Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I just saw my first sumo tourney (or I'm most of the way through it anyway-- the March Grand Sumo as shown on NHK youtube). I had watched a little bit of sumo without context, knew a little from stuff online, etc., so I decided to take a diversion to watch Hakuho.

Is all the stuff in the OP about that nasty forearm strike he leveled a guy with? Was he sort of a flashpoint of the push between elite athletics and all the shinto cultural project stuff?

And back to the Grand Sumo, does Ura's pink mawashi signify anything? I remember hearing that purple was something you had to earn, but he's the only one I see in pink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Has anyone demoted to juryo ever been financially ruined because they were living too high on the hog with their makuuchi money?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Who should I, a new fan, root against

Kotonowaka looks weird, can I boo him

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What idiot called it sumo and not Salt Fat Mass & Yeet

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Does Ryuden kick puppies or something? He seemed like a pretty good competitor in the tourney.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Great Muta and Yingling the Erotic Terrorist must be beside themselves. It's always a tragedy when parents outlive their baby boy.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

This is only my second tournament so I've got a lot of questions. Thanks in advance to anyone who wants to take a crack at any of it:

It's not without exception but it seems a lot of the smaller, more compact guys with more visible musculature are beating the guys with big overflowing body fat. Is this a trend? I think of Hakuho and Tochinoshin also being more visibly muscular. Does this have any different impact on the long-term health of the rikishi?

What's happening after the post-match bow? I assume the winner is taking like a winner's bonus envelope or something? What's the significance of the gesture they perform?

I think back to that bout where Hakuho just clobbered the guy with his forearm. If you can do that, why does it not happen more? And if you can throat thrust, why does *that* not happen more?

Do we ever learn that various rikishi are close friends? Hated enemies? Is there ever any kind of insight into their lives past the highly regimented grand tourneys?

Thanks again. Having a lot of fun with this!

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 13, 2024

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is there a better way to experience this than the daily digest from NHK? Is it worth watching with all the delays and stuff that come with seeing it live?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Shonanoumi vs. Shodai ruled.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Jesus this guy in a lower division bout was 210kg. I've never seen someone that big wrestle.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So catching up on the tegatana thing, this is literally like if golf spontaneously decided that everybody had to do the Chi Chi Rodriguez thing of fencing with your putter to celebrate a birdie? Like it is precisely that arbitrary and silly?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Takayasu has the best mug shot of any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Shiroc posted:

I really, really, really want Takayasu to get at least one yusho. He has the ability and skill to get it, he's just not getting any younger or less injured.

Speaking of, is 40 the unofficial cutoff in sumo like it is in most sports?