Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I am absolutely honored to share the M11 West rank with my boy Tochi this basho, and will endeavor to apply my brand of sumo to 2023.

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Wakatakakage
Wakamotoharu
Shodai

M1-5:
Tobizaru
Tamawashi
Daieisho

M6-10:
Myogiryu
Hiradoumi
Oho

M11+:
Tochinoshin
Kagayaki
Mitoryu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Tochi's looking heavier this basho, but weirdly it seems to have stabilized his knee some as he's not getting moved around as much.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ilmucche posted:

Despite his injury I will be staying with tochinoshin please. Especially after getting the rework to have him on my team

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I'm just putting on record that I will be dying along with Tochi! Less enthusiastic about dying with Oho, but at this point...

This is my brand of fantasy sumo. Ride or die Tochinoshin.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Wish this was unexpected. AFAIK, the sole English-language NHK licensee that carries the full tournament is in the UK, and has been going hyper aggro the last two basho against streams. They were harassing mbovo last time, kept showing up in his stream to spam telling people to go pay for their service if they want sumo, apparently unable to grasp that they're talking to a bunch of mostly US and Australia people who couldn't if they wanted to.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 25, 2023

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Kenning posted:

I'll admit I'm feeling sorta glum this basho with the mass striking of all of the classic channels. I'll probably end up using Natto, I'm just bummed out.

Between that and Tochi getting punted to Juryo, I'm bummed as well.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakamotoharu
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Kotoshoho
Onosho
Midorifuji

M6-10:
Papayasu
Hokutofuji
AOIYAMA

M11+:
Oho
Hokuseiho
Kinbozan

A terrible banzuke without Tochi, but I will preservere.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Nice to hear crowds again, and fat stacks of kenshokin are back in the later matches.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Shodai

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

You see these numbers? This is what happens without Tochinoshin.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

That is some high end sumo thinking.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

pseudodragon posted:

For Tochi specifically, most Ozeki level guys retire before they drop too far. If anything, there's pressure the other way to save dignity and not disappear into the masses. Of course most of those guys have/can get a kabu for retirement so they have something to fall back on, but everyone else probably has to hang on because what else are they going to do?

Looking at all the past Ozeki, it looks like there's 2 retirement points for non-injury. Either right after losing Ozeki like Goeido or they'll do one tourney at Juryo to see if they can bounce back and if both that's it. Went back to look at Ozeki going back to the start of the 6 basho era and unless I missed someone, I can't see anyone that ended their career with more than 1 Juryo basho.

I suspect geopolitics have something to do with it too. He may not want to go back to Georgia just now, with Russia rattling sabers at everyone around them.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The only thing possibly saving me from returning to juryo here is that everyone is doing poorly.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

verbal enema posted:

https://youtu.be/8GsW3tQf88k

Shodai with incalculable strength

Shodai has every attribute one would want out of an ozeki except consistency.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Beeswax posted:

Shodai out there literally rubbing the sleep out of his eyes before the tachiai. Immensely powerful.

This is his absolute best chance ever for a yusho, with Wakatakakage out and Teru looking shaky, so he'd best wake up.

Our boy Tochi is having a real rough time, he's got seven wins in the last three basho combined. I'm expecting we're going to see him retire once he hits the bottom of Juryo, just no knee left and looking like he's lot a lot of muscle. His tachi-ai today was a shadow of its former self, he straight up bounced off of a lighter Hakuyozan and was driven out in a few seconds. :smith:

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 11:30 on May 16, 2023

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

drat. Good run, Tochinoshin. I hope his retirement is excellent.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'm just pleased he looks happy and at peace with retiring. He toughed it out while more beat up than anyone could reasonably expect.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

poo poo, I missed my entry timing.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Kenning posted:

gently caress, I wanna go to Meatland.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, this early in his career he absolutely needs to be looking out for his long term health.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Hoshoryu
Kirishima

S/K:
Daieisho
Kotonowaka
Nishikigi

M1-5:
Hokutofuji
Tamawashi
Shodai

M6-10:
Ryuden
Takayasu
Midorifuji

M11+:
Nishikifuji
Atamifuji
Daishoho

Betting on the Yokozuna taking the month off.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It is absurdly frustrating that NHK won't just allow foreigners to pay them for the web service that they already provide, but instead spend all this time and effort chasing streamers. Hell, I can pay $20 to pick up Willow for the summer to watch CPL cricket, why won't NHK just take my money!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Is Tamawashi fighting hurt, or is age just catching up to him? I feel like he should have at least scraped a win by now.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Eldoop posted:

ATAMIFUJI

I know, right?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Day 13: Takakeisho wants that yusho so bad he can taste it.

Prop bet for the thread: Is Shodai going 8/7 or 7/8?

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Sep 22, 2023

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I was just looking back because I felt like I haven't seen a kinboshi in a while, and it's weird to realize that not only does this basho mark 2 years of Terunofuji being Yokozuna, but he has only put up one full basho in the last year.

KungFu Grip posted:

oh lmao koji kitao. a miserable bastard in both real and fake wrestling. Man was so pissed about having to wrestle and take offensive moves from former Canadian makushita John Tenta (Kototenzan) that they for real fought in the ring and Kitano grabbed a mic in and told all Japanese fans that pro wrestling was fake bullshit.

He tried that poo poo on Haku as well, who took it as well as you'd imagine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90CybNh-XpA

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Archenteron posted:

Tomorrow's going to be a hell of a show

100%. Potential for a very fun ending.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Beeswax posted:

If a rikishi is a one trick pony, you have every opportunity to counter it. One’s tone mad about it¨

edit: for the record, I have no idea what the second sentence here was supposed to be

If you're a one-trick pony who's comfortably sitting at Ozeki, it must be a drat good trick.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Lid posted:

Everyone mad about a henka to win has become the Meddling Old Men who derided it and honourphiles. it owns.

As Hak said "Yokozuna sumo is winning sumo." Atamifuji was nervous as hell, so Takakeisho played him.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Going to pick up a few of the new folks this round, as they haven't disappointed me. Yet.

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Kirishima
Terunofuji

S/K:
Daieisho
Hokutofuji
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Tobizaru
Gonoyama
Takayasu

M6-10:
Atamifuji
Hokuseiho
Takanosho

M11+:
Roga
Kitanowaka
Tomokaze

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Last I saw was that he was at the tour, but hadn't really done full workouts yet, so I'm leaning towards expecting him to be back in January if he's at all smart.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I will continue to focus on doing my style of sumo, and hoping my opponents drafted Tamawashi.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I don't mind them, but I think a lot of things that aren't henkas get called henkas. Sidestepping after impact to hip-throw an opponent is not a henka.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

anakha posted:

Tochi's henka was even more hilarious given that the day before he had a controversial loss that I recall should have at least warranted a rematch.

That henka was him going 'gently caress you for screwing me out of a win'.

This is also late-career Tochi, with a knee that's more tape than bone, so being henka'd by him means you really, really weren't paying enough attention as he doesn't shift that fast.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Wow, he was only 60.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Especially in Japan, where the average is 80+.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Hoshoryu
Kirishima

S/K:
Kotonowaka
Takayasu
Daieisho

M1-5:
Atamifuji
Midorifuji
Nishikigi

M6-10:
Kinbozan
Hokuseiho
Hiradoumi

M11+:
Onosato
Oho
Shimazuumi

Juryo:
Tochimusashi
Tokihayate
Shirokuma

Gonna take a risk on Teru being healthier. Thanks for your ongoing work, Kenning!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Random thoughts:

Kirishima's got the momentum. I have Teru second because I think this is his last basho regardless of the outcome so I see him going all out to win, like a demon, grinding his knees into a fine paste if necessary.

Yeah, that's my feeling on him too. If he's healthy enough, he's going to be looking to either make a dominant return to prove he's still got the goods, or make one last stand to go out with a winning record.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Goddamn, Atamifuji is having a rough start.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

One does not annoy Godzilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fluffdaddy posted:

Yea, Hakuho was an rear end in a top hat when he wanted to be, especially when someone did something he didn't like. But when youre the GOAT you can do that

Hakuho's assholishness usually came off as 'you pull that poo poo with me, you deserve what you get'.

In other news, I'm extremely pleased with my gut pick of Onosato for this basho, he's having a good run from M15W.

Probably permanently, if that really was an ACL tear. Big Dan's not likely to want to make the climb back from makushita at his age and health. :smith:

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jan 21, 2024