Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
The past two updates have both covered roughly 10 months of in game time. I just played a bit of a longer session where I raided in Britannia and came back to Iceland, and it took 13 months. Some schemes can be completed in as short of a time as 6 months if the schemer is both skilled and gets lucky, while some can easily stretch for over a year.

I don't see any problem with having the queue system so for now I think we'll roll with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luca_024
Dec 26, 2022

Finnish Flasher posted:

Seems to be pretty unanimous for Britannia, I'll go ahead and play for a while.

I'm trying to not play too far ahead so people don't have periods of time where they aren't doing any schemes. If people want to we could allow for queueing schemes. You can tell me your character wants to:

Befriend x
Learn blademaster from y
Seduce z

In that order. That way I can play a bit longer ahead. Then when I do an update you can of course adjust your schemes. What do you think?

That sounds like a good idea. After learning Herbalist from Angrboda, Abdullah will try to get Mystic from her as well. I'm not sure if we can choose which perks to get from Factions, but in case we are, he'll be focusing on Scholar, as well.

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

After Sinech finishes learning the Norse Language, she's going to try to become the Court Tutor.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I suppose after helping Vemundr become a witch, Erika would turn to properly learning Norse

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

TorakFade posted:

Rolando, after courting Ingrid as stated, plans to learn Architect from his friend Nils. Then it's time to learn Norse, subject to seeing what will happen....

Didn't notice this first but unfortuntely architect is a lifestyle finisher and can't be learned or taught. You need to be lucky in the faction improvement rolls to get that one, or become landed and get it the vanilla way. Of course right now I can't land you since we need to be a Duke to create a County level vassal and we are not there yet.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Finnish Flasher posted:

Didn't notice this first but unfortuntely architect is a lifestyle finisher and can't be learned or taught. You need to be lucky in the faction improvement rolls to get that one, or become landed and get it the vanilla way. Of course right now I can't land you since we need to be a Duke to create a County level vassal and we are not there yet.

Ok then let's switch that out and, after courting Ingrid, Rolando will try to learn Norse, then learn blademaster level 2 from one of the courtiers that has it (I am pretty sure I saw several - Emund looks like a fierce enough warrior and he is also diligent...), sparring to prepare himself for the coming raids.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jan 20, 2023

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Vemundr would reciprocate Erika's help once learned in Seidrcraft and help her become fluent in Norse. It is possible this might draw them closer.

Ziegedame, any objections to the Chancellor and Godi pursuing a marital tie?

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

AJ_Impy posted:

If you become married and have kids you can choose between each other who gets to play as which.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

AJ_Impy posted:

No objections here.

Out of character: Vermundr is marrying a vengeful and paranoid witch. Let's hope nothing happens that makes him regret it! :D

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Chapter 4: A new Gydja, a new life and new plans, 7th of November 868 - 16th of January 870.

Thoke is presented with Vemundr's new choice for a Gydja. The woman is eager and accepts her new position. Thoke does not know the woman personally but he knows of her, as she has adopted their gods and has befriended his wife. She is even considered a Seiðr, which is sure to make the villagers happy.

T: You may rise, Erika. Congratulations on your new position as the tribe's Gydja, I hope you will serve the tribe well.

E: Thank you, my chief. I am honored to have been chosen by the gods to serve our tribe.

Thoke makes a toast and is joined by Vemundr.

T&V: To the new Gydja!

The new Gydja is skilled and the tribe takes a liking to her, she speaks of the gods like a true Norse would.

With this new Gydja there is an increasing amount of skilled, capable and influential Seiðr in the tribe. Many villagers fear the women, who spend a lot of time together. Who knows what they are doing or talking about?

Thoke however, is glad to have the Seiðr. Vemundr seems to agree, for he has been spending more and more time with all three of them. He apparently wants to learn from them.

The women take him to see the mountain in Sudrland, they say it is an important place where we are closer to the gods. Hopefully his training goes well, new Seiðr are always welcome.

Finally it is time for the child to be born, Abdullah is present to help with the birth.

It's a son! Angrboda has a name in mind, they name him after Thoke.

T: I'm sure he will go on to do great things.

A: Of course he will, the gods gave us a sign.

After the birth of his son, the chieftain decides to train more soldiers, he has decided it's time for the tribe to start raiding again. They have recuperated from his father's death and have conquered Sudrland. New bondi and vigmen are trained, and he has a meeting with his councilors and commanders, along with Abdullah whose opinion he has started to value more and more. Everyone unanimously agrees to go raid Britannia, with Vemundr, Erika, Thyra and Abdullah all making good points. It makes sense, they don't know much about the rest of the world south from Britannia, apart from the fact that there are powerful rulers there.

They don't even know everything about Britannia, but they have to start somewhere.

Thyra and Vigdis are both excited to go after the Christians, and have been talking to the new Gydja to gain blessings from the gods. It seems the fierce shieldmaidens approve of Erika. Luckily they don't know the exact details of what happened to the last one.

Vigdis has been training the champions for the raid.Thoke is very pleased, they are all impressive and capable fighters and will surely make the Christians weep and flee in terror.

Before they leave, Thoke appoints a bodyguard for his wife and son. The man is an idiot, but he is a good fighter. He gives the man clear instructions that he is never to take orders from anyone besides Thoke and his wife. Surely even an idiot will understand such a simple rule.

They sail towards Irland, thinking that the king of Alba is too powerful and they don't want to raid Jarl Ivar.

They raid a local tribe, and capture the chieftains two sons and his nephew, along with a few other prisoners. They are important captives and will be ransomed for money.

They then hear that the local chieftains are fighting a war. They can clearly see the strength of one of their armies and immediately attack as they have the numbers.

The Irish are weak, craven warriors. They get slaughtered almost to the last man.

Afterwards they find great loot and take some important prisoners.

Usually tribal holdings have 15 gold, this one has triple that. We might be coming back here later.

The chief they just captured immediately pays for his wife's release, but the chieftain and his brother are taken away. The loot they plundered from the chieftain's tribe is enough to fill their boats to the brim, and Thoke orders the boats sail back home.

While in Britannia, they heard about Jarl Halfdan, one of the famous brothers who waged war on the Anglo-Saxons. Apparently he has conquered a piece of the islands for himself. Thoke sends out a messenger, offering his sister's hand in marriage to the Jarls eldest son.

The boats sail back to Austrland, bringing back loot and fame.

They are greeted with joyous news back home.

Soon after they get back home, a messenger arrives. The marriage offer has been accepted. Thoke has secured his first alliance.

Thoke starts negotiating for ransoms with his prisoners. Chieftain Congalach pays a hefty price for his own freedom, but he wasn't able to meet the demands for his own brother, who stays behind in chains. Congalach is understandably furious at having to leave his brother and heir to the northerners.

Chieftain Áed pays for the release of his younger son. He was willing to offer everything he had for his heir but Thoke informed him that everything he had was unfortunately not enough. Of course he'd ransom him eventually but he would rather take twice the amount of gold in a few years if that was a possibility.

They had captured others who were related to the chieftain, but they weren't apparently important enough because he told them he would not be paying for their ransoms.

After counting all the loot they raided as well as the ransoms they already received, Thoke was overjoyed. There was a large feast with all the commanders and champions present, as well as all his councilors. The raid had been a complete success, Thoke announced a second raid would take place as soon as possible. They would bleed the Christians of Britannia dry! But first there were celebrations that lasted for a week.

Before planning their next raids, Thoke wanted to know more about the islands. He wanted to know everything about Britannia, but also about the southern realms past that. So he had a plan. He invited Thyra and Vigdis to see him. He was glad that his angry outbursts towards his marshal seemed to be forgotten after their successful raids in Britannia.

T: Ah, my finest commanders! I have a task for you. To prepare for our next raid in Britannia, we need more information about the islands. Chieftain Áed won't pay for the release of his kinsman Uroman. At first I thought we'll just sacrifice him for Odin, but I had another idea.

V: What is it?

T: I want the two of you two interrogate him. Use one of the soldiers who speaks a little bit of their language to help you. Make sure he tells you everything he knows.

The women both nodded.

T: Oh, and use Helge to help you, he is already with the prisoner.

The women both made a face.

V: I hate that man.

T: Yeah yeah I know what he is. But I've told him to obey your commands during the interrogation. Just make sure he doesn't kill him until we are sure he has told us everything he knows. I'm counting on you two, can you do it?

The women glanced at each other, then back to him.

"Of course." Thyra said.

----------------------------

Between their raid and the amount of time it took to get back, a couple of children in influential families had grown into adults.

I'll also show the teenagers as well, since AJ_Impy can decide their marriages as the head of the family until they turn 20. I'll also show off all of Vigdis' and Ingrid's siblings.

One of them was the chancellor's sister, a kind and trusting woman who knew her worth as a Svartrfrigga. As head of the family, we'll see if the chancellor decides to look for a marriage for his sister or not.

The chancellor's younger brother was smart, but lazy. He had gotten used to living the easy life, being the little brother of the chancellor and the chieftain's wife as well as the son of the spymaster. Like his middle sister, Snorri was also kind.

The youngest of the Svartrfrigga siblings however... She resembled her eldest sister.

Our sister had grown into a respected, well-spoken woman. Funny how our other sister grew into an arbitrary sadist. Well, we still managed to marry her off to the heir of a powerful Jarl. Maybe Síg will also find a respected husband at some point.

Our brother Árni had also grown into a fine young man. But the thought of avenging his father consumed him. He spoke of nothing but bringing death to the Christians in the southern lands. What he lacked in strength, he made up for in bravery. He wasn't ready to be taken for a raid anytime soon though.

Ingrid's brother had also grown into a fine man, while her other brother and sister were almost adults.

Ásta may have looked exactly like her older sister, but the two were not exactly alike. While our marshal was focused on training our armies and champions to wage war against the Christians, her sister seemed to be focused on seducing as many important men as she could. Surely she won't do anything stupid though...

Ljótr showed great promise. He was smart, strong, brave and already a capable warrior. He would surely be helpful in our future raids.

21 prowess on a 13 year old calm down son.

Brynjólfr was still young, but he had at least picked up his oldest sister's work ethics.

----------------------

As for schemes, Thyra finished her scheme to learn a trait, Abdullah finished his scheme to learn a trait, Rolando has made progress in his courting scheme, Nils finished his courting scheme, Vemundr finished his scheme to become a witch and Erika finished her scheme to help him, Sinech made progress in her scheme to learn the language.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 24, 2023

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

If anyone tells Sinech that the Irish are weak she will narrow her eyes, but otherwise say nothing. She is proud of her Irish heritage, but despises the Christians who ran her family away from Ireland for still worshipping the old Gods.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Vémundr Svartrfrigga, Chancellor

Vémundr wants a good marriage for his sister Alvor, someone of renown who will treat her well. Snorri, grown comfortable, needs a fierce wife, a warrior who will keep him on his toes, someone who will complement his fine mind. Gudrun, we'll see how she develops.

For his own schemes, Seducing or romancing Erika to strengthen their bond, then Spreading Witchcraft as a default, prioritising family, then those in power.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

Luca_024 posted:

That sounds like a good idea. After learning Herbalist from Angrboda, Abdullah will try to get Mystic from her as well. I'm not sure if we can choose which perks to get from Factions, but in case we are, he'll be focusing on Scholar, as well.

Scholar is unfortunately not something you can specifically focus on getting, but I'll keep in mind that it is what your character will get if they roll well in the faction improvement rolls. I think it's a good idea to let people choose which lifestyle finisher they get if they roll well.

AJ_Impy posted:

Vémundr Svartrfrigga, Chancellor

Vémundr wants a good marriage for his sister Alvor, someone of renown who will treat her well. Snorri, grown comfortable, needs a fierce wife, a warrior who will keep him on his toes, someone who will complement his fine mind. Gudrun, we'll see how she develops.

For his own schemes, Seducing or romancing Erika to strengthen their bond, then Spreading Witchcraft as a default, prioritising family, then those in power.

Btw you of course have the option of arranging a matrilineal marriage for your sisters. In game this could be reasoned that their spouse is not nearly as distinguished as a Svartrfrigga so their children would clearly want to be considered as part of their mother's dynasty, rather than their fathers. This has the benefit of increasing your house's numbers, but of course a patrilineal marriage can help the chancellor arrange alliances with powerful people.

----------------

Also people who are now married, meaning Vemundr, Erika and Nils, you can come up with names for your kids if you want to, just post them here if you want a specific name.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 21, 2023

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Finnish Flasher posted:

Btw you of course have the option of arranging a matrilineal marriage for your sisters. In game this could be reasoned that their spouse is not nearly as distinguished as a Svartrfrigga so their children would clearly want to be considered as part of their mother's dynasty, rather than their fathers. This has the benefit of increasing your house's numbers, but of course a patrilineal marriage can help the chancellor arrange alliances with powerful people.

Matrilineal unless the match is significantly more powerful, and of benefit to the realm. (Which currently it wouldn't be, given Svartrfriggas are unlanded?)

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

AJ_Impy posted:

Matrilineal unless the match is significantly more powerful, and of benefit to the realm. (Which currently it wouldn't be, given Svartrfriggas are unlanded?)

Yep for now you can't get an alliance, you would need to become landed first. I'll look for a non-lowborn man between 16-29 who:

- Agrees to a matrilineal marriage (or comes to my court so I can force them).
- Has traits like compassionate, kind, honest, trusting since your sister has two of those.
- Gives your sister prestige.
- Has good congenital traits.

If there's a lot of men that fit the bill I can PM you so you can choose between them.

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Sinech is passively searching for a husband while doing her schemes, of course. She also wouldn't be averse to taking female lovers. She prefers a Kind or Compassionate man with good Stewardship for a Husband, and high Prowess women for lovers. Matrilineal Marriage of course.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I'll follow along with this!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Vigdis and Thyra have been assigned to interrogate a prisoner brought back from Ireland, Diarmaid O'Bannon. Vigdis dumps him in a chair in the stables.

Diarmaid: "Oof! Warn a man before you drop him like that, will you? Holy Saint Joseph, the ladies sure do get tall up here in the north, don't ya. What's your name, beautiful?"
Vigdis: "What's he saying? He speaks Norse like he's got a mouth full of rocks. Speak up, Irishman!"
Thyra: "He asked you your name; he thinks you're beautiful."

Vigdis kicks the Irishman in the shin. Thyra snickers.

Diarmaid: "Agh! What'd you do that for?"
Vigdis: "Worthless Christian rat. Listen up, rat. Our lord Thoke, he wants you to tell us what you know about the lands you Christ-worshippers rule over. The Franks and Saxons and such, you know."
Diarmaid: "What, so you lot can go stab them and steal their treasures, too? Ehhh... haha, I mean, sure, definitely. Grand. Just ehm, untie me, and the three of us'll go have a pint and I'll tell ya whatever you want to know, all right?"
Thyra: "Sounds fun, but I have a better idea. We'll stay right here, let Helge do his job, and you'll tell us whatever we want to know anyway. And then Vigdis and I'll have the pint."

Helge coughs, and Diarmaid turns to see the hooded man sitting silently in the corner, polishing a very tiny but very sharp knife. Helge grins and waves.

Diarmaid: "Haha, uh, now, ladies, let's not be hasty, we're all friends here! Praise to, uh, whatever god it is you worship up here..."
Vigdis: "Odin."
Diarmaid: "Sure, that's the one."
Thyra: "Excellent. Then you won't mind telling us about what you know, hm? Why don't we start with those islands you're from?"
Diarmaid: "Err, well now. Dear old Ireland's... same as it is ever was, just little villages like mine. Nothing worth sailing all that way to take, to be sure. Now the Saxons..."

Diarmaid: "They crowned some new bastard king, I hear. If you're going to use those big axes of yours on anyone, might as well be him, right? The whole place is getting ripped apart by your lads, anyway."
Vigdis: "You mean great lord Ivar and his brothers, from the homelands! Their war must be going well. As it should, they're fighting milk-drinking children if the raid was any indication."
Diarmaid: "Hey, now, no need to be rude."
Vigdis: "What about the mainland?"
Helge: "This one I know. Kerrol is king there. A great warrior who slew thousands by his own hand."
Diarmaid: "Kerrol? Oh, Karl, the lord of the Franks. Uh, well, he died. Before I was born, actually. His kids run the place now. They all hate each other, apparently, but I haven't heard of any wars so maybe they're content with half a continent each."

Thyra: "And what about the south, where the warm sea is?"

Diarmaid: "Well, there's Hispania. The Christians there are fighting the infidels. Different infidels, that is. Uh, no offence. I hear it's not going well for our lads, but not much news out of there gets up my way, you know."
Thyra: "Hm. Well, you've been very helpful."
Diarmaid: "I have? Grand! Just untie me and I'll be on my way, you'll never hear from me again."
Thyra: "So, we won't kill you."
Diarmaid: "Hah, sure, it's better than nothing, I suppose."
Vigdis: "Yet."
Diarmaid: "Ah."

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

AJ_Impy posted:

For his own schemes, Seducing or romancing Erika to strengthen their bond,

Oh boy, you went for it!

Marriage, as a political paring for security and power, is one thing. Love is another matter entirely. Erika is far too paranoid to simply accept Vemundr's advances as face value. While she does not reject this scheme outright, she will impede it's progress by setting a series of increasingly outlandish and arbitrary tasks for her new husband to prove his love.

Luca_024
Dec 26, 2022
Since Abdullah is gonna spend quite a while with Angrboda, between trying to learn another trait and caring for the little Thoke, she might catch him saying a thing or two about undertaking the Hajj someday. He's well on his thirties, it's around that time of life one would start currying favors with the divine, just in case.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

ZiegeDame posted:

Oh boy, you went for it!

Marriage, as a political paring for security and power, is one thing. Love is another matter entirely. Erika is far too paranoid to simply accept Vemundr's advances as face value. While she does not reject this scheme outright, she will impede it's progress by setting a series of increasingly outlandish and arbitrary tasks for her new husband to prove his love.

Sounds like someone needs to RP how their character is overcoming these difficult tasks. :smuggo:

edit. After the next update we will have the first Ting and the chieftain is presented with some demands! What do you think about letting the chieftain (and future rulers) be able to always present one personal goal at the Ting? This would always count as being a suggestion made by the loyalist faction, and would lower the ruler's stress if fulfilled. Same rules apply as for demands, need to have two parts, but they can be whatever, although I might restrict them somehow so our ruler can't make personal goals relating to something he has F in. Our ruler would also always be considered as belonging to the loyalist faction. This way if the readers don't have any influential characters the dominant faction will by default be the loyalists. I think it would make sense that our ruler would be able to present one goal that they want to fulfill in the next 5 years, if there are no objections I will probably implement this and come up with how much influence our ruler has, making sure he is balanced and doesn't have too much power.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 22, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Ásta's ambitions.

Ásta Voldsom was a popular young woman. She was good at talking to people, especially men. She knew what most men wanted out of her, and had gotten used to getting what she wanted as well.

Recently her ambitious personality had reached new heights. She had spent too much time playing around with some handsome farmers or blacksmiths, she couldn't even spend time with her dear sister without being hassled by some dumb man she had never met.

She wanted power. Unfortunately, she was still a young woman. But she could seduce someone with power.

First she thought about the chieftain himself or the chancellor, but then realized she was terrified of their wives and the white woman who was always with them.

She knew how that would go, and she valued her life. It was too risky to go for the chieftain or the chancellor. So she decided to go for the steward.

During a feast celebrating the chieftains wife's second pregnancy, she approached the steward. Unfortunately he wasn't interested. "Look girl, don't take this the wrong way, you're young and pretty and I'm sure you'll find someone but you just don't have the wide childbearing hips that my dear wife has."

Ásta was devastated. She had never been turned down before. But how was she to know the steward's preferences?

She rethought her plans. She couldn't seduce the chief, or anyone in the council. She didn't want to seduce a champion, what if they died during their raids? Also it was easier to get a child with someone who spent more time in the tribe. Now, who was a man who was always there and who had the chiefs ear...

Yes! If she manages to seduce someone who is important to both the chieftain and his wife, she was also important by association. She was a genius!

------------

Luca_024, since this is a secret scheme Abdullah has no way of knowing her intentions. You are unable to reject because he is happy to tell this honest, diplomatic woman everything about his god, his knowledge of plants and the human body and the place where he is from, especially seeing how no one really seemed to mind that some of the locals had converted to his religion.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 22, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Chapter 5: Britannia will have no peace, 17th of January 870 - 2nd of October 871.

Vigdis and Thyra were letting the chieftain know about the results of their interrogation.

Apparently Uroman had refused to answer any of their questions. He had only said that he was not going to betray his people and to get it over with.

So Helge tortured him to death in front of the other Irish prisoners. He made sure to make the brave man scream in agony before sending him to meet his God.

Vigdis and Thyra then picked another man amongst the prisoners.

This man had proven more cooperative, having already seen what might await him. Thoke listened closely as his commanders let him know everything the Irishman had said. He was glad to get useful information and told them to keep the man alive for now. It would be useful to have a Christian prisoner who they could keep interrogating when necessary.

According to the Irishman, a new king had recently been crowned in Wessex. Apparently the man was deemed more capable than most Anglo-Saxons. Time would tell if he could unite the Anglo-Saxons against the Norsemen. Brothers Ivar and Halfdan were a formidable force and now a third Norseman, named Hastein, had carved out a piece of Britannia for himself and was currently waging war for East Anglia.

The descendants of the great King who once ruled over all of Europe were currently at peace with each other. The King of West Francia was apparently helping the Duke of Brittany drive out Norse invaders from their lands. Thoke knew that they would have to be careful if they ever decided to raid such powerful Kings. Perhaps for now they would focus only on Britannia.

-------------

Thoke was pleased to hear that his councilors had gotten married while they were raiding, but of course he would have liked to attend both weddings. Nils had gotten more experienced with the responsibilities of his tasks, which made the chieftain of course appreciate him even more. Vemundr had apparently completed his training and was now considered a Seiðr, like his sister and wife.

The chieftains wife told him she was pregnant again. They had been with each other every day since he returned from the raids four months ago, both having missed the other one dearly. Thoke was once again thrilled to have a child and immediately called for a feast, inviting many people.

The celebrations were so plentiful that they ran out of wine. Luckily a merchant from Nordrland was still around and the chieftain bought his entire stock. People were speaking highly of the chieftain for a long time after that.

This event is pretty nice for us, since being a tribal ruler we actually need more prestige than gold.

Thoke also started spending more time with his chancellor, as he had already gotten close with Abdullah.

The chieftain had trained more bondi and vigmen and when summer came, they were once again ready to go raiding. He wanted the tribe to prosper and knew that the best way for him to make that happen was to keep raiding Britannia. He ordered the construction of some simple palisades. The thought of leaving his pregnant wife and his heir behind while he was away worried him. The palisades would take time, but in three years they would be ready. Also he felt a bit easier knowing his wife had a protector while he was away.

The giant bodyguard means that Angrboda essentially has his prowess, since he follows her every command. If someone were to try and kill her, they would need to beat the bodyguard.

They set sail again, this time with two hundred soldiers more. If their last raid went well, this one was surely to go even better.

The Irish were numerous this time, but they were still no match for the fierce Norsemen.

The third picture is immediately at the start of the battle, which really shows how much stronger we are. Also if you take a look at the battle results picture you'll see that our champions killed 333 Irishmen. That's a lot. Also we got 121 prestige out of this fight. Remember that prestige is very important for us since we use it to both train our armies and build our buildings. Winning easy battles while raiding is more important than finding actual gold.

The Irish flee, but our forces pursue them.

That is another 225 prestige. Last time the raid itself was worth 90 prestige if you don't take the battles into consideration. These battles are important.

We unlock a martial perk which I put into the first one in Overseer for the control growth and dread, both are nice. The first martial perks gotta go into the Gallant's right side which gives us more champions and makes them better. It's difficult to increase our men-at-arms effectiveness right now apart from building a couple buildings, so this is a substantial increase in power.

The chieftain leads his forces throughout the ravaged island. Most of the ravaging was done by the Irish themselves, as there are numerous ongoing wars and raids amongst the locals.

Our vigmen are countering the Irish light infantry. Countering simply makes them do less damage and it can easily determine the victor, in some cases the whole war.

Vigdis the marshal and Thyra lead the troops, taking everything of value the Christian tribe had. It will take them a long time to recover, but the Norsemen don't care. Thoke has noticed that the usually quiet Thyra has really come out of her shell in Irland. She was actually seen drinking with the others in between raids and seems to have found a friend in Vigdis. Some of the men have started to call them Valkyries out of respect for their prowess in battle.

Irland is completely devastated by wars and raids, and the chieftain orders them to take their boats and leave, once again carrying as much loot as they can fit into the boats and still get back home.

Word of his power is spreading through Britannia...

Back home they are once again greeted by good news.

Angrboda had given birth to another son! Thoke wanted to show respect for his wife's family and suggested they name him Úlfkell after his maternal grandfather.

His chancellor had gotten better at his job and managed to get his wife pregnant! Joyous news indeed!

Other people had also either managed to find love during the raid, or the courage to ask for a woman's hand after it. Love blossomed and there were plenty of celebrations.

The chieftess had also appointed a court tutor during the raids, telling the chieftain it was probably a good idea to have someone look after the kids and teach them things while he was away. He had to agree, it seemed like a good thing.

Sinech will have +2 influence in all factions when we eventually play as one of our sons, if she is still alive. This represents her being close to our kids ever since they were little.

Thoke had managed to gather a considerable amount of loot. He had no time to plan what he would do with it right now, as the next Ting was happening in just three months...

----------------

As for schemes, Abdullah feels like he is very close to learning the ways of the mystic from Angrboda, Rolando successfully courted Ingrid and is now learning Norse, Erika learned Norse (but I forgot to console it to her, I'll do it when I play the next session), Sinech finished learning Norse and became the court tutor, Vemundr has begun his scheme to seduce Erika.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 24, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
The current factions are:

The Diplomat Faction, focused on diplomacy and learning.

Leader - Sinech.

Suggestions - Form alliances with nearby powerful rulers.

-------------------------

The Faction for the Betterment of Austrland, focused on stewardship and learning.

Leader - Abdullah.

Suggestions - Save up money and build Trading Outposts.

Warlike Raiders for Profit, focused on martial and stewardship.

Leader - Rolando.

Other members - Yuiiut

Suggestions - build more buildings, do so by raiding and sacking people.

Hidden Wisdom, focused on stewardship and intrigue.

Leader - Erika.

Other player characters - Vemundr.

Suggestions - None yet.

Our chieftain is planning to suggest his personal goal of conquering the rest of Iceland and becoming a Jarl. Supporting this goal means you are joining the loyalists faction. You can also join the loyalist and make your own suggestion, it can be anything you want.

Those who have made their suggestions are using all of their influence to advance their own ideas, those who have not are free to do as they like. Currently the Hidden Wisdom faction has the most influence but they have yet to make a suggestion amongst themselves. Remember that the dominant faction will have +1 demand so there is plenty of room for more suggestions to be made.

Everyone can vote and make suggestions, even those without a character. You don't have to have done anything in the thread to be able to vote and make suggestions. You can also just say you are joining faction x and leave it at that if you want to.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 22, 2023

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Having found success with learning the Norse Language and becoming the Court Tutor, Sinech will now more actively look for a Husband followed by working to Increase her Learning so that she can more effectively raise the next generation. Her Lifestyle goal is to become a Diplomat or Scholar. Other traits she wouldn't mind getting, but isn't actively trying for, are Mystic, Witch, and Shieldmaiden.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I don’t know if I’m allowed to vote without an actual character but I’ll support the loyalist idea of uniting Iceland

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

I don’t know if I’m allowed to vote without an actual character but I’ll support the loyalist idea of uniting Iceland

Yes you can, your vote is now counted.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I'll join the WRP - or Warlike Raiders for Profit.

Uniting Iceland? Capital idea!

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

Lynneth posted:

I'll join the WRP - or Warlike Raiders for Profit.

Uniting Iceland? Capital idea!

To be clear, these are mutually exclusive choices. Supporting the chieftains goal is considered joining the loyalist faction. I edited the earlier post as I forgot to make this clear.
If you want to stay in WRP you can make your own suggestion or support someone else's.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 22, 2023

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Just going to restate the suggestion of the Diplomat faction more fully, as I decided on a second part to it. Form Alliances with nearby powerful Rulers and advance the non-Abrahamic Religions.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Oh didn't realize I'd be the head of the faction. Hidden Wisdom Suggestions: Uncover secrets in nearby Christian courts in Iceland, Britannia, and France if we can manage it; Use this knowledge to spread discord at strife across the Christian realms, if they waste their strength fighting each other they will be much easier pickings for our raiders.
I'll leave any other suggestions open for Vemundr. I will add, though, that this suggestion is totally compatible with the goal of uniting Iceland, and getting the two Christian counts to fight each other would make for good practice.

On a personal level, Erika will attempt to teach Sinech Witchcraft. Gotta get that coven spreading to the next generation.

Also, baby names! If it's a girl, Erika will name her daughter Fredrika

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

ZiegeDame posted:

Oh boy, you went for it!

Vemundr is an ambitious man. If it was going to be easy, would it truly be worth doing? Vemundr is an arrogant man. No matter how difficult, he believes he is up to the task. Most importantly, Vemundr is a gregarious man, and as a talented chancellor, silver-tongued as well. So, he takes the challenges in unflappably good humour, presenting the latest trinket demanded with a smile and a flourish, no hint of dismay when told the next one. With arrogance and ambition entwined in a steely determination to see it through, wrapped in a cloak of civility and disarming grace, he intends to prove these advances have true depth in them, and true power behind them. Besides which, with their little one on the way, it is the ideal time to go around and make the mother-to-be's life easier, for sooner or later a need for comfort may supersede the arbitrariness. Either way, this should be fun.

In any case, there are matters on which they need to collaborate. For the Hidden Wisdom demands, Vemundr proposes Learn the way of Siedr and Bring war to the Christians, pending Erika's approval or alteration as current faction head.

Vemundr is delighted his brother in law and liege seeks to be on better terms and is receptive and encouraging.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

AJ_Impy posted:

For the Hidden Wisdom demands, Vemundr proposes Learn the way of Siedr and Bring war to the Christians, pending Erika's approval or alteration as current faction head.

Approval Granted! Though it seems likely that last one is gonna happen either way.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Rolando is overjoyed. His courtship came to fruition and now he is a member of the tribe, by all accounts. His friend Nils seems to have a strong and well-deserved grip on the steward position, thus after finally learning Norse with the help of his poet wife he will definitely start training to advance his blademaster skills, as planned, so he might have a go at a spot in the next raids.

Regarding factions, I would like to correct the suggestion of the warlike raiders for profit a bit - in order to build more buildings we should first acquire more land to build those in first since we are already building a palisade in our main hold, and it still stays within the scope of warring and sacking.

Is that fine?

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
If Hidden Wisdom ends up as the dominant faction you will be able to make at least two demands, both consisting of two parts. So both Erika and Vemundr can make their own demands if you wanted to. Erika's approval is not necessary, those demands with the most votes will automatically be given to the chief in the Ting.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

TorakFade posted:

Rolando is overjoyed. His courtship came to fruition and now he is a member of the tribe, by all accounts. His friend Nils seems to have a strong and well-deserved grip on the steward position, thus after finally learning Norse with the help of his poet wife he will definitely start training to advance his blademaster skills, as planned, so he might have a go at a spot in the next raids.

Regarding factions, I would like to correct the suggestion of the warlike raiders for profit a bit - in order to build more buildings we should first acquire more land to build those in first since we are already building a palisade in our main hold, and it still stays within the scope of warring and sacking.

Is that fine?

Acquire more land is fine for one part yes, it would need a second one still.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Acquiring more land goes part and parcel with the loyalist position, as long as that land is within Iceland. We should seek to increase the prestige of our bloodline and indeed all Norse forever by forming a kingdom to rival anything on the larger continents.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

ZiegeDame posted:

Also, baby names! If it's a girl, Erika will name her daughter Fredrika

If it's a boy, Vemundr will propose Erik.

Luca_024
Dec 26, 2022
Now is when I hope Abdullah isn't being too nice for his own good :(. He may be compassionate, but feeling empathy towards someone and letting them walk all over you are very different things. Still, he sees no reason to distrust Asta, for now at least.

After learning the Mystic trait, he will approach Sinech and offer to teach her the Physician trait, under the argument that the tribe should have a backup doctor in the event something happens to him... or in the event he ever takes his leave for the Hajj. Since Sinech has already earned the chieftain's trust and has a decent Learning skill, she seems to be the best candidate.

Luca_024 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Thyra is glad to have found a friend on the battlefield. If someone had told her she could make friends by stabbing people she'd have started a long time ago. Vigdis is a little intense, but people say that about Thyra too.

After returning from the fights in Ireland, Thyra spends some nights considering her place in the clan. Thoke's realm has some much bigger and stronger fighters - some are vicious berserkers like Emund and Vigdis, and of course there's Tjudmund the giant. Thyra can't compete with them physically; she's a good commander, but so are they, even if she does seem to be the only one who thinks about things before doing them. If she wants to stand out, she needs people to like and respect her, and she's certainly not going to make that happen by talking to them. She resolves to be a shining example of virtue, someone people look up to. She's going to try and learn poetry from Ingrid, and then (if this is a reasonable scheme or whatever) she's going to try and go on pilgrimage to seek the wisdom and blessing of Thor the Thunderer.

megane fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 22, 2023