Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Hello, old goon re-reg here. I started watching sumo about 2 years ago (just missed the Hakuho era) and am excited to watch and post about the January basho. I usually leave midnightsumo's Twitch running 24/7 during a basho, but it will have to split time with AGDQ this year.

Too lazy / busy today to fill out a fantasy team, but good luck to everybody!

SHODAI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Nooooo, midnightsumooooo! drat.

I'll try another channel, but just drat.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Not sure if Shodai's 2-2 record is impressive or lackluster. The most Shodai of early results.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Aoiyama looks cooked, and now maybe injured as well. Take care, Big Dan :(

Ura so close! He should be fine after this with some lower ranked opponents

Abi still hates necks, but now he can pull on them too!

Pissed off Teru is a scary, scary man.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Fuckin' Shodai, man. Fuckin' Shodai.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Man, that sucks about Hokutofuji.

Also, fuckin' Shodai, man. Took the night off after his kinboshi.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Ura Atta boy Ura, the road to 8-7 starts here!

Shodai still napping after the kinboshi, but at least there was some brief chaos

Abi Love a good henka

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Onosato hit his first wall in Kotonowaka. Just looked helpless in there. Time to see how well he can adapt, and learn from losses.

Tamawashi / Atamifuji SPIN2WIN

Terunofuji Sometimes you just wanna throw a guy, y'know?

Ura :smith:

SHODAI Showed some effort, but not quite enough. Just Shodai things

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Teru / Ono Hot drat, I thought the kid had a chance for a second there. At least he didn't seem totally lost like he was against Kotonowaka. Good clash, just got baited into going off balance by the wily old vet. Kid seemed nervous the whole time he was out there, and who wouldn't be. He's still got his KK, and has looked decent against the top top guys (except Koto) so he's got plenty to build on for sure. Onosato vs Hokuoho bouts for the next 15 years! Hail Saton!

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
What a night of sumo! Was literally pacing around in the lead up to those final two matches.

Ura Never touched! Magic fingers at work again. Okay he probably did but hey, the judges ruled he won. We take those.

SHODAI Knew when it went to a rematch Shodai was going to lose quick. He doesn't want to fight once a night, let alone twice.

Hoshoryu crying after losing. I felt that. And he couldn't even go to the back.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Medenmath posted:

Are there no other roles someone like that could take on? I kind of assumed the yobidashi are like that, intense sumo fans but who didn't have the right build or athletic ability. Maybe he could have been one of the special hairdressers. But I guess those roles are also very limited in availability, and I suppose by connections/family/whatever.

I think if you were known as the absolute worst at something, you might want to move on to something else after 6 years. Plus I don't think sticking around in that environment would be very fun either, even if people were nice about it.

quote:

Anyway,

I'm still very new to sumo, but I have come to understand that only Shodai could get a kinboshi in the same basho he got an MK and a loss to someone with a 1-10 record or whatever it was at the time.

The first sumo basho I stumbled across was the Fall one in 2020 that Shodai won, and got the Ozeki promotion from. It's been a wild (mostly downhill) ride since, but yeah, that's kinda his deal.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Rude of them to make my beautiful sons Ura and Shodai fight, but it was a fun match. Chaos vs Magic.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Got those "first night after the basho and don't know what to watch" blues. At least we got some prime Ura on the final night.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
He ain't his dad, but he is his daddy.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I'm joining for the next basho and yeah, it's just gonna be my stable of Good Boys. Plus Shodai.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
First time playing. Let's go!

Y/O
Hoshoryu
Kotonowaka
Terunofuji

S/K
Nishikigi
Daiesho
Wakamotoharu

M1-5
Ura
Tobizaru
Oho

M6-10
Tamawashi
Gonoyama
SHODAI

M11+
Daiamami
Endo
Ichiyamamoto

Juryo
Shishi
Shiden
Shimanoumi

Edit- vvvv Ooh, gimme pink if possible like my boy Ura, please. Thank you! vvvv

Paying2Lurk fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 7, 2024

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Yeah, midnightsumo is my go to. Plays the Abema stream from start to finish, and replays it all day during bashos. They also insert different commercials and cooking videos when Abema is showing the same 3 commercials over and over.*

The only things I dislike is that they won't show replays of potential injuries. Or rather, they cut away while Abema is replaying it over and over. And the chat can be annoying, but that's just Twitch so it's whatever.

*Edit to add - This is how I learned about the Tommy Lee Jones commercials for Boss Coffee, as well as the full Long Long Man Saga. And my life is richer for it.

Paying2Lurk fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 9, 2024

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
The first 3 hours or so of each day make for good background noise. I like the mostly empty arena vibes. And the yobis, gyoji and PA announcer all doing things in their specific rhythm make it kind of meditative. I keep it on while doing mundane work tasks or playing a game.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Yeah, when I say the chat there can get annoying it's far from the usual Twitch chat dumb stuff. Just people getting a little too weird / precious about some of the rikishi and stuff like that. Overall it's very good and dumb Twitch antics get shut down quickly.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Day 2 and chaos already reigns.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
It's either some weirdo(s) with a grudge mass reporting the channel, or the 80s Pepsi commercials they played yesterday triggered some DMCA bullshit. The channel was back up in a few hours last time so I'm not too worried, but it really sucks that it can happen so many times in a row and so quickly.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Hoshoryu is the only rikishi on my team that's above .500 right now. Oof.

But I still believe in Team Good Boys. No trades.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

ullerrm posted:

My team's off to a rough start. It breaks my heart to see Tamawashi at 1-4, but I just can't bring myself to abandon the Old Man. No trades for this basho, I think, and hopefully the boys will turn it around.

Ura has been a goddamned delight this basho and I think I need to start picking him more often.

Big same with Tamawashi. I still think he can pull off a kk, but it's been a tough week so far for sure.

And as someone who did draft Ura, I can say it somehow makes every Ura match even more of a rollercoaster.

My biggest disappointment so far is Daiamami. Stop making your mom in the stands sad!

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Rest well, Kaiju. I'd love to see him skip May too, but we know that's not The Sumo Way.

In happier news (for me anyway), 2 wins in a row for Daiamami. The 11-4 run begins here! When Dai Mommy is happy, everyone is happy.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Forced to be a PNG Tuber by the Ban Algorithm: The MidnightSumo Story.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Day 9:
Shishi :(
Daiamami :)
Tamawashi :)
Ura :)
Hoshoryu :(

Looking forward to Hoshoryu / Wakamotoharu and Onosato / Takerufuji tonight!

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Day 11 Ura - Atamifuji Thought Ura would pull out some magical bullshit after surviving that first push, but sometimes you just get forklifted out of the ring.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Day 12
There's the magical Ura bullshit!
And the youth movement was put on hold for a day.
Loved Hosh tossing Takeru, even if it would have been cool to see history be made live.
Koto seems to have Onosato's number for now. 2-0 so far.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Fun basho.

Justice for Ura :mad:

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Sunglasses SHODAI is peak avatar material.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Keep that man away from Abi at all costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Meisei all day