Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

By popular demand posted:

Skios posted:

Gary Varvel

Israel is merely a tool in the hands of the people who actually run the world, those who create and destroy militant uprisings at a whim.
A deeply paranoid cartoon.
Israel is determined to remove Hamas and is not at all concerned about the massive trail of blood it leaves behind. Our sources cannot confidently state at this time where the copious amounts of blood came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

I'm trying to comprehend the geometry of that room and I am ending up like that Calvin and Hobbes strip where he loses all perspective

I know it was years ago now so I don't know if anyone will have it to hand or even remember what the subject of the comic was (I fell out of the thread until fairly recently) but Ted Rall once managed to gently caress up the perspective on an almost top-down view of a desk. Never be surprised at Ted Rall being unable to draw.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

skeleton warrior posted:

I don't know enough about British politics to have any position on the substance and meaning of this cartoon, but I absolutely want to point out how good and clever the design of the delivery box representing Keir Starmer is. The forward flap representing his forward cut hair, the amazon arrow being used for his ear, it's just a solid and well done image.

So many cartoons are just stupid and lovely about art, I want to at least praise the people who are attempting to do something with the medium.

I mean he's also the most useless possible representative of a party that exists to be full of words that don't really amount to anything. So it's a really good comparison. It might actually be insulting to cardboard to claim that Starmer has that much personality or might ever stand for anything. He exists to give directionless centrist Chat-GPT-rear end speeches about bring reasonable and compromising with a responsible sensible approach.

He's also likely going to be our next Prime Minister entirely by virture of being Not The Other Bastards.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

...You know, I kind of get the message they think they're going with here, but I also love the incredible levels of stupidity it takes to draw an actual ruling monarch, on their golden throne and in all their regalia, as being somehow under arrest. And then instead of a ball and chain, have the thing he's shackled to be literally the Crown. Sure maybe somebody sufficiently stupid can believe he doesn't want to go along with these decisions, and it's out of his control, but sitting in the big chair means being the figurehead for the nation, announcing whatever dimwitted self-destructive things the nation is told it wants to do by its feckless ruling classes.

But he can just stop, he can get rid of the crown. If he can't bear being associated with such things, he could abdicate and go live a reclusive and strange life somewhere else. He could have the thing broken down and sold for scrap or have its most famously stolen gems returned with much fanfare to the places they came from, if he wanted to try and make a statement about things. Or he could, and I'm not saying he should, just gently caress off and die, and then it definitely wouldn't be his problem anymore.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

It's also the easiest possible edit. I expect it will take most people less time to fix that cartoon than it takes me to write this post.

This, however... I'm sure Lester thinks this is insightful commentary, but seriously come on. You can't see the events being reported by media in and around Gaza, or the statements by MSF and other humanitarian groups, and come to whatever the hell this conclusion is. I know hoping is too much to ask but I wish these people would ever actually see themselves for what they are.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

The best part about being cancelled is that everybody has to hear about how cancelled you are.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

I'm still having fun posting Sinfest, so unless there is a significant thread consensus or administrative fiat, I'm probably going to keep posting it, yeah.

I remember this happening with an atrocious right wing webcomic years ago, which was the author's extremely cool womanising self-insert, two or three indistinguishable women, and a token black mouthpeice for making racist points with. I forget what it was called but it was insanely racist and eventually people insisted we stop posting about it even in passing because it was just too trash to be funny.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Clerical Terrors posted:

Tbh if there's a single comic I'd argue should be dropped from the thread it's Prickly City. It's been absolutely nothing for a long while now, you could probably train an AI to produce them and people would barely notice or care.

I stopped following the thread I think at some point pre-covid, just for the good of my sanity, and neither that nor the duck comic seem to have changed, at all. They're all exactly the same as they ever were. Unless it's referencing something specific I couldn't tell you if a given strip was from this year or last year or 2017.
I wonder if Stantis knows that. I wonder if the people publishing these comics know that.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

No, not generally, but while you have an incarceration machine/industry like the US does, and you treat the populace so poorly and keep them in such awful conditions, it's not surprising when people turn to violent behaviours, be it out of insecurity, dominance, abuse, self-defence, mental health issues, lack of self control, or whatever else. Put people in bad conditions, you can't be surprised when things go badly.

Then when your system just lets that happen and assumes the people inside it deserve whatever happens to them, you're going to have this kind of thing occur and reoccur and go unchecked to the point where people just consider the violence part of the status quo because that's how little your system cares. So this stuff is going to happen and keep happening, and the system is going to continue to not care.

And then you put a cop in that environment you've happily let fester as a side-effect of your prison system, which is already a recipe for some potential uproar. But not only is this guy a corrupt cop among people who are fundamentally mistreated and for various reasons primed to hate cops, he's a cop infamous for being found guilty of killing somebody which is not a thing that happens to cops in America.

So you've got an environment prone to violence and you've inserted someone who is a walking symbol of law enforcement's propensity for violence and injustice. You've put a whole other level of heat under the pot, you can't be surprised when it boils over. So the most hateable guy in the prison ends up getting stabbed, as a consequence of the conditions caused by the painful lack of humanity in a system that he has been a direct and functional component of.

Reminder, this is a system that he has only become subject to because he so egregiously and unjustifiably killed someone that even being a serving US police officer couldn't get him out of being convicted. You can be forgiven for being completely unable to find any sympathy for this guy.

Also, more to the point of political cartoons: Everybody knew something was going to happen, because of everything written above it was obviously going to happen, you'd think it wouldn't be a shock, and then when something actually happens suddenly people are surprised, people like Branco and other right-wing mouthpieces suddenly care about violence in prisons now. loving really?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Skios posted:

Gary Varvel

Oh yes my favourite book to be read as a child, "GENDER QUEER".

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Oh, wow, okay, I legitimately though that was just a political cartoon label. Forgive me for thinking they were being lazily hateful and stupid rather than specifically hateful and stupid.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Oh gently caress all the way off forever Mac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Are NYE cartoons ever anything but the old man saying to the baby "next year will be worse"?
Granted in this case it's probably true but are there any different takes on it?

E: I don't remember the history of how this trope came about in the first place

Genuinely wondering myself, I get the basic idea is "out with the old year, in with the new one", and it's an easy enough joke to make the old year crabby and fatigued and decrepit while the new year is a tiny, naive, wide-eyed infant. But it feels like these cartoons tend to be about as negative and pessimistic as the jaded posters in this thread, and nobody ever makes an inspired, uplifting "This will be my year" version of this cartoon to ring the new year in.

Yes, I have seen the state of the world. Yes, I know, always more, always worse, and so on. I understand why it's all bad. But I wonder if it has always been this cynical, or was it originally supposed to be fun and at some point it got twisted into this?