Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
I'm going to go over some final things regarding faction influence, demands and laws. I don't want to change things too much when the game has already started, but I think with these final additions I am happy with the overall metagame mechanics.

First, faction influence. I think it makes sense that those characters that are related to either our ruler or our wife/husband, are more influential.

So everyone of our house, af Vestrsaer automatically gets +1 influence, along with our parents who are not of our house.
As kids cannot vote, that would currently be our mother and our oldest sister.
If at any point cadet branches happen, they lose the +1 influence.

We would also want the support of our spouse's family, so everyone of the Svartrfrigga house automatically gets +1 influence, along with our spouses parent who is not of their house.
At the moment that would be our wife, our mother-in-law, and our brother-in-law.

While the bonus that our house members get is always applied, our spouse's house is likely to change now and then.

Second, demands. I want to go over again how demands work.

Finnish Flasher posted:

Demands must have two parts, associated with the skills of its faction. For example a diplo/martial faction can make a demand which is both diplo, both martial or one of both. These could be something like,

Diplo/diplo – Befriend powerful Viking rulers and seek alliances with them
Diplo/martial – Raid rich lands and take/offer captured young women as concubines for yourself/landed vassals
Martial/martial – Increase our military strength via more men-at-arms and finding better knights.

Demands must always have two parts. If you propose a demand inside your faction, and it consists of only one part, it is invalid for votes until it is paired with another part. You can accept someone else's suggestion for the other part, or come up with your own.

This is an example of an invalid demand: Raid Iberia
This is another example of an invalid demand: Get one concubine

This is an example of a valid demand: Raid iberia. If you capture women, take one as concubine.

Lastly, laws. Readers can come up with laws inside the faction, and if they end up getting enough votes internally, the faction will demand that the law be implemented.
If instead of a regular demand, the faction demands a law, it will be voted on by EVERYONE. It needs more votes for than against for it to be implemented. The ruler will also get to vote. if our ruler votes for the law and it doesn't pass or vice versa, they get stress.
So why demand a law instead of a regular demand? Let me quote the famous philosopher Thanos.

Want to make christianity illegal in our realm? Go for it.
Make it illegal for our ruler to control more than 33% of the land? Go for it.
Can't raid or start wars against other asatru? Go for it.

Laws can be simple. They can also be very convoluted. Compared to regular demands, it is risky to demand the implementation of a law, as everyone (including those in other factions) get to vote on it. But if it gets passed it is there until abolished.
Abolishing works the same way, a faction must demand a law be abolished or changed, and then the demand needs >50% of votes from everyone.

The following laws were implemented by our ruler's father before his death.
The status of women. Free women may choose their husbands, and can not be forced into marriage or to serve as concubines against their will. Parents can arrange marriages for their children, but if the children turn 20, their parents no longer get a say.
The duty of the strong. Those with high prowess must serve the village by fighting in battles or joining raids. Refusal to do so is not punishable by imprisonment, but is considered extremely dishonorable. Women with children less than 3 years old may refuse to serve, as well as pregnant women. Men can not refuse.

It's getting late in Finland so this is it for now. Tomorrow I will try to provide a list of all courtiers as well as explain some normal-rear end CK3 mechanics like what is prestige, what are casus belli and what are men-at-arms for those who have not played the game before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
An excerpt from the Askebyggjasaga, one of the sagas of the Icelanders, being a family chronicle following the generations of the Askeladden family. The chapter focuses not on the primary subject matter of the saga, but instead as an important background element, details the rise of Thoke af Vestrsaer in the general acclaim of the families around the region of Austrland, consolidating what had been a relatively informal set of powers held by his father into those of a formal chiefdom similar to those possessed in Norway.

Of the Quarrel of Thoke, Vali, and Bard and its Resolution

So it was at this time that Thoke, who was called af Vestrsaer ("the Northerner") for how he and his father had been the first among to cross the North Sea, grew wroth and spoke. He said: "Did my father, who you respected best among all the lawspeakers of Iceland, ever fail to seek my counsel, once I was a man fully grown? Did you not consent for me to judge in his stead when he went a-viking, summer after summer?" And to this Vali and his kinsmen could give no objection, however Bard Gunnalaugsson, who was a well known guest at Vali's homestead, replied: "Had I wished to serve a Jarl, I would have stayed in Hĺlogaland, but here in Iceland we are free men." And many could not help but think that such a thing was manfully done and cut to the truth of the matter. In response, Thoke sprang up and went away from the Hill and refused to deal with any at the Thing but Vémundr, through whom he conducted his family's business.

But in Thoke's absence there were a great many disputes that were left unresolved as the parties involved could not find one to judge them who was not busy or whom both sides could agree was fit to judge. And the matter grew worse over the course of several days, until for fear that their matters would not be resolved until the next Thing, the men and women of several households went secretly to Thoke and asked for his advice. Whereupon even though he had not been aware of the details until he was given the cases, Thoke was able to work out their end and give good counsel.

After this had happened, Angrboda came to Thoke and said: "It is not good that you feud with Vali and Bard, let me speak to them on your behalf and bring it to an end." Thoke, who respected Angrboda's counsel, agreed and said that in this she would have full authority to speak with his voice, and gave her his ring. She then went to Vali and Bard with the ring and said: "It is not good that your quarrel with Thoke has left the men of Austrland confused. Would it not be better to put this to an end?" And Vali agreed, saying that he had only hesitated because he wanted to see that the man retained good counsel even in the absence of his father, but Bard continued to insist that he would not be subject to the law of one man. "You ignore..." Angrboda coolly replied: "that it has already been made clear that this is what the people wish to be so. To obey the law of no man but oneself is to make oneself an outlaw, in spirit, if not in deed." At this Bard cursed, saying that she was a witch of a woman and that he would go south where there were less craven folk, but would not contest this thing in public.

So it was that the matter came to a close and Thoke af Vestrsaer was reconciled entirely to Vali the Brewer, and publicly to Bard Gunnalaugsson, though they continued feuding. At the end of the Thing, Thoke gave gifts to Angrboda Svartrfrigga saying that she was among the wisest of women. Many spoke of this, and of how Thoke was now preeminent among the men of Austrland in such a manner as had not been known in Iceland in those days.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 15, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Personal and hostile schemes

Those playing a character now have a variety of options when it comes to interacting between other characters in the game, both unclaimed and those controlled by another reader.

You can write what sort of schemes your character is trying to accomplish in this thread, or PM me. For example you can say you are trying to befriend character X. I will then use an RNG to see if you are succesful. There is always a base chance of success, which I am never going to reveal to you. Some personality traits may aid or hinder your chances of success, again I'm never going to reveal these modifiers to you. Most of them are obvious, for example two brave people like each other because they are brave, so there is a positive modifier. If you use common sense you should have a decent idea if you are going to get positive or negative modifiers.

You can also try to learn from another character. For example if you are a tier 1 blademaster, you can approach a tier 2 blademaster in order to become a tier 2 blademaster. You can also scheme to teach your own skill to another character.
Characters can only learn from those who have a higher tier skill than them. A character without a skill is considered trait 0, and can learn from anyone who has a higher tier skill. Personality traits or lifestyle finisher traits can't be taught, they must be received in another way. Here's a list of all learnable traits/skills.

Tier 1 and 2 of blademaster, hunter, mystic, reveler and physician. Tier 3 must be earned from somewhere else.
All commander traits.
Herbalist, gardener, witch, berserker, poet, shieldmaiden.

If you are single, you can try to court someone and eventually marry them. If you are playing a non-lowborn character and you try to court a lowborn character that is not played by anyone else, the success is greatly boosted, and any additional positive modifiers can guarantee success. I want to make it easy for people to find a spouse if they want one, and while there technically aren't any "nobles" in the true sense of the word in our realm, being "noble" currently means you or your family is distinguished or influential enough that people would be happy to marry you.
Trying to court someone who is non-lowborn follows the same rule as trying to befriend someone. I will use an RNG and see what modifiers to success you have, positive or negative.

You can also try to seduce someone, again similar rules apply. You get a bonus for trying to seduce lowborn ai characters. Bigger if they are single. People's sexualities come into play here of course.

Finally you can try to become soulmates with someone. Being a friend, married or lover increases the chances. Base success chance is practically zero if you are none of those things. A person can have many friends or lovers, but only ever one soulmate.

The above are all examples of personal schemes your characters can do, their base success chance as well as the rate at which the scheme progresses are largely tied to your diplomacy skill.

If your personal scheme is targeting another player character, they can reject which instantly fails your scheme. They can also accept which doesn't automatically mean success (as then everyone would just be constantly improving each others stats and becoming friends) but adds a positive modifier to success chance and shortens the scheme duration. The exception is courting, the scheme is immediately successful if accepted and the two characters marry.

There are of course hostile schemes. You can scheme to murder someone, frame them for being a criminal, become someone's rival, kidnap them, etc etc etc. Their base success chance as well as the rate at which the scheme progresses is largely tied to your intrigue skill. Some hostile schemes like murder have a chance of being discovered after the deed is done, again this is tied to your intrigue skill and modified by many things.

Feel free to come up with all kinds of schemes, you can RP things that are not in the game. Just mention which type your scheme is. Failing a scheme always has a chance of causing stress. An ambitious character would be more vulnerable to this, while a humble or a content person less so.

Everyone has 1 personal scheme available at all times, and 1 hostile scheme. It is possible to obtain more via lifestyle finisher traits for example.
You can choose to help someone with their scheme, be it personal or hostile. The other person gets a bonus to their success chance. This prevents you from doing a scheme of your own of that type.

If you write in this thread that you are starting a scheme targeting someone, that is considered public knowledge to everyone. If you PM me that you are starting a scheme, it is not considered public knowledge. If you want to plan a murder without getting away with it, you better plan it somewhere where people can't hear you. Of course not all hostile schemes would necessarily be considered crimes depending on the rules of our realm.

An example of a murder scheme. Player A wants to murder character X. A sends a PM to player B, asking them for help. Player B accepts. Player A sends a PM to me telling the scheme has started, and Player B sends a PM to me telling they are helping in A's scheme. No one else knows about this scheme (my ruler doesn't know as he is not aware of what PM's are sent to me).
Of course B also has the option of publicly revealing A's murder scheme to everyone by quoting his PM here. And nothing is stopping someone from falsifying a quote in order to blame someone for scheming a murder... (screenshots are not allowed as that would be hard evidence, offenders will be banned from participating and their character becomes unclaimed)

Also this is not a scheme, but a character can always choose to convert to another faith if it is present in our realm, neighboring our realm, or if there's a courtier or a landed person following that faith in our realm.

That's the gist of it, if you have questions feel free to ask in this thread.

edit. forgot the mention this but just to be clear, targeting the ruler with both personal or hostile schemes is of course possible. if you announce it in the thread it is considered public knowledge, pm me if you want to keep it a secret

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 15, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
The following are the courtiers that someone has already claimed, feel free to start planning your own schemes or interactions with other readers.

Rolando, who is played by Torakfade.

Thyra, who is played by megane.

Abdullah, who is played by Luca_024.

Erika, who is played by ZiegeDame.

Halla, who is played by Demon Of The Fall.

Sinech, who is played by ChaosStar0.

Nils, who is played by Jossar.

edit.

Angrboda, who is played by PetraCore.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 16, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Here's all the non-lowborn courtiers in our court. Anyone can claim one of these.

Thyra's sister.

Thyra's mother.

Thyra's brother.

Vigdis' mother.

Vigdis.

Ingrid's mother.

Ingrid.

Ingrid's sister.

Angrboda's mother, our spymaster.

Angrboda's brother, our chancellor.

Asleikr.

Helge.

Emund.

Hild.

Freja.

Inga, our sister.

Jorunn, our mother.

Svanhild.

Tjudmund.

Orvar, our friend.

Sigrbjörn, our godi. (he is lowborn, but as our godi he has +2 influence in factions.

There are plenty of lowborns but most of them are trash (except for our godi, luckily). You may claim any of the lowborns if you want to, but you will get penalties to your schemes against non-lowborns.
If you have a character and want to get married, you can tell me to just find a young lowborn who isn't total poo poo and I'll see what we have available.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 16, 2023

Luca_024
Dec 26, 2022
Abdullah may be well-versed in the medicinal herbs present in his home at Iberia, but this is Austrland, not Andalusia. The climate and vegetation here are much different from the ones he grew used to over his early years. If he wants to help these people to the best of his abilities, and in spite of their odd customs, he does, he'd do well in learning with local healers and wise women.

Abdullah will start a scheme to Learn Angrboda's Herbalist trait.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Chapter 2: The young and the bold, 5th of October 867 - 1st of January 868.

Thoke was listening to his council tell him of their situation and neighboring rulers.

Iceland and the small southern islands were ruled by various Norse chieftains, some of which had converted to Christianity. If the Christians formed alliances with each other it would present an existential threat to the tribe.

To the south, King Causantin II ruled Alba. He was powerful, and any raids against him would be risky as he was sure to be able to levy numerous troops to defend his lands.

Neighboring King Causantin II was Jarl Ivar the Boneless. He was young, but already famous. Thoke's council informed him that Ivar was currently waging war against the Anglo-Saxons with his brothers, who were powerful Jarls in their own right.

Irland, as the Vikings called it, was currently weak and divided. No Christian chieftain had established dominance and the area was frequently raided by Vikings.

His council knew that the situation in Norway was similar, although it was too far for them to send messengers or envoys, so they had no way of knowing what kind of men ruled those lands.

The chieftain had some money in the bank, and the people generally respected him, but he knew he would need more.

In this picture you can see our gold, prestige, piety, renown, levies and domain. You probably have a good idea of what gold is used for, but we as a tribe actually don't require too much gold. Prestige however is much more important. We need that to build our buildings and train more men-at-arms. Piety is not as important at the moment, it is needed to reform our faith which we are definitely not going to do anytime soon. It can also be used to convert to another faith, which is something we might think about in the future. At the moment though, declaring wars against fellow Asatru rulers costs piety, so it is definitely something we want to have. Finally renown is a thing that makes our dynasty better if we get a lot of it, we are currently very far from unlocking any bonuses. We have almost 700 troops available, which includes both our levies and our men-at-arms. Finally we have our domain. We are ruling 1 county, and can rule 4 before we start getting penalties. Again, not exactly anything to worry about just now.

Our marshal informs us that the new men have been trained and we are currently able to defend ourselves better, or launch raids if we want to.

Total soldiers is self-explanatory. We have 380 levies, which are generally really weak but serve as fodder and are useful for sieging. Good knights and men-at-arms slaughter levies by the hundreds, thousands even. We are able to wield six knights and I'll show them soon.

Bondi are alright. They are better than just levies, but they aren't going to beat better men-at-arms. They are however cheap, can be used to counter certain men-at-arms and can earn their cost back quickly by raiding. They have 15 attack, 20 defend and 12 pursuit. Pursuit means that if the battle is won, they will kill additional enemies. Bondi also get nerfed in hills and mountains, which sucks because Iceland is a lot of hills and mountains. Vigmen are better at fighting and have 22 screen, meaning if the battle is lost they will take reduced losses. Both bondi and vigmen get buffed in winter, as do our two other special men-at-arms that I'll show later.

Our knights, or champions, are absolutely insane. We also have 204% knight effectiveness which makes them even better. They will absolutely carry our battles until they die. This kinda makes our early game a bit unrealistically easy but we still have to be careful to not start wars against someone who has twice our army size, and because of the obfusckate mod I'm using we don't know the army size of anyone at the moment. So attacking the King of France is still an absolute suicide even if we have 30 prowess champions.

Here's what our culture and innovations look like at the moment. There is absolutely nothing we can do about any of this right now, so I'll go over our culture in more detail in a very short update that is only about culture.

The holy sites of our faith are shown here. Three of them are controlled by Asatru rulers and provide bonuses.

Here's some more details about our religion. Basically we sacrifice people to reduce unrest in our realm and can choose to worship one particular deity from the pantheon. We are also warmongers, no points if you guess what sort of things it gives us.
There's also a picture of our marriage and crime doctrines. It's okay to be gay or a witch, but don't cheat on your spouse. Deviancy is kinda weird but not a crime.

Here's our minor and major decisions. Minor are repeatable but most have a cooldown. Some major decisions are repeatable, but some are one time deals. Some of these are added by mods, and I'll go over them too in a short update, kinda like culture.

As his council spent the past couple months making sure his rule was established and debating which areas to raid as they needed both loot and the respect of the tribe, Thoke was focused on his wife.

The next day, a young messenger runs to Thoke's house, exhausted.

"Chieftain! Marshal Vigdis sent me!"

"What is it, boy?" The chieftain asks.

"It's raiders, they are approaching us from the sea!"

Thoke got on his horse and rode to meet his marhal, who had already gathered the men.

"They are our western neighbors men. The man is a fool if he thinks he can raid us, we spotted them well in advance" Vigdis says confidently.

It is indeed our neighbor, who would get absolutely annihilated from invading a mountain province with an embarkation penalty. I think we would beat an army size of 3k with those modifiers.

But the raiding party doesn't land in Austrland. Instead they land in Nordrland.

"The fools will get slaughtered by the drat Christians." Vigdis says. Thoke can tell she isn't happy to know that fellow believers of Odin are going to die. But they have no reason the help them.

Vigdis smiles. "At least we know the army strength of the Christians now."

Later that day, their scouts report that the Christians are indeed beating the raiders badly. Vigdis is noticeably angry. Thoke however sees an opportunity...

It is time for war.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 24, 2023

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Erika's first goal: Befriend Angrboda. Us witches have to stick together, after all.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Scheming and carousing seem deeply unpleasant, so Thyra is going to stay near her family and try to learn the rough terrain commander trait from her mother.

Luca_024
Dec 26, 2022
War means injured men, which means work for a physician. Abdullah will continue his scheme to learn Angrboda's Herbalist trait.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I'd like to toss my hat in to play Angrboda.

EDIT: And she'd like to befriend Abdullah if he's trying to learn from her. Could be a useful ally!

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 16, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

ZiegeDame posted:

Erika's first goal: Befriend Angrboda. Us witches have to stick together, after all.

Luca_024 posted:

War means injured men, which means work for a physician. Abdullah will continue his scheme to learn Angrboda's Herbalist trait.

PetraCore posted:

I'd like to toss my hat in to play Angrboda.

EDIT: And she'd like to befriend Abdullah if he's trying to learn from her. Could be a useful ally!

As there are already a couple personal schemes targeting player characters, I want to point out that rejecting or accepting is free. Unlike helping which uses up 1 scheme. Helping is when A decides to help B befriend C and uses up their own personal scheme. But if C accepts B's attempts at friendship, C is still able to do their own schemes.

Accepting does not make their scheme a guaranteed success, but gives a boost to success chance and shortens scheme duration. It represents your character being aware that someone wants to be your friend or wants to learn from you, and you wanting to help/also be friends.
But just as in real life, sometimes two people just don't have enough in common for them to consider each other friends, even if they initially wanted to. Or even if you decide to help them learn something, it just might end up not working out anyway. So it is not guaranteed success, but accepting does make it more likely.

Rejecting forces the other player's scheme to end in failure instantly though.

edit. what do you guys think of the picture's sizes so far? do you want bigger pictures or is it fine as is?

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jan 16, 2023

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Rolando definitely realizes that being alone in a different culture court isn't going to let him soar on the wings of his ambition. He must certainly befriend someone first, to avoid being singled out! He'd like to approach Nils since they seem to share a passion for economic things, and he seems to also be ambitious which could be cause for friction but also cause to be allied and push each other's claims/ambitions. Worth a try!

While he's at it, he might also want to do a hostile interaction - which would be using his stewardship ability to swindle some money out of some really unimportant and probably not too bright courtier who's bad with money, in order to build up a stash that could be used for bribing, gifting or any other emergency. He'd like to do it only if he thinks it's safe and he won't be executed for cheating at dice, scamming someone or things like that. (Note: I do realize that the character thinking it's safe absolutely doesn't mean that it is actually safe.)

There will be time for politicking and marrying later, right now he's got to get the basics down if he's to make a new life in this frozen island.

(It's the first time I play in such a narrative lp, if I'm doing something wrong or weirdly, point it out please :) )

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 16, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Rolando might want to keep his hostile schemes private by sending me a pm. :)

There technically aren't any laws to prevent someone from being a snake oil salesman yet, but it's easier for the Italian Stallion to scam someone out of money when he doesn't announce it in the village market. :italy:

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 16, 2023

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Finnish Flasher posted:

Rolando might want to keep his hostile schemes private by sending me a pm. :)

There technically aren't any laws to prevent someone from being a snake oil salesman yet, but it's easier for the Italian Stallion to scam someone out of money when he doesn't announce it in the village market. :italy:

Well, that makes sense. I was more thinking of targeting someone unnamed "behind the scenes" (afaik there's no way for non-rulers to get money except by random events? The only money making scheme I can think of is using hooks and the stewardship perk but that's not what I meant) but eh now the cat is out of the bag :shobon:

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Because I enjoy reading RP, those that post descriptions of how their character is coming up with ways to succeed in their schemes will get a boost. The minimum modifier is +5%, but this can be higher if the RP is very good.

Do not describe that you are successful, only the ways in which your character is preparing. You can come up with ways by looking at your own traits and that of your targets, while keeping in mind events that have happened in the game so far.

Here's an example of good RP that would earn a boost. "My compassionate and gregarious character with high diplomacy decides to try and console a mother who just lost their child."

Here's an example of bad RP that would not get a boost. "My character says something smart and the target liked it."

Entertaining and realistic RP is more likely to get a higher positive modifier. If you take into account character's personal histories and stories, even better!

TorakFade posted:

Well, that makes sense. I was more thinking of targeting someone unnamed "behind the scenes" (afaik there's no way for non-rulers to get money except by random events? The only money making scheme I can think of is using hooks and the stewardship perk but that's not what I meant) but eh now the cat is out of the bag :shobon:

Ah this makes sense, sorry. Your character is currently trying to con/scam randoms out of some coin but don't worry this information is considered unknown by everyone as he is not targeting anyone specific. If you gently caress up really bad, this might become public knowledge though, but you have decent intrigue so we'll see.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 16, 2023

Luca_024
Dec 26, 2022
Abdullah will accept Angrboda's befriend scheme, seeing benefit in getting someone with actual power to listen to him when he tells everyone to wash their hands before eating and not drink ale from the same mug. Additionally, because he has the knowledge to back his reputation as a renowned physician and Angrboda is quick and shrewd, he'll try to have a few debates comparing her practical knowledge with the theories he knows about the workings of the human body. Hopefully, that will bring him closer to understanding how the local medicinal practices work.

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

In her desire to learn the local language, Sinech will ask Angrboda for help. Reasoning that she is the best candidate due to her intelligence and calm nature.

Change is the only constant in the Multiverse.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I would like to Claim Vemunda Svartrfrigga, brother to Angrboda and by marriage, our Chief.

Proud, he is, of his sister's Seidr-skills, and he seeks to Learn from Angrboda the craft of the Witch. Listening to herb-lore and spell-lore, aiding the grunt-work carrying what is necessary but heavy where it needs to go, seeing to it that everything is accounted for and available.

He also wishes to found the Hidden Wisdom faction (Stewardship/Intrigue). To promote the study of arts and sciences for the benefit of the realm, to promote the Seidr-ways and encourage coven membership especially amongst the ruling family.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

TorakFade posted:

Rolando definitely realizes that being alone in a different culture court isn't going to let him soar on the wings of his ambition. He must certainly befriend someone first, to avoid being singled out! He'd like to approach Nils since they seem to share a passion for economic things, and he seems to also be ambitious which could be cause for friction but also cause to be allied and push each other's claims/ambitions. Worth a try!

Nils would be more than happy to accept.

He's also going to try and court Svanhild, having been fairly impressed by her bearing during Thoke's own courtship.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Chapter 3: Conquered, fertilized and killed, 2nd of January 868 - 6th of November 868.

Thoke sent messengers to fetch his councilors and his wife. All but the spymaster arrived. Apparently some cattle had died and people were suspecting some sort of illness or curse. She had stayed in the village to inspect the corpses.

The rest of his councilors gathered to listen to him.

T: We have a golden opportunity before us. The tribe of Sudrland has just lost a battle against the Christians in Nordrland. They are weakened and vulnerable. We must attack now and subjugate them.

Nils, Vemundr and Angrboda nodded their heads.

N: I fully support this plan, my chief. It will bring us much wealth and power.

Ve: I agree with Nils, my chief. This is a great opportunity for us to expand our territory.

A: I trust in your judgement, my love. Whatever you decide, I will support you.

But Sigrbjörn the Godi, and Vigdis did not agree with his plans.

S: I must object, my chief. These are fellow believers of Odin. We should not attack them.

Vi: I must agree with the Godi, my chief. It is not honorable to attack our own people, we should be attacking the Christians.

Thoke raised his voice slightly.

T: I appreciate your concerns, but I have made my decision. I am the chief, you are both questioning my authority and my judgement.

Vigdis replied immediately, also slightly raising her voice.

Vi: My chief, I am not questioning your authority. I am simply expressing my belief that this is not the right course of action.

S: I too am not questioning your authority, my chief. I am merely trying to guide you in accordance with our religion and the gods' will.

Thoke approached them, he was starting to get angry.

T: Shut up Sigrbjörn! Has Odin himself told you of his will? And Vigdis, you are my marshal, you should be supporting my decisions not questioning them!

Vigdis raised her hand, trying to diffuse the situation.

Vi: My chief, as your marshal I have a duty to speak up when I believe something is wrong. I cannot in good conscience support this attack.

Thoke got closer to his marshal, he was within arm's reach.

T: I see. If you cannot support my decisions, maybe you are not fit to be my marshal anymore.

Vigdis was silent, but didn't flinch. No one said a word. Nils and Vemundr exchanged worried glances. The chief is a skilled fighter, but there is no one in the tribe who can beat Vigdis. There might be warriors who are physically stronger, but none can match her combination of strength and agility.

Angrboda walked slowly between them and started talking with a calm voice.

A: Before we take any further actions, may I ask what you think will happen when the Christians in Vestrland hear that their neighbors are weak? Will they not take advantage of this opportunity and attack them instead?

Sigrbjörn and Vigdis were silent.

Vi: You're right, Angrboda. Vestrland would likely conquer Sudrland if we do nothing.

A: Then we have two choices. We either allow the Christians to become stronger, or we become stronger. What do you think would be best for our tribe's survival and prosperity?

Angrboda stared at Vigdis with an expressionless face. Sigrbjörn and Vigdis were at a loss for words, as they considered the implications of the witches argument. It was Nils who broke the silence.

N: Fellow councilors, if we let the Christians conquer Sudrland, we would be the only tribe left on the island that follows Odin. We would be outnumbered.

Vemundr was next to try and reason with the two councilors.

Ve: If we attack now, we will most likely quickly conquer the neighboring tribe with minimal losses on both sides. They have already lost one battle and are likely to surrender or route quickly. If you truly care for the wellbeing of our fellow believers, you should understand that we must take their tribe into our influence. Under our protection, they will be safe from the Christians. We would control half of the island, and the Christians would control half. Peace would be preserved.

Sigrbjörn and Vigdis were still silent. They were still contemplating all that had just been said.

Thoke was glad to have the support of at least some of his councilors. He tried to control his breathing, calm his anger. Maybe it was best he didn't say anything right now.

Finally Sigrbjörn spoke up.

S: I understand. We cannot let our fellow believers of Odin be conquered by the Christians. I support the plan of attack.

Then, Vigdis.

Vi: I understand the importance of protecting our tribe and faith. I support the plan of attack.

Thoke smiled, and placed his hand on his marshal's shoulder.

T: I am glad to hear it. Vigdis, gather our troops and go to Sudrland. Explain that we are taking the tribe under our protection. If they resist, show them the difference in our strength.

Vigdis takes the men and marches them to Sudrland. They resist and a fight ensues.

It goes predictably.

The war was over after the first battle but we still gotta wait out the siege. Can't wait for siege equipment...

Thoke orders his marshal to stay in Sudrland for the time being to establish control. It would take time until the people of Sudrland understood that this was a better arrangement for all of them.

Counties in CK3 have something called "control", which basically means what percentage of it's levies and taxes you get. Since we just conquered Sudrland, it's at 0 control, so completely worthless. We need to increase the control so that we actually benefit at all from conquering it.

---------------------------

A couple months after the conquest, Angrboda tells him that she has something in mind. They take a long walk in the hills, discussing life and recent events of the tribe. The people are unhappy that Angrboda's mother has not managed to figure out why the cattle are dying. Thoke says that there is growing unrest and he might be forced to replace her to calm the villagers.

A: It pains me, but don't worry. I understand. I also don't want to see mother this stressed. Let's hope Erika can help her figure out what's wrong, she is wise and I trust her.

Erika has succeeded in befriending Angrboda.

Thoke smiles at his wife.

T: Let's hope she can. Could Abdullah be of assistance? He is a wise healer after all. Haven't you been talking to him?

A: Yes I have, he has been asking me to help him understand the local plants.

T: How has it been going?

A: He still needs time, but he has made some progress. But more importantly, he is someone we can trust.

Angrboda has succeeded in befriending Abdullah.

Abdullah has made progress in learning the herbalist trait from Angrboda.

Thoke is reminded of how he couldn't make some of his councilors see his point of view.

T: I see. That is good to know. Maybe I should talk to him some more.

A: That is a good idea. We will be needing his help soon with something.

Angrboda takes his husbands hand and places it on her belly. She is smiling and looking him in the eyes.

T: Is this true my love? Are we to have a child?

A: Yes we are.

Thoke drops to his knees in front of her.

T: A child.

He hugs his wife, pressing his cheek on her belly. She strokes his hair. Suddenly she points at the night sky.

A: Look my love! The sky!

Thoke stands up and looks at the sky which is filled with bright lights.

T: The gods have given us a sign! Our child is surely blessed!

A: This is great news husband!

The two of them hug each other, happy to receive such a sign from the gods.

---------------------------

A few weeks later, Thoke is having a small meeting with Angrboda, Vemundr and Nils. He is in a good mood, discussing various things with his councilors.

T: I hear you have your eyes on Svanhild, how has that been going?

Nils laughs heartily.

N: She is warming up to me. It may take some time but I will have that woman yet, mark my words.

Nils has made progress in courting Svanhild.

The four of them are joking around and having fun. The laughter stops however, as the Godi barges in. Everyone looks at the man who is clearly angry about something.

S: This is an outrage! Chieftain, do you know what the foreigner has done?!

T: Which foreigner? What do you mean?

S: Abdullah! He has been poisoning the minds of some of the villagers!

T: Poisoning? What has he done?

S: He has been talking to some of the villagers about his god! They have abandoned our gods in favor of his!

Thoke has a feeling this will not go well.

T: How many are we talking about?

S: I've talked with five already! They told me they started asking him questions and became enchanted with his words! Something must be done!

T: And what would you have me do? The villagers are free to ask him about his god, and he is free to answer as he chooses. At least they aren't turning to Christianity. Besides, there is no one in the tribe who is as good of a healer as Abdullah. Do you understand how many lives he has saved during his time here?

S: He may have saved a few lives, but he is threatening our beliefs and traditions! I demand you exile him!

Angrboda speaks up, holding her belly with one hand.

A: No! The tribe needs his knowledge!

Vemundr glances at his sister's belly, then at Thoke, who stands up from the chieftains seat.

V: Sigbrjörn, perhaps this is-

T: Demand? You demand that I exile him?

Thoke starts walking towards the Godi.

S: Yes! He is threatening our way of life!

Thoke walks up to him and punches him in the guts, the man falls to his knees.

T: It wasn't enough that you challenged my authority earlier, now you make demands of me. What is wrong with you?

He grabs the mans head with one hand and starts pummeling his face with the other, yelling in between punches.

T: Do you think you are in a position to make demands!? I need Abdullah! My unborn child needs Abdullah! The gods gave me a sign!

He pushes the man to the floor and kicks him.

T: Get up. Get up you pig.

The Godi tries to stand up.

S: Please my chief, please listen to me, you must-

Angrboda sticks her knife in the godi's back, silencing him.

A: You fool. You are replacable. Abdullah is not.

The man falls on the floor, dying in silence.

Everyone is silent for a while.

T: Nils, you own some pigs don't you?

N: Yes, dozens of them.

T: Feed them his corpse. Don't let anyone see you. No one can know what has happened. Do you need help carrying him?

N: I have someone who can help me.

T: Can we trust him?

N: He is smart enough to not ask any questions and keep his mouth shut. We can trust him.

Rolando has succeeded in befriending Nils.

Thoke smiled at his steward.

T: Good. Go get him. You two can move him when it's dark.

Nils leaves to look for his friend. Thoke walks up to his chancellor.

T: Vemundr, my brother. I need a new Godi. Can you find someone more useful than the last one?

V: Of course my brother, leave it all to me.

As Vemundr leaves, Thoke is all alone with his wife. He hugs her and whispers in her ear.

T: I will not let anyone endanger our family, my love.

A: Me neither, my love.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 24, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
AJ_Impy, as Vemundr has been tasked with finding a new Godi, you must now make a choice. This is a list of all possible options, choose one that is best suited to serve the chieftain. If the new Godi proves to be a good choice, the chieftain is surely going to be happy with you. Let's just hope the new Godi won't make the same mistakes that the last one did...

(In case you haven't played CK3 before, the last skill on the right is the one associated with being a good Godi. Ignore those that are already councilors)

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

Vigdis' sister, Signy, is now available for grabs. Or for scheming.

Also Sinech has made progress in her scheme to learn the Norse language, Thyra has made progress in her scheme to learn a commander trait and Vemundr has made progress in his scheme to learn the witch trait.

There is a bit over 3 years until the next Ting, where the chieftain will listen to what the factions demand. Currently the factions are:

Luca_024 posted:

I'd like to Create the Faction for the Betterment of Austrland, tied to the Attributes of Learning and Stewardship. For now, its only suggestion will be to Save up money and build Trading Outposts, hoping to kick off a spiral of ever-increasing revenue and development.

TorakFade posted:

Rolando feels pretty confused by all these weird people and their weird habits, nevermind their language. He knows he won't go anywhere if he stays hidden in the shadows though, and his ambition makes him step forward to create a faction of warlike raiders for profit (Martial/Stewardship); he knows his way around a ledger and how to organise construction sites, but he is not so sure about his martial abilities, but hey, can't be much more difficult than swordfighting right? :v: hopefully someone will step in and provide some of the needed martial knowledge in case.

So the gist of it should be build more buildings, do so by raiding and sacking people I guess. Quicker than saving up!

e: or works towards doing so, since it's not possible to do it right away, missed that bit sorry :shobon:

AJ_Impy posted:

I would like to Claim Vemunda Svartrfrigga, brother to Angrboda and by marriage, our Chief.

He also wishes to found the Hidden Wisdom faction (Stewardship/Intrigue). To promote the study of arts and sciences for the benefit of the realm, to promote the Seidr-ways and encourage coven membership especially amongst the ruling family.

ChaosStar0 posted:

I propose the Diplomat faction which focuses on Diplomacy and Learning.

Edit: Oh, right Suggestions. Form alliances with nearby powerful rulers.

To fix a possible exploit where someone creates a faction, then immediately switches to another, destroying the faction they created and forcing a cooldown, the one who created the faction can't leave it if they are the only person in it.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 18, 2023

Luca_024
Dec 26, 2022
I was ready to have Abdullah defend himself with that B in Diplomacy, but uh... that problem solved itself, I guess

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Sensing the importance of insinuating herself in a growing faction of influence, Erika lends her support to the Hidden Wisdom faction, and in order to further the witchcraft-based goals of the faction offers to assist Vemundr's efforts to become a Witch by teaching him some of her eastern rituals for uncovering hidden truths.

As an aside, I'm not entirely familiar with how languages work in CK3 but I've been operating under the assumption that Erika has been in the custody of viking traders for enough years at this point that she'd speak Norse well enough. If that's not the case I should probably get around to learning that at some point.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

ZiegeDame posted:

Sensing the importance of insinuating herself in a growing faction of influence, Erika lends her support to the Hidden Wisdom faction, and in order to further the witchcraft-based goals of the faction offers to assist Vemundr's efforts to become a Witch by teaching him some of her eastern rituals for uncovering hidden truths.

As an aside, I'm not entirely familiar with how languages work in CK3 but I've been operating under the assumption that Erika has been in the custody of viking traders for enough years at this point that she'd speak Norse well enough. If that's not the case I should probably get around to learning that at some point.

Currently Erika does not speak fluent norse, but considering she has made a friend in Angrboda and already converted to Asatru, we can go ahead and assume she has basic vocabulary. If you start a language scheme, she will have already made some progress in that.

I will assume you want to help Vemundr instead of teaching him yourself? By helping you are increasing the success chances of the existing scheme in which he has made some progress already, but teaching is technically considered a separate scheme and would start from scratch.

Forgot to mention of course but everyone who succeeded in their schemes can obviously go ahead and start new ones. You can always abandon your schemes too, if you want you can ask me how much progress has been made and I will give a vague answer to how close your character believes to be in accomplishing the scheme.

Also a little info about families and children. If your character has children, you will get to make similar choices during their education than the player makes in educating their own. You can choose what kind of personality traits your children get. Or you can request another player character to do that if you think they will give them a better education (those skilled in diplo will for example boost the kids chances of getting a higher tier diplo education).
When your character inevitably dies, you'll play as one of your children. This makes it possible for you to spend time teaching your children your own skills like witch, herbalist etc and create some pretty good kids. You can also choose to play as someone completely new, but then your kids, and their potential titles, are up for grabs by everyone else.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jan 18, 2023

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Vémundr Svartrfrigga, Chancellor

I thank you for the honour and trust of this task, my liege. I have looked over the candidates, and it strikes me that we may be able to send a powerful message with our choice. Our... unfortunately absent prior Godi had some ill-fitting views on learning from beyond our shores: What better way to be seen to repudiate them, than to choose one taken from far lands, and immersed in our culture and ways? One proven by their learning, gifted with craft and guile.

My liege, call forth Erika Liu as our next Godi.

______

Vémundr sees Erika's insinuating power play, and approves. He will gladly accept her help to further his studies, and will strengthen the faction by empowering her.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Finnish Flasher posted:

Chapter 3: Conquered, fertilized and killed

S: Please my chief, please listen to me, you must-

Angrboda sticks her knife in the godi's back, silencing him.

A: You fool. You are replacable. Abdullah is not.

The man falls on the floor, dying in silence.

Everyone is silent for a while.

:eyepop:

Rolando doesn't yet have more than a tenuous grasp on the Norse language, but he's practicing and learning new words everyday, enough to hold basic conversations - and a few of those conversations with Nils went very well; while Rolando's still not sure if this will be a long-lasting thing, for now he thinks he can count on him. A few days later, a child runs up to him - and tells him "Nils need you" and points to the longhouse, then runs off. Rolando doesn't understand why he would be needed there, but no matter what - he wants to prove himself to be available for his new friend, and if he called for him there must have been a good reason. Another chance to solidify this budding friendship! Later on he'll try to actually learn the language enough to have a full on conversation, but clearly there's other matters of importance first.

When arriving at the longhouse, after meeting Nils and having to promise confidentiality which he gladly confirms, he is brought before a thing he hadn't seen in a while - a murdered corpse, with a deep knife wound to the back, which he is asked to help "make disappear". Apparently, it's the tribe's priest. Rolando doesn't care much about religion and has seen his share of beatings and killings so he's not exactly fazed, but this is still... quite worrying. If a high-ranking courtier like the Godi was murdered and they're just tossing his body away so unceremoniously... what could happen to a stranger, only recently arrived at the tribe and without a position? He must definitely tread carefully around here so he decides it's best not to ask, not to tell, and just provide the help which is needed.

"Nils, my friend, please bring me a couple of wooden boxes big enough to fit those feet. And some limestone powder and water, for mixing cement... don't worry, it's not my first time. The body will be hidden and forgotten, and shortly no one will even remember. I'll just need a little help carrying it to that out of the way cliff, overlooking the sea..."

Once the deed is done, they part ways and Rolando starts thinking about death, which apparently comes fast and loose around these parts. He has a friend now, and his position is getting more solid by the day, but friendships can end and Thoke clearly isn't a forgiving, soft type. He must do better than this - he must start a family, ideally with a local woman to be even more integrated, and if something happens to him the family name will at least live on. His understanding of Norse is shaky but he's pretty sure he heard some of the women say his name, that he's Italian, and the word "stallion" in the same phrase, which is a welcome boost to his confidence; having followed closely the courtship and eventual wedding of Thoke, he wants to try his hand at winning over one of the ladies left behind by the chief, thinking that if he can score such a desirable lady, his prestige inside the tribe will surely rise. He thus would like to court Ingrid and try to win her heart, because she is very pretty, seems to have a sweet and easy disposition, everyone in the tribe seem to hold her in high regards due to her friendly and diplomatic nature, and she tends her own garden - Rolando puts on a tough act, but he terribly misses the flowers and gardens of Italy, at least if he can manage to woo Ingrid they'll have a home full of beautiful flowers (even if he has to sail back to Europe to get them!) rather than moss and lichens which seem to be the only plant growing naturally here. Actually, he's going to rifle through his meager possessions to see if he saved some dried Italian flowers from his earlier travels, that would make an ideal gift to start this courtship...

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 18, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Erika has been summoned to see the chief and his councilors.
As she is a player character, ZiegeDame must now either accept or reject the position.

----------

Having considered the language question, it would make sense that people learn a language passively, but if you actively choose to learn it you get either a success chance boost or a shorter duration, maybe both.

Succeeding in personal schemes will advance your language skills.

Since I mentioned that Abdullah was captured in a raid long ago and has served the tribe as healer even back when Thoke's father was chief, he speaks fluent Norse. He is also a genius, which would have helped him learn.

Rolando, Halla and Erika are not fluent, but considering they have all managed to make a friend, they speak some Norse but are not actively learning it.

Sinech is actively learning Norse so will progress faster.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Well, this was certainly an unexpected turn of events. Erika was prepared to prove her value and earn her life with her great intelligence, but that these people would invite her to speak for their gods? Well, no sense letting an opportunity go to waste.

Erika bowed before Thoke, the formal words of the Norse tongue still awkward in her mouth. "My chieftain, I exist only to serve. If it is your will, I would be honored to speak for the gods on your behalf. I humbly accept."

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Buildings, culture and decisions (and our other, fancier men-at-arms)

This update is only showing some game mechanics, if you are a veteran CK3 player you're gonna know all of this except for the stuff added by mods.

Let's start with buildings. As a tribe, we have four general buildings we can build, along with our tribal fort. All of them have tier 1 and tier 2 versions. For now I'll just post the tier 1 versions of the general buildings and both versions of the tribal fort.

Fort level makes enemies have to siege longer, defender advantage means we are buffed when fighting in the county, levies are troops and garrison means enemies must have at least that many men to siege us.
It also makes spearmen and archers better. Our bondi and vigmen are spearmen and archers, so this would be pretty cool. I usually try to build this at least in my capitol as well as some defensible terrain counties.

War camps give us levies, one more knight, make all of our knights better, and boost men-at-arms types which we currently don't have. This is a straight up warmonger building, and it's pretty good at it. :black101:

Levies, control and prestige. I usually build these in newly conquered counties if they lack them and I have extra money/prestige. The monthly prestige is also nice, it'll only take 63 years for it to pay itself back :)

It's money. You like money? I like money. Also supply limit :lol:

We currently don't have any of these buildings in our two counties. Also we have 40 gold and make 1.4/month so it'll take a while to build a lot of them. But we're going raiding next update so that'll help.

This is a tier 1 tribal hold. Every tribal county has one of these, so we already have the things it gives us.

This is the tier 2 version. As you can see it's a pretty good improvement. Money, fort level, levies. Not bad. It's expensive though, and I usually don't build these unless I'm swimming in money and prestige and don't plan on using Varangian CB to move to richer lands anytime soon. But if we plan on staying in Iceland for a while then it's a must have obviously.

Our recently conquered county of Sudrland also has a SPECIAL BUILDING. We didn't know this was there before we conquered it. drat Sudrland, hiding a volcano from our scouts. As far as special buildings go it's definitely weak, but at least it's flavor for Iceland and it's free.

Speaking of Iceland. Here's our duchy title which currently doesn't exist.

If we want to create it we need to own one more province in Iceland and then a lot more money. It gives us prestige and I think it also gives more knight and men-at-arms capacity.

-----------------------------

Now let's talk a little bit about culture.

Our ethos is bellicose. This gives us bonuses to warfare. This coupled with some other things make us pretty good at going to war and conquering other places. There are 7 ethos in total but let's look at them some other time, it's not exactly relevant to us yet.

We have north germanic heritage and we speak norse. Both of those give us an opinion boost with other cultures that have the same. Currently there are exactly 0 other cultures that have either of those. But I'm sure Hastein is going to form a hybrid anytime now so we can maybe be buddies with them.

We have some traditions, which I'll copy paste from the CK3 wiki.

The last one is added by RICE. I'm not going to go over each one of them as the wiki is pretty clear imo, but if there is something you want to know more about you can always ask.

You may notice we also have an option to diverge culture. If we wanted to create a better Norse with blackjack and hookers, we could.

Every culture also has a cultural head, the one who controls the most counties of that culture. Luckily, Björn Ironside has C learning. Which is good because as the cultural head he gets to choose what innovations we get.

Please go for Onagers you idiot... :negative:

Each innovation has a small chance of making a little progress every month based on the average development in that culture's counties. Björn Ironside is currently fascinated by City Planning, boosting it's speed greatly, while the culture is exposed to Ledger which also gets a boost. It's possible to pick the exposed innovation as a fascination which will make it go hyperspeed.

We also have three innovations unlocked because of our traditions or because our culture is located in certain geographical regions. All-things is whatever but Longships and Varangian Adventurers are excellent.

Longships allow us to be a menace and raid the entire world while Varangian Adventurers give us unmatched flexibility and options in the tribal era. It unlocks the Varangian Adventure Casus Belli.

Varangian Adventure CB let's us target a duchy title anywhere within our diplomatic range and go to war for it. If we win, we say goodbye to everything we own and move to a new location. Why would you ever do that, someone might ask. Well, maybe you don't want to hold on to your lovely 2 development counties in Scandinavia but want to conquer some ~20 development lands in Iberia or Greece? Then you can hybridize your culture with the locals, and become the cultural head of a brand new culture. You also get to choose between the ethos, pillars and traditions of both cultures and you get ALL the innovations of both cultures. This is what makes Vikings the kings of flexibility imo. Also to help you in your initial conquest of a rich duchy, using the Varangian Adventure CB gives you bonus men-at-arms for each same faith and culture county in Mainland Scandinavia you hold.

It mentions Varangian Veterans and Huscarls there.

Huscarls are good, they have much better attack and defense than either bondi or vigmen, they have good screen, they don't get nerfs in any penalty, they counter bondi and vigmen and they get buffed in winter. Solid, good men-at-arms.

Varangian Veterans are insane, they have even more attack and defense, they have pursuit instead of screen, which is good because they never lose battles, they have buffs in common terrain, no terrain nerfs, winter buffs, and they counter some dangerous men-at-arms. They are imo the best men-at-arms in the tribal era. As far as I'm aware there is nothing that Christians can use right now that deals with these guys cost-effectively. Muslims have Mubarizun, which unfortunately counter these, so we would have to be careful if attacking them.

Both of these are much more expensive than bondi or vigmen, and also much, much more powerful.

Finally we have some decisions. Let's start with the major ones.

Edit. I completely forgot the minor ones, i'll show them off in the next update

I don't currently feel like spending prestige on this since we don't really need to increase popular opinion but it's there. We also have a chance to make our landed vassals (which we don't have) and our Godi like us more. That is not worth 200 prestige at the moment, I'd rather make more men-at-arms.

Runestones are dope, we spend some money to get a county-specific modifier for a long time. Useful if you conquer a rich duchy for example and want to relocate your capitol. Just pop a conquest runestone and get that control up. At the moment though, 50 gold could be used to build a building that does better things.

We can adopt feudalism at some point but there's no rush yet. Being a tribal is currently pretty good.

I believe this is added by RICE. We can start exploring the seas if we want to.

This should form the Icelandic culture but for some reason it says Evenk. Evenk is a dead culture with no counties or people. I am not sure what is causing this bug. If this is something that the thread decides to do I can use console commands to do the same things that this event does and remove 50 gold from myself.
Forming Icelandic culture would have its pros and cons. Instead of having some dumb Jarl with F learning decide our innovations we can become the dumb Jarl with F learning that decides our innovations.
At the moment I think establishing Icelandic culture would be a net detriment since the development in Iceland is absolute trash. But let's say we increase our development by raiding Europe until we would have higher average dev than rest of Scandinavia, well then it would look a lot better.

We can also try to forge the Jomsvikings if we really want to bring the pain to the Christians. And Muslims. And everyone basically.

Lastly there's the decision to unite England, Norway and Denmark into the North Sea Kingdom. I can't even begin to describe how far away we are from doing this so I won't even talk about it.

That's it this time, I wanted to have a non-story update that focused on these things for those that haven't played CK3 or haven't played much of it. Maybe some of these things can be useful if you're considering what sort of demands you want to make of our chieftain in the next Ting.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 19, 2023

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The most irritating thing about North Sea is you need to hold each INDIVIDUAL title for at least 30 years. No small feat for a barely organized fleet of rampaging vikings!

And yes the Vinland/Greenland stuff is RICE, it's an entire mod-original Struggle, and it's a PAIN IN THE rear end just like the Iberia struggle can be.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
The chieftain has decided that it is time for the tribe to start raiding to gain both loot and respect.

He has called a meeting with all his councilors, his best military commanders, knights with high prowess and those that he thinks might have something useful to add to the discussion.

For player characters this includes, in no particular oder:

Rolando, who is played by Torakfade. Due to his knowledge about the Mediterranean, his suggestion gets a +1 vote if the title has a shore in the sea.

Thyra, who is played by megane. She is shy but the chieftain knows she is a good military commander. She is also zealous and her suggestion gets a +1 vote if the majority of the area is Christian, as they are currently our main enemies in our struggle for control of Iceland.

Abdullah, who is played by Luca_024. Due to being a compassionate healer, he is not exactly a proponent of raiding. But he understands that it would benefit the tribe. He is not directly advocating for a raid, but the chieftain will listen to him if he suggests to spare a region. His suggestion will count as -3 votes against an area due to being a genius, speaking fluent norse and being trusted by the chief. Keep in mind that suggesting to spare a region that someone else is advocating to be raided has the potential to cause strife...

Erika, who is played by ZiegeDame. As the spymaster her suggestion automatically gets a +1.

Nils, who is played by Jossar. As the steward his suggestion automatically gets a +1.

Angrboda, who is played by PetraCore. As our wife she automatically has a +2 modifier to her suggestion.

Vémundr, who is played by AJ_Impy. As our chancellor, and being of the Svartrfrigga house he also gets a +2 modifier to his suggestion.

All of you are free to to come up with a suggestion on which region to raid. Name an Empire level title for our target region. You don't get to see the actual in game map because we are located in the arse end of the world and only know a little bit about Britannia, but have heard of the names of some rich regions. You can also support someone else's suggestion. The other characters present in the meeting won't make any suggestions of their own, but they will support your suggestions if they like you or if you make a convincing argument. Keep in mind that while there might definitely be rich areas far away, our supplies might become an issue the further we get.

None of you have to suggest anything, if there are no suggestions then the chieftain will decide himself. This is a chance to gain favors with the chief however, as he is surely to be happy if the raids go well. Let's just hope the raids do in fact go well...

---------------

I'll give you all some time to come up with a suggestion or support someone else's. Let's say that the deadline until I start playing the next session is 24 hours.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 19, 2023

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Vémundr Svartrfrigga, Chancellor

"My brother and my liege, as chancellor it rests on me to consider not only what we may gain, but also what it may cost. Our ships are well-built, our warriors hardy, fierce and proven in battle. We will earn the gild of our raids through the strength of our arms and the bravery of our leaders. But as all of that might is gaining plunder abroad, making us rich and feared, it isn't here. So, while we will not fear any to the south and east, from the far realms whence our Godi came, to the self-styled empires at the far end of the middle sea, the better option is striking closer to home."

Vémundr points firmly at Britannia.

"Here are countless lesser islands where we might exploit our advantage in ships. Even the mainlands, greater and lesser, we may travel swifter by sea and up river than inland forces. They are closest to our home, so our ships laden with plunder will be surer to bring it back. let us go here first, and build up yet greater strength for further ventures."

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jan 19, 2023

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Erika nods along with the Chancelor's words. "Vémundr speaks well. While our men are raiding, they cannot protect our home. With Christians still at our back, we should raid closer to home. We can strike quickly, and more quickly return with our spoils to put them to use. Britania is the best target." Those who know her well can hear Erika's paranoia showing through.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Rolando thinks about it for a while, but in the end decides that it's way too early for him to go back to anywhere near Italy and it would be a very long and risky raid, and he isn't ready to suggest something that could fail and drive the chief to anger, especially if he's the only one suggesting it...

He thus shows support for the chancellor's plan to raid Britannia. It's close, rich in plunder and everyone else is pillaging it so why should we leave the spoils to them?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

With obvious reluctance, Thyra speaks up, not looking anyone in the eyes: "The corpse-worshippers in Britannia are a good target for now, yes. Mother says they fill their temples with gold and silver and then just leave it there, guarded by nothing but old godis. We should be sure to bring back one or two of those as well, as gifts for Odin."

"They are weaklings, though. If we wish to show our strength, we should fight the Franks... or Rolando's people." She considers the vague blob on the map that represents the Mediterranean, speckled with islands. "Mm. It's a long way, though. A long time to be on the sea. Perhaps we could find an island somewhere in the southern waters where our people can settle; we could use it as a base for raiding." She cracks her knuckles. "I bet some of those Christ-godis would know a good place."

Luca_024
Dec 26, 2022
Abdullah's semblance seems a little more downcast than usual. He's a healer, not a fighter, and knowing raids are a necessary evil doesn't mean he has to enjoy them. That being said, he has no reason to go against the decision to raid Britannia. He raises his eyes from the map reluctantly and speaks with calm and conviction.
"It is wise to sail against the Christians of Britannia. They claim to worship a man of love and compassion, but quickly turn to treason and brutality when facing those of differing ideals. Crippling their armies now means they are less likely to threaten us in the future, and raiding closer to home will make it much easier to treat those who may end up wounded. Compare this to the Ummah in Hispania, which is much more organized and powerful; they are ones with which trade is more valuable than war, while the worshippers of Isa show little interest in anything but our lives."

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Seems to be pretty unanimous for Britannia, I'll go ahead and play for a while.

I'm trying to not play too far ahead so people don't have periods of time where they aren't doing any schemes. If people want to we could allow for queueing schemes. You can tell me your character wants to:

Befriend x
Learn blademaster from y
Seduce z

In that order. That way I can play a bit longer ahead. Then when I do an update you can of course adjust your schemes. What do you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Finnish Flasher posted:

Seems to be pretty unanimous for Britannia, I'll go ahead and play for a while.

I'm trying to not play too far ahead so people don't have periods of time where they aren't doing any schemes. If people want to we could allow for queueing schemes. You can tell me your character wants to:

Befriend x
Learn blademaster from y
Seduce z

In that order. That way I can play a bit longer ahead. Then when I do an update you can of course adjust your schemes. What do you think?

I am not really getting a sense of how time is passing in game, but this sounds like a good idea.

Rolando, after courting Ingrid as stated, plans to learn Architect from his friend Nils. Then it's time to learn Norse, subject to seeing what will happen....