and no yokozuna in play? My gut says you'd have to go back to WWII or so to find one, but I can't figure out how to query it on sumodb.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Gonna laugh so hard when the next ozeki ends up being Shodai.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Kenning posted:

Interestingly, Takakeisho withdrawing early dropped the high scores this basho, but didn't really drop the low scores. I'm not sure what this means, if anything.

The highest scores have a lot of KKs on their team, with the winners often getting the gino-sho for a no-MK team, so losing a KK here brought them all down. The lowest scores, on the other hand, have a lot of MKs and so a guaranteed MK doesn't really change them much.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Threads aren't a limited resource. Can always try a basho thread and see how it goes.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Beeswax posted:

Feel free to paste the contents, the page can't be viewed in EU

This is a straight copy/paste of the article, google translated from Japanese. I've made no attempts to edit it for readability.

quote:

Former sekiwake Ichinoseki (30), who announced his sudden retirement at the Ryogoku Kokugikan on May 4, spent days drowning in alcohol and refused to practice until just before that, according to an interview with "Weekly Bunshun". have understood.

At a press conference where his master Minato Oyakata (former Makuuchi member Minato Fuji) was also present, he said that the reason for his retirement was "worsening back pain", but it was related to the supporters' association of the room. A person tells the truth. "It's true that back pain had become chronic, but that's just the ostensible reason. Since April, Ichinojo has skipped training without permission and has been drinking and drinking. The reason he took the form of retirement was not dismissal. , It was the master's last 'parental affection'." The rift in the teacher-student relationship dates back to the fall of 2021.

Master Minato made Ichinoshiro live in a sumo stable in Kawaguchi City, Saitama Prefecture, but it was discovered that Ichinoshiro secretly slipped out night after night and went out to Mongolian pubs with his Mongolian friends. Ichinojo, who was reprimanded by Master Minato, is said to have vented his dissatisfaction that he was not accepted to live alone. “The reason why the master and his wife kept Ichinojo in the sumo stable was because they were concerned about his bad drinking habit. (Same as above) As a result of the discussion, Ichinojo, who wanted to be independent, vowed to refrain from drinking, so Master Minato allowed him to live alone at the end of 2021. However, in less than two months, Ichinosero drank too much and skipped the morning practice. After being scolded by his master again, Ichinojo later declared to Master Minato: "From now on, I won't talk to my master unless I go through a lawyer." While the teacher-student relationship is dysfunctional, Ichinojo won the Nagoya tournament for the first time in July last year. However, the following month, Ichinosero got drunk and made a hole in the work of the Japan Sumo Association. Even after that, Ichinojo's behavior did not improve, and Master Minato reported to the association as follows. ``Ichinojo doesn't listen to anything.

At the end of the same year, the Sumo Association took disciplinary action against the master and pupil, and Ichinojo was suspended from participating in one tournament. Ichinoshiro vowed to abide by the rules of the Sumo Association and the rules of the room, and once again declared abstinence from alcohol. In March of this year, after the suspension, Ichinojo won the juryo championship in Osaka, but immediately after that, at the end of March, a decisive “incident” occurred. "Ichinoshiro invited many friends to his room, and they're getting drunk and making noise. It's noisy and annoying." Master Minato immediately warns Ichinojo. After that, he lost contact with Ichinojo and stopped coming to practice. On the other hand, around his apartment, Ichinojo was often seen drinking until the early hours of the morning. ``It seems unlikely that he will change his mind anymore, and the master decided that there was no other way but to retire from Ichinojo.

It was two days before the retirement interview that the discussion finally came true. It is said that when the master pressed for a decision, Ichinojo replied lightly. "Then I'll quit." After the retirement interview, Kozhi hit Master Minato directly. ――Isn't the real reason for your retirement the collapse of the teacher-student relationship? "It's as I said at the press conference. However, if you feel that way from the side, I can't say anything." Bunshun” released on May 10th (Wednesday), the trouble with alcohol that Ichinojo caused in the past, the “disconnection” with the master who only talks through a lawyer, and the Mongolian connections that flocked to Ichinojo, Minato Report on detailed questions and answers when hitting the master directly.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Man, M6-10 is a loving graveyard this time around.

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Kiribayama
Hoshoryu

M1-5:
Abi
Nishikifuji
Takayasu

M6-10:
Hiradoumi
Onosho
Takanosho

M11+:
Asanoyama
Hokuseiho
Aoiyama

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Mode 7 posted:

Y/O: Wishful thinking on my part that Terunofuji is going to be coming back at full strength, perhaps.

I don't think he'll be at full strength, but I do think that whatever condition he is in will be better than a Takakeisho who shouldn't be competing at all but feels forced into it because he's kadoban.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

One of the things about Hokuseiho is that he's never had a 'real' make-koshi. The only time he failed to get his KK was when he went kyujo on the second day of Kyushu 2021. Other than that he's never put up a score worse than 5-2/9-6 despite his sumo style being "be huge and let them get tired trying to shove you". I think he's mostly got a case of "It's not broken so I'm not fixing it" and he's not going to change things up until he starts losing and has to.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The ranking system only works if you follow the ranking system, is the problem.

Right now the joi are all fighting each other. If you swapped Asanoyama up to put him against, idk, Abi or Ura or Tobizaru or somebody else you might consider a valid opponent for somebody of Asanoyama's skill, then who is their previous opponent going to fight? Right now, those three are facing Daiesho, Terunofuji, and Takakeisho respectively. Letting them dunk on a lower maegashira really isn't any more fair than letting Asanoyama do it.

And if you say "well, he's former ozeki and he's clearly still got it, so we're gonna treat him like he's M1e and we'll book the entire basho like all the maegashira are one rank lower", that's really not fair to Asanoyama, because he'd be getting the hardest schedule despite having no room to fall if the sanyaku gave him a beating.

The way it's working now is the best way to do it imo. It's the least disruptive to the system and he'll be in the joi for July and back in the sanyaku for September as long as he doesn't drop the ball.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

The square on view of Teru's clamps wrapped around Ura was absolutely savage, is it even possible to get out of that? :stare:

Depends on how badly you want to keep your arms.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Robviously posted:

who Teru fights from this point. Asanoyama can't be too far away should they both continue winning

I don't think Asanoyama fights Teru this basho at all unless it goes down to a playoff. Not counting tonight, there are five days of bouts left and he still has five sanyaku he hasn't fought yet: Kiribayama, Daieisho, Hoshoryu, Wakamotoharu, and Takakeisho. I don't think there's any way they cut a yokozuna/sekiwake or yokozuna/ozeki bout to schedule a yokozuna/M14, not when the sekiwake/ozeki have all been doing this well.

Also, thanks a bunch for running the goon jungyo. Having a team to root for makes following the basho a lot more fun, imo.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Whoever it was that said that "BE BIG" was the best way to cheer for Hokuseiho was absolutely right. Be big, Hokuseiho. Be big.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ugh. Why even come back when the MK is in the bag? Sit out, rest up, take the easy schedule next time around.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Day 12: Kiribayama reaches 33 wins with 3 days left to go, looks like we have a new ozeki.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

One of my favorite sumo facts is that Terunofuji has had two successful ozeki pushes while having only spent five bashos competing in the lower sanyaku. Every basho he ever competed in as a komusubi or a sekiwake was part of a successful ozeki run. Not only that, every one of those five bashos was either a yusho or a jun-yusho.

Terunofuji is really good at sumo and it's a shame that his career has been so badly affected by injuries.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

His shikona is relatively new, you probably heard him referred to by his actual name before this, Daiki Nakamura. He’s won two amateur Yokozuna titles so he got to start at makushita 10, where he went 6-1.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The Waka brothers are all named after the three brothers(Takamoto, Motoharu, and Takakage) from the Japanese parable “the lesson of the three arrows”, so I don’t think one would change their name and ruin their whole name scheme.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

May go back and revise these, but this weekend is busy and I want to make sure I remember to get picks in.

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Kirishima
Takakeisho

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Daieisho
Hoshoryu

M1-5:
Asanoyama
Tobizaru
Shodai

M6-10:
Nishikifuji
Hokuseiho
Kinbozan

M11+:
Hakuoho
Gonoyama
Shonannoumi

Marching Powder posted:

i still think every rikishi should be able to dip out of any 1 tournament a year for whatever reason without rank penalty.

The problem with this is that the rank system only works if everybody is always moving around. Start letting people freeze once a year and the promotion/demotion cycles into juryo/makuuchi are going to start getting really locked up.

I think a better solution would just be to go to five bashos a year. Kill the July basho and let them have a real offseason when the weather is at its worst.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 7, 2023

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

FART BOSS posted:

M11+:
Wakatakakage
Chiyoshoma
Hakuoho

I’m actually in Japan until Tuesday as it so happens. Won’t make it to Nagoya sadly but hope to catch a little bit of the first days of the basho on hotel TV if I can. Might even eat some chanko nabe in ryogoku if I can get a reservation.

Wakatakakage is going to be kyujo (out with an injury) for the next few bashos, so you probably want to choose another here. Just go back and edit the post to reselect, no need to post full second list.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

wodin posted:

They did a fantastic job making Honda's animations look way more like actual sumo though, it's genuinely impressive how they married the necessary stylization that a video game requires with actual sumo techniques.

My one complaint about Honda is that his World Tour mode intro has him doing a dohyo-iri, but he's not a yokozuna.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Vargatron posted:

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho
Kirishima (kyujo?)

M11+:
Wakatakakage
Hakuoho
Endo

Kirishima is in, but Takakeisho and Wakatakakage are both out

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If jumping in late to earn a few wins is good enough for Takayasu it’s good enough for anybody imo.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I went with Hakuoho/Gonoyama/Shonannoumi for my M11+ picks just because I felt like all the other established names down there were a coin toss on injuries. Healthy first-timers seemed like a better bet. Glad to see Endo actually putting up numbers, though. It's always sad to watch people fall down the ranks.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Would like to trade Asanoyama for Nishikigi, Tobizaru, or Ura.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

That was Shodai imo. He’s not blind, but he did have that “stumbled into the dohyo by mistake and somehow got a KK” thing going for him.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

loving day 14 of his fourth basho as a professional sumo wrestler and Hakuoho is a legit yusho contender in a position to kill an ozeki run. loving amazing. Super excited to see where he goes from here.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Nativity In Black posted:

Beating HakJr and losing to Hokutofuji in a play off would probably also lead to a dicey decision

Very high stakes tomorrow!

33 wins and a playoff loss to a vet like Hokutofuji? Nothing dicey about that imo, especially because Hokutofuji is from Hakkaku’s stable. I doubt he’d want to go “My heyagashira is so poo poo that losing to him means you can’t be an ozeki”

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Brut posted:

I'll believe the reforms when I see them, as it is, from the videos of training and from how their guys are fighting just as injured, I'm thinking the only reforms are "we bought a brand new building" instead of "we rented a basement of an old building".

What are they supposed to do about fighting injured? They don't set the banzuke and determine promotions. Anybody who wants to gain/keep ranks has to fight injured and there's nothing Miyagino/Nishonseki can do about that from their positions in the JSA. Sure, he could say "Hakuoho, sit this one out, let that arm rest", but that would mean he'd just go 0-15 at M17, end up down in the bottom of Juryo again, and maybe take another two bashos to climb back out of that hole.

Reforms there are a long term goal that will require more sway in the JSA than they currently have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Communist Thoughts posted:

Re: miyagino

I was also a little disappointed to see that hakuhos stable is very much traditional, it doesn't really look modernised much at all

Hakuho's pretty new as an oyakata and he wasn't unanimously supported in his role. The JSA considered making him 'apprentice' as an oyakata for a lengthy period of time before being allowed to run his own stable, they made him sign a loyalty pledge about 'maintaining the spirit of sumo', failure to maintain proper behavior could result in his kabu being revoked, etc. It's not surprising at all that he's basically toeing the line right now, because he's not particularly popular with the higher ups in the JSA.

Keeping to tradition is the smart move for him right now, because he's 38 and the Hakkaku crowd is pushing 60. Time is on his side, as long as he's patient and avoids getting forced out of the JSA early.