Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
SHODAI
Wakatakakage
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Tobizaru
Ryuden
Tamawashi

M6-10:
Ura
Oho
Hiradoumi

M11+:
Takarafuji
Kotoshoho
Kagayaki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Kotonowaka
Tobizaru

M1-5:
SHODAI
Abi
Midorifuji

M6-10:
Takayasu
Nishikifuji
Ura

M11+:
Kinbozan
Oho
Hokuseiho

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Lid posted:

Shodai

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

SHODAI

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Shodai.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

More and more people are saying this!

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Shodai and furthermore, SHODAI

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Thauros posted:

wonder what his plans are if he went to the trouble of getting citizenship but doesn't want to stay in sumo

My Google-Fu is weak but early on in his career he said the thing he liked most about Japan is you don't have to look out for wolves. Most Mongolian rikishi hail from Ulaanbaatar, but Ichinojo grew up out on the plains.

I could 100% see the appeal of living in Japan with lots of cash on hand.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Kirishima
He’s dead Jim.

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Daieisho
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
SHODAI
lol that too many people would pick Shodai
Asanoyama

M6-10:
Takayasu
Kinbozan
Hokuseiho

M11+:
Hakuoho
Endo
Kotoshoho

GoatSeeGuy fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 7, 2023

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Nativity In Black posted:

If/When he gets to ozeki, they will drop the 'u'

As it should be.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

this upcoming basho is going to be so wild everyone is going loving crazy right now and literally anyone could be the guy

Yet somehow it will be Shodai.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, this early in his career he absolutely needs to be looking out for his long term health.

Unless they're just talking out their collective asses Sumo: The Next Generation Hakuho/Miyagino Kisenosato/Nishonoseki Terunofuji/Isegahama???? have all mentioned how they're rethinking rikishi health/recovery. You'd have to think even more so for Hakuho seeing as how his earlier 2 proteges have turned to dust, and he's at least walking the walk off the bat here. Luckily the Chosen One can miss a basho or three without losing his salary.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Khizan posted:

I feel like Terunofuji has to be the chosen successor here. He's got to be retiring soon and I haven't heard about him acquiring any other kabu, and I assume he intends to stay in the JSA since he got his Japanese citizenship. If he's going to get Isegahama he won't need to get elder stock for the interim period if he retires soon, because Isegahama-oyakata is 63 and Terunofuji's got the five year yokozuna grace period before he has to find a real kabu.

It's all but a certain (Unless Isegahama has a daughter for Shimanoumi to marry as well) which is why I put some faith in the rumors that Teru is gonna try to Hakuho it in November then bow out. He gets to spend a year in a blue jacket coaching before a peaceful transfer of power.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Takakeisho
Kirishima

S/K:
Kotonowaka
Daieisho
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
SHODAI
Asanoyama
Gonoyama

M6-10:
Endo
Midorifuji
Kinbozan

M11+:
Hokuseiho
Atamifuji
Mitakeumi

GoatSeeGuy fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 9, 2023

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Tracks after he's been seen out and about with a blood sugar monitor for a while now. Between Terutsuyoshi and now Teru there's something up with how Isegahama is handling medical care and diet.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Shodai.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Khizan posted:

I'm skeptical of Chris Sumo's takes on a lot of things, but his take on this was that this came down because all the recent prodigies have gone to the stables like Miyagino(Kiho and Hakuoho) and Nishonoseki(Onosato), and that the grumpy old men of sumo made this change so that younger and more modern oyakata like Hakuho and Kisenosato aren't as able to recruit a promising candidate and have them immediately body their way into juryo within a year.

This one actually feels reasonably likely to me, honestly.

It's not THAT extreme a change, they can still make it to Juryo in just three basho at a Hokuoho/Onosato level. Rusty Asanoyama, Recovering Terunofuji, and Ura Ura all did on their returns. My dart throw/guess is they want guys inside the sumo world and all that entails longer before they get the rights and financial freedom of making Juryo.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

John Gunning ageees, and goes more into the changes including adding some 4th division fast-passes.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2023/10/04/sumo/new-tsukedashi-rules/

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Kirishima
Takakeisho

S/K:
Daieisho
Kotonowaka
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
SHODAI
Nishikigi
Shodai again

M6-10:
Hokuseiho
Atamifuji
Endo

M11+:
Tomokaze
Tamawashi
Roga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

https://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoMain/absence/

Teru, Asanoyama, and Hakuoho officially out Day 1.