Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Happy new year everybody.

Y/O:
Takakeisho
-
-

S/K:
Wakatakakage
Kotonowaka
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Nishikigi
Mitakeumi
Nishikifuji

M6-10:
Ura
Takanosho
Oho

M11+:
Chiyomaru
Kotoeko
Ichiyamamoto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Abi would have to be promoted to Ozeki before getting to Yokozuna - so he wouldn't get that promotion if he wins this one. Takakeisho could get promoted, since he lost in the playoff last tournament, but I think that I recall some rumblings that he'd need to have a very good performance to get the promotion, and not just a 12-3 yusho sort of thing?

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Beeswax posted:

Respect Hokutofuji, greatest pre-tachiai moves in the biz. From the big pat-down to the deep breath (pictured) to the foot planting to the weight-shifting idle-animation squat

Hokutofuji driving his feet into the dohyo before the tachiai is one of my absolute favorite sumo moves.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Congrats Kenning!

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Terunofuji
-

S/K:
Wakatakakage
Hoshoryu
Tobizaru

M1-5:
Nishikigi
Tamawashi
Kotoshoho

M6-10:
Ura
Endo
Sadanoumi

M11+:
Hokuseiho
Kinbozan
Bushozan

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Brut posted:

It's always Sunday. In this case it is Sunday the 26th. (Japan time)

To add on, the first days for each basho are the second Sundays in January, March, May, July, September, and November, and they run for 15 days, finishing on a Sunday.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

And that explains why I couldn't find him in the list. Hope he drops some weight and heals up in retirement.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Hoshoryu
Kirishima

S/K:
Tobizaru
Wakamotoharu
Daieisho

M1-5:
Asanoyama
Ura
Meisei

M6-10:
Hakuoho
Kinbozan
Endo

M11+:
Takarafuji
Atamifuji
Kotoshoho

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Buttchocks posted:

"It's ok to have constant career-threatening injuries as long as somebody wins the cup. You see, there's no need to reform the system."

They really did come up with an impressively bad statement about this.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Hoshoryu
Kirishima

S/K:
Hokutofuji
Kotonowaka
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Nishikigi
Midorifuji
Gonoyama

M6-10:
Kotoeko
Kinbozan
Hokuseiho

M11+:
Roga
Kitanowaka
Tomokaze

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

It is going to be an absolute sumo miracle if my guys can turn this around in the second half!

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Ouch!

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Apraxin posted:

combining henka chat with 'videos of old bouts are hard to find', here's mainoumi pulling off a hassoutobi, which i don't think i've seen anyone seriously attempt in the past decade or more (whole vid is pretty great)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcknTDbDT6w&t=605s

This is pretty great - thanks for sharing it. The bout starting at about 2:02 in this has the most 'footwork' I think I've ever seen.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Here's hoping I don't stink it up quite so much this time:

Y/O:
Kirishima
Takakeisho
Hoshoryu

S/K:
Kotonowaka
Takayasu
Daieisho

M1-5:
Gonoyama
Midorifuji
Shodai

M6-10:
Ichiyamamoto
Hokuseiho
Kinbozan

M11+:
Oho
Churanoumi
Tsurugisho

Juryo:
Roga
Takerufuji
Daiamami

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

What an amazing finish. I'm so glad that I was able to watch a basho again. I could sorta see _____Ura_____ setting something up but I didn't expect it to be that rare. I'm also glad that Wakatakakage seems to be on his way back finally.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho
Kirishima

S/K:
Nishikigi
Wakamotoharu
Daieisho

M1-5:
Atamifuji
Oho
Midorifuji

M6-10:
Hokutofuji
Gonoyama
Kinbozan

M11+:
Takerufuji
Roga
Daiamami

Juryo:
Wakatakakage
Asakoryu
Tsushimanada

I'm pleased to be able to pick my man Wakatakakage once again.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

I'd like to request a trade of Terunofuji for Hoshoryu, or whoever if that doesn't pan out. I'd trade some of my other guys if it wasn't just rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic.

I think next tournament I'll make all of my picks and then go back and pick a completely different roster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

That was a fun basho. Rare kimarite and authoritative throws are my favorite things in sumo and I feel like we've been getting a lot of those lately.