Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
This is going to be a long post about everything to do with factions. I wanted to get this out of the way now so people can read it and already know how things work when chapter 1 arrives.

-------------------

How to create factions

Anyone can create a faction, you don’t have to have a character in the game. Simply declare a new faction and state which two skills it is associated with. These can never be changed, and there can’t be two factions which have the same two skills. You can give your faction a name, although it’s only for RP purposes and the faction can freely vote for a new name whenever they want to.
A faction will dissolve if it has no more members left. A new faction with the same two skills can’t be created for 20 years.

Dominant, influential and weak factions

The faction with the biggest amount of votes is considered dominant. If it has less than 50% of votes, the next biggest faction is considered influential. If the two factions combined have less than 50% of votes, the next biggest faction is considered influential. This continues until 50% of votes are reached. The remaining factions are considered weak.
For example, if there are 5 factions and the 2 biggest have 30% and 25% of votes respectively, this accounts for 55% of total votes. The 50% point is reached, so all the smaller factions are all considered weak.
If there are 5 factions and one has 50% of votes, it Is the dominant while all the rest are weak.

Faction leaders and improving your stats via factions

A faction will always have a leader. This is automatically the one with the highest influence in the faction. Every character (so an actual character in the game, in our rulers realm, landed or not) in a faction has a base influence of 2. This is then modified by several ways.

First the characters two skills associated with the faction have an impact in the following way (using the obfusckate mod).

F – -1 point
D – 0 point
C - +1 point
B - +2 points
A - +3 points

Holding titles also adds influence. Every count-level title is +1 point and every duchy level title +2 points. Kingdoms are +3, but it'll probably be a while until we have kingdom tier vassals. I'd appreciate feedback on how much influence titles should add.
Being on the council gives +2 points, and any of the court positions (court tutor, master of the horse etc) adds +1 point (except probably the jester).
Being a friend of the ruler is +2 influence, but +4 in the loyalist faction. Also appreciate feedback here.

Finally, everyone belonging to our house has +1 influence, along with everyone belonging the house of our spouse.

The one with the highest influence factoring in everything above is automatically the leader. If there is a tie, everyone tied for first must either declare their intent to be faction leader or let the current leader be. If a challenger (or more) appears, every member in the faction (everyone who voted for the faction last time) gets to vote on who will be the leader. Faction members influence = vote strength.

Why would you want to be the faction leader? Well, factions are a way to increase your stats or gain new traits. The chance is equal to the vote share of the faction and is doubled for the faction leader. This might improve your education level for example, or give you powerful lifestyle finisher perks. Maybe you will become a legendary blademaster eventually if you stay in a martial faction for long enough. Also I will keep score on how many years a character has been/was a faction leader and put them higher on the list when new council seats or titles become available. It would be stupid to ignore an influential person after all.
Readers without a character can become members of factions, but their influence is always 1. You can always claim unclaimed characters though if you want to once the game has started and I actually unpause the game.

Demands and propositions

The dominant and influential factions can put pressure on the ruler by making demands. The faction can make more demands the more vote share it has.
10-19% - one demand
20-29% - two demands
etc.
The dominant faction will have +1 demand. So a dominant faction with 35% of votes would get to make 4 demands, but the maximum amount of demands per faction is capped at 5.
Influential factions have one demand minimum, while weak factions can never make demands.

Demands must have two parts, associated with the skills of its faction. For example a diplo/martial faction can make a demand which is both diplo, both martial or one of both. These could be something like,

Diplo/diplo – Befriend powerful Viking rulers and seek alliances with them
Diplo/martial – Raid rich lands and take/offer captured young women as concubines for yourself/landed vassals
Martial/martial – Increase our military strength via more men-at-arms and finding better knights.
I’m sure you can come up with tons more.

A member can propose a demand within the faction, and all of their influence is then used to support their own proposition. They are not allowed to split their influence among two or more proposals. Members, who are not making their own proposals, can then use their influence in any way they like. They can support or oppose as many propositions as they want, up to the amount of their influence.
If our ruler doesn’t accomplish a demand, he will gain stress equal to the vote share of the faction which made the demand. This is multiplied for every demand unfulfilled. So that dominant faction with 75% of vote share and 5 demands has the potential to make our ruler literally die from stress, whereas an influential faction with 15% vote share and one demand is not as big of a deal.

Loyalist faction

Loyalist faction is different. It’s demands are considered suggestions and don’t cause the ruler stress if left unfulfilled, as the point of the loyalist faction is to support the ruler and ultimately let them choose the best course of action. Suggestions must also have two parts and they can be whatever you want. The ruler will reduce their stress by an amount equal to the loyalist factions vote share if they successfully follow the suggestions.
The loyalist faction does not have a leader, as they support the ruler. The loyalists influence is determined by how skilled they are in their own education (so F, C, D etc) and that of the rulers education. So if our ruler has a martial education, then everyone's martial skill would effect their influence. If a character has the same education as the ruler, their highest other skill is used instead. So if a character has B in both diplo and martial and F everywhere else, they would use their diplo and martial if our ruler has a martial education.
Members of the loyalist faction also have a chance to gain traits or improve their skills, and also become friends with the ruler and other loyalists.

Dominant faction effects and bonuses

Finally, the dominant faction means our ruler has to pick a lifestyle associated with it. This will be six options in total, as every skill has three lifestyles and every faction has two skills. The exception of course is the loyalist faction, which lets our ruler freely choose whatever.

The dominant faction will also give the ruler a bonus (numbers still subject to change).

Loyalist faction ----- -25% stress gain, +20% monthly lifestyle experience
Diplo/Martial ----- +25% diplo range
Diplo/Steward ----- +10 Vassal opinion
Diplo/Intrigue ----- Max personal schemes + 1
Diplo/Learning ----- Big boost to fertility and health
Martial/Steward ----- +0.5 monthly control growth
Martial/Intrigue ----- Prowess and advantage +5
Martial/Learningt ----- May purchase a powerful commander or a knight for 1k piety, 5y cooldown
Steward/Intrigue ----- Domain limit + 2
Steward/Learning ----- +0.2 monthly development in realm capitol, +20% development growth
Intrigue/Learning ----- Convert one county in realm to rulers faith for 1k piety, 5y cooldown

I am making a quick mod to add these as traits right now (except the piety purchase ones which are just easy to console in game). I think all of these are pretty good. Some are very situational, while some are always useful. Again, I appreciate any feedback. If you think something is way too strong or weak let me know.

----------------------

The point of factions is to give the readers a possibility to not only actively direct the ruler but also to encourage them to have their own character in the game by rewarding those who join factions they are suited for. You can fight for power if you want to, or just support the ruler and let them decide, whatever you choose.

Well, that was a long rear end post, if you have any questions or feedback let me know. I’m still doing the mod for the bonus traits as well as making a couple more courtiers before I finally start chapter 1, hopefully still today.

If you still want a custom character, you have some time left, instructions are in the OP.

Albino Squirrel posted:

Can I lay claim to our doctor? I can RP that pretty well. Time to invent germ theory!

Unfortunately Abdullah is already claimed. But if you think you can RP a doctor, why not make your own? There is a pretty appropriate DNA in reddit if you are interested.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CKTinder/comments/pgruou/hugh_laurie_gregory_house/

Or you can come up with your own DNA of course (or let me make one). You can freely choose 3 personality traits and I'll add in renowned physician and genius on top of it.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jan 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Votes are now

A - 7
B - 1
C - 1
D - 3

Iceland held on to it's early lead so we'll be starting there. As for our starting ruler:

Wrathful - 5 votes
Diligent - 3 votes
Blademaster - 2 votes
Stubborn, impatient, craven, lazy, dwarf, paranoid, compassionate, brave, gregarious, just and honest - 1 vote

Wrathful and diligent aren't too expensive, then I'll see what we can afford that gets us first tier of blademaster and as good of an education as possible. At the end if there's lots of traits that we can afford for the 3rd personality trait I'll just use an rng.

Martial education got the most votes so we'll start with that, and reaver was the most popular commander trait so we'll get that as well.

Making the mod for the faction bonuses took some time but I managed to get it working as intended so yay. I'll make the character tomorrow and then we'll have one final vote for our wife and then we can start.

YOU CAN STILL SUBMIT YOUR OWN CHARACTERS UNTIL WE HAVE VOTED FOR OUR WIFE

Luca_024
Dec 26, 2022
I'm getting pretty hyped for this, the factions all sound really interesting.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Sure, I'll throw a character in:

Nils Askeladden

Appearance: Just gonna grab this one off CKTinder, gets the general aesthetic vibe down at least.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CKTinder/comments/zozz7g/my_attempt_at_emperor_sigismund_used_bit_of_a/
https://pastebin.com/hNyx3WDq

Traits: Brave, Ambitious, Greedy

Education: Stewardship

Sexuality: Bisexual

Culture: Norse

Faith: Asatru

I'm keeping things as basic as possible mechanically for the actual submission, but the idea is: wealthy Icelandic freeholder who built his fortune settling the place, but saw which way the wind was blowing when the Count showed up/got himself established and figured that he'd go big or go home by pledging himself as the count's sworn man. Has something of a tendency for the grasp of his eyes to outweigh that of his hands, but it's always ended well so far, right?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Have a character, sure.

Thyra af Svarti

DNA

Education: Martial
Personality: Zealous, Shy, Stubborn
Traits: Shieldmaiden, Winter Soldier

Other points in martial or whatever you like. Siblings: sure.

Coat of Arms is a ship on a black background.

Thyra is a distant cousin of the family who was appointed shieldmaiden by our father after she saved several people from a fire. She says little and prefers to be elsewhere when the drinks and song are flowing, which has made her somewhat unpopular. Her father made a name for himself raiding the Danes, and she secretly hopes to win similar glories - and marriage to a fine husband - in our service.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

Jossar posted:

Sure, I'll throw a character in:

Nils Askeladden

Appearance: Just gonna grab this one off CKTinder, gets the general aesthetic vibe down at least.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CKTinder/comments/zozz7g/my_attempt_at_emperor_sigismund_used_bit_of_a/
https://pastebin.com/hNyx3WDq

Traits: Brave, Ambitious, Greedy

Education: Stewardship

I'm keeping things as basic as possible mechanically for the actual submission, but the idea is: wealthy Icelandic freeholder who built his fortune settling the place, but saw which way the wind was blowing when the Count showed up/got himself established and figured that he'd go big or go home by pledging himself as the count's sworn man. Has something of a tendency for the grasp of his eyes to outweigh that of his hands, but it's always ended well so far, right?

megane posted:

Have a character, sure.

Thyra af Svarti

DNA

Thyra is a distant cousin of the family who was appointed shieldmaiden by our father after she saved several people from a fire. She says little and prefers to be elsewhere when the drinks and song are flowing, which has made her somewhat unpopular. Her father made a name for himself raiding the Danes, and she secretly hopes to win similar glories - and marriage to a fine husband - in our service.

How old are your characters? You can give the exact age or a range whichever you prefer.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Chapter 0: Our ruler and his new wife

Meet Thoke. A wrathful, diligent and gregarious 23 year old chieftain with the best martial education. He is an aspiring blademaster and a reaver.
As you can see from his stats Thoke is a simple man. He knows a thing or two about how to talk to people and how to manage the realm, having watched his father rule before him. He doesn't care about learning or intrigue. That is for milk drinking pussies. At least he knows how to read runes.
But he is good at leading armies, raiding foreign lands and killing people. And as a Viking, that's pretty good.

He has always had an eye on a certain girl in the village, who is finally of age to marry.

Who is it? (I forgot to change their surnames damnit, at least one of them will change when we actually begin)

Is it Ingrid?
She is a generous, compassionate and honest woman, with the best diplomacy education. She is a gardener, herbalist, novice physician and a poet. She is also quite pretty and has been popular with boys of her age throughout her life.

Is it Angrboda?
She is a calm, callous and vengeful woman, with the best intrigue education. She is an herbalist, a wise woman, a witch and life has molded her into a shrewd person. She is also smarter than most, picking new things up quickly.

Is it Vigdis?
She is a brave, zealous and diligent woman, with the best martial education. She is an aspiring blademaster, a shieldmaiden and a berserker who burns with religious fury against those who do not believe in the Allfather. She has always had a strong physique ever since she was a little kid, and has only become stronger as an adult.

--------------------

Yeah they're OP, but we won't be playing as them, they'll simply be there to help us. I wanted to have three choices for the three basic congenital traits and have them all be pretty different from each other. There's possibilities to compensate for our own shortcomings in certain skills, or just lean hard into our own strenghts
In case you didn't know, our wife can boost all of our stats by a fraction of her own, or one of our stats by a larger fraction.

So, get to voting! Same as with starting location, the first to reach 10 votes is considered the winner. I might call it early if one of them has like 7 and the other have 1 or if there aren't enough votes.

If you want to claim one of them, do it as you vote. If there are multiple claimants I will do a random draw on who gets who. You can claim a different one than what you vote for.

If you want to claim one of the earlier courtiers like Emund, Aslak/Asleikr or Orvar, you have to vote first.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 9, 2023

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Go with witch-wife

Luca_024
Dec 26, 2022
I vote for Vigdis. That Martial and Stewardship mean the money and levies will never stop coming in, and what else do we need as a Viking, really?
Also, Hale gives a health boost, which means our heirs might live longer than they otherwise would have and I'm all here for the roleplaying implicatons of a centenarian ruler who outlives all of his vassals.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Finnish Flasher posted:

How old are your characters? You can give the exact age or a range whichever you prefer.

Late 30s, early 40s.

Also, cast my vote for Angrboda, there would probably be too much friction between Thoke and Ingrid, but there needs to be at least one person among the comital couple who can resolve disputes with something other than a punch to the face.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I'd go with Ingrid, but that's just due to my to experience in CK2 being diplomacy trumps all.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

oh God no please don't marry the high intrigue callous witch. That will not end well. (I would've voted for her since she shores up our huge deficiencies in intrigue and learning, but a callous, calm wife with a 0 intrigue wrathful husband? Lol no, that's a recipe for being cuckolded and murdered. Which could be fun of course, but let's try to avoid it on our very first dude maybe?)

hard toss-up between the other two, too - Vigdis would be great but basically the same as our main character, her strong genes would be a definite advantage for the future but with concubines you can always pop out a genius/herculean/handsome kid or three anyway. Also she's zealous and probably will want to blood eagle my custom courtier so there's that.

Guess that means I'm casting my vote for Ingrid - a wife that's not a bloodcrazed, violent axe/dagger wielding murderer but rather a decent person good with healing and plants could actually be an advantage? I hope? Also she's pretty and a redhead, I like that.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Forgot to mention but I will use console commands to make our wife our friend due to RP reasons so we would be safe from any hypothetical scenarios where our high intrigue witch wife wants to murder us because we are not as calm as she is.

Also our character will not be taking any of the other two as concubines. He will be taking some eventually, of course. Just not any of these.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Finnish Flasher posted:

Forgot to mention but I will use console commands to make our wife our friend due to RP reasons so we would be safe from any hypothetical scenarios where our high intrigue witch wife wants to murder us because we are not as calm as she is.

Are we even playing Crusader Kings at this point? :v:

That said, I stick with my choice - this is a roleplaying game to me and while considering the latest info Angreboda would absolutely be the optimal choice (well depending on how witchcraft goes I guess, but quick is imo a few steps above the other congenital traits barring very specific circumstances), I still want a better wife for our dude than a callous manipulative witch.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

TorakFade posted:

Are we even playing Crusader Kings at this point? :v:

That said, I stick with my choice - this is a roleplaying game to me and while considering the latest info Angreboda would absolutely be the optimal choice (well depending on how witchcraft goes I guess), I still want a better wife for our dude than a callous manipulative witch.

We are playing heavily modded Crusader Kings with focus on reader interaction, crazy shenanigans and RP. Consoling our first wife to be our friend will make sense in Chapter 1 for RP purposes, and also to avoid spending all this time to have Angrboda murder us before we have a child.

Later on I won't be doing this sort of safety measures. If our future wives end up killing us, so be it. In fact it would be fun to have someone claim our wife/husband in the future and try to kill us so our child becomes top dog. But for now, this is a countermeasure to getting an early game over.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Finnish Flasher posted:

We are playing heavily modded Crusader Kings with focus on reader interaction, crazy shenanigans and RP. Consoling our first wife to be our friend will make sense in Chapter 1 for RP purposes, and also to avoid spending all this time to have Angrboda murder us before we have a child.

Later on I won't be doing this sort of safety measures. If our future wives end up killing us, so be it. In fact it would be fun to have someone claim our wife/husband in the future and try to kill us so our child becomes top dog. But for now, this is a countermeasure to getting an early game over.

Of course, just joking around. Can't wait to see what comes out of this :)

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

Jossar posted:

Late 30s, early 40s.

Also, cast my vote for Angrboda, there would probably be too much friction between Thoke and Ingrid, but there needs to be at least one person among the comital couple who can resolve disputes with something other than a punch to the face.

For some reason your hair was causing a problem in the DNA. Does this look fine to you?

You can also adjust your stats and age if you want to still. For reference, you could be 5 years younger if you wanted to at the cost of 2 diplomacy.

megane posted:

Have a character, sure.

Thyra af Svarti

DNA

Again, none of the hairs seem to work for me. I could paste the rest though.

Feel free to ask for changes. If you give me a screenshot of the hair you want I can change it.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 9, 2023

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I vote Angrboda. Witch-wife.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Ingrid, because she seems like the most 80s-sitcom-esque choice.

Looks correct! She's gonna get murdered, no doubt.

megane fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 9, 2023

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Ingrid because Diplomacy is king, plus she is good at the things I like to be good at in my own playing.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

TorakFade posted:

oh God no please don't marry the high intrigue callous witch. That will not end well. (I would've voted for her since she shores up our huge deficiencies in intrigue and learning, but a callous, calm wife with a 0 intrigue wrathful husband? Lol no, that's a recipe for being cuckolded and murdered. Which could be fun of course, but let's try to avoid it on our very first dude maybe?)

This is fair but, otoh, the thread title is "Chaos Reigns Supreme" so :witch: imho

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

witch wife witch wife witch wife

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Character looks fine to me, aesthetic/design-wise. Maybe trade 2 Learning points for whatever that gets in Martial. A priest, Nils is not.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

biosterous posted:

witch wife witch wife witch wife

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Who Wants To Marry a Viking?

Camera pans to a blonde woman in a red dress, wearing makeup.

S: Hello everyone and welcome to the Viking worlds best dating show, my name is Svanhild and I'm your host. Today we have come to Austrland to ask our three lovely ladies, Ingrid, Angrboda and Vigdis how they feel about their chances at becoming the wife of chieftain Thoke. First up, is Ingrid. Let's go ask her what she thinks.

The camera cuts to the village's market where Ingrid is surrounded by her simps, all vying for her attention. Security escorts her outside the village so they can interview her in peace.

S: Ingrid, we've learned that the chieftain is a wrathful man, and as a contestant, you are known for being generous and compassionate. Do you think you would be able to get along well with him if you were to become his wife?

I: I believe that despite the chieftain's wrathful nature, we would be able to find common ground and get along well. From what I have seen, the chieftain is also sociable and loves to be around others. I believe my compassion and generosity would be able to balance out his wrathful tendencies, and that we would make a good team.

S: It's been a fierce competition, and the village has spoken. Our polls so far show that 36% of the villagers believe that you should be the chieftain's wife. What do you think about your chances of marrying the chieftain?

Ingrid flashes a warm smile.

I: I am honored and humbled to have the support of so many of my fellow villagers. I've given it my all during this game show and I'm glad that my efforts have been recognized. I know that the decision is ultimately up to Thoke, but to know that so many people believe in me means a lot to me.

S: It's clear that you've made a strong impression on the audience with your peaceful and diplomatic approach. What would you say are the best courses of action for our tribe going forward?

I: I believe that unity and peace are key to the prosperity of our people and I will always strive for that.

Svanhild glances quickly at the camera, then looks back at Ingrid.

S: But hypothetically if a conflict did occur. How would you help both the tribe and it's chieftain?

Ingrid thinks for a moment.

I: I understand that war is a very real possibility, and as the chieftain's wife, I would do everything in my power to support both the tribe and chieftain Thoke in the event of a conflict. My first action would be to help him in organizing and supplying our warriors, and providing support in logistics. Secondly, I would also be willing to act as a mediator between the tribes to maintain a peaceful solution, if possible. Thirdly, and most importantly, I would be there for my husband, Thoke and provide emotional support. War is not only physically tiring, but also mentally and emotionally taxing on the leader. I would make sure that he is well taken care of, so that he can lead our tribe to victory.

S: A fantastic answer! Thank you for your time, I for one am a fan!

Ingrid smiles at the camera and curtsies.

S: It's time for a commercial break. After we come back, we'll have a chat with our next contestant!

Opening shot of a viking warrior using a heavy, broad-headed axe to chop through the door of a Saxon village in England.
"Introducing the newest addition to your Viking arsenal: The Stormbringer Axe."
Cut to a close-up of the axe, turning slowly to show its intricate design, adorned with Norse symbols and a curved shape that gives it a fierce look.
"Crafted by our master blacksmiths, this axe is designed for both utility and battle. Its broad, heavy head is perfect for breaking down doors and making quick work of enemy defenses."
Cut to a group of vikings training with the axes in a field, showing the power of the axe with each swing and its weight allows the vikings to deliver crushing blows.
"Tested by our own Viking warriors, the Stormbringer Axe is built to withstand the rigors of combat and the harsh conditions of a raid."
Cut to a shot of a Viking charging into battle with the axe in hand, its curved shape and the weight of the axe make it perfect for a fast and deadly attack.
"Don't be caught without the right weapon. Upgrade your arsenal with the Stormbringer Axe today."
Closing shot of a Viking warrior brandishing an axe during raid, with the words "Stormbringer Axe - Available Now!" displayed on the screen

The screen cuts back to Svanhild, in the middle of the forest.

S: Angrboda, it's great to see you out here in the forest. Can you tell us a little about what you and your friend Halla are doing?

Angrboda turns to Svanhild with a calm and calculating look in her eyes.

A: We are gathering herbs for our potions and spells. The forest is full of powerful plants and herbs that can be used for healing, protection, and even divination.

S: Does this mean you are witches?

A: How very observant of you. You could say that, yes.

H: Tyhmä nainen. Paksukainen syö varmaan kolmen ihmisen verran.

Angrboda and Halla both smile.

S: I'm sorry but most of our viewers probably don't speak Finnish, would you like to repeat that in Norse?

A: She was complementing you for your healthy and fertile body, you have good childbearing hips.

S: Oh thank you! It is true, I'm quite a catch. But Angrboda, I wanted to ask you if you think you would get along with the chieftain. As we both know, he is a wrathful man, and as a contestant, you are known for being calm and composed. Do you think you would be able to get along well with him if you were to become his wife?

Angrboda has a calm and collected expression on her face.

A: I believe that my calm demeanor would be able to counteract the chieftain's wrathful nature. I understand that anger and aggression are natural responses in certain situations, but as his partner and potentially the leader of the tribe, it's important to have a steady hand and make well-thought out decisions. I am confident that I would be able to provide a level-headed perspective that would balance out the chieftain's more impulsive tendencies.

S: How do you feel about possibly becoming the wife of the chieftain? According to our polls, 54% of the tribe at the moment wants you to marry chieftain Thoke. How does it feel to have such strong support from the community?

A: I am honored to have the support of so many people in the village. I understand that my approach to problem-solving and my leadership skills may be seen as controversial, but I believe that my intellect, strategic thinking and decisiveness will be beneficial for the tribe in the long run. I am glad that many people recognize that.

Svanhild nods.

S: As a leader and the potential wife of the chieftain, it's important to have a clear vision for the future of the tribe. Can you tell us, what direction would you take the tribe in, if you were to become the chieftain's wife?

Angrboda looks thoughtful for a moment before responding.

A: If I were to become the chieftain's wife, my primary focus would be on expanding and strengthening our tribe. I would focus on increasing our resources and wealth through trade, raids and alliances with other tribes. I would also focus on fortifying our defenses and training our warriors to be the best they can be, to protect our tribe from outside invaders.

S: That sounds like a strong plan. And what would you do for the tribe and chieftain Thoke in case a war started between us and another tribe. After all, there are Christians on this island of ours.

Angrboda's expression turns serious.

A: In times of war, my role would be to support the chieftain and the tribe in any way I can. I would use my knowledge of potions and charms to make sure our warriors are healthy and protected. I would also use my skills in divination and prophecy to gain insight into the enemy's movements and anticipate their attacks. If it becomes necessary to use my powers to eliminate a threat to our tribe, I will not hesitate to do so.

S: Thank you for your answer, as well as your time. Now it's time for another commercial break, after which we will interview our final contestant!

Opening shot of a longship sailing on the open sea, with fierce-looking vikings on board.
"Are you in need of skilled and experienced raiders for your next expedition? Look no further than Viking Headhunters!"
Cut to a group of vikings training in a field, with a voiceover of the narrator describing their skills and experience
"Our team of experts handpicks the most capable and fierce warriors from the most reputable clans. From huskarls to bowmen, we have the perfect raider for your needs."
Cut to a shot of a viking settlement with a voiceover of the narrator describing the company's recruitment process.
"Our recruitment process is thorough and rigorous, ensuring that only the most elite warriors make the cut. We pride ourselves on finding the best raiders available, so you can rest easy knowing that your next expedition will be a success."
Cut to a shot of a Viking raiding party raiding a village with a voiceover of the narrator describing the company's guarantee of success.
"At Viking Headhunters, we guarantee success. With our skilled raiders by your side, you can be sure that your next expedition will be a profitable one."
Closing shot of three viking warriors, armed and ready for battle, standing in front of a longboat with the words "Viking Headhunters - Elite Warriors for Hire" displayed on the screen.

The screen cuts back to Svanhild who is standing in the tribe's armory.

S: I'm standing here next to our final contestant who was just sharpening her axe.

Vigdis is holding her brand new Strombringer Axe, making sure the logo is visible to the camera.

S: As you know, the chieftain is a wrathful man, and as a contestant, you are known for being diligent and hardworking. Do you think you would be able to get along well with him if you were to become his wife?

Vigdis responds confidently.

V: I believe our shared diligent nature would help us appreciate each other and our strengths. I understand that the chieftain's wrathful nature may be a challenge, but I am confident in my ability to direct it towards the unbelievers and enemies of our tribe. I believe that by channeling his passion and drive towards the protection and expansion of our tribe and belief, we can work together effectively and bring glory and honor to our people.

S: The competition has been fierce and the audience has spoken. Our polls show that only 9% of the viewers want you to marry the chieftain. How does that make you feel?

V: I understand that my approach may not be for everyone, but I am proud of who I am and what I have to offer. I am a distinguished warrior, I work hard outside combat and most importantly I am loyal to Odin. I will continue to be true to my beliefs and if the people and the chieftain find that insufficient then that is the will of the gods.

S: I'm sure none in the village question neither your capabilities as a warrior or your devotion to the gods. As the final contestant and potentially the chieftain's wife, it's important to have a clear vision for the future of the tribe. Can you tell us, what direction would you take the village in, if you were to become the chieftain's wife?

V: If I were to become the chieftain's wife, my primary focus would be on strengthening our tribe through hard work and holding on to our traditions and beliefs. I would also focus on expanding our territory through raids and alliances with neighboring tribes. I would encourage our people to continue to be fierce warriors, and to always remember the importance of honor and glory in battle, so that we can earn the favor of the gods.

S: What would you do in times of war? How would you help our tribe and the chieftain?

Vigdis answers immediately without hesitation.

V: I would fight alongside our warriors on the front lines, leading by example and showing them the importance of honor and glory in battle. I would personally kill every single enemy if it came to that. I would also make sure our tribe continues to work hard even in times of war. Finally, I would lead our people in prayers and sacrifices to the gods, to earn their favor and ensure our victory.

S: What a fierce woman! Thank you for your time, I hope everything goes well for you.

Camera cuts to Svanhild standing outside the village gates.

S: And there you have it! The final words from our three contestants. It is still time to vote for your favorite! Join us next time on Who Wants To Marry a Viking to find out who chieftain Thoke chooses!

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 10, 2023

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
... My god this is the most glorious thing ever on these forums. You sir are amazing.

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.
This looks good, though don't really have an opinion on all the set-up stuff. I cast my votes for whatever options get us closer to invading Egypt

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Oh yeah this is good. :getin:

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
The votes are currently:

Ingrid - 4
Angrboda - 6
Vigdis - 1

It's pretty close so I'll leave the vote up for another 24 hours. That should be enough time. I'll check again tomorrow and start the game. First chapter should be up tomorrow.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 12, 2023

Luca_024
Dec 26, 2022
The life of a Vigdis appreciator is a lonely one :eng99:

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

Luca_024 posted:

The life of a Vigdis appreciator is a lonely one :eng99:

You can always create/claim a courtier and try to marry her yourself :love:

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
So apparently the first episode of Vinland Saga season 2 just came out.

Yeah I know she doesn't have an eyepatch but CK3 doesn't let you scar someone's eye like in the manga.

Y'all should watch Vinland Saga, then read the manga.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
If I'm not too late to submit a character:

Erika

Appearance: not familiar with this but reddit suggests this is a DNA link: https://pastebin.com/DxkwVYZ9

Traits: Vengeful, Paranoid, Arbitrary, Witch

Education: Intrigue

Culture: Han (unless you're using a mod that allows for Japanese, but I'm sure our Vikings wouldn't know the difference)

Taken far from her homeland by raiders, Erika was forced to survive and thrive by her wits alone, and she has plenty of those. She will happily make herself useful to her liege by rooting out and punishing all his enemies. Even if her liege doesn't have any enemies, that won't stop her from finding enemies to expose and punish in order to prove her loyalty and usefulness.

PS. Voting Witch-Wife, let's start a coven.

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 13, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

ZiegeDame posted:

If I'm not too late to submit a character:

Erika

Appearance: not familiar with this but reddit suggests this is a DNA link: https://pastebin.com/DxkwVYZ9

Traits: Vengeful, Paranoid, Arbitrary, Witch

Education: Intrigue

Culture: Han (unless you're using a mod that allows for Japanese, but I'm sure our Vikings wouldn't know the difference)

Taken far from her homeland by raiders, Erika was forced to survive and thrive by her wits alone, and she has plenty of those. She will happily make herself useful to her liege by rooting out and punishing all his enemies. Even if her liege doesn't have any enemies, that won't stop her from finding enemies to expose and punish in order to prove her loyalty and usefulness.

PS. Voting Witch-Wife, let's start a coven.

Your character is the last to get in, congrats!

Angrboda wins! I'm starting up the game now, it'll take a while to set up all the custom characters but I should get the first update up today.

Also in the update about factions I completely forgot to mention that being a friend of the ruler is +2 points, but +4 if you are in the loyalist faction.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Chapter 1: A time of grief and love, 1st of January 867 - 4th of October 867.

The raiding ships came back to Austrland. And they brought back bad news.

The old chieftain was dead, slain in southern lands along with many other men of the tribe. He had been a good ruler, and was supported by nearly everyone.

Thoke was now the chieftain. As the rest of his family grieved, he felt anger. His father had been taken from him too soon.

One of the men slain had been an influential friend of his father and his family had always been close to Thoke's. He went personally to show his respect to the family of the man who had been killed in his fathers raid.

He consoled his eldest daughter, who he had always considered a friend. The two of them were united in their grief, and soon found themselves in love.

The two families were united in marriage. The grief turned to joy and love.

Thoke appointed capable people in his council.

His marshal, Vigdis, quickly started improving his warriors.

Thoke started training more men. They had lost a lot during the raid and would need to be ready to defend themselves.

Thoke felt like the village could support additional buildings, but he needed money to fund those, as well as the people's respect. It would have to wait, they weren't ready to launch new raiding parties anytime soon.

The new chieftain hoped people would support him, as he surely needed all the help he could get. He hadn't thought he would become the chieftain just yet...

------------------

CREATING FACTIONS IS NOW ENABLED

Next update will be longer, I will show a list of all unclaimed adults in our court. This was a shorter one to get the story started and let you guys start factions asap before anything major happens.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 24, 2023

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

I propose the Diplomat faction which focuses on Diplomacy and Learning.

Edit: Oh, right Suggestions. Form alliances with nearby powerful rulers.

ChaosStar0 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 13, 2023

Luca_024
Dec 26, 2022
Abdullah is many things: a physician, a faithful member of the house of Islam, a kind man... but a warrior and traitor, he is not, and he must repay the debt to the "pagans" who spared his life. He has offered his services as a doctor, closely following the works of Galen and his peers, but if he wants to truly change these people's lives for the better, he'll have to go further.

I'd like to Create the Faction for the Betterment of Austrland, tied to the Attributes of Learning and Stewardship. For now, its only suggestion will be to Save up money and build Trading Outposts, hoping to kick off a spiral of ever-increasing revenue and development.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Rolando feels pretty confused by all these weird people and their weird habits, nevermind their language. He knows he won't go anywhere if he stays hidden in the shadows though, and his ambition makes him step forward to create a faction of warlike raiders for profit (Martial/Stewardship); he knows his way around a ledger and how to organise construction sites, but he is not so sure about his martial abilities, but hey, can't be much more difficult than swordfighting right? :v: hopefully someone will step in and provide some of the needed martial knowledge in case.

So the gist of it should be build more buildings, do so by raiding and sacking people I guess. Quicker than saving up!

e: or works towards doing so, since it's not possible to do it right away, missed that bit sorry :shobon:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 13, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
By the way, there is plenty of time to create and join factions. The next couple of chapters will be introducing and explaining some game mechanics and providing a detailed list of all courtiers.

The ruler will listen to the factions demands every five years, as that is the cooldown to change lifestyles. So for the first five in game years Thoke is going to do how he sees best.

I will also be giving some information about laws next update. Laws are similar to demands, but their effects are permanent until abolished. Laws are done similarly as demands, with a proposition inside a faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

TorakFade posted:

Rolando feels pretty confused by all these weird people and their weird habits, nevermind their language. He knows he won't go anywhere if he stays hidden in the shadows though, and his ambition makes him step forward to create a faction of warlike raiders for profit (Martial/Stewardship); he knows his way around a ledger and how to organise construction sites, but he is not so sure about his martial abilities, but hey, can't be much more difficult than swordfighting right? :v: hopefully someone will step in and provide some of the needed martial knowledge in case.

So the gist of it should be build more buildings, do so by raiding and sacking people I guess. Quicker than saving up!

e: or works towards doing so, since it's not possible to do it right away, missed that bit sorry :shobon:

I support this on the rider that when possible, we should pillage the Nile (then settle there)