Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Eeevil posted:

The origin of that quote was a fictional longwinded blowhard. It was a sentiment Shakespeare was mocking.

The actual joke was that Polonius was a twit who didn't follow his own advice. The maxim is still valid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The actual joke was that Polonius was a twit who didn't follow his own advice. The maxim is still valid.

If brevity was the soul of wit then things without brevity wouldn't have wit, which is observably untrue. The "maxim" has remained relevant because of its similarity to an actual true thing, which is that the essence of comedy is timing.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Eeevil posted:

If brevity was the soul of wit then things without brevity wouldn't have wit, which is observably untrue. The "maxim" has remained relevant because of its similarity to an actual true thing, which is that the essence of comedy is timing.

That isn’t even a little bit how logic works.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

That isn’t even a little bit how logic works.

what do you think it means for something to be "the soul" of something else? i would assume that it means the first thing is vital to the second but it sounds like you disagree?

edit: I see the statement "brevity is the soul of wit" as being functionally identical to the statement "there is no wit without brevity." If that interpretation is correct, the statement is as easy to disprove as "all cats are at least 50 feet tall;" one counterexample immediately disproves it. If that interpretation is incorrect, I admit that leaves a lot of potential holes in my logic.

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 3, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Eeevil posted:

what do you think it means for something to be "the soul" of something else? i would assume that it means the first thing is vital to the second but it sounds like you disagree?

edit: I see the statement "brevity is the soul of wit" as being functionally identical to the statement "there is no wit without brevity." If that interpretation is correct, the statement is as easy to disprove as "all cats are at least 50 feet tall;" one counterexample immediately disproves it. If that interpretation is incorrect, I admit that leaves a lot of potential holes in my logic.

Do you hold all aphorisms to literalist interpretation. Like only Brits can be penny wise and pound foolish.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

Do you hold all aphorisms to literalist interpretation. Like only Brits can be penny wise and pound foolish.

yes

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Page two and we already have a dumb derail. Welcome back, Politoon thread.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Eeevil posted:

deer god

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

I guess I'm the rear end in a top hat for thinking something that was made up to be wrong, is wrong. drat, my bad. While I'm at it, I also think that one definition of insanity quote that everyone loves is insanely dumb.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Pants Donkey posted:

Start your year off badly with Ben

Millions, you say?

I'm not surprised that Ben keeps on banging about how millions of people have died from the vaccine. It's one of those claims that is delightfully unfalsifiable, if you take as a given any facts that run counter to the narrative are just a conspiracy by big pharma. I'm just surprised that Ben hasn't taken the obvious next step and started shilling magic cure all water, like Hapajap.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Al Goodwyn

Andy Marlette

Chris Britt

Gary Markstein

Gary Varvel

John Deering

Marshall Ramsey

Steve Benson

Steve Breen

Tom Stiglich

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Lmao I immediately started searching for a newspaper that simply said "WOKE" on it and sure enough, there it was!

Man is obsessed

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

COVID 'back' lmao

Weird how every year we have these newspaper headlines about how migrants are taking over the country and yet here we are

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

Is there a "worst concern trolling" category?

e: Kellies nomination worst concern trolling

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 3, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Dying for Biden's cobalt profits

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
What the gently caress is that Three Kings one :psyduck:

Here's to another year of being completely baffled by images from across the ocean!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Kikas posted:

What the gently caress is that Three Kings one :psyduck:

Here's to another year of being completely baffled by images from across the ocean!

Musk fired anyone who knew what they were doing, it's the time of year when every hack is doing a "three wise men" toon, voila!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yes, be sure to say “Kellies nomination” so I can find it. Including the author of the cartoon or t the date it was posted also saves me a ton of time.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Jerry Nadler is fat and he smells.
—Cutting Commentary from a Political Cartoonist

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

Man if he’s upset about that wait till he finds out how our entire capitalist system is setup!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Discendo Vox posted:

(also if no single person is contributing as much they're less likely to be targeted next)

sorry, hang on, are you implying that the mere act of posting cartoons to the political cartoons thread in a dead gay forum is getting people harrassed for some reason

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

So glad Allie is posting about national politics again.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

e: Kellies nomination worst concern trolling

For real.

"Okay great let's ban child labor and sweatshops then"
*cue conservative screeching about job creators*

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Garrison posted:

Bill is for anyone who pushes mass jabs, injections, punctures, pokes, vaccines, and inoculations into humanity. He talks as if he’s an expert on the subject despite the fact he’s a college dropout. He possesses no medical degree or expertise. He’s certainly not a virologist.

Ben. Ben, you don't listen to the virologists and doctors.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Skios posted:

Gary Varvel

Kellies Nomination: Worst A Thing Happened

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Pants Donkey posted:

It really is the 80's satanic panic all over again. "The evil homosexuals cabals are coming for your kids!!!" This kind of thing has been circulating among the alt right for nearly a decade, but it really has become much more of a mainstream talking point in the last 6 months. I think 30 years ago it burned itself out after people got tired of hearing about innocent people being jailed over transparently bullshit allegations with zero evidence. Of course, this was before the rise of Fox news and the self contained right wing media ecosystem. Who knows if and when it will end this time.

Let me just go ahead and

Kellies Nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry in a Cartoon (LGBT+)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Even now there’s overt Satanic Panic. A few years back they were talking about how the drag queens looked demonic.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

VitalSigns posted:

For real.

"Okay great let's ban child labor and sweatshops then"
*cue conservative screeching about job creators*
“Nonono! What we need to do is legalize good old American child labor and sweatshops!”

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ella Baron on headaches for Britain in 2023 – A sea of troubles loom for Britannia as the new year begins"

Telegraph:

Rail strikes set to push return to work back by a week

Times:

Health chiefs clash over warning that delays are killing 500 a week

Evening Standard:

David Squires:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Angepain posted:

sorry, hang on, are you implying that the mere act of posting cartoons to the political cartoons thread in a dead gay forum is getting people harrassed for some reason

Hang on you just gave me an idea of how we can escape this hell and never see another political cartoon in here again

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

Hang on you just gave me an idea of how we can escape this hell and never see another political cartoon in here again

It seems a bit early to activate the doomsday device.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

VitalSigns posted:

i'm sure the crime of just posting discussions in this thread is just as serious and damaging. we're all surely culpable and deserving of wrath

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Angepain posted:

In brief, yeah, that appeared to have been the motivating factor.

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably

Discendo Vox posted:

What in tarnation

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

Opposition slams “panicked” new China Covid testing rules (news.com.au). "Opposition leader Peter Dutton has called on the government to explain its new travel rules, as China lashes out at restrictions." The "decide who comes into our country" is a quote from John Howard, shown in the background.

Le Lievre:

Broelman:

Four dead after two helicopters collide near Sea World on the Gold Coast (ABC).

Downes:

Spooner:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

China Daily

War machine by Cai Meng

Le Monde

by Urbs from France
Stay postive!
"Happy Last Year!"

Charlie Hebdo

Back to school during the Crisis
"Kevin is absent?"
"His parents ate him during Christmas."

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Pants Donkey posted:

Allie on Prickly City: "Can't we all just get along?? Have compassion? Accept people even if they're different or believe different things and find the common ground we all share as human beings? If only we could stop being divided by politics! Let's not fight! We can all just enjoy this world together! Just be level headed, reasonable, and stop writing off everyone you disagree with as inhuman!"

Allie literally the same day elsewhere: "All lgbt people are disgusting pedophiles"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

tbf Prickly City is 99% Stantis writing and copy/pasting Allie's art. To his credit Stantis has not hopped on board the groomer train, not yet at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Discendo Vox posted:

That is incredibly hosed up.

I'll take a couple, if we're splitting them up.