Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Main Street America?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

This whole "the gays are all over media, it's being shoved down our throats, every show has at least a trans on it now" talking point is exhausting. Like it's blatantly not true, to the point where you'd think it's an attempt at gaslighting, but then the people saying it legitimately have an apocalypse-is-nigh meltdown if two dudes are shown walking down the aisle for like 2 seconds in a suit outlet commercial, so you're never quite sure how to react.

I had a different version of this with a friend, when he was playing Outer Worlds and noticed how 50% of enemy NPCs appeared to be female. This somehow bothered him, but he couldn't quite put his finger on why. For context: he was talking about about the kind of NPC mooks that wear armor and otherwise just exist to be shot at, there's no further interaction with them, their gender or presentation does not matter at all and the only way he could tell was by slight differences in body frame and voice. But the fact that he was suddenly exposed to more women than he was used to was enough to throw him off.

Eventually the only real response I managed to get out of him was some mumbling about how "it really shows you how things have changed, I guess" and that was that.

Just the fact of having to see a historically marginalized group be slightly more represented and included is apparently enough to throw some people off, enough of a disruption of the status quo that it makes them uncomfortable, even if they can't fully articulate why.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Didn't Trump balloon the defecit and basically wipe out US economic recovery during the covid pandemic?

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Fister Roboto posted:

It's so loving cool that it takes two people to do this, and they both get paid for it.

Tbh if there's a single comic I'd argue should be dropped from the thread it's Prickly City. It's been absolutely nothing for a long while now, you could probably train an AI to produce them and people would barely notice or care.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Weird tangent but am I crazy or does it feel like Tats' art is getting more...stiff? A lot of it is vertical lines, with characters either centered within frame or slightly offset, in either profile, back, or front shots. Compared to his earlier stuff it feels like there's less and less movement even from frame-to-frame, and the compositions are boring and static even when they deviate from just having your big important character in the middle of the frame.

Like they could just be illustrations accompanying some walls of text explaining what's going on and you'd be forgiven for not knowing Ishida used to draw comics.

Clerical Terrors fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 25, 2023

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

"Why are you not disincentivizing me?" I shout, being cuffed and taken away after standing outside Ted Rall's home for 8 hours shouting "gently caress you Ted".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Ted Rall's "Maybe the revolution will happen this time" arc.