Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Thanks to the internal SA ads I watched a bit of the March basho and most of the May one. Special thanks to MidnightSumo on Twitch for making it very easy to watch. To be honest I expected to bounce off sumo, as I'm not a big sports guy and I thought it might be too weird or whatever, but I was wrong and it's really fun to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I'm not sure I understand how this works, but I may as well participate. Choosing rikishi based on the tried and true method of kind of randomly picking names I recognize the most!

(edited to remove Kirishima)

Y/O:
Terunofuji

S/K:
Abi
Wakamotoharu
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Midorifuji
Asanoyama
Ura

M6-10:
Oho
Hokutofuji
Kinbozan

M11+:
Hakuoho
Endo
Aoiyama

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 9, 2023

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Midorifuji vs Kirishima was a heck of a bout

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Sumo! :toot:

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Kirishima
Hoshoryu

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Kotonowaka
Nishikigi

M1-5:
Meisei
Abi
Ura

M6-10:
Midorifuji
Kinbozan
Endo

M11+:
Nishikifuji
Chiyoshoma
Daishoho

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Final day stuff, so using spoiler tags just in case: I'm looking forward to all three ozeki being out of kadoban for November. Very impressed by Hoshoryu fighting back to KK after a weak start.

Also, lame final bout notwithstanding, I'll have to be rooting for Takakeisho in November.

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 25, 2023

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Dimebags Brain posted:

Takakeisho won before the match even started. He completely psyched Atamafuji out and deserved that win just on the mental game alone.

(Final bout spoilers)
I was impressed by what he was able to do with the positioning of his fist to confuse Atamifuji and throw off his timing for the tachi-ai (or at least, that's what it looked like he was doing to me).

Marching Powder posted:

i hate spoiler tags but i'm just going to say that the guy who won the cup could beat any rikishi when he's on and not carrying debilitating injuries. i am a big fan of his and i will be rooting for him come november.

:yeah:

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I'm late but I just wanted to say thanks for running the fantasy league, Kenning!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Brut posted:

Not quite what we're used to seeing in Ozumo, but still pretty fun!

There's archives of livestreams from 2018, 2019 and this year here:

https://www.youtube.com/@sumo5931/streams

This rules, thanks for the links!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Thanks for running the fantasy league Kenning!

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Kirishima
Terunofuji Hoshoryu

S/K:
Hokutofuji
Wakamotoharu
Abi

M1-5:
Midorifuji
Ura
Meisei

M6-10:
Endo
Atamifuji
Kotoeko

M11+:
Nishikifuji
Oho
Tamawashi

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 11, 2023

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

ullerrm posted:

Hokuseiho vs Midorifuji: Well, that's a first for me in 2-3 years of watching sumo. Water break called at the 4 minute mark.

Yeah this was super cool to me. Maybe it's silly to be excited by what is essentially nothing happening at all, but I enjoyed getting to see it. Midorifuji almost pulled off a win too. I'm impressed by how much a smaller rikishi can get done against a larger opponent.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Thanks for running the fantasy league Kenning & Banana Canada. :)

I feel bad for Takakeisho but that's how it goes. Looks like there's another yoko run to be excited for come January though.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Thanks Kenning!

I will continue with my strategy of picking guys I like, rather than guys I necessarily think will win, and then filling out my choices basically at random from the names I most recognize. It hasn't served me well so far but I don't care. :colbert:

Y/O:
Kirishima
Takakeisho
Hoshoryu

S/K:
Ura
Kotonowaka
Takayasu

M1-5:
Midorifuji
Hokutofuji
Tobizaru

M6-10:
Ichiyamamoto
Asanoyama
Meisei

M11+:
Aoiyama
Oho
Endo

Juryo:
Shishi
Daiamami
Roga

Big men pushing each other :rock:

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Oh no :(

I think Aoiyama is on my team, no autotrade for me either please. Sticking with your guys is more important than winning.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I feel terrible for Hokutofuji. Grand Sumo doesn't exactly handle injury well, but at least they didn't make him climb back up onto the dohyo.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Are there no other roles someone like that could take on? I kind of assumed the yobidashi are like that, intense sumo fans but who didn't have the right build or athletic ability. Maybe he could have been one of the special hairdressers. But I guess those roles are also very limited in availability, and I suppose by connections/family/whatever.

Anyway,

I'm still very new to sumo, but I have come to understand that only Shodai could get a kinboshi in the same basho he got an MK and a loss to someone with a 1-10 record or whatever it was at the time.

Looking forward to the final couple days, should be an interesting competition between the three guys at 11 wins. I feel bad for wanting Teru to miss out on the yusho, but I feel like him winning is the least interesting outcome, compared to getting a new ozeki or yokozuna.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Paying2Lurk posted:

I think if you were known as the absolute worst at something, you might want to move on to something else after 6 years. Plus I don't think sticking around in that environment would be very fun either, even if people were nice about it.

Well I more meant "why wouldn't he pursue some other role way earlier" rather than transitioning to a new role after six years of failure. :v:

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I'm watching juryo right now and oh man it's all good and I can't wait for the grand finale :f5:

It sucks so many people have gotten hurt for this basho, but I have to agree that there's been a lot of great matches.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

URA!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
This has been a great couple final matches

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Yokozuna sumo is winning sumo. But at least Koto gets a consolation prize of ozeki promotion, presumably.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Very happy for Quadzeki Kotonowaka

Is it March yet? :f5:

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Takakeisho
Kirishima

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Abi
Nishikigi

M1-5:
Midorifuji
Tobizaru
Atamifuji

M6-10:
Hokutofuji
Takayasu
Shodai

M11+:
Ichiyamamoto
Nishikifuji
Roga

Juryo:
Hakuoho
Shishi
Aoiyama

Thanks for running the fantasy basho again Kenning.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I hope the Twitch channels can get things sorted out. :( Midnight is my favorite, and he puts a lot of work into making the sport accessible to people who aren't yet familiar with it.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
__________110 years!__________

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Takerufuji's story is one for the ages.

Also that last bout was basically Kirishima saying "I may have had a lousy basho, but I've still got it."