Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What happens if Takakeisho gets injured early on in the basho? Everyone just eats an mk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
From Natto's discord. Use advisedly in event of big L in thread

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Very impressive tachiai by Ura, going toe to toe with Hokutofuji like that.

Also pleasantly surprised by Mitakeumi's blitz of Wakatakakage. Long since we saw that sort of fire from Mitakeumi.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ImplicitAssembler posted:

So, I'd love to take part in the discussions (or at least read the posts), but since I usually watch the NHK highlights, I'm a day behind most posters.
Would it be possible to put a day number before the spoiler tags?

Day 1 : Shodai lost again

This is a really good idea tbh

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Beexoffel posted:

Pity, I forgot to submit my teams because I was on a trip.
I hope to join again next basho!

Edit: here is what I would have submitted were I on time:

I believe tradition is to accept late entries. You just forfeit points from the days you missed

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
While I agree that I’m sumo, like a demon you go all out to win, I also maintain that trading for non-injury reasons is a sign of poor fighting spirit. Why yes, I am on the fantasy YDC, why do you ask?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Respect Hokutofuji, greatest pre-tachiai moves in the biz. From the big pat-down to the deep breath (pictured) to the foot planting to the weight-shifting idle-animation squat

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Only thing that ever comes close is Ura’s big breath and little hand twirl

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

some kinda jackal posted:

gently caress off      Chiyoshoma you big turd

I disagree!

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

some kinda jackal posted:

Sir you have besmirched the honour of Takarafuji and I challenge you to a duel. Handfuls of salt at twenty paces.

Look I love the #1 hard-working salaryman of sumo, but he's been around for ages and should know better than to charge headlong at the wiliest, most mercenary man in the game.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Day 10:
Loved Shodai's commitment to the most awkward arm clamps you'll ever see. Got the job done too!

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Day 12: Onosho at the top of the leaderboard. What a time to be alive

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Random thought that popped up in my head: anyone know how Ishiura is doing? He's been out with injury for almost a year now

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Marching Powder posted:

I think I read that he's retiring due to injury.

Yeah I sort of assumed he had retired but his Wikipedia page only states that he withdrew from the March 2022 basho due to injury and he seems to still get a spot on the bazuke each basho. His current rank is Sd30w

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Hakuho looking ready to launch into some standards to the delight of his audience

https://twitter.com/hochi_sumo/status/1619306843695898627

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm never on Discord, but Natto's is very active and seems like a robust fallback when/if channels get nuked

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My main man Hokutofuji. Love the guy. Just gonna go ahead and quote myself

Beeswax posted:

Respect Hokutofuji, greatest pre-tachiai moves in the biz. From the big pat-down to the deep breath (pictured) to the foot planting to the weight-shifting idle-animation squat

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The best part about Sadanoumi is that he looks unathletic in the most unassuming way. Sure you got guys like Akiseyama who may be less athletic due to their plain weird proportions, but Sadanoumi is recognisable by how plain and pasty he is. Just a guy who goes to the gym once a week and spends a lot of time binging on netflix series.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Or hit up Natto's discord/find whatever youtube channel he uses this time around. He's never broken his stride when he's been DMCA'd

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

net work error posted:

Do you have a link or code to the discord?

https://discord.gg/nattosumo

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

pseudodragon posted:

M1-5: Mira is better than this, right? He was so consistent for so long he's gotta bounce back...

6 straight make-koshis seems very consistent to me!

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Huge pop from the crowd for the Shodai.

edit: Tamawashi vs WTK ruled, so did Ura vs Ichiyamamoto. Man, good crowd throughout. Great to hear some atmosphere back in the arena.

Beeswax fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 12, 2023

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Sea level Shodai

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My main man Hokutofuji looking like poo poo this basho, getting walked out by Midorifuji is not where you want to be at :/

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Non-kyujo trades are for cowards.

:hai:

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Some funny moves on the dohyo on day 5! Old man Tamawashi's Ura-roll, Kotoshoho's belly flop, Kiribayama's little twirl, and of course Hoshoryu's bm-trip after the bell

Also, that was a very rough (but fair) reversal on the Wakatakakage - Mitakeumi bout. The audience were NOT on board.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Hokuseiho out there making Kotoeko look like a small adult son

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna say it: I'm against Shodai. posting

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Day 11
Very fun matches today. Really hoping Midorifuji can finish strong. Would hate to see Daieisho take the yusho. The guy is excellent at what he does, it's just a boring style to watch.

Also, very happy to see wily old Chiyoshoma get his KK.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Day 12:
I love Ura's dedication to doing forward rolls whenever the slightest opportunity presents itself

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Real shame about Ichi having to retire, but good on him for putting his health first

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Wait, we're not?

Or well, I'm retired. But you're not?

I'm sure there's got to be someone willing to fill in for Kenning if he's away getting married (congrats btw!)

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Feel free to paste the contents, the page can't be viewed in EU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Shodai out there literally rubbing the sleep out of his eyes before the tachiai. Immensely powerful.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Day4:
No idea is Hokuseiho's gameplan was literally "hang on with a single hand, be tall and unweildy, wait for opponent to gas out" but by god it worked. The least intense performance you'll ever see but you can't argue with the result.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Day5:
Oh man, Ura just running headlong into the arm clamps was... a choice for sure

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
RIP sky crane, hope retirement treats him well

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I think it’s great! Thanks for posting :)

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Day 7:
Big Doofus Abi first shamefully henkaing the smallest wrestler in the division, then trying to do it AGAIN on the torinaoshi was hilarious. Absolute galoot.

As much as I dislike oshi-zumo, Daieisho is terrifying and really impressive when he's on form.

Teru looking terrifying so far, but he hasn't gone up against top level competition yet. We'll see if he can keep it up in the second week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

bartolimu posted:

That's one way of seeing it, but here's another: Hakuho's always had an incredibly good sense of important moments. He's more in love with sumo - the drama of it, not just the execution of the sport - than probably anyone else on the planet. Every time before that match, Tochi was just another rikshi coming for him and got dispatched in whatever way he could manage. This match was different: the guy's on an Ozeki run, competing for the yusho, and obviously in the best form he's ever been in. It would be supremely disappointing for the audience if Hakuho beat Tochi in a way that didn't let him show off his style. The best story is either the GOAT faces a challenger on the challenger's terms and wins, or the plucky challenger actually pulls it off and asserts his style over the great Yokozuna.

Well, he also henka'd several people in potentially climactic fights. Look at that infamous Harumafuji bout, or the Kisenoasato one (which was hilarious, to be fair).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cfY3XFm63U