Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Considering I'm only into sumo and babes right now, here are my picks for the former

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Takakeisho, SSJ2
Takakeisho, evil, goateed

S/K:
Takayasu
Wakatakakage
Hoshoryu

M1-5:
Tobizaru
Tamawashi
Sadanoumi

M6-10:
Ura
Takanosho
Hokutofuji

M11+:
Tochinoshin
Kotoeko
Chiyomaru

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Kenning posted:

Ben Nerevarine

Y/O: Takakeisho
S/K: Takayasu
M1-5: Tobizaru
M6-10: Ura
M11+: Tochinoshin

Dream team! Thank you Kenning for believing in and promoting my own personal style of sumo. HAKKEOI!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Mode 7 posted:

Day 2:

Ura v. Hokutofuji - Hell yeah! Ganbare, Ura-san! Definitely much better form than day 1.

I forget if it was this match or yesterday’s when I noticed Ura suppressed his tachiai double hop… because the other guy beat him to it :ssh:

His flourish at the end of today’s match had me hootin’ and hollerin’

quote:

Tobizaru v. Takakeisho - HELL YEAH TOBIZARU. Really loved seeing Tobizaru lock in and refine his style of sumo over the last couple of basho. That rapid attacking but ever shifting offense, where he just laterally slides away from opponent attempts to lock him down or push him. It really seems to be working well for him and it owns. He's my second favourite rikishi to watch after Hoshoryu.

Seconded, Tobizaru’s got a dynamism about him that makes him extra fun to watch, lots of footwork and quick shifting his weight around. actually why I like Ura as well

also love to see my man Tommy Mawashi coming out strong

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

whats for dinner posted:

https://twitter.com/TheSumoSoul/status/1613368029659951105?s=20

Tochi noooooo :smith: Given it looked like a dislocated shoulder or broken collarbone I don't think he's coming back...

poo poo. drat. Kenning, I'd like to trade Tochinoshin for Kotoeko or Chiyomaru if possible

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Lid posted:

Day 5 Ura got Ura'd

He’s looking very predictable off the tachiai and other rikishi are taking advantage :smith:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
All my favorite boys are dropping like big flies :negative:

Kenning I’d like to trade Takayasu for Hoshoryu or Wakatakakage please

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Kenning posted:

So, both Hoshoryu and Wakatakakage are full. This is a weird circumstance, cause normally I would just throw the picks open to whoever in the case of kyujo, but there are so many S/K options right now. I've decided, in a break with tradition, to assign you and any remaining Takayasu players Kiribayama, who had the best score at the time Takayasu went kyujo. I hope that's satisfactory.

Once again thanks for your time and effort, Kenning

Incredible

anakha posted:

Jesus Christ Keisho, stop leading with your face.

Hopefully we don't start seeing cup therapy as applied to the face

Ben Nerevarine fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 15, 2023

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

some kinda jackal posted:

Takakeisho really can't afford to lose any more blood so I'm glad this one went quickly lol

Look at him though, that guy’s just full of blood

I’m glad Ura is doing so well but he’s been looking real shaky off the tachiai and today was no exception, like his whole rhythm is off

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Hoping Hoshoryu can get to KK tomorrow and call it quits—that ankle is still clearly pretty tender and I’d hate to see him make it worse

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Tiny Bug Child posted:

This has been a really entertaining basho. Lots of very good sumo, lots of goofy henkas.

D13: if you had told me Mitakeumi vs Tobizaru was going to be a failed henka punished hilariously I still never would have expected that. lol. Also Takakeisho vs Onosho ruled but drat was that brutal, so many head clashes

I had to see the replay to understand what Mita was even trying to do with that leg raise, what a strange bout

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Hokutofuji vs Takarafuji looking like a drat mirror match

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
My Jason torrent is stalled at 99.9% with 0 seeders :negative:

edit: looks like this is related to the torrent still being in "derive" mode on archive.org, the original uploader is apparently waiting for it to finish and will reupload after some time if it fails

Ben Nerevarine fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 3, 2023

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Any word on Terunofuji yet? Does his inclusion in the banzuke mean he’s definitely in, or could he still announce he’s sitting out again?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Y/O:
Takakeisho
Terunofuji

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Tobizaru
Wakatakakage

M1-5:
Tamawashi
Onosho
Midorifuji

M6-10:
Ura
Hokutofuji
Hiradoumi

M11+:
Hokuseiho
Takanosho
Kotoeko

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
URA

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Ichinojo vs Hokuseiho: When worlds-sized men collide

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I feel for my boy Midorifuji with how his run ended but by god he put up the numbers. I’d like to see him go for more leg pulls, if he gets to sanyaku he’s going to need some equalizing technique given his stature

My stable started out strong but ended very poorly, mainly due to a poor showing by old man Tommy Mawashi and a less than stellar performance by Tobi. The loss of Tochinoshin left me without an anchor. Anyway, I’ll continue to practice my brand of sumo and babes

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

Long awaited return of THE CLAMPS

That looked painful and Tobi was rubbing his pecs on the way out, hope he didn't pull something :ohdear:

Beeswax posted:

Day4:
No idea is Hokuseiho's gameplan was literally "hang on with a single hand, be tall and unweildy, wait for opponent to gas out" but by god it worked. The least intense performance you'll ever see but you can't argue with the result.

Kid’s so big that leaning forward can be an entire winning strategy

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I noticed someone, Onosho I think it was, tuck a little salt into their mawashi before the bout. I've never seen that before, is that a thing? Anyway it was perfect for him specifically because it was right into the little pocket between the mawashi and his belly button.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Looks like Ishiura just retired :(

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

My God. They've bequeathed him The Glove...

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUi1PdYn5nk

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Y/O:
Terunofuji
Kirishima

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Daieisho
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Asanoyama
Tobizaru
Ura

M6-10:
Hokuseiho
Takayasu
Tamawashi

M11+:
Hakuoho
Tsurugisho
Gonoyama

Ben Nerevarine fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 7, 2023

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Had to go back and replace Wakatakakage, having forgotten about his knee surgery. My dreams of a Double Wakaing, dashed!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Tobizaru’s already got the best body in the biz, he’s a beautifully rounded guy

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I think he’s going to hit a ceiling soon as his sheer height and size no longer cut it. We saw some inklings of that on day 2 versus Oho where he looked unsteady and struggled to maintain his footing. When he can’t move the opponent out immediately his strategy seems to be to stand and rest in the top position while he gasses out the other guy, which is not a bad strategy, but it’s only going to get him so far

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Incredible effort and stick-to-it-iveness today

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Not sure if this is eligible given we're edging into day 8 but I'd like to trade Asanoyama for Tobizaru

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I hope Hakuoho didn’t seriously injure that shoulder, he’s run out of room for tape

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I won't be upset if Hokutofuji takes this whole thing, guy's been on a tear

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Thanks as always, Kenning. A memorable basho, and with this new blood rising through the ranks, so begins a new era in which I will continue to practice my brand of sumo.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Here we go Wakatakakagain

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Takakeisho
Wakamotoharu

S/K:
Tobizaru
Wakamotoharu
Daieisho

M1-5:
Asanoyama
Shodai
Ura

M6-10:
Onosho
Midorifuji
Kinbozan

M11+:
Hokuseiho
Sadanoumi
Atamifuji

Ben Nerevarine fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 8, 2023

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Hirayuki posted:

Dammit, who is this rikishi? I sent this to my husband specifically because we recognize the guy, but the name just isn't coming to me. It sucks to be old.

I believe that is Tsurugisho

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Kuros posted:

On the opposite end, you have Hokuseiho who looks weak even when he wins as of late.

It looks like the guy’s barely trying, but I guess someone of that size just moves differently

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ9TNOeSARY

My heart broke for Atamifuji coming out of that last match, the guy was clearly devastated and on the verge of tears. That said... in the end, like a demon, you go all out to win. Goateed evil Takakeisho all the way to yokozuna.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Y/O:
Takakeisho
Hoshoryu
Kirishima

S/K:
Kotonowaka
Daieisho
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Gonoyama
Nishikigi
Ura

M6-10:
Atamifuji
Mitakeumi
Kinbozan

M11+:
Roga
Tamawashi
Tsurugisho

Ben Nerevarine fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 10, 2023

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Takakeisho’s neck status is making me nervous about my picks, but hell, I’m going to root for his Yokozuna run until his head pops off his shoulders

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I’d like to trade Roga for Takarafuji please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Trading Roga early was a good move. Less good was trading him for Takarafuji. I should have gone with my gut and traded for Tamawashi—I keep expecting the old man to falter, but he continues to hang on and put up decent numbers. Despite these setbacks I will train harder than ever on my brand of sumo.