Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Name: luscious
Personal Challenge: 52
Booklord 2023? No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I’m asking the thread for a wildcard recommendation JUST IN CASE I do the book lord thing.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

January

Klara and the Sun - 6.5/10
The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window 6/10
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo 6.5/10
A Very Short Introduction to Time 6.5/10
Normal People 7.5/10
The Maidens 5.5/10
Weather 3/10

Currently reading:
Here and Now and Then
A Very short Introduction to Aristotle

January's theme seemed to be "therapy."

As far as I could tell, Normal People was a book about CPTSD, The Maidens did a good job of really explaining therapeutic processes, and omg Weather is almost unreadable due to how codependent the characters are (it's 4 hours or I would have ditched it).

luscious fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 3, 2023

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

February

The Maidens - Alex Michealides
Here and Now and Then - Mike Chen
Aristotle: A Very Short Introduction - Jonathan Barnes
The Secret History - Donna Tartt
My Year of Rest and Relaxation - Ottessa Moshfegh

To be honest, I'm a bit burnt out on reading at the moment. I got The Secret History as a 7-day library loan and managed all listen to the entire 25 hours in 7 days. I found Aristotle to be a slog but was pretty into The Maidens and My Year of Rest and Relaxation. FWIW, it's a pretty low bar, as I found MYRR to be meh. This month I started, got half way through, and ditched Book Lovers.

Overall, I think that February was pretty bad luck. Honestly, The Secret History was beautiful but I didn't love the story and kept waiting for it to pick up. It didn't. However, I didn't put it down and I'll take that as a win.

I'm currently reading An Introduction to Elementary Logic and One Last Stop. I have a bunch of library loans that will be delivered to me but also have a bunch of logic books that I have to get through at some point...

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

ectoplasm posted:

I had this same experience. It wasn't thrilling enough to really make me feel any sort of suspense, but at the same time, it kept me intrigued enough to keep going. Was ultimately dissatisfied with the turnout of events as there was absolutely no "secret history" of any sort, but it wasn't a bad book. Kept me entertained. I will say I thought it was hilarious how Henry shot himself in the head TWICE at the end. Absolutely absurd.

I did find the writing really good. I found Bunny so endearing at first. Over time, as intended, I started to hate him. I hadn't expected to feel such a shift in my perception of a fictional character. All in all, I agree with everything that you said. The book kind of reminded me of the feeling of a lazy Sunday: it's slow and good and moving along. I think that the pace contributed to the ultimate burnout that I experienced.

Going forward, I don't think I will attempt anything over 10 hours in a 7-day loan.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

March

The Department of Rare Books and Special Collections 6.5/10
Sea of Tranquility 9/10
Disorientation 7/10
Singer Distance 6/10
Severance 10/10
This is How you Lose the Time War 10/10

This month was so much better than last month. Despite that, I took a break in the middle of the month and didn't listen to anything for a bit and then hopped back on. I picked up Disorientation on a whim and really enjoyed it. Singer Distance was on a list of hits from NPR and fell kinda flat for me.

Two books this week have described male genitalia in ways that have made me raise an eyebrow. One as a sea cucumber and one as "hanging low." I've been trying to work that out ever since. Otherwise I've been enjoying the time travel / alternate timeline reading.

1. 17/52
2. Not Written by Men: 58%
3. Writer of Colour: 29%
4. LGBTQA+: unknown
5. Read something that is not a novel - complete. The very short introduction books are not novels.
6. Borrow something to read - complete. They're all library books.
7. Lend or recommend a book to someone - complete. My father and step-mother just received Klara and the Sun and The Enigma of Reason.
8. Read something over 400 pages The Secret History - 544 p.
9. Read something by an author with the same or similar name as you
10. Read a work in translation
11. Read something that someone you know HATES
12. Read something about books - The Department of Rare Books and Special Collections?
13. Ask the thread for a Wildcard
14. Read a book published the year you turned 13/23 years old

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

April

I don't think that I'm going to finish anything else between now and Monday. By the middle of the month I remember thinking "wow, I've done shockingly little reading this month!" However, I'm in school, work full-time, and am studying logic outside of the reading challenge. So, my reading is split between all of these things.

1. Diary of a Void 8/10
2. An Ocean of Minutes 8/10
3. The Maid 8/10
4. Maid: Hard Work, Low Pay, and a Mothers Will to Survive 4/10
5. Adult Children of Emotionally Immature Parents 6.5/10
6. Stress, Health, & Well-Being: Thriving in the 21st Century 6.5/10
7. Psychology: From Inquiry to Understanding 4/10

Diary of a Void (1) was really sad but so well written. It didn't linger and left a lot unsaid. This was translated from Japanese to English.

An Ocean of Minutes (2) was also so great. At first I thought of it as a time travel book. Then, I read a review that conceptualized it differently. As a book about the immigrant experience and wage slavery. I caught that vibe through the book, obviously, but never conceptualized the whole book that way.

The Maid (3) was so amazing. The audiobook was narrated in a way that brought the character to life so perfectly.

Maid (4) was... not so great. Stephanie Land just... isn't a great writer despite everyone wanting her to be. I know that the point of the book is to tell her story and maybe a better editor could have helped her to do that in a way that made her more sympathetic? I understand the many intersectional aspects to Land's story, but despite this, I never really felt for her. I grew up in domestic violence and lived 37 years as a traumatized person who made... objectively bad decisions. I get that you don't see clearly when you have trauma brain. Still, I could not even begin to understand most of her choices. For example, at one point she discusses finally throwing out baby clothes after realizing that she wasn't going to have a baby with her abusive partner, with whom she can barely afford her current child. Uh. I understand that her choices were limited in SO MANY WAYS and still never really understood what she was choosing over what she wasn't. But. I am not her and don't have to!

The last three were non-fiction and the last two were textbooks. I closed them in April, although I didn't start them in April. Here they are.

Adult Children of Emotionally Immature Parents is an amazing resource. However, I lost steam on it about halfway through. I started it in January and put it down with about 1/4 to go. Then picked it up again and put it down with less than a chapter remaining. I finally powered through while taking apart my bed frame last night. As mentioned above, I grew up in a DV household with parents who were emotionally immature (EI) in wildly different ways. I did 18 months of trauma therapy to heal from all that and it was great! It lay the groundwork for emotional availability (EA) and maturity because I felt safe connecting with people and being around their feelings. This book provided a clear framework for what emotional availability (EA) and emotional unavailability (EUA) are but by the time I read it it wasn't super necessary and I felt that it was kinda repetitive. As a result, it became boring - I already had a bottom-up understanding of what she lay out. That being said, the book is clear and filled in some gaps. It also gave me language for some things instead of just an abstract idea or sense.

Stress, Health, & Well-Being: Thriving in the 21st Century this textbook was pretty good. I did appreciate that Harrington used sophisticated language instead of treating his readers like children (in fairness, undergrads are 18 so...)

Psychology: From Inquiry to Understanding this textbook was ridiculous, long-winded, and did treat its readers like children (again, 18 years old so..) The authors were also really conservative and simply did not discuss any controversies or controversial topics. However, it's used in introductory courses so that was likely a conscious decision.

1. 24/52
2. Not Written by Men: 66%
3. Writer of Colour: 33%
4. LGBTQA+: unknown
5. Read something that is not a novel - complete
6. Borrow something to read - complete
7. Lend or recommend a book to someone - complete.
8. Read something over 400 pages - complete

9. Read something by an author with the same or similar name as you
10. Read a work in translation - complete
11. Read something that someone you know HATES
12. Read something about books - complete
13. Ask the thread for a Wildcard
14. Read a book published the year you turned 13/23 years old

luscious fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 27, 2023

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

The Strangest Finch posted:

Children of Memory | Adrian Tchaikovsky
drat, that was weird. How the hell does Tchaikovsky produce so many books? It seems like he’s reliably putting out 1 or 2 genuinely good novels a year, which is an insane pace.

I have about 30 minutes of this left. I've loved the entire series.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

DurianGray posted:

I would also like to ask the thread for a Wildcard! I don't have one yet.

Are you interested in queer time travel? If so, how about One Last Stop by Casey McQuiston? Maybe true crime and time travel? If so, The Gone World was one of my faves, although I haven’t read it in a few years. These books are opposite ends of the spectrum. If time travel doesn’t interest you at all LMK and I’ll give you something else!

I ALSO need a wildcard!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Ben Nevis posted:

25. Flux by Jinwoo Chong - Sci-fi esque novel. Through three narratives Flux looks at F1, a move fast break things tech company in the battery sector. Through it all runs 1980s gritty detective series "Raider" the first mainstream show of it's type with an Asian lead. There's a lot about representation, tech, family, but most of all grief. I didn't know at all what I was getting into. This was excellent.

Awesome. I have this through Libby but prioritized another book (Tender is the Flesh). I’ll probably go back to it soon.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Hey thread, anyone wanna throw me a wildcard?

I am interested in science fiction, space travel, time travel, aliens, lots of stuff.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Amazing, thanks! I just saw this on a list along with another one of my favorite books of all times (Semiosis) so I'm happy to give it a go.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

May:
Children of Memory - Adrian Tchaikovsky
How High We go in the Dark - Sequoia Nagamatsu
ʔbédayine - Kaitlyn Purcell
Tweak - Nic Sheff

Early-May I got some bad news about my dog's health and it shut everything down for me. I returned every book I was reading to the library and couldn't finish anything I borrowed for weeks. it sucked. At that point, I had read Children of Memory, which was good, but not nearly as good as the previous two books in the series. I managed to get through How High We Go in the Dark. I think that I would have enjoyed it more if I read it, instead of listened to it in audiobook form (which I almost never say). ʔbédayine is a collection of poetry. I really connected with it. I borrowed Tweak after watching Beautiful Boy and wanting to know Nic's story. It was interesting, but I'm going to be real and say that I find most addict memoirs to be different flavors of the dish.

I'm currently listening to Hyperion, The Memory Police, and Less.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Heavy Metal posted:

Sorry to hear.

Thank you. It's awful but it's really put a lot of stuff into perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

June

Solaris
Less
The Impossible Us
The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down

Currently listening to The Marriage Act, Less is Lost, and The Collected Regrets of Clover.