Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Blessed basho, thread title coming true on the first night of the tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

On the upside he gets to dodge Asanoyama rampaging through Juryo and I feel like even with busted wheels he's still going to crush a lot of them pretty easily just through what remains of his raw power.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

ullerrm posted:

I have a minor soft spot lately for Sadanoumi too, who has been on a consistent streak lately after years of bouncing between upper juryo and lower maegashira.

drat you beat me to my 'no expectations' pick - his entire affect is a bored office worker who looks mildly concerned about meeting a deadline and his opponent is going to try to send an email derailing the project. Before his disease flared up I always loved watching Ishiura because it was funny seeing someone who was just bodybuilder yoked fighting against all of the people more built for functional strength and finding a way to win with speed and guile.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

I'm genuinely curious what changed - he's moving so much better, displaying strength and flexibility that simply wasn't there, and actually tried to save a disadvantaged position. Maybe he saw a sports psychiatrist or something but i'm absolutely here for it, it's been a bummer seeing his sumo just fall off a cliff over the past six months

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Fearless posted:

I think we might be seeing the early days of something special here.

He's being challenged more that he was at the start of the tournament, but the ability to deal with a stable-state situation, process, and then immediately take decisive action that generates a win is really impressive. Two days in a row he's gotten stuck in a bad spot and then outsmarted/outmuscled his opponent.

Cannot wait to see him compete against the rest of the top of Juryo, going to be some great matches.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Surprised Hokuseiho's putting on more weight, that didn't seem like a problem in any of his matches as much as gassing out after the initial clash.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Khizan posted:

One of the things about Hokuseiho is that he's never had a 'real' make-koshi. The only time he failed to get his KK was when he went kyujo on the second day of Kyushu 2021. Other than that he's never put up a score worse than 5-2/9-6 despite his sumo style being "be huge and let them get tired trying to shove you". I think he's mostly got a case of "It's not broken so I'm not fixing it" and he's not going to change things up until he starts losing and has to.

Catching up on the thread so late, but somewhat relevant: Hakuho is his coach and is notorious for being absolutely fantastic at giving advice (Kotonowaka and Ura being a couple of examples where he beat them and then gave them a tip and they started murdering people the rest of the tourney). So I have to imagine that if there was something he was supposed to be changing, he'd be changing it.

Also my fondest memory of Hakuho doing Hakuho things was smacking Shodai after lining up literally at the edge of the ring (e.g. no room to move if he was hit at the tachiai at all) which was apparently so disrespectful the Yokozuna Deliberation Council had an article written about it to censure him (https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14399422).

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Terunofuji going from Ozeki to terrible injury to returning to Ozeki was one of the most impressive things I've seen in sports.

Then he added reaching Yokozuna and being dominant there when healthy to it.

I feel genuinely bad (well, as bad as you can for someone who ends up Yokozuna) for whoever gets the rope next. They're never going to live up to the standard Terunofuji/Hakuho set, and so history will always just sorta remember them as the next guy who was good but not great.

Also agreed that this entire basho has just been really good. Cinderella stories early, getting to see some of the young talent develop (Hokuseiho in particular has been fun to see just quietly Be Big his way to victory), and seeing all the hard work the sekiwake have been putting in finally paying off has just been wonderful.

Also the matchmaking gods having mercy and letting Hiradoumi get his KK finally was nice to see, I was legit worried he was going to get snuffed because they fed him to so much high-end competition.

wodin fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 27, 2023

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Lucasar posted:

I'm a big fan of Kotonowaka and think he's got massive potential if he can get a bit sharper on offense; defensively he's already super strong. Time will tell if he is the next Kisenosato or the next Takarafuji though.

Yeah - he's got a strong stable that's training him, has consistently improved season over season, and while his record wasn't amazing this tournament, it undercommunicates just how competitive most of his matches were. I think he maybe had one or two blowouts total the entire 15 days, every loss was hardfought and there was probably a path to victory in there somewhere.

I'm the Kotonowaka fan in my group of sumo watchers (everyone else thinks he's weird because of the quadboob) and I will cheerfully talk about how good he is. But Shodai proved that defense-first sumo can absolutely succeed even in the modern era (the lovingly named Wall of Daikon), so I'm not worried about Kotonowaka.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

https://twitter.com/SarahLovesSumo/status/1668055052496547840

Is there anything Ochiai/Hakuoho can't do?

Being mildly serious though, the various offseason things that have been leaking out this tournament cycle have been fun to see (weddings, retirements, etc).

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

pseudodragon posted:

Who's the most E Honda rikishi? Takakeisho? Most of the other top guys are too focused on grappling and belt work for an SF fighter. Taka's the most likely to hundred hand slap the poo poo out of someone and if he could torpedo headbutt someone IRL, that would probably be his primary attack.

I would have said Tamawashi - sticks around forever, primarily pusher thruster but does have some belt technique (I guess Takakeisho has started using the sukuinage to keep people honest in the past few tournaments now that his knees are shredded but he literally didn't do a throw for the first three years I watched him).

They did a fantastic job making Honda's animations look way more like actual sumo though, it's genuinely impressive how they married the necessary stylization that a video game requires with actual sumo techniques.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Really puts in context how incredible Tamawashi's streak of matches is as a competitor, his durability and grit to fight through pain are absolutely unreal.

I'm sad to see Terunofuji out, and I sort of have to wonder if Tobizaru would have even considered the leg sweep if Terunofuji hadn't tried it first. There seemed to be some tactics that people didn't really use against Terunofuji even though they might have been effective and that was one of them.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

I assume he does it as a risk mitigation strategy: can't henka a standup, and by not shifting his weight forward he can't really be slapped down immediately either. That being said, I completely agree that he's going to have to learn to put up resistance against top tier folks who can destabilize him more than his body can absorb. I think we saw a preview of what he's going to do with Kotonowaka's development - showed up with a powerful big body but somewhat passive approach, and has gradually been expanding outwards. He's still defensive, but will absolutely blow people up now if he senses weakness.

I think we should probably wait for him to put up a losing record before doom and gloom, haha.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

do it on my face posted:

holy poo poo Kiho

For those curious about what prompted this post and wanting to see it in action:
https://clips.twitch.tv/RelievedIntelligentWolverineRedCoat-aLz_EPr95ih41d2_
Yes that's 401lbs (on paper) of Daiamami that he just carried out of the ring like a sack of rice

(stripped the autovideo conversion because it looks like it wasn't protected by the spoiler tags, apologies if I got anyone).

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG8irnohFEE

Gagamaru is doing a series where he visits various different stables, and got permission to release a video showing off the training regimen at Miyagino. Some fun cameos (Ishiura, former Kaisei) as well as a lot of gritty reality of the training process. The person who shared this with me described the first couple of minutes as "completely cursed knowledge' and I'm inclined to agree, but Gagamaru is very funny so it's worth it. The queueing process for getting training is also absolutely wild to me (rushing in to touch the winner after a match) but does explain something that had been a mystery to me when watching things like Sumo Prime Time. You also get to see some personal yokozuna instruction which was intense as hell.

But as far as the modernization elements go, they show off Kiho going through recovery procedures for his foot (Lisfranc injury that knocked him out of the tournament). I also know Naruto beya (former Kotooshu) is also very all-in on sports science stuff and has their wrestlers getting custom nutrition plans and such rather than just chanko and sleep.

(edit apparently my brain just completely ignored it being posted earlier, sorry)

wodin fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 26, 2023

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

After last night I hope Onojo is done for the tournament, he was badly injured in his win and had to be wheelchaired away (after the requisite stagger up onto the dohyo and literally falling off it while getting to the exit).

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Apparently they'd already removed unsupervised minors from the Jungyo tour, but the rule allowed minors whose oyakata was on the tour (as was happening in this case) because their stablemaster would be there. Guess it didn't do much good!

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Going to J6W from M9W is the egregious part, Daishoho went 3-12 at M17E and went to J7E, only one rank lower than Hakuoho's new spot despite being 8 ranks lower to start and only winning 3.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

There are a lot of charismatic/funny ones, we simply don't really get much visibility into it because they're following the rules. If you see some of the recordings from the Jungyo and secondary interactions there it's pretty clear there's a fairly diverse crowd. Seeing Hoshoryu grinning ear to ear and cracking jokes with Wakamotoharu is weird as hell.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

A little tbh

Still, he has a warrior-like aspect. Some of them look like benevolent dads who've let themselves go a bit.

Sadanoumi is so perfect for this - he just looks like they scooped him up and told him he was gonna have to fight this week. It's such a funny perspective trick since then you see any of them next to normal humans (there's a twitter account called SarahLovesSumo who gets selfies with the rikishi a lot) and you're like Oh Right.

Brut posted:

Gonna be an 11-4 yusho kinda basho won't it

Takakeisho clean sweep for the rope I believe (mostly because poor Kotonowaka got into his own head and stopped overpowering his opponents)

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Taffy Torpedo posted:

There's no way Takakeisho is getting Yokozuna even with a yusho at 12-3 right?

If he actually pulled off any yusho they'd be setting new historical precedent to deny him the rope. I don't think we have to worry about it though, there's no way his current form is clearing all 3 of the ozeki without a loss

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

It's wild to me that there were such detailed accusations against Oshouma and nothing seems to have come out of it. Definitely soured me on Naruto beya though, they were one of the ones I cheered for because they were supposedly using modern methods and sports science as part of their approach.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Now and always SHODAI, AGENT OF CHAOS

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

These dudes have incredible pain tolerance so the fact he wasn't even able to put weight on it, let alone get on the dohyo, is really bad. Hope he can heal up and come back strong, he's younger than he looks.

Also Terunofuji having to work that hard against Ryuden is really rough, he's getting it done but you can't depend on grip strength testing someone's wrist till they make a stupid move to end it

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Nativity In Black posted:

Why hasn't everyone been doing this to Onosato?

In all seriousness, Kotonowaka basically gave Onosato the Onosato treatment. Kotonowaka really does look looser to take this one. Just hope he doesn't choke it away.

Being able to absorb his charge physically is pretty rare. Onosato absolutely blew up Takarafuji who uses the same general defensive sumo approach (stop/absorb the charge, counterattack) because he was just so much stronger and more explosive. https://twitter.com/HelenePastore/status/1748290685252346212 As the English commentators noted last night, Onosato's technique was also a little all over the place thanks to some sneaky work by Kotonowaka - he deflected the initial charge from center of mass and got inside such that Onosato couldn't reposition his hands to push.

I do actually worry that seeing so much success with purely defensive sumo the last two days will cause Kotonowaka to repeat what happened last basho - he got too passive near the end as he went up against tougher opposition and allowed them to fully set the pace, which opens him up to getting outskilled.

As far as scheduling goes, they also look at relative strength of performance in addition to record, which is why you see Oho getting tough matches despite a 6-4 record since he's looked stellar this tournament and all his losses have been close.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

We made friends with an izakawa owner, when she heard we were sumo friends she kinda flexed her seats on us - what a view
https://imgur.com/gallery/lr1rlaV

holy poo poo that's awesome.

Came to post about Kotonowaka's incredible finish to the Tobizaru bout, he could have gotten flustered and instead he did THAT

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Thauros posted:

idk how much of this is just fan speculation but peolpe on twitter were saying he may put off the name change until winnng his first yusho

He talked about it in an interview before the tournament, though not specifically the "win a yusho" condition, just that he might do some tournaments as Kotonowaka before switching.

Medenmath posted:

Very happy for Quadzeki Kotonowaka

One of my friends calls him "boob thorax" and I can't unsee it.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Hirayuki posted:

eta: And you can turn off the chat.

I would say one thing that's super valuable about Midnight is that they post the names and summaries of each wrestler in the lower brackets. It's only 1-2 sentences for each but it's still really nice of them to put together a fact sheet for random Sandanme #1234. It'll be a pity when it finally gets DMCA'd, since Midnight has legit put a lot of work into making the sport approachable.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Paying2Lurk posted:

Yeah, when I say the chat there can get annoying it's far from the usual Twitch chat dumb stuff. Just people getting a little too weird / precious about some of the rikishi and stuff like that. Overall it's very good and dumb Twitch antics get shut down quickly.

Yeah the only thing that makes me really wince is the Chiyomaru copypasta. Poor dude.

Last night was interesting, felt like a lot of the pusher-thrusters were slower off the jump than they usually are at the start of a tournament.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Kerrzhe posted:

why'd you have to jinx it lmao

got taken down again like 10 minutes ago :negative:

oh god I'm sorry I figured they were well past that since it'd been around forever and Abema doesn't seem to give a poo poo

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Fearless posted:

Midorifuji is very much like Tobizaru in that both absolutely are a legit threat to anyone else on the dohyo regardless of rank, but as yet they lack the consistency to truly back it up. Takerufuji is continuing to impress and the way he ran over Abi last night was just downright impressive.

The explosion immediately to get inside was genuinely a shock, I knew he was fast but I didn't realize he was That Fast.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

StupidSexyMothman posted:

day 13: hoshoryu straight up tanked that charge from Gonoyama, good lord

it sounded like a loving gunshot, loudest noise I've heard from sumo in ages

It's wild how even just a few years of following the sport has had a huge amount of rotation, makes me appreciate Tamawashi more every tournament.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1771478977892233408?t=xgGL8DPJI3i-NzIXgF7J3w&s=19

That does not look like he's going to be able to compete tomorrow short of a miracle, what a freak twist of fate.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

https://twitter.com/OneLoveLulit/status/1772582777344430511?t=NdBy7N_Wub5uynJy9VgyRg&s=19

Important SHODAI update: he looks hilarious in sunglasses

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

As a spectator, I'm a bit sad that it cheats us out of prime Hakuoho vs. Terunofuji/Takerufuji/Atamifuji. Those were going to be some awesome matches and now we'll never get to see them because they'll be stablemates.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Communist Thoughts posted:

I was thinking that but then realised miyagino basically has no makuuchi guys anymore anyway

I mean I think both Hakuoho (formerly Ochiai) and Tenshoho (formerly Mukainakano) will be up in makuuchi within a year. Tenshoho had a 3-5 this time at Makushita 1 so he's not gonna be Juryo next tournament but half of that was running into people on the main character progression arc (most notably Onokatsu)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

pseudodragon posted:

The Shodai match seems to be Hak being worried because no one (including Shodai) has any idea what Shodai will do and just seeing what happens until he realizes has nothing to worry about.

Shodai had also been incredibly passive the entire tournament, to the point where commentators were calling out that he wasn't doing sumo appropriate for his rank. A lot of people thought Hakuho's gambit was a way of reminding him that without both people striving to win sumo sorta turns weird. In retrospect that tournament was the start of Shodai's decline, but at the time it was mostly just confusing and unusual.