Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is it good luck to post about hoping Takayasu does well, or bad luck to post about hoping Takayasu does well? Because this post is either about hoping Takayasu does well or not about hoping Takayasu does well at all, depending on how that falls out…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hirayuki posted:

It's easy remembering what Hidenoumi looks like, if you remember him as the rikishi who so generously turned down all of the good-looks genes so his younger brother Tobizaru could inherit them all.

It's easy remembering what Hidenoumi looks like because you just think back to the time you thought to yourself "who let Dan Aykroyd onto the dohyo??"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Takayasu ’s mythical ozeki run ends before it ever started

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Growing up in a Polish household, I’m always surprised when I see cupping that doesn’t involve fire.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

gently caress off      Chiyoshoma you big turd

Takakeisho really can't afford to lose any more blood so I'm glad this one went quickly lol

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 16, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Beeswax posted:

I disagree!

Sir you have besmirched the honour of Takarafuji and I challenge you to a duel. Handfuls of salt at twenty paces.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Day 10:

OK Takarafuji, when you get henka'd twice, that's kind of on you lol

Lid posted:

lol if you get mad over a henka

Correction: I get mad over a Chiyoshoma henka :eng101:

Who here isn't allowed one irrational dislike, I ask you :colbert:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Luck on my side I’ll get tickets to the May basho so I want to go have a beer with Hiro :thumbsup:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does Takayasu have a kabu? I’m just wondering out loud what he does as he gets older and progressively more broken.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can’t really get a read on how/if JSA wants to approach marking themselves to foreign audiences. Their partnership with the NHK is a given and it looks like NHK is the one issuing strikes which I guess makes sense because the NHK has no vested interest in a market they don’t sell to. Crappy highlights show aside, I suppose.

I don’t think the JSA can do much about NHK’s position so I can’t decipher whether the JSA is just stuck with the broadcast partners they have or whether they actually want to start changing things up and making it more available outside Japan. Based on the evidence to date (mainly inaction, to be fair), they don’t really seem to be actively pursuing any foreign broadcast partners, only domestic (NHK, Abema); Whether that’s because of existing obligations (contractually can’t solicit foreign broadcast) or they’re just not interested is something I can’t put my finger on. Could also be that there isn’t the logistics to provide footage to foreign carriers — I presume all the cameras and equipment for broadcast are NHK owned, and as previously stated, NHK don’t really have anything to gain from being obligated to provide their footage, short of $$$ which may not be there for a sport that is probably not popular enough abroad. In my mind I’m sure if someone threw $$$ at the JSA and NHK they’d reconsider, but whoever that is would probably not recoup their costs in viewer revenue.

The fact they instituted Sumo Prime Time gives me some hope that they’re seeing foreign interest but whether that means foreign distribution is actually on their road map.. who knows.

I would pay real dollars to just legally get NHK broadcasts of the salaried ranks, if that were possible. I don’t WANT to jump through hoops to watch it.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jan 25, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Helianthus Annuus posted:

what's wrong with the highlights, other than being withheld for 24hr so you have to watch it on live TV?

if i could just watch last night's matches whenever i want, i would be happy with that.

I say crappy only compared to the YouTube options but I agree it was a little unfair. I got my start in Sumo by watching the highlights and if I didn't know other options existed I would probably think it was just fine.

My shortlist of peeves with the highlights show in a vacuum is that it's not on demand, and it's delayed.

In the context of the other options available on youtube are that I just prefer not hearing/understanding the commentary of the NHK raw broadcast (the english commentary on highlights just doesn't do it for me), but I'm like that about most sports -- I'd rather hear no commentary and just be left to my own devices to think about what I'm seeing, and the fact that it's in Japanese helps. I'll understand bits and pieces of it in my (very) broken pre-elementary Japanese comprehension, but for the most part I can tune it out.

The amount of work that Natto does to collect/present stats and information I think makes it impossible to argue in good faith that it's not a technically better product for a Sumo fan than what NHK will give you, so at this point I just compare every official or non-official offering to that.

If the NHK packaged up Grand Sumo Highlights and ran it on YouTube immediately after the tournament day concluded I think that I'd be mostly placated. I'm just set up for needing to be in front of my TV at a certain time to catch the highlights show. It's been a while since I watched it though, so I don't remember if they actually only play it at certain times, if it is on-demand-but-delayed, or always has been that way.

This is one of those things where I naively say something like "well if I ran NHK I would just pluck Natto and slap him a salary to do the international broadcast" like I'm undisputed king of Japanese media or something.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jan 27, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yep I stand corrected. Then maybe it was just the fact that it was delayed that got me to move. Honestly it’s been so long since I used the highlights that I barely remember the experience so take whatI say with a grain of salt.

E: Oh ok yeah, no I’m remembering the problem now. When I was still waiting on NHK I was on my AppleTV and there was an NHK World app, but I think it was difficult to navigate and hard to find the on-demand stuff. Now that I’m on a Chromecast I don’t even have an NHK app I can load from their app store, and I’m not terribly interested in watching on my Mac or iPad so that’s another strike. But that’s against NHK in general, not the highlight specifically.

So I guess my complaint then comes down to accessibility. Anyway, I’ve talked it to death. Preference is strongly to watch one of the alternatives on YouTube since that’s easy, or at least some way that involves me flopping down on the couch to watch fat men wrestle on a big screen :)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 27, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Natto has a discord of some sort. Agree that he’ll probably keep popping up accounts after getting banned, but if he ever flees YouTube I suppose that’s where you can find out where he’s posting on a daily basis.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I remember the Sumo museum at Kokugikan was neat, but really small and.. well, I’m not sure what I expected, but I was underwhelmed in a “oh, that’s it?” kind of way.

Not to say it was bad or uninteresting, just go in with expectations of a small area with some cool Sumo artifacts and you’ll be fine.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The whole kokugikan area is pretty neat. The little indoor plaza next to ryogoku station was pretty awesome — a mock dohyo and a bunch of restaurants clustered around it, if I remember it right.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You'll have an amazing time. If you're used to the highlights or summarized footage on youtube just remind yourself that there's a lot of ceremonial stuff that happens between each bout. Kind of like football in that respect. Thirty seconds of action followed by a few minutes of ~~stuff~~.

You get to leave and re-enter once, so depending on how into it you are, it might be fun to go watch the super junior ranks for a while early in the day, then gtfo and explore the area, grab a bite, then re-enter maybe before Juryo starts. It really depends on whether you're following anyone in the lower ranks. Or stay for the whole day. It's long, but if you don't get bored then you'd definitely get your money's worth.

Go explore the kokugikan too. The stalls all kind of blend together but there's some fun merch to pick up, and I remember the snacks being good too. I mean, I had no real basis of comparison to anything else, but they seemed fine. I had some ice cream and almost got on camera but alas.

I imagine the last days are hardest to get tickets for just because there are yusho implications. Personally I'm going to try to get the first few days in May (well, I'll see if I can snag a late day too) so I can try to avoid any injury kyujo.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Welp, never say the bear isn’t up for some hard work…

https://twitter.com/nishonosekibeya/status/1627946729919356928

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'd also pick one-year-and-change removed Hakuho over most top tier rikishi. You just know that guy still goes all out.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ilmucche posted:

Motivated Shodai

I call him Modai

A nice change from Slowdai

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

But did you know:

Shodai in English means Shodai

Lucasar posted:

Shodai stay or Shodai go now?

Yes

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Preordered some fun. Hope they come through but I gather they have blocks allocated or something so not terribly worried.

:getin:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 16, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Day 6: this is a strange basho. Takayasu Yusho?

I want to believe but I’ve been hurt so many times…

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Takarafuji .. what ya doin’ man? I know he won today but he just looks so incredibly soft-touch. The tachiai felt like he just stood up and strolled towards Bushozan. The slapping fight felt so half-hearted. I know he’s on the verge of makekoshi but he just feels so incredibly sad-sack right now, like he’s just showing up to a job he hates day in and day out.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

anakha posted:

Yeah, Takarafuji hasn't looked right for half a year now. That lower body's probably giving out already.

Brut posted:

Eh he's the 4th oldest guy in the top division right now, injures start stacking up and having to practice with Terunofuji, Midorifuji and Nishikifuji is probably doing more harm than good at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if he retires this year or maybe next.

Yeah I think this is kind of what I’m building to — just retire already my man, you’re causing me deep immense sadness; And as with all things sports, it’s my feelings that should direct an individual’s actions :colbert:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

:lol: “get the gently caress outta here”

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What a fun end to the basho! That was a good two weeks for sure.

I'll be at two tournament days in May so I'll try to post any cool pics I snap. Kokugikan chair seating definitely isn't as intimate as Osaka so won't be as up close and personal as Ham's :monocle:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was half expecting them to call a torinaoshi despite there being a footprint on Daieisho’s hand :lol:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Woof -- not quite as optimistic that I'm going to be there for day one of May basho now :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have two days “preordered” so best case scenario I still get day 1 just in a different seat. Worst case I don’t get day one but still have a backup. I’ll make it out of this ok. The only reason I got the set seat was because I wanted to live a little bit I’m ok without food or gift bag. I’d actually feel sorry for someone who just had one day booked and doesn’t have a fallback in case tix are unavailable :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My honest two cents is that I don’t think splitting sumo into GDT and N/V would be worth the effort for the amount of posts (though we are growing) that they generate. My prediction is that you’d have five or six joke (ok well not joke but.. you know) SHODAI!! posts and then probably an equal number of SHODAI!! posts in the N/V. I think GDTs align themselves more to sports where you want to TV-IV them live and not after the fact, the way most of us consume Sumo.

I’m sympathetic to the problem but bifurcating the posts on an a thread that gets a page or so worth of content after a day is probably not worth the effort IMO.

In other news, I got both tickets! Going to be at the Kokugikan on day 1 and day 4! I got bumped from front row seats to second row (Arena A) for day one which is a bit of a bummer but what can ‘ya do. Stupid gaijin antics gonna cost us all. Still in “Arena S” front row for day 4 so Big Bear better bring his A game S game where I can view his glory unobstructed.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh man, if he's kyujo I won't get to see him in person :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I actively disliked Ichinojo since basically day one, but in a kind of “guy you love to hate” way. I don’t enjoy seeing him retire due to injury. I was hoping to he’d hang around to boo for a long time :\

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Who’s ready for Sumo?? I’m ready for Sumo :supaburn:

Mode 7 posted:

That's true, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him kyujo before the end of the basho.

You know who’s going to be kyujo? This dude. Seems to be stuck in the station :negative:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So I snuck into the lower seats during baby sumo and imma be honest, I think I prefer the view from the S-tier arena seats to the floor seats.

If I wanted to stretch my legs I think I’d opt for the box seats near the back, at least, so you’re a little above the action.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Apraxin posted:

oh goddamnit
https://twitter.com/nhk_news/status/1657585787268136961
takayasu pulled something in his right thigh during warm-up, will sit out at least today, return date uncertain

Lol come the gently caress on

My “buy day one tickets so you can be sure to see Takayasu” plan only had one weak spot and he somehow managed to exploit it.

I’ll also be here day four so I hope he’s better by then :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m going to have to watch the highlights because from the stands that looked as if it was the least amount of work Keisho would ever have to do to get a win.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I got to meet Kaisei at the SuMall booth just a few minutes ago but was too tourist-self-conscious to ask for a selfie. Super nice guy, but I’m imagining no one manning a booth is going to be a dick, so.. :haw:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Disappointed that the last time I’ll likely get to see Tochinoshin in person will be a loss. Both days I’ve been here, no less :/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I might be biased because I was there but that was an AMAZING day of Sumo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

some kinda jackal posted:

Disappointed that the last time I’ll likely get to see Tochinoshin in person will be a loss. Both days I’ve been here, no less :/

Yikes nailed it :/