Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Sumo is a sport played every day of the year, except for 6 15-day periods during which the competitors are allowed to rest.

Sumotori wear a bodysuit that covers them from head to toe, except for cutouts to expose the genitals and the top of the head. Sumotori are required to trim their hair short, except for one long lock combed down and in front of the head (also known as a "devilock"). Sumo has many, very narrow weight classes, so sumotori spend much of their time dieting and cutting weight.

A match begins with two sumotori sitting among the audience, both of them kneeling on an old Japanese man with their hands touching their opponent's hair. When the referee begins the match, the sumotori break contact and crawl toward the dohyo. The winner is the first person to touch the dohyo with any part of the body other than the bottom of their foot. Rising to a standing position forfeits the match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Does anyone with more familiarity with that era of sumo have any thoughts on Akebono's style? He was huge, of course, but it seems kinda like when people say that Mike Tyson was just strong. He developed a world-class style based on his strengths!

I've read sumo grognards say that he relied too much on striking, and read other people say that he was part of a growing emphasis on a powerful tachi-ai, but I have no idea really.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Thanks! It's really impressive the way he seems to lean all his weight on Takanohana without allowing him to just sidestep and e.g. hikiotoshi. Controlled yet unrelenting offense.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Buttchocks posted:

That's half the fun of watching the match. Drawing out the tachiai is part of the ritual!
Is it considered untoward for amateurs to do all the standing up and walking around and throwing salt and all that?