Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Kenning posted:

Note that the only Y/O candidate right now is Takakeisho, since Teru is kyujo. My spreadsheet can't accommodate consolidating rank sets, and also making substantial rules modifications to deal with extenuating circumstances is incredibly un-sumo-like. As a result, basically everyone will get Takakeisho. This just makes the S/K pick even more important!

i was thinking, why not do two rank agnostic san'yaku picks, but that's an excellent point spreadsheet issues aside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i hope i don't end up like mitakeumi. i was consistent in the lower san'yaku and now that i've finally been promoted my fear is the usual tricks that allowed me to get here have left me. not too optimistic this basho but i must try to defend the honor of the rank with my usual brand of fantasy sumo i suppose.

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:

Wakatakakage
Hoshoryu
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Abi
Tamawashi
Tobizaru

M6-10:
Ura
Takanosho
Hiradoumi

M11+:
Kagayaki
Ichiyamamoto
Miroryu

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

truly we live in the correct era for sumo

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

this is a huge if ofc but if takakeisho ran the table from this point out and they decided to promote him, would there be a precedent for there being two yokuzuna but no regular ozeki? i know due to ancient banzuke regulations both yokozuna would be listed as yokozuna-ozeki.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

first hair pull i went "dq that guy" rather than being sorry for the guy who did it as i didn't feel it was intentional or affected the match

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

this is all very subjective obv but if takekeisho obtained the same exact results due to a depleted uppe card but was still an ultra one dimensional guy who you just had to outlast the initial onslaught from before he tired i wouldn't feel he quite deserved it. he seems far more "complete" now tho

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

to be fair a lot of this isn't directly the old sumo guys' obstinancy but just the poo poo that comes with intl broadcast rights for so many things . like i've heard it claimed that the company that keeps striking down the english stream that kinta uses is a british company that has the rights to a feed for that particular market which no other english speaker has access to.

they seem happy to leave kinta alone at least

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

gently caress

i preferred kinta's coverage and i imagine this will be the impetus for him to retire for real this time

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/InsideSportJP/status/1624516435035963392?s=20

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

with these dudes having had time to heal up but still training it would be really interesting to see what would happen if you threw hakuho, kakuryu, goeido and kisenosato into the next basho

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

it's kinda crazy how sumo is the one sport where you can have a retired from active competition athlete now working as head coach who could still kick the rear end of any his professional athletes at that sport

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/InsideSportJP/status/1634012187923734528?s=20

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

guess i need to get my picks in. another basho where i don't have a great feel going in:

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Wakatakakage
Wakamotoharu
Kiribayama

M1-5:
Abi
Tamawashi
Onosho

M6-10:
Takayasu
Ura
Hokotofuji

M11+:
Hokuseiho
Kinbozan
Daishoho

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFE_2i22tyY

kinta's on youtube again. archive is wiped but i was automatically subscribed so i guess it's the same channel?

natto's new channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMvRanPcd1Y

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

ok i'm used to a slow start from him but his form looks way off. kenning, i'd like to trade Wakatakakage for Kirabayama, Wakamotoharu or Tobizaru in order of preference. wakatakakage fans can thank me when he proceeds to rattle off a bunch of wins from this point forward

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

on the brighter side with my team glad that my second choince shin-makuuchi pick of kinbozan's ia also doing well as i missed out on hokuseiho

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Thauros posted:

ok i'm used to a slow start from him but his form looks way off. kenning, i'd like to trade Wakatakakage for Kirabayama, Wakamotoharu or Tobizaru in order of preference. wakatakakage fans can thank me when he proceeds to rattle off a bunch of wins from this point forward

well at least it looks like i did hm a favor

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

whoa i had no idea he was another hakuho guy. he obviously warranted it but how did he earn a debut at makushita 15 anyway? i know about the university sumo promotions like with kinbozan, but this presumably doesn't apply to him since he's 19 and doesn't have a school listed

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

pseudodragon posted:

For Tochi specifically, most Ozeki level guys retire before they drop too far. If anything, there's pressure the other way to save dignity and not disappear into the masses. Of course most of those guys have/can get a kabu for retirement so they have something to fall back on, but everyone else probably has to hang on because what else are they going to do?

Looking at all the past Ozeki, it looks like there's 2 retirement points for non-injury. Either right after losing Ozeki like Goeido or they'll do one tourney at Juryo to see if they can bounce back and if both that's it. Went back to look at Ozeki going back to the start of the 6 basho era and unless I missed someone, I can't see anyone that ended their career with more than 1 Juryo basho.

this is a little different obv but terunofuji tried gutting it out in juryo for two tournaments before he took four basho off and obv mounted a sucessful comeback

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/TheSumoSoul/status/1639445528521117698?s=20

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

so who the hell gets demoted if mitoryu gets a kachikoshi? usually this isn't an issue but there's going to be two guys with 11+ wins from j1e-j3 and only azumaryu looks like a safe bet to go down

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Ham Equity posted:

Is being in Juryo at nineteen years old and in your second tournament pretty rare?

certainly in the second tournament is incredibly rare and normally impossible. he started his career at makushita 15 thanks to winning amateur sumo tournaments. i asked for more info as i was only familiar with that usually at sandame from university sumo and this is the blog post i was linked to.

https://www.fantasybasho.com/post/on-makushita-tsukedashi

quote:

Yet in the future, it is entirely possible January 2023 will not be best remembered for Takakeisho making a Yokozuna run. It could be remembered as the debut of Ochiai. For the unfamiliar, Ochiai is a 19 year old former high school Yokozuna. His final year in high school, he finished in the top 8 of the All Japan Amateur Sumo Championships. That would have made him eligible to start in the Sandanme division had he joined professional sumo after school. Instead, he spent a year working in his father’s firm and competing in corporate sumo. After winning the Corporate Yokozuna title, he joined Miyagino stable for January as a Makushita Tsukedashi.

13 different Universities have produced Makushita Tsukedashi. By far the most successful has been Nihon University. 37 Makushita Tsukedashi are former Nihon University students, including Wajima and Kotomitsuki. The group of Makushita Tsukedashi wrestlers tend to have some similar characteristics. They enter sumo slightly older, with a good sense of what they are doing, and a wealth of competitive experience.

Yet Ochiai doesn’t totally fit this bill, because he did not attend University. That isn’t completely unprecedented, but it is quite rare. 14 wrestlers started in Makushita without first attending University. Largely, this group has not been as impressive as their peers who competed in University sumo. They also have been getting increasingly rare over the last few decades. The last one was Ichinojo, who joined pro sumo in 2013. Before that, no one had done it since Tochitaiki in 1995. Ichinojo is by far the best parallel to Ochiai. Like Ochiai, he was a high school standout who decided to delay his professional career by a year to garner more amateur accolades. He also dominated his first professional basho.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Apraxin posted:

https://twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/1640879188449320960
Juryo promotions for May: Fujiseiun, Chiyosakae (returning), and Tokihayate

Kawazoe (4-3 at Ms3) and Shiden (6-1 at Ms6) remain eternally on the cusp, Shimanoumi and Tsushimanada get an unlikely reprieve. (tbh, it's a bit galling to see Shiden getting screwed again while the sumo gods grant Shimanoumi yet another soft demotion, but watcha gonna do).

isn't it generally required to go 7-0 to get promoted from under ms5? frustrating since at ms5e he's as close as posisible to that zone without being in it but i'm not surprised

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

and thanks for running the basho as always and i'll gratefully accept half a giant macaron and a large fish

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Nativity In Black posted:

Oh no, I was hoping to do just this in September. Hopefully it's sorted by then?

it doesn't sound like they're banned from selling *any* tickets at least, just the "food/souvenir" set combo. still really sucks for some kinda jackal and anyone else hosed over because two people had to be idiots. i plan on going to japan either in august or november and i don't expect i'll be able to see sumo but i still hope to use them for pro wrestling tickets as i did in 2019.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i'm in favor of a basho thread. i seldom watch live but it feels awkward to even discuss after i watch a digest in the morning (us time) as people watch on different times and the convention is usually to keep everything in spoilers.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Lid posted:

This the first time Wakamotoharu had been above Wakatakakage?

in sekitori yes. wakamotoharu is only a year older but debuted considerably earlier as a teenager in january 2012. wakatakakage went to college and did well enough to debute at sandame 100 in march 2017.

last time the elder brother was ranked higher was 2018's new year basho. wakamotoharu went 3-4 from makushita 6 while his little bro had a zensho yusho from ms17.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://sumodb.sumogames.de/Default.aspx

they haven't updated for the upcoming basho yet but they will soon and that's the best place to find guys' career history and current trajectory

my cat is norris posted:

edit: also, people are saying that teronofuji will be participating in may. that's exciting! when does the yokozuna usually participate? i assume it'll be very late in the day/night.

yes if he participates he will be in the last match every night as the sole yokozuna

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

wonder what his plans are if he went to the trouble of getting citizenship but doesn't want to stay in sumo

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho

S/K:
Kiribayama
Hoshoryu
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Abi
Ura
Nishikifuji

M6-10:
Tamawashi
Onosho
Takanosho

M11+:
Asanoyama
Hokuseiho
Ichiyamamoto

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

gently caress, after using an alternate channel last basho kintamayama's off of youtube and just on the chud site now. i can't find any trace of either his old or new channel

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Robviously posted:

:siren:May Goonzeki Hanazumo:siren:

Draft is done and a seemingly good start to the basho so far. We have thirty two entrants for our exhibition:

Thauros

Y/O Terunofuji
S/K Hoshoryu
M1-5 Takayasu
M6-10 Hokutofuji
M11+ Asanoyama

how did i end up with takayasu when he was not one of my picks? or hoktofuji for that matter tho i'll take him i like him

Thauros posted:

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho

S/K:
Kiribayama
Hoshoryu
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Abi
Ura
Nishikifuji

M6-10:
Tamawashi
Onosho
Takanosho

M11+:
Asanoyama
Hokuseiho
Ichiyamamoto

regardless I'll trade takayasu and keep my original order of preference?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Robviously posted:

Your stable should be

Terunofuji
Hoshoryu
Abi
Onosho
Asanoyama

My sincerest apologies for that. Gonna double check the spreadsheet and update for any accidental data entry issues.

no prob, lot of volunteer work and you've never done this before, it's appreciated as it adds a little fun to the basho. i do think takayasu could be a good value pick in low maegashira next basho

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

speaking of salt rituals, i was wondering how terutsuyoshi was doing and sadly the answer is 0-2 at makushita 5. dude's only had one kachikoshi since july 2021, gently caress

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Shiroc posted:

They're gotta have Asanoyama facing higher ranked guys pretty fast, right? He's not ranked low because of injury recovery or anything so it seems unfair to everyone else to give him a normal set of opponents.

lucky

he got borderline hosed out of a promotion last basho tho otoh and to me its' also unfair to give him a harder road back to the top than a regular rikishi at m14 would face. there's no perfectly equitable way of handling it but the good thing is that a really strong performance from him should see him back in the joi in july and avoid either situation.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

tochinoshin was one of my faves but sadly the most indelible memory for me was him getting hosed over by the shinpan in a monoii as i was watching at a gate at frankfurt airport

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

bessantj posted:

Yes all eyes on Juryo tomorrow. Gonoyama is currently 9-1 at J1 (His highest ever ranking) fights thread interest Ochiai 10-0 at J8 (his highest ever ranking). It seems very possible that the two of them will go into Makuuchi next basho. With a KK already I can't see how Gonoyama doesn't get promoted.

what sort of record does ochiai need to have a decent shot of promotion? obv a lot will be determined on the amount of demotable people depending on how kagayaki, mitoryu, and ichiyamamoto perform the rest of the way

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Lucasar posted:

Kintamayama currently lurks about as "Mord Dresner" on youtube as well if your time is more limited.

thank you i've been using rumble and i'd rather not if i can help it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Ura got loving robbed. I declare Kanly against kotonowaka.

torinaoshi would've been fair but just to reverse it is bullshit