Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

J.A.B.C. posted:

' It's literally 'Free Speech is bad, actually' written in bold.

Yes?
Not everyone believes free speech is inherently positive. Even in America we sort of hand have away the fact we don't either. (Fire in a crowded room, soliciting crimes, etc etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

What are those brown things ('Afghanistan' etc.) supposed to be?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Clubs, I'd guess. Not only does the metaphor suck, it's not even applied consistently. That part at least could be fixed by labelling the donkey's club 'Jan 6th'.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

J.A.B.C. posted:

I get that China Daily's whole thing is that the U.S. is the great enemy keeping noble China from benevolently ruling the world, but come on. 'America talks about the importance of a free press because America is puppeting America, to serve evil American Imperialist interests.' It's literally 'Free Speech is bad, actually' written in bold.

I mean, I'm no symbologist, but it could be that they consider Uncle Sam and Lady Liberty to be two separate symbols, one representing the US and the other representing something else.

"American 'freedom' is a fake idea" is not exactly a complex take.

E:

Skios posted:

Clubs, I'd guess. Not only does the metaphor suck, it's not even applied consistently. That part at least could be fixed by labelling the donkey's club 'Jan 6th'.

You're overestimating Goodwyn; he thinks those are good clubs that will be used to pummel hale and hearty horses who deserve it, and is also poo poo at metaphors.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
No no no, really it ought to be a crate full of dead horses instead of clubs, and the crate shouldn't be labelled "118th congress", that should be on a club being held by the elephant. Also the clubs should be floggers, and the cartoon should be in the bin

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Y'know, as much as people dislike the post-apoc cartoons, this one is a perfect representation of the problems with not only the capitalist system, but with the issues with overcoming it. There's a perfectly obvious solution (kill and possibly eat Kromm before dividing his wealth amongst the destitute) but people are too busy trying to curry favor with him rather than just overthrowing him.

Rise up and seize the means of pillaging! All raiders are equal!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
cannibalize the cannibals

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I mean, I'm no symbologist, but it could be that they consider Uncle Sam and Lady Liberty to be two separate symbols, one representing the US and the other representing something else.

"American 'freedom' is a fake idea" is not exactly a complex take.
Yeah the cartoon seems pretty straightforward. Lady Liberty ostensibly has free speech, but in reality is puppeted by the US Government (as Uncle Sam) and can only say what they want her to say.

Which isn't that controversial. We supposedly have a free press with free speech, yet in say the Iraq War they just acted as stenographers for the state department's manufactured casus belli.

Even under Trump they held back vital information from the public in order to preserve their official access or save material for a book etc.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

J.A.B.C. posted:

I get that China Daily's whole thing is that the U.S. is the great enemy keeping noble China from benevolently ruling the world, but come on. 'America talks about the importance of a free press because America is puppeting America, to serve evil American Imperialist interests.' It's literally 'Free Speech is bad, actually' written in bold.

You could improve this by using stand-ins for Taiwan, South Korea and Japan, at least making the point that U.S. interest in those counties is just puppeteering them against their true ally, but this is just lazy as well as being bad.

China Daily propaganda routinely pursues the position that democratic elections and free speech are bad and/or futile. This position, which isn't very persuasive except to the most brain-poisoned of the online American audiences, is a necessity for the authors because of a combination of the following: a) they believe it and can't understand how such claims get perceived by their target audiences, b) they will face consequences if they use intermediate or more subtle claims that even pay lip service to the notions of democracy or civil liberties, and, critically, c) they believe they may face consequences for taking such positions. Crucially, all three of these factors apply to the cartoonists, and their supervisors, and everyone else up the chain.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

idonotlikepeas posted:

All the chickens come on home to roost
Plump bodies blotting out the sky
You know it breaks my heart in half, in half
When I see them trying to fly

But you just can't do
Things your body party wasn't meant to

e:

Personally the only time in my 20 years that an order ever came down on the newsroom was when some trumpheaded little poo poo inherited his daddy's paper and didn't want the then-candidate to receive negative coverage. I quit immediately after.

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 5, 2023

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Rishi Sunak’s plan for extra maths lessons – The prime minister used his first speech of 2023 to announce plans for all pupils in England to study maths up to the age of 18"

Telegraph:

Matt:

:sun: Alpine ski holidays at risk as 20C temperatures mean there’s no snow :supaburn:

Independent:

Times:

Shortage of maths teachers threatens Rishi Sunak’s plan for lessons until 18

Evening Standard:

Prince Harry’s ‘Spare’: From cocaine, to Afghan killings, to William ‘attacking him’ - all the revelations

Stephen Collins:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Branco is the only political cartoonist stupid enough to support Santos because of course he is. Even other right wing cartoonists are dunking on him, or pretending he doesn't exist.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Honestly, I considered giving him a Kellies Nomination: Worst Overall just for that.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Rowe:

Leak, Son of Leak:

NSW woman repatriated from Syria charged with allegedly entering Islamic State territory (Guardian). Note she is charged with entering Syria in 2014 to be with her husband, not for anything after she was repatriated back to Australia.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

It's perfectly acceptable to lie about your entire life story if your enemies also occasionally lie about details of theirs!

Really though, even for this idiot it's weird to see him go to bat for Santos when the Republican Party has clearly made the correct move of either turning on him or shutting the gently caress up about it entirely.

Edit:

Twelve by Pies posted:

Branco is the only political cartoonist stupid enough to support Santos because of course he is. Even other right wing cartoonists are dunking on him, or pretending he doesn't exist.
And I just scrolled right past this post. What you said.

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 5, 2023

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably
Sometimes Branco makes something so gloriously stupid I just have to sit and bask in it for a bit. He's one of my favorite horrible shithead idiots right wing cartoonists just for that.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Ah yes, "Afghanistan". There's an issue where the GOP can freely dunk on Dems, seeing as the GOP has totally clean hands there, yep. If only the Dems, and Dems alone, hadn't dragged the country into a pointless war on Afghanistan!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
I think the lesson of Santos is that if you want to have a political career you better stick to lying about unimportant poo poo no one cares about like weapons of mass destruction in oil-rich countries, illegal domestic surveillance programs, whether an aid worker you slagged along with his kids is a terrorist, etc and always tell the truth about the real consequential stuff like where you went to school

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mr. Belpit posted:

Ah yes, "Afghanistan". There's an issue where the GOP can freely dunk on Dems, seeing as the GOP has totally clean hands there, yep. If only the Dems, and Dems alone, hadn't dragged the country into a pointless war on Afghanistan!

Biden's crime was in withdrawing from Afghanistan, not in going there.

Obviously 'covid origin' is another issue that GOP will be able to use against Biden.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Nenonen posted:

Biden's crime was in withdrawing from Afghanistan, not in going there.

Obviously 'covid origin' is another issue that GOP will be able to use against Biden.

Biden left because of a settlement negotiated by Trump and Pompeo that released thousands of Taliban fighters for 'we promise not to shoot you, for realsies' that they broke as soon as it was convenient for them.

And the whole 'COVID Origin' thing is going back to demonizing Fauci for the gall to tell people to take basic health safety precautions. Because he was the one supporting Gain of Function research at the Chinese Biolab where it was made, after all.

Every one of the 'issues' the GOP wants to use on the dems are fake and inflated, ultimately harmless.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com

Skios posted:

Ton Stiglich

Stiglich (whose previous cartoons have revealed him to be a disgusting pro-KKK piece of poo poo) is advocating that pro-Trumpers and never-Trumpers join up, when they are diametrically opposed to each other by definition.

Maybe he thinks they can find common ground in hating minorities, or something.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yes, correct.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

So, Democrats hold hearings on actual issues while the GOP wastes time. A truthful cartoon.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Also it's inadvertently suggesting Democrats have a lot of issues they talk about while Republicans focus solely on the laptop.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Yet another great skulldonkey candidate, first of the year.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Democrats hold hearings on important issues while Republicans hold hearings in irrelevant witch hunts. AGC.

Also, since he repeated the exact same pose 7 times...Kellies Nomination: Laziest Non-Gorell

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Work Remotely As a Cop

Ted Rall posted:

Police departments are having trouble recruiting new members. Many unemployed people prefer to work from home. Now there’s a solution: work as a cop, from home!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this describes me at work now, for the police. Except I don't even wear the top uniform part.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I shall forget you presently, my dear,
So make the most of this, your little day,
Your little month, your little half a year
Ere I forget, or die, or move away,
And we are done forever; by and by
I shall forget you, as I said, but now,
If you entreat me with your loveliest lie
I will protest you with my favorite vow.
I would indeed that love were longer-lived,
And vows were not so brittle as they are,
But so it is, and nature has contrived
To struggle on without a break thus far,—
Whether or not we find what we are seeking
Is idle, biologically speaking.

Clay Bennett

Marty Two Bulls

Lisa Benson

Steve Kelley

John Deering

Matt Davies

KAL

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Really weird to see someone trying on the "me thinkum firewater paleface" level of racism against natives. The people who joke like that really do just see them in broad caricature and it's always obvious.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Al Goodwyn

Chip Bok

Gary Varvel

John Deering

Michael Ramirez

Steve Breen

Skios fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jan 6, 2023

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

My gaze lingered on the pic, thinking about how far SKelly and Payne can push their beak creatures before the reader has no idea these are meant to be human faces... when I noticed the feet on the couch. What the gently caress is up with that.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Xander77 posted:

My gaze lingered on the pic, thinking about how far SKelly and Payne can push their beak creatures before the reader has no idea these are meant to be human faces... when I noticed the feet on the couch. What the gently caress is up with that.

I think the man is supposed to be laying down on the couch, but SKelley obviously cannot do perspective.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I wonder if SKelley's creative process involves watching the news all day, shouting humorous remarks at the TV, and then recreating the moment in cartoon form and adding a wife.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
That Jorp cartoon is rich, especially after listening to this week's behind the bastards on his dumbass tv show.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Dr Jorp, this is the board of psycologists: please stop tweeting.

Jorp: This is 1983!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Wait, that comic was being in favor of J. Sweaty Peterson? I thought it was him being petulant child in face of criticism.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mordaedil posted:

Wait, that comic was being in favor of J. Sweaty Peterson? I thought it was him being petulant child in face of criticism.

Yes. The board is speaking 'psycobabble' (reeducation camp is the key one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

What kind of animals are those supposed to be? Some long eared pigs?