Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

The previous iteration of this thread has gotten me to start following sumo. I'm keen to see what the January basho brings us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Bentai posted:

If you want, NattoSumo on Youtube uploads recap videos every day with most of the pre-match ceremonies cut out, so you can get through a whole day of top rank in about a half hour or less.

Thank you for this. I was able to watch most of the first day off and on, and the upper ranked stuff was starting as my shift was winding down but last night I was dead to the earth for the last three hours or so of the tournament.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Day 3: Look at Abi go!

E: And Hoshoryu too!

Also,

SHODAI

Fearless fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 10, 2023

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Day 4: Looks like Toshinoshin got hurt in his match with Kotoshoho. Collarbone or a dislocated shoulder possibly... he was in obvious pain and cradling his arm on the way out. And holy poo poo, that Wakamotoharu/Meisei trip nearly annihilated an entire row. I wouldn't be shocked if Meisei had a concussion from that impact, he was dumped clear off the dohyo.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 11, 2023

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Day 4:
. Does having a tall heavy dude lean on you really tire you out that much?

Yeah it can, but not nearly so much as trying to make him move the way you want for a couple of minutes straight. That some of these men carry the sheer mass that they do and retain so much stamina and agility is shocking to me.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Day 5: Tobizaru's henka on Mitakeumi happened at light speed. Shodai looks like he needs a hug and a counsellor.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 12, 2023

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Kenning posted:

Alright, we're all caught up.

Day 7: gently caress the haters, Takakeisho is an excellent ozeki. That motherfucker fights like hell.

:haibrow: I think he has really risen to the challenge; the YDC painted a target on his back and his competitors have been going at him hard and he's risen to the challenge.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Day 13: TAKAKEISHO CARES NOT WHENCE THE BLOOD FLOWS

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Kenning posted:

I think Takakeisho should get the rope.

I agree. He demonstrated remarkable depth in this basho. I don't think the YDC is necessarily convinced and will probably insist on another strong performance in March, though.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

whats for dinner posted:

You have perfectly summarised exactly how I feel about it. If he's even got an old coach saying "he probably should have gone kyujo he's just too tough" then it sounds like something that he really should be going kyujo for March

I don't like the fact that sumo treats injury exactly like poor performance as far as demotions go. I think it sets people up to risk worsening an existing or half healed injury and shortens careers... and that can't be good for the sport.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Kenning posted:

Jesus Christ man this is loving terrible. I really hope we have viewing options for Haru.

Leo Dickinson Sumo and Midnight Sumo on Twitch were my go-tos for Hatsu. Midnight by preference for me personally, because of the lack of audio commentary (and the chat I can tune out if I don't want to read it), but the former was an option if Midnight's stream took a poo poo.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Congratulations, Kenning! The Spring is indeed a fine time to get married-- my wife and I will be celebrating our sixth anniversary in late April, so we can speak with some authority on the subject.

Anyways I have decided to hop in to fantasy sumo for this basho and here are my picks:

Y/O
Takakeisho
Terunofuji

S/K
Hoshoryu
Kiribayama
Wakatakakage

M1-5
Abi
Onosho
Shodai

M6-11
Hokutofuji
Ura
Aoiyama

M11+
Hokuseiho
Oho
Takarafuji

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

GoatSeeGuy posted:

M1-5:
SHODAI
Abi
Midorifuji

:hai:

I feel for the big galoot and I hope he gets out of his own head.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Log082 posted:

Takakeisho is now kyujo.

Not surprised; that knee is clearly giving him trouble and after losing to Mitakeiumi he clearly wasn't getting the rope. I think he made the right choice and I hope he comes back strong in May.

I'm glad he's out, because I think continuing to lose damages his record and risks further and further damage to his knee to no benefit. Now at least he can rest, heal and hopefully be back in fighting trim to start the hunt anew.

I feel bad for him though. Not many people get to come that close to yokozuna in the first place and it's got to be a hard call to make.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

This is on top of their monthly salary of about $10k. And it accumulates pretty quickly. Let's say you go 8-7 for a full year and every win has an average of five envelopes. That's $72,000 extra per year just on sponsorship envelopes.

Not a bad way to earn some extra cash.

The envelopes are only half of the payout for a win too, as I understand it there is a matching deposit into a bank account for the rikishi's eventual retirement as well.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Or they try to promote Shodai and he says no, thank you.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Day 8: Hokuseiho is terrifyingly strong and seems almost confused by it

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Day 9: Ochiai getting kachi-koshi already is nuts.

I think we might be seeing the early days of something special here.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I have been cheering for Shodai this time around, even when he has been fighting my picks in the fantasy draft and I will continue to do so.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

A backhand from one of those mitts would be like getting whalloped by an oar.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Shodai.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

bessantj posted:

What's going on here big K?

Yeah. I think my score is too high-- my spreadsheet has me at 37 points (i have not been recording fusen as .5 though so that is also too high) and not 39.5. Claiming unearned points without comment is not my team's brand of sumo.

(No criticism here at all, to be clear. Only curiosity)

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Kenning posted:

Whoops! Forgot to sort by score. Fixed it.

Checking your score, the thing you might be seeing is that you've gotten 3 bonus points from kachi-koshi (Kiribayama, Abi, and Hokuseiho), and one .5 point penalty from make-koshi (Takakeisho, which everyone will have this basho). The bonus point schedule leads to big point jumps around the end of the basho as KK and MK come in, along with special prizes and yusho etc.

Ah! I was not aware of the bonus points. Please pardon my ignorance, then and thank you for explaining this.

E: What an incredible basho. I watched January and really enjoyed it, but this time around has been a real roller coaster. Kiribayama's looking like a credible candidate for Ozeki and it looks like Makuuchi is starting to really heat up.

But most of all, Shodai.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 26, 2023

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Khizan posted:

Gonna laugh so hard when the next ozeki ends up being Shodai.

I don't think that is likely-- he's too far out. Kiribayama needs what, one more strong performance to meet the accepted standard? Two if his basho as komusubi doesn't count.

But yes, it would be rather funny to see Shodai pull off that particular coup.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Is there a limit to the number of active ozeki?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I feel for my boy Midorifuji with how his run ended but by god he put up the numbers. I’d like to see him go for more leg pulls, if he gets to sanyaku he’s going to need some equalizing technique given his stature

My stable started out strong but ended very poorly, mainly due to a poor showing by old man Tommy Mawashi and a less than stellar performance by Tobi. The loss of Tochinoshin left me without an anchor. Anyway, I’ll continue to practice my brand of sumo and babes

Midorifuji has every reason to be proud of his showing this basho, even though it may not have ended the way he hoped. I remember being very impressed every time I saw him fight (usually against the rikishi in my stable, and they usually lost) and every time he stepped onto the dohyo he gave it his all. If he starts to really develop and round out his techniques to match his energy, he'll be a real threat to anyone he faces.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

This was my first basho participating in the fantasy draft. At first, I found it detracted from some of the fun in that it felt like it was limiting who I could support. After a couple of days I decided I didn't give a poo poo and so I went back to cheering for virtually everyone (except Ryuden) and just kept an eye out for points after the fact. It was sad to see Takakeisho have to bow out to injury and his present hopes for yokozuna end with that but hopefully he can get healthy and start the run over again. My stable performed quite well in my eyes, though I feel bad for Hokutofuji falling just short of KK because I get a kick out of watching him. I also had a lot of fun cheering for Shodai even though he wasn't in my stable; I feel for the guy and frankly couldn't be upset even when he beat people who were a part of my stable. Kiribayama's electrifying yusho (Daiesho and Midorifuji should be proud of what they have accomplished too) was something special to behold and I really enjoyed seeing Juryo roiled by the passage of Ichinojo, Asanoyama and the arrival of Ochiai. The match between the latter two was superb-- as Ochiai gets more experience, he is going to be terrifying. Overall, it was a hell of a basho and I really can't wait until May. Thank you, Kenning, for your hard work in keeping up on everything and running the numbers to make this aspect of the basho possible.

I have resolved though that I will not trade someone out in the event of injury or poor performance while a basho is in progress. The idea of discarding someone when they probably need folks cheering for them most does not sit well with me and so I will not do it. I also follow hockey and support the Maple Leafs and am used to losing in new and innovative ways so this holds no terrors for me.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Thank you for running the exhibition tour, folks!

Y/O
Terunofuji
Takakeisho

S/K
Kiribayama
Hoshoryu
Daiesho

M1-5
Takayasu
Ura
Midorfuji

M6-10
Hokutofuji
Tamawashi
Onosho

M11+
Asanoyama
Hokuseiho
Chiyoshoma

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Khizan posted:

Man, M6-10 is a loving graveyard this time around.

Yeah, it's a tough row to hoe.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I will not be requesting a trade due to Takayasu's injury. I do not personally feel good about setting aside an injured rikishi for my own benefit but I also do not judge in any way those that wish to do so.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

The shipman must have attended the same officiating clinic as NHL refs.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Ura and Tobi grinning like loons at the end of their match was good for the soul

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Thauros posted:

i forget his name but taichi-ai was gushing about a "super-propsect" in makushita who lost his first match and then rattled of 5.

Onosato. He's the new recruit to Kisenosato's stable and being touted as a future rival to Ochiai/Hakuoho

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Mebbe there is a cultural difference at play here, but saying that Takakeisho did nothing to shame his rank is damning by faint praise. He's carried Sumo as the ranking active rikishi for the better part of a year as an ozeki while trying to manage the strain of his own yokozuna run and injury on top of that. It was crystal clear during this basho that he was fighting injured and the last few days it was also clear that he was persisting through a great deal of pain. Takakeisho does not get the credit he deserves for what he has done for the sport.

E: and that comparison at the end... it's like he almost gets it! Of course there is a big difference in the results between Terunofuji, who was off for nine months, and Takakeisho who's barely had time to heal between bashos. None of this is to take away from Terunofuji's skill and strength in the slightest, but the situations here are like apples to oranges and the comparison isn't fair.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 29, 2023

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

There was a musical interlude on the Midnight Sumo stream in which Kakuryu sang "My Way." He's got one hell of a set of pipes on him, that's for sure.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I too kept Takayasu regardless of the results and am very pleased with how well the rest of my stable performed (though I'd be happier losing points and Takayasu sitting the whole tournament out to get fully healed). Thank you for running this Robviously, it is clearly a huge amount of work and it is appreciated.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Would he necessarily have the funds to pay for an elder stock in the first place if he was able to just eke out the ranking requirements? Seems to me that the stocks have been getting quite expensive over recent years.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Y/O:
Kirishima
Terunofuji

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakamotoharu
Daieisho

M1-5:
Asanoyama
Tobizaru
Shodai

M6-10:
Hokuseiho
Takayasu
Hokutofuji

M11+:
Hakuoho
Tsurugisho
Gonoyama

Thank you for taking on the organization of this, and congratulations on your wedding!

Fearless fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 7, 2023

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I hope Takakeisho does take the tournament off and just heals up. I like him and hope to see him eventually get his rope, so I think a rest will do him good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

If Kirishima had to lose to someone, I am glad that it was Mitakeumi.