Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

What a nice shiny new thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Let's see how things are going with my favorite wrestlers...

Terutsuyoshi = Dead
Tochinoshin = Dying
Ichinojo = Now dead to me
Shohozan = Still alive in my heart. Forever dead on the Banzuke.

While I have been relegated to Juryo, I will continue face the sunset with Tochi!

Edit: Can we submit our pics yet?

Takakeisho / Terunofuji
Wakatakakage / Hoshoryu / Wakamotoharu
Tamawashi / Abi / Sadanoumi
Oho / Aoiyama / Hiradoumi
Tochinoshin / Takarafuji / Kotoeko

Oh please do you saucy minx!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Going to be an interesting San'yaku basho

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Wakatakakage
Hoshoryu
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Ryuden
Mitakeumi
Abi

M6-10:
Ura
Hokutofuji
Oho

M11+:
Tsurugisho
Chiyomaru
Ichiyamamoto

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Top of the Makushita division looking interesting. Ms1 is the highest both wrestlers (Tamashoho and Ishizaki) have ever been. Tamashoho is an eleven year vet and won the division last time out for his first yusho (including beating Asanoyama) of any type and is currently on an eight bout winning run. Ishizaki is just starting his third year in the sport and has spent all bar one basho in the Makushita division, in his last four bashos he has gone 5-2 which would be the same record that got Shonannoumi promoted to Juryo from that position last basho. Going to be very interesting to see how this pair do.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

pseudodragon posted:

I should start paying more attention to Makushita. I've been checking the banzuke between basho because I've been tracking the prospects of Hak and Kise's guys as they're working their way up and the first of the actual recruits (not guys that transfered over like Hokuseiho or vets like Enho) are getting up into upper Makushita and should be pushing for Juryo soon. I hope they succeed and send a bunch of guys up to prove modern techniques work.

Hak's best guy Kawazoe was a college champ and got the MS15 start and is up to Ms7 now. He's also close to Enho sized so he should be fun to watch at least if he finds success.

Kise's best guy Kayo is also a college guy but started SD90 and has worked his way up to Ms18. Also a shorty at 5'7, but at 321 already he's more likely to be confused for Takakeisho than Enho by the time he reaches his prime.

I've started to look further down the banzuke because you do get lots of interesting stories there. Two other fighters from division 5 I'm keeping an eye on are Takerufuji who is a newcomer just out of university and won division 6 last time out. He's in Isegahama stable the same as Terunofuji. As well as Kyokutaisei whose salaried career was going well until he was injury hit then he tumbled from Juryo to division 6. He's now upper division 5 along with Takerufuji and it'll be interesting to see how both of them fare.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

pseudodragon posted:

Another couple lower division guys on my watchlist for storyline reasons:

Kototebakari: Another Sadogatake guy at Ms19. 19 year-old up and comer should be going for sekitori soon. He's also Kotoshoho's kid brother. Also Koto guys making the Makushita > Juryo push are fun because the get to go from Koto<real name> to actual shikona.

Rinko (Sd45) and Hayashiryu (Jd24): Nishonoseki guys who are only 16 so it might be awhile before they make big splashes, but they are twins and that's always cool. They were ranked one after another at Sd80w/81e prior to November but are separated for the first time as Rinko went 5-2 and Hayashiryu 2-5 after having identical records in their first 3 basho.

Those sound like good follows. I also have Kazuto jotted down to follow. He's 19 and in the same stable as Hōshōryū. He has been making steady progress with results of 6-1 (lost the title in a play off), 6-1 and 7-0 (lost the title in a play off). He's now Ms41 and it'll be interesting to see how he goes with the increased skill level of the competition.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

bartolimu posted:

Kototebakari features heavily in many of Chris Sumo's post-basho retrospective stuff. Chris has been following him since high school or even earlier, so he has lots of footage (including old Hakuho Cup matches) to intersperse with more recent footage. I get the impression they know each other well enough to chat once in a while as well.

Chris seems to have managed to get in good with a few wrestlers, including Ura.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kenning posted:

Alright, we've seen some great sumo so far this basho.

Day 2 standings:

Makuuchi
code:
7	jmzero
7	Tiny Bug Child
6	bessantj
6	Mode 7

drat you Tiny Bug Child. You don't know me and we've never interacted but with you one point and place above me you are my mortal nemesis!

Also is this the best start to a pro sumo career?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

How many trades do we get?

Can I trade Ryuden for Abi please?

Apraxin posted:

he's got a ways to go before the current record.

(points if you can guess who it belongs to before clicking through)

I was more laughing at the fact that he was straight in at Ms15 and his first match is a walk over.

Tiny Bug Child posted:

Nothing personal, you're just standing in the way of my return to yokogoona :evilbuddy:

Fortunately my natural ability to be terrible sees you well ahead of me now.

EDIT: Didn't have Kotoshoho in my initial picks!

bessantj fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 12, 2023

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

With all these channels getting shut down we really are entering a sumo dark time.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Chris Sumo with a long post about the banned channels

quote:

Hello everyone,

In light of recent channel takedowns, I'm concerned that important issues are going undiscussed. For me, the focus really has to shift from "how does YouTube Sumo defy NHK?" to "how does YouTube Sumo gain approval?" As seemingly the only independent channel in any language to have relations with both the sumo association and NHK, it might be useful for me to share my experience. Here's what I feel is the essential five-point checklist to guard against any potential problems regarding a YouTube Sumo channel.

(1) Is everybody in my inner circle ok with what I'm doing?
This should be the easiest one to clear... but I fell at this hurdle. In late-2019, my student of many years published her first book: Japanese Copyright Law Explained for High School Students. After reading this book and attending the launch party, it soon became clear that my random use of NHK footage was making it impossible to look her in the eye. Within a few weeks, I'd phased out all my NHK footage to zero. I now celebrate 3 years of going "cold turkey" on NHK footage and she is still my student.

(2) Can I justify to NHK what I'm doing?
There is no way a traditional Japanese company like NHK will accept any form of justification for extensive use of their footage without permission. They had to fight for three years (as NHK radio) just to negotiate admission to the sumo hall (1925-28) and they currently pay $30 million per year for the exclusive camera positions to produce footage which is only intended for TV. They are currently under attack from the "Destroy NHK" political party, led by the ex-NHK Director of Sumo Programming who is sure to make political capital from unauthorized use of sumo footage. ("Look how useless NHK is! It can't even protect its own copyright, thereby disrespecting the license payer... blah, blah, blah). So the only surefire way to avoid a clash is to ensure no YouTube Sumo footage belongs to NHK.

(3) Do I have relations with NHK?
If you do, your life's a lot easier. If you want to use their footage, please contact them directly. If you have a famous company behind you, they may even let you use it. If you don't intend to use their footage you can rest easy, but if you're filming by yourself in their full view it still helps to build direct relations. At least three of the Japanese NHK commentators more than know who I am (one of them even calls out to me). Better still, they know I respect them perhaps even more than the wrestlers because, from the way I talk, they can feel they are the role models for the activity I'm doing. If you're constantly asking yourself: "What would my NHK hero do? How can I be more like him or her?" you can't go far wrong. (You certainly wouldn't conclude they'd furtively record their own company's footage).

(4) Do I have relations with the sumo association press office?
These guys have the power to make or break any prominent attempt to report sumo, so you have to announce yourself to them. In my case, that means they have my contact details and my resume (so they can put a proper job to my name - "Sumo YouTuber" doesn't count). Most importantly, I have spoken to them directly to make sure they at least tolerate what I'm doing (they can never openly endorse it). All they have specifically said to me is: "Don't shoot backstage. You need formal permission for that." In terms of filming bouts, they said: "We can't officially comment on YouTube uploads (but fans clearly do it). We simply ask that any photography or filming is done from your seat and nowhere else." Those rules are written on the matchday programs in Japanese and English; nowhere is it written that you are forbidden to bring in a camera. There are of course image rights issues stemming from every photograph or video taken even on a mobile phone in the arena. However, the association's current position is not to clamp down on image right infringements, as they would need hundreds of staff to do it.

(5) Does sumo make money from me?
At the end of the day, money talks. If sumo people constantly see you buying tickets, attending functions and giving money to wrestlers, they'll be much more receptive to you and your requests. So much the better for the YouTuber if sumo folk receive money directly from your channel. The wrestler who, last October, received the proceeds from my video about him certainly wants to see more of me! (He enjoyed the video too).

So, that's it. Any YouTuber clearing those five points will not experience any problems. If you're walking through the Kokugikan lobby and a wrestler shouts: "Oh, did you get some good videos for your YouTube?" (as happened at the Hakuho Cup), you'll know you're doing fine. What should be clear is that this can't be done at arm's length anymore; direct communication with the people concerned is vital.

Hence, the defining moment for YouTube Sumo arrives: charge into headlong battle with sumo's major players, or lay down the screen-recording weapons and seek a truce on sumo/NHK terms? Opinions are worryingly divided and, despite my very best efforts since 2020 (and it's clear the wrestler messaging campaign made it's mark), my channel has failed to bridge that gap (hence, you see less of me than before). But maybe another channel can, and I wish that channel no end of luck.

For now, can I express my public support for Hiro Morita, who is clearly pushing hard against stereotypes of foreign fans to incorporate your suggestions into Sumo Prime Time. My hope for now is that he gets the backing he deserves to make the official channel a sparkling success - and earn more revenue directly for sumo!

Sounds like he has put in an awful lot of work over the past few years to develop the right relationships and it seems to be working for him. Does sound like the channels we love (Natto et al) are going to have a harder time of it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't know if it really worked out for chris, except insofar as his channel hasn't been nuked. He dramatically pulled back on coverage this basho, I strongly assume due to the channel not growing as hoped.

However you feel about him though, it definitely wasn't for lack of effort. Kind of a shame

I think he said he scaled it back because it was so physically exhausting for him to cover all the days he did.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Super weird vibes from that post, his solution seems to be "be Chris sumo" or "if you aren't Chris sumo, simp as hard as I did and hope for the best".

I'm still bummed over kinta and Jason, but I'll stick to not watching Chris. Here's hoping Giro's channel keeps improving.

Yeah it really feels like that and I guess it's the way to go. I guess if you're with a big media company like the BBC, ESPN or Sky Sports then you'd have a hell of an easier time than then people like Jason and Natto. It's a real shame because they're the ones exposing people to sumo and getting interest overseas. If there's nothing like that out there then my own personal interest will probably wane. As Ice Phisherman says, they're asking for piracy.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Well here goes nothing, thanks for running this Kenning and congrats on he up coming wedding.

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakamotoharu
Wakatakakage

M1-5:
Abi
Tamawashi
Midorifuji

M6-10:
Takayasu
Nishikifuji
Ura

M11+:
Oho
Kagayaki
Kinbozan

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I see Ichinojo isn't loving around.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Average Lettuce posted:

Day 6: drat, the guys who win against Takakeisho take huge stacks of sponsorship money home. Is that actually a lot of money?

It can be, those envelopes carry around $300 in them so depending on how many are there and for the top bouts it could be up to 40, with Hakuho it could be over 60, that's a decent chunk of change for their retirement.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Average Lettuce posted:

I actually thought it would be more (considering rikishi have short careers, they have to accumulate a lot to have a comfortable life after retirement). Still, it must feel nice to get it.

That pay is more of a bonus. If you're in Makuuchi but outside San'yaku you're getting around $14,000 a month base pay. Then you have all the bonuses on top of that plus palling around with rich people from the supporters groups. There's a lot of money in the dohyo.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Teddybear posted:

Day 8 Juryo chat: Ochiai's been rolling in Juryo. After debuting at Ms15 last basho and going 7-0, he's at the very bottom of the Juyro ranks and tied for the lead at 7-1 with Asanoyama, Ichinojo, and Gonoyama. Granted he's only faced folks J10 and under, but for only his second professional tournament he's off to a blazing start.

Also interesting: Asanoyama's one loss was to Ichinojo; Ichinojo's one loss was to Gonoyama. Gonoyama's one loss was to Roga, though, and Ochiai's was to Tamashoho.

I'm quite interested in how Shonannoumi is going. He's spent nearly a decade trying to get into the salaried ranks and now that he's here he has a good chance of making it into the Makuuchi division. He's currently at J3 with a record of 5-3 (2 of those losses are to Ichinojo and Ansanoyama so he doesn't need to fight them again) which isn't great but I think if he manages a 9-6 or 10-5 he has a good shot at getting that promotion. He's had a bout in Makuuchi beating Bushozan. Making it to the Makuuchi division after 9 years of trying would be great reward for his efforts.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thauros posted:

whoa i had no idea he was another hakuho guy. he obviously warranted it but how did he earn a debut at makushita 15 anyway? i know about the university sumo promotions like with kinbozan, but this presumably doesn't apply to him since he's 19 and doesn't have a school listed

I think it's because he was an amateur yokozuna.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kenning posted:

Juryo
code:
38.5	Average Lettuce
37	Beexoffel
27.5	Ben Nerevarine
29	Bentai
39.5	bessantj
33	Boogalo
38	Brut
28.5	Chinook
32.5	Dead Goon
37	do it on my face
34	Eldoop
36.5	Elissimpark
39.5	Fearless
41.5	Gaghskull
27.5	ImplicitAssembler
43.5	Lid
39.5	Log082
32.5	Nativity In Black
28	oldskool
41	PJ
25	Pvt. Public
40.5	QuasiQuack
35	rare Magic card l00k
35	riderchop
41	Robviously
26.5	Samuel L. Hacksaw
38	Single Tight Female
39	ullerrm
36	whats for dinner
24.5	Xerzes

What's going on here big K?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

NuclearPotato posted:

This tweet points to no, though just 10 wins should clinch Ozeki for him for July: https://twitter.com/patriciajaydee/status/1640152884489883651?s=20

With 11-4 and 12-3 records of the last two bashos you'd feel Kiribayama would be very hard done by if he didn't get promoted from 10 wins. With 11 wins in the next basho Daieisho would have the 33 wins from 3 bashos that they traditionally look for for an Ozeki but one of these was outside the san'yaku ranks so maybe the JSA are determined that a Yokozuna/Ozeki-less basho will not happen again.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I can't believe another basho is upon us!

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho

S/K:
Kiribayama
Wakamotoharu
Hoshoryu

M1-5:
Abi
Ura
Midorifuji

M6-10:
Tamawashi
Onosho
Ryuden

M11+:
Asanoyama
Hokuseiho
Ichiyamamoto

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Lucasar posted:

Wakamotoharu is becoming a favourite of mine. Mostly because he will never not at least attempt an utchari, the most heroic of all kimarite.

I've been hoping that Wakatakamoto can actually make a surprise run and get into the top division and perhaps we can have Wakatakamoto, Wakamotoharu and Wakatakakage all together.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Lower down the rankings in Makushita Shishi sitting at Ms2 now has a 5-0 record that I think more or less guarantees him his first promotion into Juryo.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Brut posted:

Yeah, especially with at least 2 spots opening up due to retirements (Ichinojo, Tochinoshin), and Chiyonokuni is 0-9 at J9w so unless he turns things around he might find himself giving up his slot as well.

Also there's currently two people undefeated in Juryo, I wonder if we end up seeing a zensho-yusho, there's only been 5 occurrences of a 15 win record in Juryo and all 5 were from men who eventually reached Ozeki (one reached Yokozuna).

Gonoyama's sumo has really come along great.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Yes all eyes on Juryo tomorrow. Gonoyama is currently 9-1 at J1 (His highest ever ranking) fights thread interest Ochiai 10-0 at J8 (his highest ever ranking). It seems very possible that the two of them will go into Makuuchi next basho. With a KK already I can't see how Gonoyama doesn't get promoted.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Quite excited to see what Wakamotoharu will end on. July Basho could be an exciting Ozeki push from him.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Bentai posted:

Found out more about the two lovely foreign fans at Osaka that nearly blackballed BuySumoTickets.com:

The fans tried to enter the stadium with their sales invoice, and when they were rightly refused, started loudly raising a fuss until they were asked to leave. They never opened the ticket envelope that actually had their tickets, nor did they ever contact BuySumoTickets about "whurr ticket?" Eventually they did get the bright idea to open the envelope, but were then refused entrance because of their tantrum earlier in the day.

loving gaijin ruining it for the rest of us!

We're not sending our best.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

It's funny that this thread has hardly mentioned Takakeisho this basho, he has been a real non entity.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Average Lettuce posted:

Day 13: lmao at all the hype for the Terunofuji vs Asanoyama match and in the end it all seemed so simple for Teru. Kinda weird that we will have Teru vs Kiri tomorrow, are they expecting Teru to fight Takakeisho on the last day?

Terunofuji really seems to have Asanoyama number, 6 fights 6 wins.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

It's nice to see Kiribayama going into Ozeki off the back of some excellent results.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Bentai posted:

Ochiai has been given a new shikona, Hakuoho.

Written like 伯桜鵬 (はくおうほう).

I hope he is promoted with Gonoyama. There seems to be the start of a rivalry there, at the moment it's pretty one sided with Gonyama winning all three of their matches and his playoff win was really dominant. Be interesting if they meet up again in Makuuchi next basho will Ochiai/Hakuoho be able to get a measure of revenge.

Though Teru was very good against Takakeisho. Clamped him quick then ushered him into the stands like he was a confused old man who forgot where his seating was.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 28, 2023

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Not surprised Ishiura has retired as has been stated about his injury. Hoping he does well as a coach.

Tanji recently finished the most recent basho at sd11 with a 5-2 record which should see him promoted to Makushita for the first time since his debut a year ago. Nothing amazing about reaching the 3rd division after 7 bashos but Tanji is only 16.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 1, 2023

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Nice one Robviously, thanks for running the fantasy.

whats for dinner posted:

Thanks for running this, Robviously! Congrats to bessantj on the win!

Typical that the one I actually win doesn't promote me out of Juryo :cry:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I'm interested to see how Gonoyama will do, he has been getting better and better. Also Shonannoumi is a real tale of never giving up, it's taken him nearly 10 years but he's finally in the top division.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Should be an exciting Basho, there's some cool new faces in the top division and I'm interested in seeing how Oho does now he is within touching distance of San'yaku.

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Kirishima

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakamotoharu
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Asanoyama
Ura
Mitakeumi

M6-10:
Hokuseiho
Nishikifuji
Takayasu

M11+:
Gonoyama
Hakuoho
Wakatakakage

bessantj fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 7, 2023

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Good to see all the Ozeki contenders starting off strong as well as the three division new boys winning as well.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Nishikigi made Terunofuji look like he should be in Juryo.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Hello Kenning, may I trade the Kyujo Kaiju for Kirishima please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Bit late thanks to being in work and the U.K. but can I trade Asanoyama for Ura?