Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Pants Donkey posted:

Start your year off badly with Ben

Millions, you say?

I'm not surprised that Ben keeps on banging about how millions of people have died from the vaccine. It's one of those claims that is delightfully unfalsifiable, if you take as a given any facts that run counter to the narrative are just a conspiracy by big pharma. I'm just surprised that Ben hasn't taken the obvious next step and started shilling magic cure all water, like Hapajap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Pants Donkey posted:

So glad Allie is posting about national politics again.

It really is the 80's satanic panic all over again. "The evil homosexuals cabals are coming for your kids!!!" This kind of thing has been circulating among the alt right for nearly a decade, but it really has become much more of a mainstream talking point in the last 6 months. I think 30 years ago it burned itself out after people got tired of hearing about innocent people being jailed over transparently bullshit allegations with zero evidence. Of course, this was before the rise of Fox news and the self contained right wing media ecosystem. Who knows if and when it will end this time.

Let me just go ahead and

Kellies Nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry in a Cartoon (LGBT+)

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Epic High Five posted:

His weird turn toward conservative Christianity as cure for all social ills really feels undermined by the simultaneous insistence that God is a malicious clown.

I wonder if Ishida is one of the people who doesn't believe in Christianity, but considers it foundational to western society. Consequently he believes it's important to maintain it, particularly it's dogma, as a noble lie for the masses. It seems to be popular position with a certain subset of online nazi.

On the other hand, the comic is so hopelessly muddled, it's nearly impossible to determine what Ishida is specifically trying to say. Also the comic has decades of build up visual vocabulary and metaphor that he keeps using even though it refers to positions that he no longer holds. So ultimately, who knows?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Kellies nomination: Worst Caricature

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

cant cook creole bream posted:

What's this about? If I had to guess, it's that the excessive amount of plastic pollution in the ocean is worse for the fish than the overfishing. But that's a surprising stance for the China Daily.

I do like the nonsensical image of an anglerfish attracting it's prey with a hook.

I think it's just there is to much plastic pollution in the oceans, period. The rest of the imagery is intended to be striking and look cool, not convey additional meaning.

Skios posted:

Guess who's still alive...

It honestly boggles the mind how he could have spent 50 years as a professional cartoonist without his drawing ability ever progressing beyond the grade school level.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 18, 2023

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Is this woman an established character, or someone new? I can never tell since every women in sinfest looks identical other than the haircut.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

skeleton warrior posted:

That’s literally it. It’s Mike Lester, who sees homophobia as good and righteous, and believes that there is a woke elite leftist cabal of media and corporate executives trying to brainwash good Americans into being ashamed of being white and with lies that minorities are actually good people

And so this elite media-rich-team-owner cabal - the “they” he speaks of - decided to force gayness down the throat of good Americans because said cabal. And the reason the NHL had pride week instead of the NFL or NBA? Well, if a black person were rightfully critical of gay people, the the cabal would have to confront the dichotomy of a black person being non-woke, and that would literally make their brains explode! So they chose the NHL instead, knowing that when good honest Christians opposed celebration of sodomy, those people could be written off as “of course they’re non-woke and awful, they’re white” like the media-corporate executive cabal wants you to believe

Edit: Lester loves saying ":actually: racism and homophobia are good and normal brain ways of thinking about people" and having minority characters say those things to prove that it's a common normal belief and not racist at all. Like, when Atlanta had that huge controversy about the Braves moving the stadium out of the city because rich white suburbanites didn't want to go near those people to see their games, Lester wrote a bunch of cartoons with black people saying "yes, moving the stadium to be away from [dogwhistle]AlL tHe CrImE[/dogwhistle] is smart and good but ThEy ReFuSe To ExPlAiN iT tHaT wAy and pretend it's RACIST"

Edit edit: jesus, I could like, know physics or how to play the guitar or something useful and honest and good but no, instead I've got brain space cataloguing the specific flavors of racism differentiating Lester from Stiglich and Varvel, three names no decent person even knows

I think this is the correct interpretation. It's hard to understand for someone without terminal brain poisoning, but Lester's readers get the message loud and clear. This because Lester presupposes his readers already believe that there is a cabal of :airquote:media controlling globalists:airquote: with direct control over all sports and committed to the destruction of the white race.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

ZeeToo posted:

My 'favorite' crazies are the ones who told us that everyone who got vaccinated would be dead by the end of 2022 and, when people didn't die from the vaccine, they just acted like it was true anyway and didn't question it.

Plot twist. We're all dead and in hell. Rod Sterling enters the scene from stage left.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Nenonen posted:

Is "pregnancy center" a specific pro life thing? Huh, makes a little bit more sense now.

Yes "pregnancy centers" are fake women health centers. Real planned parenthoods, and similar providers, offer a huge number of obgyn health services and counseling of which abortion is only one. Pregnancy centers whole MO is it trick pregnant women into coming into the door and then use a mix of misinformation and bulling to convince them not to get an abortion. They have no actual medical staff, and even if you want to carry a pregnancy to term they have nothing useful to offer you. The idea that they need state funding for some reason is supreme bullshit.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Cross the line from homage to straight up stealing materiel. Stantis has a found a new way to be lazy. I look forward to tomorrows strip about how much Carmen loves lasagna and hates Mondays.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Korthal posted:

Just FYI, the hyper liberal marxists over at DirecTV replaced the Newsmax with a network that's run by known card carrying communist Bill O'Riley. Source: I checked it on my parent's DirecTV.

The reason they did this was because their contract had expired, and during the renegotiation Newsmax demanded new licensing fees. Direct TV has said they would have kept Newsmax on if Newsmax had agreed to maintain the present arrangement. Clearly this is censorship right out of 1984.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Twelve by Pies posted:

I also enjoyed "Ukraine shouldn't provoke Russia because they are smaller and weaker than Russia, also Russia is scared of them and had to invade to keep Russia safe."

Also the often pointed out insanely stupid logic of "Russia couldn't risk having Ukraine join NATO because then they would be bordering a NATO state! So even though (as Rall even admits!) Ukraine probably would have been denied entry into NATO, Russia has to conquer Ukraine just to be safe (and which will cause them to border four times as many NATO states)."

I love that the smoking gun that Ukraine was out to get Russia is Zelensky has repeatedly said he wanted to join NATO since coming to office in 2019. Weird that he would want foreign militaries guaranteeing his country sovereignty after Russia invaded and seized large chunks of the nation in 2014, and was at that point still actively attempt to seize more territory through separatist proxies in the east.

Putin keeps comparing himself Peter the Great and talking about restoring the glory of imperialist Russia. Hell, even most republicans have the shame to say they don't support Putin they just don't want to spend the money. Rall is straight up endorsing imperialism and warcrimes.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Vib Rib posted:

Further, why would you pick this scene and these characters?

Good Will Hunting, Oops I did it Again, and Peewee's Big Adventure

Even more so then usual, Tat's comics this week are just a nonsensical grab bag of pop culture references with no rhyme or reason. That is, no rhyme or reason beyond being 2-3 decades out of date. In this way he does resemble the newspaper published comics he so desperately wants to be.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Skios posted:

Chip Bok

Chip feels very strongly that the umpa loompas should be enslaved pygmy's.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 28, 2023

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Blind Duke posted:

I think the clash between chiding youthes for having kids they cannot afford vs the youthes not having enough kids is mostly a function of assuming the chiding is advise for the youthes to follow. Our economy and society depends not just on having a certain birth rate but having an underclass of financially struggling people. Any system of morality or empathy will seek to ease the suffering of the financially struggling underclass, which would diminish the power and profits of those who profit from them existing. Folks in power can keep folks from empathizing with these parents by blaming their individual situation and keep attention away from the system as a whole. It’s not a contradiction, it’s the “advise” existing not to help the parents but to make others not care for the struggle they do to support society.

Similarly they don't actually want immigration to stop, they recognize that the economic value. Instead, they want to demonize immigrants and official channels of immigration. They want immigration to remain entirely in the shadows so that immigrants remain as vulnerable as possible to economic exploitation.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Confusingly, periodically Tinsley will do a cartoon. At least, that happened for a while, I haven't been paying close enough attention to know if the two of them are still trading off.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Guavanaut posted:

Also there's a holographic matrix universe filter that can let you become anything you want, you can even become Death itself, but all trans women opt to become either 'Branco draws a trans woman', 'Mac draws a gay man 20 years ago', or 'literal occult monster'.

Like I get passing privilege and the unhealthy level of beauty standards in society but that's absolutely not what Tats is going for, he's created a world where all people could socially transition to whatever they want and then draws every trans character like that because his brain is a broken blob of hate.

It's because he doesn't believe transgender people are real. Every transwomen in his strips are linebackers with full beards wearing a dress who's only goal is to penetrate female spaces for nefarious sexual purposes. It's why character immediately asks where the real women are. They are all very open about the fact that they are predatory men who have found a way commit crimes. Tat's won't even entertain the idea that people might have beliefs different then the ones he ascribes to them.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
I can't wait for the new and improved Dilbert Adult Cartoon Party. Now with swear words, nipples, and endless one note gay jokes.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Pants Donkey posted:

The insurrectionists taking photos with cops is uh, not the slam dunk you think it is, Branco.

Chud legal theory: If the cops do it, it's by definition not illegal.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

As much as I hate it when Prickly City is just spinning it's wheels to get a paycheck, I think I hate it even more when it tries to be Calvin and Hobbes.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

After The War posted:

How often does Rall pull "the real problem is X isn't as cool as I imagine they used to be" line?

It's a common through line, but usually it isn't quite this blatant. This is only the second time him I can think of him just saying it outright.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake people still believe that?

The conservative world view included seeing profound, hidden danger in the most innocuous of things. It's a way of justifying bigotry, because they just know "those people" are really out to get them. Like that Wyatt Mann Cartoon, "Around Black, Never Relax."

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

...What?

To the extent this says literally anything except 'A Thing Happened', I have a hard time reading this as anything but Russian propaganda.

The Russian pilot attempted to down the drone by dumping fuel on it (but ended up clipping it). The effeminate woke US military is mad at the Russians for dumping fuel in the ocean not for attacking their equipment.

It is Bok, who is a far right dumbass. Given the current trajectory of the MAGA crowd, he'll likely start making strong manly Putin propaganda in an other month or two.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 16, 2023

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Skios posted:

Michael Ramirez

Trump rolled the regulations back you rear end in a top hat. In 2018 he changed the asset threshold at which the regulations apply from >50 billion to greater than >250 billion. Both Signature (110 billion) and SVB (209 billion) would still have been covered by the original threshold.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Now that that one particular handmaiden is "good", is Tats going to stop drawing her with a blown pupil and single snaggle tooth? I guess the physical scars you get from disagreeing with the author can never heal.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Brawnfire posted:

Is that Frederick loving Douglass putting a reassuring hand on trump's shoulder?

Where do I go to die instantly?

Harriot Tubman praying for Trump. :tizzy:

Holy poo poo! Die in a fire, McNaughton!

I dont know fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 1, 2023

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I hate how good at humor this monster can be. It's a solid visual joke.

Trump turning the prison yard into a golf course is an ok, but not great joke. The appealing art is doing a lot of the heavy lifting. The cartoon is showing a lot happening, but all the action is clearly readable and perspective looks good. Look at all the little details that most wouldn't bother with, like the hydrolic pistons on the digger or the individual plates on the tread. Most importantly, it still looks appropriately cartoony. Like the funny, nonplussed expressions on the prisoners and guards in the foregrounds.

Mac is a total bastard, but he's undeniably one of the most talented craftsmen posted here.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Too Much Might Never Be Enough

Putting aside everything else about the cartoon for a moment. The cop kicking the guy in the last panel is pathetic, a grade-schooler would be embarrassed to have drawn it. It looks like he is doing some kind of jaunty dance, to say nothing of the leg bent like a U. Even Kirschen is better at illustrating action.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 7, 2023

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

It burns that this is the only tribute cartoon. Not only is it uglier then sin, but Stiglich himself is an antisemite who uses a giant hook nose as a visual shorthand for greedy and evil person.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Edge & Christian posted:

This interview from 2016 has her discussing various periods of strife with her family and a situation involving "all her siblings" and how she stopped speaking to "some of her family, including her parents" in the 1970s.

It goes on to indicate that she's had issues with Michael too, but that they've clearly been in contact more recently than 40+ years ago, so all evidence points to a) there being more than one Leunig brother and b) the one who sexually abused her not being Michael.

None of which makes his comics good, but he is (in this specific case, it would seem) not a sex criminal.

Clipped from the cartoon depicting the older brother photographing his naked sister. The fact that she included a malevolent, leering duck drawn in Leunig's style, makes it really hard for me to believe that the cartoon is not about him.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

SimonChris posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/drag-performance-legal-protections-1.6800932

Apparently, Tats used this picture for reference and confused the flag for a wizard hat.

He is referencing/stealing jokes from decades old pop culture again. In this case this bit from Arrested Development.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Alhazred posted:

Not to mention: Why are they coercing kids to transits?

Marching orders directly from Satan.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

logger posted:

The man was stupid enough to stand right behind a horse and should consider himself lucky he was only crapped on and didn't have his head kicked in.

You would think there was a better place to stand and wave a flag other then directly behind a 2 story tall horses rear end in a top hat.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

This is an anti-suffragette cartoon from the 1890's.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Guavanaut posted:

You need to just make it up on the fly like a stable genius.

Preparing anything in advance makes you weak.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Kellies nomination: Worst Overall

Listen, I know it's probably not going to win the worst overall category, since everything is awful and it only gets worse. But, Jesus Christ. Portraying John Q Everyman as a smiling, happy man who is totally tolerant and in favor of equality, only for him to express a transphobic talking point and immediately be screamed at by the most appallingly transphobic caricature imaginable is like being slapped in the loving face.

Having their bigot start out a rant by saying I'm in favor of equality is a pretty standard tactic. Adam4D always had his "reasonable" everywoman start out by saying, "I love gay people, and have lots of gay friends, but..." Then three panels later she is calling for gay people to be rounded up into camps.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

SCF posted:

There has to be a better Korner Kelly pun, but it's the best I could come up with.

Perfect in every way!

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Skios posted:

Steve Kelley

Is there a reason it's Hillary saying it? My assumption is Skelley is just throwing her in as a shorthand for "person I hate". Also what the gently caress does the Durham report have to do with Florida?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Pants Donkey posted:

Rall pretended to be Gen X for decades, but even he couldn’t deny his boomer nature.

Rall cartoons have a real "How do you do, fellow kids?" energy, even the ones from when he was actually young. The man is and always has been a knee jerk reactionary who expresses hostility towards women and the LGBTQ community and suspicion at anything remotely novel. At the same time he has a huge axe to grind against society since his childhood was lovely and his adult career has not given him the wealth, accolades, and success he clearly thinks he deserves. The end result, a bitter old man grumbling about kids these days with their genders and their feminism while impotently insisting he is the flagbearer of counterculture.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jun 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Vib Rib posted:

There's not even a mention of trans people, it's just "gay pride". Getting more and more comfortable insisting openly (once more) that all gay people are pedophiles.

Pretty sure this was always the goal.