Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Finnish Flasher posted:

Acquire more land is fine for one part yes, it would need a second one still.

Acquire more land, and raise a runestone on it should work well in favor of the tribe and the pockets of everyone involved.

Rolando, as the one putting forth the idea, would like to personally oversee the eventual construction...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

AJ_Impy posted:

In any case, there are matters on which they need to collaborate. For the Hidden Wisdom demands, Vemundr proposes Learn the way of Siedr and Bring war to the Christians, pending Erika's approval or alteration as current faction head.

I assume you want the chieftain to learn the seidr ways? It will be difficult since he has F intrigue and D learning but he might be able to do if with some help.

megane posted:

Thyra is glad to have found a friend on the battlefield. If someone had told her she could make friends by stabbing people she'd have started a long time ago. Vigdis is a little intense, but people say that about Thyra too.

After returning from the fights in Ireland, Thyra spends some nights considering her place in the clan. Thoke's realm has some much bigger and stronger fighters - some are vicious berserkers like Emund and Vigdis, and of course there's Tjudmund the giant. Thyra can't compete with them physically; she's a good commander, but so are they, even if she does seem to be the only one who thinks about things before doing them. If she wants to stand out, she needs people to like and respect her, and she's certainly not going to make that happen by talking to them. She resolves to be a shining example of virtue, someone people look up to. She's going to try and learn poetry from Ingrid, and then (if this is a reasonable scheme or whatever) she's going to try and go on pilgrimage to seek the wisdom and blessing of Thor the Thunderer.

Pilgrimage is a reasonable scheme yes, she will start that after becoming a poet.

Luca_024 posted:

Now is when I hope Abdullah isn't being too nice for his own good :(. He may be compassionate, but feeling empathy towards someone and letting them walk all over you are very different things. Still, he sees no reason to distrust Asta, for now at least.

After learning the Mystic trait, he will approach Sinech and offer to teach her the Physician trait, under the argument that the tribe should have a backup doctor in the event something happens to him... or in the event he ever takes his leave for the Hajj. Since Sinech has already earned the chieftain's trust and has a decent Learning skill, she seems to be the best candidate.

Would you like to enable your pms so I can send you some msgs?

-------------------------

I'll post a list again today with all unclaimed courtiers again so people can claim one if they want to, and an updated list on claimed ones as well.

Luca_024
Dec 26, 2022
Done.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Finnish Flasher posted:

To be clear, these are mutually exclusive choices. Supporting the chieftains goal is considered joining the loyalist faction. I edited the earlier post as I forgot to make this clear.
If you want to stay in WRP you can make your own suggestion or support someone else's.

Oh, d'uh. I thought Iceland was just a yes/no choice.
Loyalists, then!

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
I'm gonna let the voting stay up for roughly 17 hours, since some might not know you are still allowed to claim characters. When I get home from work tomorrow, I'm calling it and letting y'all know how it goes.

Just to make things clear again:

Anyone can claim an unclaimed character.
Anyone can join a faction and make a suggestion (which might become a demand if it gets enough votes).
You don't have to claim a character to vote.
You don't have to make a suggestion if you join a faction.

These are the claimed characters and how they look like now.

Abdullah, who is played by Luca_024.

Angrboda, who is played by PetraCore.

Ásta, who is played by Finnish Flasher.

Erika, who is played by ZiegeDame.

Halla, who is played by Demon Of The Fall.

Nils, who is played by Jossar.

Rolando, who is played by TorakFade.

Sinech, who is played by ChaosStar0.

Thoke, played by Finnish Flasher.

Thyra, who is played by megane.

Vemundr, who is played by AJ_Impy.

-------------------

Here's the unclaimed ones (but not the lowborn). Just to be clear, anyone can claim one of them. No previous thread participation is required.

Álvör, mother of Vigdis.

Álvör, sister of Vemundr.

Árni, our brother.

Asleikr, husband of Freja.

Bergþóra, mother of Ingrid.

Dan, brother of Ingdri.

Einar, brother of Ingrid.

Emund, husband of Huld.

Freja, wife of Asleikr.

Helge, The Confession Coach.

Hild, vengeance incarnate.

Hródgeirr, our wife's bodyguard. A certified idiot.

Huld, wife of Emund.

Ingjerdr, our spymaster and mother of Angrboda and Vemundr.

Ingrid, wife of Rolando.

Jórunn, our mother.

Orvar, our friend.

Signý, sister of Vigdis.

Síg, our sister.

Svanhild, wife of Nils.

Tjudmund, the loving giant.

Þyri, sister of Thyra.

Úlfhédinn, brother of Thyra.

Vigdis, our marshal (oh yeah she got married :)).

Ýr, mother of Thyra.

Again, there's a lot of lowborns in our court and they all suck. If you really want to be a lowborn let me know and I'll post a list of them too.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 24, 2023

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Vemundr votes for Vemundr and Erika's suggestions.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
As it fits his general style of endeavors and is headed up by his good friend Rolando, Nils would like to join the Warlike Raiders for Profit.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

Jossar posted:

As it fits his general style of endeavors and is headed up by his good friend Rolando, Nils would like to join the Warlike Raiders for Profit.

With Nils supporting the WRP, they have now 10 influence from characters. They also have one vote from a reader so that brings them to 11 influence.

The Hidden Wisdom faction currently has 11 influence from characters, there are no other votes for them.

Currently Hidden Wisdom has two demands ready while WRP only has one. If a faction does not use all their available demands they are simply left unused.

It seems likely that one of these two factions will be the dominant one. The loyalists are currently third with 9 influence total.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 24, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

Finnish Flasher posted:

The current factions are:

The Loyalists.

Leader - Thoke with 7 influence.

Other members - Captain Foo. Lynneth.

Personal goal - Conquer all of Iceland and form the duchy.

The Diplomat Faction, focused on diplomacy and learning.

Leader - Sinech with 6 influence.

Suggestions -

ChaosStar0 posted:

Form Alliances with nearby powerful Rulers and advance the non-Abrahamic Religions.

The Faction for the Betterment of Austrland, focused on stewardship and learning.

Leader - Abdullah with 6 inlfuence.

Suggestions -

Luca_024 posted:

Save up money and build Trading Outposts, hoping to kick off a spiral of ever-increasing revenue and development.

Warlike Raiders for Profit, focused on martial and stewardship.

Leader - Nils with 7 influence.

Characters in faction - Rolando with 3 influence.

Other members - Yuiiut.

Suggestions -

TorakFade posted:

Acquire more land, and raise a runestone on it should work well in favor of the tribe and the pockets of everyone involved.

Hidden Wisdom, focused on stewardship and intrigue.

Leader - Erika with 6 influence.

Characters in faction - Vemundr with 5 influence.

Suggestions -

ZiegeDame posted:

Uncover secrets in nearby Christian courts in Iceland, Britannia, and France if we can manage it; Use this knowledge to spread discord at strife across the Christian realms, if they waste their strength fighting each other they will be much easier pickings for our raiders.

AJ_Impy posted:

Learn the way of Siedr and Bring war to the Christians, pending Erika's approval or alteration as current faction head.

Our chieftain is planning to suggest his personal goal of conquering the rest of Iceland and becoming a Jarl. Supporting this goal means you are joining the loyalists faction. You can also join the loyalist and make your own suggestion, it can be anything you want.

Those who have made their suggestions are using all of their influence to advance their own ideas, those who have not are free to do as they like. Currently the Hidden Wisdom faction has the most influence but they have yet to make a suggestion amongst themselves. Remember that the dominant faction will have +1 demand so there is plenty of room for more suggestions to be made.

Everyone can vote and make suggestions, even those without a character. You don't have to have done anything in the thread to be able to vote and make suggestions. You can also just say you are joining faction x and leave it at that if you want to.

Here's a nicer looking list of the factions and their leaders, characters and voters so far, along with quotes of the suggestions. I'm currently on my lunch break so I'll get home in roughly 4 hours and probably look at the situation in 5. If WRP and HW are still tied I will decide the dominant faction based on members trying to convince the chief of their views via RP posted here. If there's no RP I will flip a coin.

Also I remember someone saying it's difficult to get a sense of time with the updates so I will edit the chapter titles to include Month/Year. That'll take a bit of time as I look up the save files but shouldn't be too big of a deal.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 24, 2023

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Finnish Flasher posted:

If WRP and HW are still tied I will decide the dominant faction based on members trying to convince the chief of their views via RP posted here. If there's no RP I will flip a coin.

"My brother and my liege, soon to be my Jarl, you know I have studied well the mysteries that our respective wives have mastered, wisdom such that mighty Odin was willing to part with an eye and hang from Yggdrasil for. There is power here, real power, and you, who have led us all to riches and have brought such joy to my sister, deserve to have that power as well. The Christians fear it greatly, so let us make them doubly afraid. The weakling milk-drinkers cling to the lands which are yours by right, let us sweep them aside as you ascend."

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Finnish Flasher posted:

With Nils supporting the WRP, they have now 10 influence from characters. They also have one vote from a reader so that brings them to 11 influence.

Currently Hidden Wisdom has two demands ready while WRP only has one. If a faction does not use all their available demands they are simply left unused.

As Rolando has already put forth his suggestion, he doesn't want to be seen as overbearing - he's waiting for Nils to make another demand or proposal, and if he won't, then just the demand to get more land and build a runestone will stand, that's quite enough to start with.

He also requests an audience with the Chief. His Norse isn't perfect but he hopes to make himself clear enough.

"Most honorable and powerful Thoke, I kneel before your might; my gratitude for hosting this poor exile, chased away from his homelands, knows no bounds - and I shall try to repay your magnanimity in the best way I know. My expertise resides in constructing grand buildings, realizing projects and overseeing economic activities; I am convinced that in order to expand your fame and prestige in all the known world, as is truly well deserved and even necessary, the tribe will need to build monuments and legacies that will stand the test of time.

I have taken the liberty of discussing such matters with your Steward, Nils the architect - a recognized expert in building whose masonry ability eclipses that of anyone else here - and we are in agreement over this; glory in battle, hoarding precious loot and returning triumphant with slaves and concubines for our warriors is godly indeed, but in a few years the loot will be spent, new battles will have taken place, and warriors might die or retire. What will remain then to remind the tribe of these glorious times? The warriors are great at fighting, but when the fighting is over they only think of the next raid. We humbly suggest that building incredible monuments the likes of which have never been seen in these lands, buildings that will be admired for many long years and where the tribe's mighty warriors might eat, train and feast will make the glory gained in battle that much greater and be an example, and a factual real help, for future generations of mighty warriors - and not just them but also our craftsmen, our holy men, and all the free men who swear allegiance to the powerful Thoke too!

We do thus recognize that your ambition to conquer and rule over more land is just and smart, but we would also like to make sure that in the excitement of blood and pillage, we as a tribe don't forget to set the bases for the long and prosperous rule of our Chief, soon-to-be Jarl - and we propose to erect an intricately carved runestone, symbol of the might of our people, in the lands we will conquer!"

Out-of-character edit: Jossar, let me know if you want to discuss what we should do as a faction. I tried PM'ing you with no success, but I guess we can find a way if we want to :)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 24, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Both RP were good so both WRP and HW are considered dominant. Enjoy the status quo, I'm sure it won't last :)

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Final influence shares:

Warlike Raiders For Profit - 25.58% of total influence

Hidden Intrigue - 25.58% of total influence.

Totaling to 51.16% of total influence. These two factions are now tied for dominant, while all the rest are considered weak.

The loyalist faction bonus of -25% stress gain, +20% monthly lifestyle experience is now disabled.

These bonuses are now active:

+0.5 monthly control growth, Domain limit + 2.

I'll play a little bit along again, but updates will be less frequent since I now have a lot less free time.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 24, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Congratulations Erika, you have become shrewd. The rest of you rolled poorly.

Feel free to queue up your schemes etc, you can also post RP whenever you want to increase your success chances. The marriages I pm'd some of you about will happen as the game continues.

-----

Also as becoming a witch is now a demand for Thoke, I will allow myself to have a small chance of getting it by swaying someone who already has it. It will be very low chances as I have F intrigue and D learning, so if someone could help me that would be great.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 25, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Chapter 6: The first Ting and it's demands, 3nd of October 871 - 6th of February 874.

It was the first Ting since Thoke's father had died. He listened to many demands from important people and knew that they were very influential in the tribe. It would be wise to agree with their demands, but this wasn't difficult as he found their points to be quite well thought-out.
There were two factions that had the most say in the tribe. One of them advocated for the Seiðr ways and for war against Christians, while the other advocated for expansion in general, raiding loot and constructing new buildings in the tribe's lands.

: My people! I understand that there are those who have thoughts about what direction our tribe should take, and I am here to address them. I understand that there are many who believe that the Seiðr are crucial to our tribe's success, and I have thus decided to train to become one myself. I wish to show my support to the Seiðr in this way and learn from their wisdom. I also understand that there are those who wish for us to bring war to the Christians. To that I will gladly agree! We will first conquer Iceland and then see what kind of opportunities await us, rest assured the Christians will know my wrath!

His speech was well received, there were very few who weren't happy to hear the tribe's direction going forward.

Because both dominant factions had stewardship I picked domain since it'll help a little bit with building stuff in our realm.

After the Ting it was soon the chieftains birthday.

Thoke was happy to have a party held for him and he even got a nice present!

Fertility is never bad when our wife is young enough to have kids. Here's also our inventory screen. CK 3 has different sort of items we can equip to get various buffs. There are also items you can put on your Royal Court, but we need to be a King to have that. If we appointed someone as our antiquarian we could get more items.

Soon after the chieftains birthday party some scouts noticed that the Christians in Nordrland had gathered an army to go raiding. They raided the other Christians in the island. It was good that they were infighting, that would mean they would certainly not ally against them if they decided to attack.

And after the chieftain heard how weak Nordrland was he thought it was a good time to strike.

This would go easily.

Both Erika and Angrboda gave birth to fine healthy babies. Meanwhile the chieftains eldest son was being a very charming little boy. He was sure to be someone who could talk people into seeing his way or lying his way out of anything.

While the conquest of Nordrland was going on, the spymaster had sent spies to infiltrate the court of King Causantin II. It would be useful to have blackmail material on him, and if he decides Thoke could always decide to try and ruin his reputation among his own people.

Eventually the conquest was over. The tribe had lost very little due to having the numbers against Nordrland from the beginning. Thoke decided to go raiding again only a few months after.

This time they raided the Anglo-Saxons, as Irland had surely not recovered from all the raids done earlier.

The Anglo-Saxons were unable to stop them from raiding a considerable amount of loot from the local temple. Thoke heard that the lands of King Alfred had yet to recover from being raided so he had a bold idea. He heard that the King of France was currently having several wars and was surely preoccupied.

And true enough, they managed to raid Paris itself and it's surroundings.

Apparently King Charles II was still fighting off Norse invaders with the Duke of Brittany as well as defending his lands from his kinsman who controlled a kingdom to the east. He was also defending against Jarl Orvar of the Northmen army who was trying to conquer the Duchy of Flanders.

Wait...

: Why did no one tell me my friend was going to lead an army against the King of France? And where did he get so many troops?

Apparently he had told Thoke himself that he was going to travel to the mainland and see if he could make a name for himself by joining an adventuring army, but this happened during the chieftains own birthday party so he was drunk out of his mind at the end of it. Well Orvar had always been good at talking to people, good for him.

When they got back with their loot, the chieftain ordered for the construction of gathering halls in the newly conquered Nordrland, as well as war camps in both Austrland and Sudrland. He was confident they were not necessary to subjugate the remaining Christians in Iceland. But he had other plans.

Plans that involved training more troops.

Troops that would really help him bring the war to the southern Christians...

---------------------------------

As usual there were more people who had reached adulthood when they arrived back.

Snorri was smart, but his lazy nature had perhaps hindered him from excelling in matters relating to stewardship. He was well liked though, as a just and kind person.

Gudrun though... Some feared her. Some approved very much of her being already considered a capable Seiðr. And some, mostly young boys, were really happy with her. She would surely be an interesting character.

Ljótr had become a capable commander and warrior. He would be helpful in the wars to come.

----------------------------------

As for schemes:

Abdullah finished his schemes to become a mystic and to teach Sinech tier 1 physician.
Thyra has been spending her time with poetry, she feels she has become decent during this time but is not ready yet.
Rolando learned Norse and is now learning tier 2 blademaster.
Erika finished her scheme to teach witch to Sinech.
Sinech is still trying to increase her learning, she feels she has made some progress.
Vemundr feels he is very close to finally seducing his wife.
Thoke is struggling with becoming a Seiðr.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 26, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hahah what happened there with Orvar?

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

hahah what happened there with Orvar?

The game creates these armies that basically emulate the Varangian Adventure CB since the AI otherwise doesn't do them afaik. It just grabs some character with good stats and makes them the leader. I guess Orvar was one of the better ones it found :)

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Chapter 7: Dominance, 6th of February 874 - 31st of December 874.

The chieftain had decided it was finally time to conquer the remaining Christians of Iceland. The island would be unified under his rule. He had a meeting with his councilors, except his wife who was pregnant again and his mother-in-law who was helping her.

T: My council, the day has come. We have grown strong while the Christians have stayed the same, it is time to conquer them.

He knew all would support his plan, his councilors had all made it clear.

They ransomed the heir of chieftain Áed back to him, earning a lot of gold, which would be used to pay for the conquest.

Vigdis led the army, she was better at inspiring the men to fight for Odin.

She has the holy warrior trait which makes her better at leading armies against those of other faiths.

Thoke knew the battle would be won, they had the numbers and the better warriors. But it would still take time to actually finish the war, unless they managed to capture the Christian chieftess, Audr.

T: Wonderful news, I'll handle the negotiations myself!

The war was over in a bit more than a month's time. With this victory, he had elevated his position in the eyes of all who believed in Odin.

He was now a Jarl.

Our capital is still in Austrland, this map mode just shows the de jure duchy capital in the new county.

The new Jarl ordered his victory be written for future generations, letting everyone in Vestrland know who had unified them.

He appointed a new seneschal, someone responsible for establishing his authority in all the counties. He chose the man who had helped him rid the body of the previous Godi. He seemed capable and had kept his mouth shut, and had caught a thief who had apparently stolen an heirloom belonging to the chieftess. The foreigners skills and loyalty to both him and his wife warranted a sufficient reward. His first task would be to see that the runestone was properly constructed and inscribed.

The chieftain was now faced with a different problem. The Christians had been conquered, but they still believed in their lord. Their faith was strong, they had even erected monuments before they had been conquered. It would take a long time for the Christians to be truly converted back into proper believers of Odin and the chief wasn't sure if it was worth the trouble. For now he figured he might as well let them be, as long as they acknowledged him as their Jarl.

They would surely remember how easily they had been conquered, right?

A few weeks had gone by and the chief had another meeting with his council, this time of their insistence. They wanted to continue the fight against the Christians, boldened by the ease of the unification of Iceland. The small islands between them and King Causantin II were ruled by three different chieftains, one of which was a Christian...

They sent out small ships to scout the island, pretending to be there for trade. They heard the Christian chief was leading a raiding party and had taken most of the fighting men with him.

That proved a costly error for him. Thoke sent Vigdis who, predictably, conquered the island and killed the Christians when they arrived back.

During their conquest of the small island, the chieftess gave birth to their third son! There was much celebration once again.

Eventually these Christians too were beaten and conquered, and the chieftain had now expanded beyond Iceland. The small island was called Tórshavn.

The trading ships that sailed to and from Tórshavn were now bringing them more information and news about the world. They knew about the large Christian kingdoms to the south, as well as the powerful Jarls back in the mainland.

The chieftain was dining with his family. Vemundr had joined them as he often did, the man did love his family. He and his wife Erika seemed to be enjoying their marriage, the two of them had been seen plenty of times laughing and enjoying each others company during various feasts or other activities. Recently his middle sister had also gotten married and was expecting her first child.

Vemundr has successfully seduced Erika.

Today he clearly had something on his mind.

V: My dear brother, have your men found a woman called Áslaug in Tórshavn by any chance?

T: You would have to ask either Vigdis or my seneschal, Rolando. They are in charge of establishing my rule on the island.

V: Ah, of course. I think I'll pay them both a visit.

T: Who is this woman anyway?

Vemundr gave the chieftain a warm smile.

V: Someone I want dead.

Abdullah is teaching Asta tier 1 physician.
Thyra has been spending her time with poetry, she has made more progress but is not ready yet.
Rolando feels he has almost mastered tier 2 blademaster.
Sinech is still trying to increase her learning, she feels she has made some progress but is still not ready.
Vemundr has finally seduced his arbitrary and paranoid wife.
Thoke struggled initially with becoming a Seiðr, but has recently made a lot of progress.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 5, 2023

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Vemundr's next objective is Teaching Witchcraft, firstly helping Thoke and then to family members and courtiers. Killing this woman is something to be savored.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Rolando is almost overjoyed. Having been bestowed a position at court and found a wife, his position is finally solid enough to start thinking about long term plans. There is plenty of work to keep a man busy and his arms are sore from all the blademaster training, but he confidently keeps at it in order to gain even more respect in battle; the greatest rewards are to be reaped in the field of war, blade in hand. If he can keep in the chief's good graces, he might be even granted some land someday...

For now, after finishing training, he will try to seduce his wife Ingrid, because it is time for a new generation to spring forth from the passion of their loins.

(Is it possible to learn blademaster tier 3 by training? If so I would like to queue it after seducing Ingrid...)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 4, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Iceland will be Astaru soon enough.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

TorakFade posted:

Rolando is almost overjoyed. Having been bestowed a position at court and found a wife, his position is finally solid enough to start thinking about long term plans. There is plenty of work to keep a man busy and his arms are sore from all the blademaster training, but he confidently keeps at it in order to gain even more respect in battle; the greatest rewards are to be reaped in the field of war, blade in hand. If he can keep in the chief's good graces, he might be even granted some land someday...

For now, after finishing training, he will try to seduce his wife Ingrid, because it is time for a new generation to spring forth from the passion of their loins.

(Is it possible to learn blademaster tier 3 by training? If so I would like to queue it after seducing Ingrid...)

The tier 3s are not possible to be learned from someone else, you would have to get it in other ways like fighting in battles, getting the marshal to improve you or getting lucky in the faction rolls that happen every Ting.

Also it's good that you mentioned granting land. Now that Thoke is a Jarl, we are allowed to grant counties to people. We are currently at 5/6 domain limit so there is no pressing issue yet, but of course Thoke might see fit to reward some loyal and capable people at some point.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Got it. Looks like gaining favor in war will be hard with all the awesome warriors we have, a knight spot looks to be real hard to get. Rolando is but a little baby compared to the tribe's main warriors, even with blademaster tier 2 I'm afraid :v:

Then let's queue learning gardener from Ingrid after seducing her!

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
This whole "Christians not wanting to convert" thing is a real black mark on Erika's reputation. Makes her look bad at her job. Once she has finished helping the Jarl with his studies, Erika is going to prove how smart and capable she is by engaging Abdullah in theological debate.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

ZiegeDame posted:

This whole "Christians not wanting to convert" thing is a real black mark on Erika's reputation. Makes her look bad at her job. Once she has finished helping the Jarl with his studies, Erika is going to prove how smart and capable she is by engaging Abdullah in theological debate.

Sounds like this would increase her learning if successful, sound good?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Finnish Flasher posted:

Sounds like this would increase her learning if successful, sound good?

That makes sense. Do unladed characters have Piety/Prestige? The 'winner' could get some of that, too. Depending on how well or terribly this goes it could also make progress towards friendship/rivalry.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

ZiegeDame posted:

That makes sense. Do unladed characters have Piety/Prestige? The 'winner' could get some of that, too. Depending on how well or terribly this goes it could also make progress towards friendship/rivalry.

Yeah everyone has piety and prestige even if they are unlanded. I'll think of something suitable.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Chapter 8: Ég hef verið gjörður seiðr, 1st of January 875 - 31st of December 876.

With the conquest of Tórshavn the chieftain and his councilors received steady news about the mainland of their people.

The most powerful of all the rulers was Björn 'Ironside', the oldest of all the famous brothers. He was the only Norseman who was powerful and famous enough to call himself a King. His fame reached even Iceland.

Because he is so famous we know some of his traits. Also we have small + and - to indicate how good his skills are, this represents us hearing about him.

His little brother, Jarl Sigurdr 'Snake-in-the-eye' controlled Sjaelland and Skåne. That was the extent of what Thoke knew about him.

Neigboring Jarl Sigurdr was Jarl Bagsecg, who controlled Jylland and Slesvig. He was also a powerful Jarl in his own right, but Thoke and his council didn't expect him to last if Sigurdr decided to conquer his lands.

King Charles II had recently conquered the neighboring Kingdom of Lotharingia, and was now probably the most powerful man in the world.

A guest from Jarl Bagsecgs court arrived in Iceland, and Thoke saw the opportunity to get some information. The man however had the audacity to ask for payment...

The man suddenly was very happy to tell all about Jarl Bagsecg, which unfortunately didn't really amount to anything.

This is added by obfusckate. I picked the second option because I wasn't going to give him 75 gold or a favor for info on some random dude about to get rekt by Sigurdr. So I told him to gently caress off and I got the information anyway.

In the meantime, Thoke's spymaster was finding out all kinds of juicy information about important Christians in various rulers courts. Unfortunately nothing about anyone with true power.

------------------------------

All was not well however, for the chieftain was struggling to learn the ways of the seiðr.

T: I know it's what people expect of me but by Odin I just don't think I have what it takes.

A: Nonsense husband. You are a hardworking man and I'm sure you'll overcome this if you focus. Also you have help from both Vemundr and Erika.

It was true. His brother-in-law and Gydja had been very helpful the past months, but he was still annoyed at how little progress he had made in the past few years.

T: My dear brother, I have been practicing the ways of the seiðr for two years now, and I do not feel any closer to mastering it. What is taking so long?

V: The ways of the seiðr is not something that can be mastered overnight. It takes time, patience, and consistent practice. Do not worry, you have been making good progress lately with the help of me and my dear wife.

T: Yes, you are correct. It's just I have been putting in so much effort, I had hoped by now I'd already mastered it.

V: Progress is not always linear, my brother. You may not see the results you desire immediately, but rest assured that your practice is laying the foundation for future success.

T: I grow tired of waiting. I want to see results now.

V: I understand your frustration. However, this is not something that can be rushed. You must continue to be patient and dedicated to your practice. It is only through persistent effort that you will master the ways of the seiðr.

Thoke let out a sigh.

T: I know. I will try to be patient. Thank you for your guidance, I am grateful for your help.

V: Anything for the good of our tribe.

T: When I'm done, will I also get a cool hat?

V: Of course, the women will make one for you.

Once again, the chieftain trained more men for raids. This time they returned to Irland and proceeded to capture and ransom chief Áed's youngest son.

After they had ravaged Irland, they sailed a short distance to Wales, where the locals attacked them with a numerically superior army. Vigdis led the troops and slaughtered nearly every Christian who had come.

519 prestige goddamn.

Afterwards, they returned to Tórshavn with their loot.

He was welcomed back by some of his closest friends. He was happy to see that his sister, as well as his Gydja, were pregnant. It was nice for the tribe to get new children.

After much feasting, Thoke immersed himself into studying the ways of the seiðr. He was determined to become one, he knew many were expecting it.

And after focusing on it completely for the rest of the year, with the help of his trusted seiðr mentors...

A: Congratulations my love.

A: You are now one of us.

Abdullah finished teaching Asta tier 1 physician and is now teaching her tier 2.
Thyra has been spending her time with poetry, she has become quite good and is certain she is close to being considered a poet.
Rolando seduced his wife and is now learning gardener from her.
Sinech has increased her learning, she will continue doing it unless given another scheme.
Vemundr has finished helping the chief become a seiðr, and will now teach his mother.
Erika has finished helping the chief become a seiðr and is now engaging in theological debate with Abdullah. This has the potential to cause the two to become either friends or rivals depending on how it goes.
Thoke has finally managed to become a seiðr.

It is now time for a new Ting! Here's the factions again.

Finnish Flasher posted:

The current factions are:

The Loyalists.

Leader - Thoke with 7 influence.

Personal goal -

The Diplomat Faction, focused on diplomacy and learning.

Leader - Sinech with 6 influence.

Suggestions -

The Faction for the Betterment of Austrland, focused on stewardship and learning.

Leader - Abdullah with 6 inlfuence.

Suggestions -

Warlike Raiders for Profit, focused on martial and stewardship.

Characters in faction - Rolando with 3 influence.

Other members - Yuiiut.

Suggestions -

Hidden Wisdom, focused on stewardship and intrigue.

Suggestions -

I'm going to update the influences tomorrow but y'all can come up with suggestions again! I want to reiterate how factions, suggestions and demands work.

You don't have to have a character to join a faction or make a suggestion, in fact you don't have to have done anything in the thread.
You can join a faction without making a suggestion or voting for anything else, you will make the faction stronger by joining.
You do have to join a faction to make a suggestion.

Suggestions have to have two parts, relating to the factions related skills.
Faction leaders do not have to approve suggestions. Those that have the highest support internally will become demands and potentially get presented to the ruler.

It's getting late in Finland, so I'll leave it at that. I'll post additional information tomorrow, along with an updated list of all player characters as well as unclaimed characters in our court.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 19, 2023

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

The Diplomat Faction's Suggestion hasn't changed. Form Alliances with nearby powerful Rulers and advance the non-Abrahamic Religions. Also can I have a recent screenshot of my character DM'd to me?

ChaosStar0 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 8, 2023

Luca_024
Dec 26, 2022
Abdullah will gladly engage Erika in theological debate, and be as respectful as possible. He'll be sure to point out the many differences between Christianity and Islam through the whole process, though.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Here's an updated list of all player characters, as well as their kids that are old enough to have a trait.

Abdullah, played by Luca_024.

Angrboda, played by PetraCore.

Ásta, played by Finnish Flasher.

Erika, played by ZiegeDame.

Halla, played by Demon Of The Fall.

Nils, played by Jossar.

Rolando, played by TorakFade.

Sinech, played by ChaosStar0.

Thoke, played by Finnish Flasher.

Thyra, played by megane.

Vemundr, played by AJ_Impy.

----------

Here's some of their children so far.

The heir, being educated in intrigue by Angrboda.

The second son, being educated in martial by Thoke.

The daughter, not yet being educated by anyone.

The son of Vemundr and Erika is a charming one.

They also just got a daughter, I think AJ_Impy chose the name Fredrika so that's what we're going with (all names can be changed later on).

Nils also had a son a few years ago.

As well as Sinech.

And Halla.

I will make another post later with all the non-lowborn adults in our realm.

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Sinech will work on getting Mystic and then Shieldmaiden.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

ChaosStar0 posted:

Sinech will work on getting Mystic and then Shieldmaiden.

Do you want to specify who you want to learn those from? If you won't specify one you'll have a harder time.

Mystics in the realm are Abdullah, Angrboda and Freja.
Shieldmaidens are Hild, Thyra, Thyra's mom and Vigdis.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Feb 8, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
These are all the unclaimed adults in our realm. Anyone can claim one of these.

Álfrhildr, sister of Ingrid. Married to our brother.

Álvör, mother of the Voldsom siblings.

Álvör, sister of Angrboda and Vemundr. A kind and ambitious woman, who recently had a daughter.

Árni, our brother. A brave and vengeful man.

Asleikr, a schemer and a champion.

Bergþóra, mother of Ingrid. A brave diplomat.

Brynjólfr, brother of Vigdis and Asta.

Dan, brother of Ingrid. A just and honest man.

Diarmaid, the prisoner. If someone claims him he will be recruited into our service.

Einar, brother of Ingrid. A stubborn and vengeful schemer.

Emund, a capable commander and champion.

Freja, a wise and beautiful woman.

Guðrún, the youngest of the Svartrfrigga siblings. Already a seiðr.

Helge, The Forbidden Tickler.

Hild, the one-eyed Valkyrie.

Huld, a compassionate, and horny, craven woman.

Hróðgeirr, our wife's bodyguard. An idiot.

Hrolfr, married to Þyri, sister of Thyra. Badass viking man who unfortunately will probably not form the Norman culture in this timeline.

Ingjerðr, mother of the Svartrfrigga siblings, our mother-in-law and spymaster.

Ingrid, the diplomat. Married to Rolando.

Jórunn, our mother.

Ljótr, brother of Vigdis and Asta, capable commander and champion.

Orvar, our friend who failed to conguer a duchy from the King of France. We invited him back during the last update but I forgot to mention it.

Síg, our sister. A kind, just woman. Very pregnant.

Signý, sister of Vigdis and Asta. A compassionate, calm diplomat.

Sigurðr, literally who?

Snorri, brother of Angrboda and Vemundr. A smart but lazy man.

Svanhild, the thiccest woman around.

Tjudmund, the loving giant. He recently lost his wife :(

Þyri, sister of Thyra. Currently quite pregnant.

Úlfhéðinn, brother of Thyra. A just and patient man who knows a lot about our gods.

Ýr, mother of Thyra. She is sick and infirm, and is likely not going to live much longer. :(

Vigdis, our martial and resident Christian-slaughterer.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
A general note about our situation. We have conquered all of our immediate Christian neighbors. Our closest neighbors right now are fellow Asatru in the islands modernly known as Orkney and Shetland. So if we want to keep expanding we have some choices to make.

Attack fellow Asatru, in Faroe Islands or mainland Scandinavia (west coast of Norway being the closest).

Or attack Christians, probably in Britannia.

Conquering land in mainland Scandinavia will give us more free troops if we decide to use Varangian CB to leave for richer lands. But conquering from Christians can also be easier, depends.
Keep this in mind in case you want to make a suggestion regarding conquering stuff.

We are also currently at 5/6 domain limit, if we happen to lose the Hidden Intrigue dominant faction bonus, we would be at 5/4 and need to give land to someone. Again, without any demands our ruler will just reward those he thinks are deserving.

Luca_024
Dec 26, 2022
Though Abdullah's main game is Learning, his Diplomacy is actually just as good; as such, he'll try and contribute to giving little Björg a Diplomatic education, though he'll only become her actual guardian if Thoke and Angrboda think that's a good idea.

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Angrboda for Mystic and Thyra for Shieldmaiden

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
An updated list of the factions, their influences etc.

The Loyalists - 15 influence total.

Leader - Thoke with 13 influence.

Personal goal - Get another duchy title, create a maximum size huscarl men-at-arms regiment.

The Diplomat Faction, focused on diplomacy and learning - 7 influence total.

Leader - Sinech with 7 influence.

Suggestions - Form Alliances with nearby powerful Rulers and advance the non-Abrahamic Religions.

The Faction for the Betterment of Austrland, focused on stewardship and learning - 6 influence total

Leader - Abdullah with 6 influence.

Suggestions -

Warlike Raiders for Profit, focused on martial and stewardship - 12 influence total.

Characters in faction - Rolando with 4 influence.

Other members - Yuiiut.

Suggestions -

Hidden Wisdom, focused on stewardship and intrigue - 11 influence total.

Suggestions -

Here's a breakdown of the characters current influences.

Thoke's influence is calculated a bit differently from others:

+2 baseline
+5 from 5 county titles
+2 from 1 duchy title
+2 councilor bonus (to put him on par with councilors)
+1 ruler bonus
+1 no unhappy powerful vassals

Diplo 0
Martial +1
Stewardship 0
Intrigue -1
Learning 0

While for everyone else only the two skills associated with the faction affect their influence, for our ruler everything will.
It's also more punishing, having an F will give our ruler -2 influence and D will give -1. This represents people expecting competence from their ruler in all aspects.

Every unhappy powerful vassal will give us -1 influence.

I think these changes allow for the ruler to have good influence if they are capable and/or manage to handle their eventual vassals, while also ensuring that an incompetent ruler is going to have a bad time.

Sinech:

+2 baseline
+2 diplo
+2 learning
+1 court tutor position

Abdullah:

+2 baseline
+2 diplo
+1 stewardship
+1 court physician position

Nils:

+2 baseline
+2 councilor bonus
+2 stewardship
+1 martial

Rolando:

+2 baseline
+1 stewardship
+1 seneschal position

Erika:

+2 baseline
+2 councilor bonus
+2 intrigue

Vemundr:

+2 baseline
+2 councilor bonus
+1 same house as ruler's spouse

--------------

Due to us conquering 3 counties and creating a duchy level title, as well as improving our intrigue and learning, Thoke has increased his influence by quite a bit. We will see in what direction things develop.

TorakFade posted:

This demand was fulfilled.

ZiegeDame posted:

Uncover secrets in nearby Christian courts in Iceland, Britannia, and France if we can manage it; Use this knowledge to spread discord at strife across the Christian realms, if they waste their strength fighting each other they will be much easier pickings for our raiders.

We managed to find secrets but were not able to really utilize them, this demand was not fulfilled and our ruler has gained stress.

AJ_Impy posted:

Learn the way of Siedr and Bring war to the Christians, pending Erika's approval or alteration as current faction head.

This demand was fulfilled.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 10, 2023

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Rolando, as the self-proclaimed head of the Warlike Raiders for Profit, puts forth another suggestion, though it won't be much different... we proved our might against the neighbors and our warriors are incredibly powerful, so we should conquer more land, a lot more land, so that the mighty Thoke will have such a vast demesne that he will find it beneficial to grant some land to his courtiers and turn them into faithful vassals.

Of course, logic dictates that members of the faction should definitely be considered among the first to receive this honor, what with being expert stewards...

(I don't quite remember how gaining stats/perks through factions work, do we have to request something or does it happen automatically? Fulfilled requests do have positive effects besides not making Thoke more stressed?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

TorakFade posted:

Rolando, as the self-proclaimed head of the Warlike Raiders for Profit, puts forth another suggestion, though it won't be much different... we proved our might against the neighbors and our warriors are incredibly powerful, so we should conquer more land, a lot more land, so that the mighty Thoke will have such a vast demesne that he will find it beneficial to grant some land to his courtiers and turn them into faithful vassals.

Of course, logic dictates that members of the faction should definitely be considered among the first to receive this honor, what with being expert stewards...

(I don't quite remember how gaining stats/perks through factions work, do we have to request something or does it happen automatically? Fulfilled requests do have positive effects besides not making Thoke more stressed?)

Every character in a faction will have a chance to gain stats/perks based on the factions share of total influence. Fulfilled demands only prevent stress, except the loyalist ones which reduce stress.