Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

the sex ghost posted:

88 million pounds you say

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The first chunk of Wilson’s Inverting the Pyramid is almost fully dedicated to how the formations of old led to “this position = this shirt number” but for multiple countries and the reasons why.

Bring back the old Dutch and Argentinian tournament teams that had like alphabetical numbering orders meaning an outfield player had #1 or whatever nonsense.

Anyhoo Lokonga out on loan to Palace? That’s got to be his Arsenal race run, no?

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

harperdc posted:

The first chunk of Wilson’s Inverting the Pyramid is almost fully dedicated to how the formations of old led to “this position = this shirt number” but for multiple countries and the reasons why.

Doesn't sound amazing too exciting but all of that part of the book rules.

Need to pick up the Micahel Cox football tactics book as well.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

harperdc posted:

Bring back the old Dutch and Argentinian tournament teams that had like alphabetical numbering orders meaning an outfield player had #1 or whatever nonsense.
Manchester United have been tweeting their team announcements in number order rather than by position for ages and it winds me right up

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticFC/status/1620477032302780429

oh dear

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

He'll fit right in

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
He's singing along to a rap song. Is he really going to get punished? I don't know what the operative rules are anymore.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Eric Cantonese posted:

He's singing along to a rap song. Is he really going to get punished? I don't know what the operative rules are anymore.

Cavani got banned for joking with a friend. This is extra weird in that it happened long before he was in England/under FA though, not sure I see how they can retroactively ban him

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

TheRat posted:

Cavani got banned for joking with a friend. This is extra weird in that it happened long before he was in England/under FA though, not sure I see how they can retroactively ban him

I just remembered that Balotelli got a one game ban for this.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/afcstuff/status/1620472590027599872

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Deleted, what was it?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

webmeister posted:

Deleted, what was it?

FA investigating the Ukrainian kid at Chelsea for the n-word in a tiktok last year

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

just realised that it's United vs Leeds on the 8th and then Leeds vs United on the 12th

great work with that scheduling, lads

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

FullLeatherJacket posted:

just realised that it's United vs Leeds on the 8th and then Leeds vs United on the 12th

great work with that scheduling, lads

Blame the dead oval office, it's her fault

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Shrapnig posted:

Blame the dead oval office, it's her fault

Don't think your mum had anything to do with it tbh

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

ilmucche posted:

Don't think your mum had anything to do with it tbh

She's alive anyway, allegedly.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

me a month ago posted:

Transfer window's open as well. Gakpo is off the board but still plenty of time for clubs to drop a comically large amount of money on some world cup guy who had 3 good games

Chelsea FC come on down

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
genuinely surprised mac allister isnt making half a million a week at psg

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I assume Chelsea also tried to buy him

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

Eau de MacGowan posted:

genuinely surprised mac allister isnt making half a million a week at psg

Mac Allister seems like a grounded lad that genuinely wants to repay Brighton for the opportunity and support that they have given him. I wouldn't be surprised is he goes in the Summer but I also wouldn't be surprised if he stays, probably depends if Brighton end up quaifying for some form of Euro competition.

His agent is also his Dad and also seems grounded and therefore not a complete moron arsehole like all other Agents.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

In cool owner news, Leicester's owners wrote off £194m in loans they made to the club over the last decade.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/12800602/leicester-citys-194m-debt-written-off-by-king-power-shows-commitment-after-criticism

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/Kings_10/status/1620878085284593664?s=20

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lol

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/amylawrence71/status/1621527891644403714

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

the bucket of worms is just offscreen, ready for whoever stops running first

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Saw this article in the echo:

quote:

Sean Dyche has banned snoods and hats from Everton training sessions and called on every player to wear shin pads.

The demands were among the first instructions he issued to his new set of players after his appointment as Blues boss - which was officially confirmed on Monday. Pictures of the first sessions he and his coaching team oversaw at Finch Farm were notable for the sight of every player wearing pads.

Asked about this on Thursday, Dyche explained: "This has been going round for years and it drives me mad. Unless I’ve been out of the game for too long, you’re not allowed to wear hats when you play on a Saturday, you’re not allowed to wear snoods when you play on a Saturday and you have to, by the rules, wear shin pads. It is not rocket science.

Everyone makes the mythical story that it’s hard lines from Sean Dyche. It is just common sense. You train how you play, how can you train how you play if you have 14 snoods on, 15 hats and leggings, no shin pads, white socks, it’s not relevant. I told the players, ‘these myths I’m going to bust them for you right now’.

Lolling at 1) managers still getting mad about snoods and 2) lampard era training sessions just being a light no contact kickabout with your winter coat and hat on

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Also it is February and I am on my phone so someone please do the needful with lots of funny jokes in the OP about current premier league events ta

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Chelsea dropped Aubameyang from their Champions League squad lol

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

the sex ghost posted:

Lolling at 1) managers still getting mad about snoods and 2) lampard era training sessions just being a light no contact kickabout with your winter coat and hat on
The last snood controversy I recall was from Chamakh’s Arsenal days. It was the dumbest thing.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Vegetable posted:

The last snood controversy I recall was from Chamakh’s Arsenal days. It was the dumbest thing.

Pretty sure that was shortly before they were banned by IFAB. They were everywhere for the winter of one season and then got globally banned

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I thought it was Nasri who was the snood drama originator

DripDoctors never forget

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

sean "the mythbuster" dyche

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:flashfap:

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

You see the video she posted in that thread? unf

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

lol Dyche owns

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
I'd say this was just Allardyce Part Deux, but it's completely different in that Dyche's whole schtick is actually charming somehow.

(He's also facing a much bigger challenge than Allardyce did, and unlike him would deserve praise if he kept them up. Hell, Everton's financial situation has gotten to the point where they'd do well to stay out of League One).

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
[Calvert Lewin Voice] plz send snoods

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Worth remembering that for all the jokes dyche isnt just a comedy 70s throwback (not that anyone here is suggesting that but you do hear it a lot). Came across this vid the other day where he explains the way he sets his teams up and thought it was dead interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3YY7PY-IH0

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I feel like I remember him being on Crouch's podcast a long time ago and finding it fairly interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

Worth remembering that for all the jokes dyche isnt just a comedy 70s throwback (not that anyone here is suggesting that but you do hear it a lot). Came across this vid the other day where he explains the way he sets his teams up and thought it was dead interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3YY7PY-IH0

But that's the problem is that his tactics are old and he thinks the modern 4-3-3 is the same thing as the one van Basten, Rijkaard, and Gullit ran in Milan.