Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

A, Iceland looks nice and cozy and we can always Varangian to a sunnier island later on.

a Brave, Wrathful, Patient guy with a Skilled Tactician education (or Tough soldier is fine if we're short on points I guess) and Reaver commander trait sounds very good for a viking, there'll be time for failsons to shine later. Can we only give 3 traits in total, or can we "add" a trait or two outside those? Or if I wanted to say add that we're a Giant and an Aspiring Blademaster I'd have to not vote for 2 of the 3 personality traits?

Also how do I make my own character and share the DNA? I'd like to make a courtier :shobon:

Edit: nvm figured it out, here's the pastebin DNA for Rolando of the Glandi dynasty, a 25 year old Italian culture man who's good with money, and made a lot of it quickly by unsavory ways - and when the inevitable reckoning came he fled as far as he possibly could to .. hmm, wherever we end up, which is guaranteed to be very remote from Italy anyway :v: a Fortune Builder who can't be described as but Ambitious and Diligent, though his being Cynical and not God-fearing enough might have contributed to lead him to his current predicament. Made it easy to convert to Asatru religion though, after all if you don't really believe in one God you can just as well not really believe in many Gods. He's also genetically Quick with a sharp wit, and not new to fighting as an Aspiring Blademaster, so let's see if a tough, smart guy good with money and decent at intrigue can make a completely new life in whatever freezing wasteland we end up in. Maybe score himself a concubine and start a family too... but really, let's just hope his lungs will remain inside his chest at all times first and foremost.

(Is that how to do it? I created the character and saved it in the ruler designer, I tinkered a bit with the stats to keep it under 400... I can share the screen? Sorry I'm new to this.)

Also here's the dynasty crest of House Glandi

and the motto is "Nemo anas impune lacessit"

vvv e:e: thanks, I figured it out quite quickly but took forever to actually do it and post the write-up :)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jan 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Finnish Flasher posted:

For our player character it is indeed only 3 traits total, so you could for example vote for a brave, wrathful blademaster. Or a giant, brave blademaster.
Voting for a martial education allows you to also vote for 1 commander trait. If martial education wins we will start with the most voted one, if there's a tie I'll either use RNG or just decide which fits more with our character. For example a craven, paranoid military man might be more of a reaver or an organizer than an aggressive attacker.

Excellent thanks. I will go with brave, wrathful, blademaster for our main character's traits then!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Finnish Flasher posted:

I tried to load your character DNA but it gave an invalid DNA error. It seems your hair and beard are an affront to Thor as these lines

override={
portrait_modifier_overrides={
custom_beards=male_beard_western_03
custom_hair=male_hair_byzantine_02
}
}

entity={ 0 0 }
}

cause the problem.

I copied the DNA but left the last parts out and it worked, but I want to make sure this is what your character is supposed to look like.

If you want a different hair or beard let me know, it could be that you have a hair/facial hair mod that I'm not using. I'm making your character now but I can always edit the appearance afterwards.

edit. also can you try to copypaste your dynasty coat of arms?

edit2. i actually managed to recreate it but cant figure out how to make the duck look the other way :bang:

Lmao yeah it's him. Short jacked curly haired and full bearded dude. Can't be in a viking setting without a beard :colbert:

For the coat of arms, I just selected animals from the drop down menu, found the duck and set the colors, not sure how I can copy-paste it? If the duck is looking another way it's no big issue as long as there's a duck :v:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

oh God no please don't marry the high intrigue callous witch. That will not end well. (I would've voted for her since she shores up our huge deficiencies in intrigue and learning, but a callous, calm wife with a 0 intrigue wrathful husband? Lol no, that's a recipe for being cuckolded and murdered. Which could be fun of course, but let's try to avoid it on our very first dude maybe?)

hard toss-up between the other two, too - Vigdis would be great but basically the same as our main character, her strong genes would be a definite advantage for the future but with concubines you can always pop out a genius/herculean/handsome kid or three anyway. Also she's zealous and probably will want to blood eagle my custom courtier so there's that.

Guess that means I'm casting my vote for Ingrid - a wife that's not a bloodcrazed, violent axe/dagger wielding murderer but rather a decent person good with healing and plants could actually be an advantage? I hope? Also she's pretty and a redhead, I like that.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Finnish Flasher posted:

Forgot to mention but I will use console commands to make our wife our friend due to RP reasons so we would be safe from any hypothetical scenarios where our high intrigue witch wife wants to murder us because we are not as calm as she is.

Are we even playing Crusader Kings at this point? :v:

That said, I stick with my choice - this is a roleplaying game to me and while considering the latest info Angreboda would absolutely be the optimal choice (well depending on how witchcraft goes I guess, but quick is imo a few steps above the other congenital traits barring very specific circumstances), I still want a better wife for our dude than a callous manipulative witch.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Finnish Flasher posted:

We are playing heavily modded Crusader Kings with focus on reader interaction, crazy shenanigans and RP. Consoling our first wife to be our friend will make sense in Chapter 1 for RP purposes, and also to avoid spending all this time to have Angrboda murder us before we have a child.

Later on I won't be doing this sort of safety measures. If our future wives end up killing us, so be it. In fact it would be fun to have someone claim our wife/husband in the future and try to kill us so our child becomes top dog. But for now, this is a countermeasure to getting an early game over.

Of course, just joking around. Can't wait to see what comes out of this :)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Oh yeah this is good. :getin:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Rolando feels pretty confused by all these weird people and their weird habits, nevermind their language. He knows he won't go anywhere if he stays hidden in the shadows though, and his ambition makes him step forward to create a faction of warlike raiders for profit (Martial/Stewardship); he knows his way around a ledger and how to organise construction sites, but he is not so sure about his martial abilities, but hey, can't be much more difficult than swordfighting right? :v: hopefully someone will step in and provide some of the needed martial knowledge in case.

So the gist of it should be build more buildings, do so by raiding and sacking people I guess. Quicker than saving up!

e: or works towards doing so, since it's not possible to do it right away, missed that bit sorry :shobon:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 13, 2023

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Rolando definitely realizes that being alone in a different culture court isn't going to let him soar on the wings of his ambition. He must certainly befriend someone first, to avoid being singled out! He'd like to approach Nils since they seem to share a passion for economic things, and he seems to also be ambitious which could be cause for friction but also cause to be allied and push each other's claims/ambitions. Worth a try!

While he's at it, he might also want to do a hostile interaction - which would be using his stewardship ability to swindle some money out of some really unimportant and probably not too bright courtier who's bad with money, in order to build up a stash that could be used for bribing, gifting or any other emergency. He'd like to do it only if he thinks it's safe and he won't be executed for cheating at dice, scamming someone or things like that. (Note: I do realize that the character thinking it's safe absolutely doesn't mean that it is actually safe.)

There will be time for politicking and marrying later, right now he's got to get the basics down if he's to make a new life in this frozen island.

(It's the first time I play in such a narrative lp, if I'm doing something wrong or weirdly, point it out please :) )

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 16, 2023

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Finnish Flasher posted:

Rolando might want to keep his hostile schemes private by sending me a pm. :)

There technically aren't any laws to prevent someone from being a snake oil salesman yet, but it's easier for the Italian Stallion to scam someone out of money when he doesn't announce it in the village market. :italy:

Well, that makes sense. I was more thinking of targeting someone unnamed "behind the scenes" (afaik there's no way for non-rulers to get money except by random events? The only money making scheme I can think of is using hooks and the stewardship perk but that's not what I meant) but eh now the cat is out of the bag :shobon:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Finnish Flasher posted:

Chapter 3: Conquered, fertilized and killed

S: Please my chief, please listen to me, you must-

Angrboda sticks her knife in the godi's back, silencing him.

A: You fool. You are replacable. Abdullah is not.

The man falls on the floor, dying in silence.

Everyone is silent for a while.

:eyepop:

Rolando doesn't yet have more than a tenuous grasp on the Norse language, but he's practicing and learning new words everyday, enough to hold basic conversations - and a few of those conversations with Nils went very well; while Rolando's still not sure if this will be a long-lasting thing, for now he thinks he can count on him. A few days later, a child runs up to him - and tells him "Nils need you" and points to the longhouse, then runs off. Rolando doesn't understand why he would be needed there, but no matter what - he wants to prove himself to be available for his new friend, and if he called for him there must have been a good reason. Another chance to solidify this budding friendship! Later on he'll try to actually learn the language enough to have a full on conversation, but clearly there's other matters of importance first.

When arriving at the longhouse, after meeting Nils and having to promise confidentiality which he gladly confirms, he is brought before a thing he hadn't seen in a while - a murdered corpse, with a deep knife wound to the back, which he is asked to help "make disappear". Apparently, it's the tribe's priest. Rolando doesn't care much about religion and has seen his share of beatings and killings so he's not exactly fazed, but this is still... quite worrying. If a high-ranking courtier like the Godi was murdered and they're just tossing his body away so unceremoniously... what could happen to a stranger, only recently arrived at the tribe and without a position? He must definitely tread carefully around here so he decides it's best not to ask, not to tell, and just provide the help which is needed.

"Nils, my friend, please bring me a couple of wooden boxes big enough to fit those feet. And some limestone powder and water, for mixing cement... don't worry, it's not my first time. The body will be hidden and forgotten, and shortly no one will even remember. I'll just need a little help carrying it to that out of the way cliff, overlooking the sea..."

Once the deed is done, they part ways and Rolando starts thinking about death, which apparently comes fast and loose around these parts. He has a friend now, and his position is getting more solid by the day, but friendships can end and Thoke clearly isn't a forgiving, soft type. He must do better than this - he must start a family, ideally with a local woman to be even more integrated, and if something happens to him the family name will at least live on. His understanding of Norse is shaky but he's pretty sure he heard some of the women say his name, that he's Italian, and the word "stallion" in the same phrase, which is a welcome boost to his confidence; having followed closely the courtship and eventual wedding of Thoke, he wants to try his hand at winning over one of the ladies left behind by the chief, thinking that if he can score such a desirable lady, his prestige inside the tribe will surely rise. He thus would like to court Ingrid and try to win her heart, because she is very pretty, seems to have a sweet and easy disposition, everyone in the tribe seem to hold her in high regards due to her friendly and diplomatic nature, and she tends her own garden - Rolando puts on a tough act, but he terribly misses the flowers and gardens of Italy, at least if he can manage to woo Ingrid they'll have a home full of beautiful flowers (even if he has to sail back to Europe to get them!) rather than moss and lichens which seem to be the only plant growing naturally here. Actually, he's going to rifle through his meager possessions to see if he saved some dried Italian flowers from his earlier travels, that would make an ideal gift to start this courtship...

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 18, 2023

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Rolando thinks about it for a while, but in the end decides that it's way too early for him to go back to anywhere near Italy and it would be a very long and risky raid, and he isn't ready to suggest something that could fail and drive the chief to anger, especially if he's the only one suggesting it...

He thus shows support for the chancellor's plan to raid Britannia. It's close, rich in plunder and everyone else is pillaging it so why should we leave the spoils to them?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Finnish Flasher posted:

Seems to be pretty unanimous for Britannia, I'll go ahead and play for a while.

I'm trying to not play too far ahead so people don't have periods of time where they aren't doing any schemes. If people want to we could allow for queueing schemes. You can tell me your character wants to:

Befriend x
Learn blademaster from y
Seduce z

In that order. That way I can play a bit longer ahead. Then when I do an update you can of course adjust your schemes. What do you think?

I am not really getting a sense of how time is passing in game, but this sounds like a good idea.

Rolando, after courting Ingrid as stated, plans to learn Architect from his friend Nils. Then it's time to learn Norse, subject to seeing what will happen....

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Finnish Flasher posted:

Didn't notice this first but unfortuntely architect is a lifestyle finisher and can't be learned or taught. You need to be lucky in the faction improvement rolls to get that one, or become landed and get it the vanilla way. Of course right now I can't land you since we need to be a Duke to create a County level vassal and we are not there yet.

Ok then let's switch that out and, after courting Ingrid, Rolando will try to learn Norse, then learn blademaster level 2 from one of the courtiers that has it (I am pretty sure I saw several - Emund looks like a fierce enough warrior and he is also diligent...), sparring to prepare himself for the coming raids.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jan 20, 2023

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Rolando is overjoyed. His courtship came to fruition and now he is a member of the tribe, by all accounts. His friend Nils seems to have a strong and well-deserved grip on the steward position, thus after finally learning Norse with the help of his poet wife he will definitely start training to advance his blademaster skills, as planned, so he might have a go at a spot in the next raids.

Regarding factions, I would like to correct the suggestion of the warlike raiders for profit a bit - in order to build more buildings we should first acquire more land to build those in first since we are already building a palisade in our main hold, and it still stays within the scope of warring and sacking.

Is that fine?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Finnish Flasher posted:

Acquire more land is fine for one part yes, it would need a second one still.

Acquire more land, and raise a runestone on it should work well in favor of the tribe and the pockets of everyone involved.

Rolando, as the one putting forth the idea, would like to personally oversee the eventual construction...

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Finnish Flasher posted:

With Nils supporting the WRP, they have now 10 influence from characters. They also have one vote from a reader so that brings them to 11 influence.

Currently Hidden Wisdom has two demands ready while WRP only has one. If a faction does not use all their available demands they are simply left unused.

As Rolando has already put forth his suggestion, he doesn't want to be seen as overbearing - he's waiting for Nils to make another demand or proposal, and if he won't, then just the demand to get more land and build a runestone will stand, that's quite enough to start with.

He also requests an audience with the Chief. His Norse isn't perfect but he hopes to make himself clear enough.

"Most honorable and powerful Thoke, I kneel before your might; my gratitude for hosting this poor exile, chased away from his homelands, knows no bounds - and I shall try to repay your magnanimity in the best way I know. My expertise resides in constructing grand buildings, realizing projects and overseeing economic activities; I am convinced that in order to expand your fame and prestige in all the known world, as is truly well deserved and even necessary, the tribe will need to build monuments and legacies that will stand the test of time.

I have taken the liberty of discussing such matters with your Steward, Nils the architect - a recognized expert in building whose masonry ability eclipses that of anyone else here - and we are in agreement over this; glory in battle, hoarding precious loot and returning triumphant with slaves and concubines for our warriors is godly indeed, but in a few years the loot will be spent, new battles will have taken place, and warriors might die or retire. What will remain then to remind the tribe of these glorious times? The warriors are great at fighting, but when the fighting is over they only think of the next raid. We humbly suggest that building incredible monuments the likes of which have never been seen in these lands, buildings that will be admired for many long years and where the tribe's mighty warriors might eat, train and feast will make the glory gained in battle that much greater and be an example, and a factual real help, for future generations of mighty warriors - and not just them but also our craftsmen, our holy men, and all the free men who swear allegiance to the powerful Thoke too!

We do thus recognize that your ambition to conquer and rule over more land is just and smart, but we would also like to make sure that in the excitement of blood and pillage, we as a tribe don't forget to set the bases for the long and prosperous rule of our Chief, soon-to-be Jarl - and we propose to erect an intricately carved runestone, symbol of the might of our people, in the lands we will conquer!"

Out-of-character edit: Jossar, let me know if you want to discuss what we should do as a faction. I tried PM'ing you with no success, but I guess we can find a way if we want to :)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 24, 2023

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Rolando is almost overjoyed. Having been bestowed a position at court and found a wife, his position is finally solid enough to start thinking about long term plans. There is plenty of work to keep a man busy and his arms are sore from all the blademaster training, but he confidently keeps at it in order to gain even more respect in battle; the greatest rewards are to be reaped in the field of war, blade in hand. If he can keep in the chief's good graces, he might be even granted some land someday...

For now, after finishing training, he will try to seduce his wife Ingrid, because it is time for a new generation to spring forth from the passion of their loins.

(Is it possible to learn blademaster tier 3 by training? If so I would like to queue it after seducing Ingrid...)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 4, 2023

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Got it. Looks like gaining favor in war will be hard with all the awesome warriors we have, a knight spot looks to be real hard to get. Rolando is but a little baby compared to the tribe's main warriors, even with blademaster tier 2 I'm afraid :v:

Then let's queue learning gardener from Ingrid after seducing her!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Rolando, as the self-proclaimed head of the Warlike Raiders for Profit, puts forth another suggestion, though it won't be much different... we proved our might against the neighbors and our warriors are incredibly powerful, so we should conquer more land, a lot more land, so that the mighty Thoke will have such a vast demesne that he will find it beneficial to grant some land to his courtiers and turn them into faithful vassals.

Of course, logic dictates that members of the faction should definitely be considered among the first to receive this honor, what with being expert stewards...

(I don't quite remember how gaining stats/perks through factions work, do we have to request something or does it happen automatically? Fulfilled requests do have positive effects besides not making Thoke more stressed?)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Goddamnit Rolando, put your back into it, we aren't going anywhere if you keep being mediocre :argh:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Rolando agrees with the suggestion of Ireland; not only it's a bit greener, but it would be a great stepping stone to the fertile and rich England, and a good base for staging raids in France or even in the Mediterranean.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Rolando is absolutely overjoyed. Going from a refugee coming from far away lands to ruling over his own land! Granted, it's a cold and lonely island in the middle of the sea, but compared to what awaited him at home? Phew. He already spotted some viable space for new farmlands, and can't help but notice his island is right between the tribe's capital and the newly conquered jarldom, and there's bound to be people traveling back and forth all the time... maybe he can figure out a way to turn it into a rest stop or trading post of sorts, make some money out of it, especially if the tribe expands into Alba too. With the help of his lovely wife he'll try to recreate gardens in his castle, as much as the weather allows, and be a good father for his son Ragnar, teaching him all he can.

About the realm at large... the looming of king Björn is one of the potential reasons why he thought to steer clear from Norway, feeling that the tribe's - and his - future would be better served by raiding and eventually maybe even conquering the rich southern european regions. Being under such a powerful king would surely be a defensive advantage, and we could become much more powerful by directly conquering land from bigger realms which would be nice indeed... but it could also turn out to be a curse, as the realm may fracture on succession and end up being more of a burden by being subjects to the whims of someone else, and be much more subject to the meddling that bigger kingdoms inevitably have.

And also the fact that the proud free men of Iceland shouldn't just bend the knee so easily and for just a potential advantage in the future that may or may not come to fruition. Things seem to be going well for us after all so far, and Björn probably barely knows we exist. An alliance might be a better avenue...

Besides, he knows nothing about Björn himself, his family or how his realm is set up; so he opts to wait a little and review what he knows about the tribe and all other current affairs before giving his opinion about any matter.

Can we have some info about Björn, as much as the tribe knows anyway? :)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 1, 2023

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Finnish Flasher posted:

Would it be too easy for you guys if I let you know what alliance options are currently available for us?

I'd personally like it, I'm used to "vanilla" ck3 and already not knowing basically anything about other people/realms/rulers is giving me anxiety :v: but whatever everyone else thinks is also fine by me.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Finnish Flasher posted:

Currently WRP would be number one and they would be able to make four demands, but have yet to make any. I'll keep this up open for a bit so that they would have at least one.
Faction for the Betterment of Iceland or FBI would be second, and could make two demands. Currently there is only one, but Abdullah can come up with his own as well.

I'll leave this up for a few days and allow potential readers to still vote or join factions.

Oh crap I thought I posted.

Rolando for the WRP would like to put forth the following demands: first of all, increase control in the realm where needed to pacify the last uppity locals who disagree with Thoke's rule. Then building more economic buildings, at least one of which in Shetland. Also expanding the realm by at least 3 counties is always a good idea and lines up with those plans of conquering holy sites and new jarldoms... though, in case his friend Nils has better ideas he'd certainly defer to his superior experience as chieftain and councilor.

As far as alliances go, diplomacy is not what the faction is interested in, but he'd personally be doubtful of an alliance with Sweden - Bjorn has lived many long years already and we'd have to call on the alliance sooner rather than later, before it "expires" let's say. But he also doesn't know much about other realms, so can't suggest anyone else...

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Rolando, despite being cynical, has pretty clear ambitions to become influential, rich and respected, and also upgrade or increase his demesne to become a powerful and faithful vassal to Thoke; thus he would like to learn the ways of the Seidr in advance, so that he could be considered for a council spot someday before other non-seidr people. Plus, it sounds like it's a good way to bond even more with Thoke, the councilors and other important people in the realm.

Yay, thread's back! Could I get a full screenshot of Rolando's current profile/skills/traits/etc?

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 12, 2023

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Finnish Flasher posted:

Who does Rolando try to learn seidr from?

He'd ask his friend Thoke, if he isn't too busy with training counselors.. in which case, any Seidr willing to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Finnish Flasher posted:

I'm sorry but I have to declare this thread dead. With a new job and an IRL baby on the way I unfortunately can't spare the time to continue with this LP. I might start a new one later when I have more time.

:smith: well it's been fun while it lasted. Hopefully we can have another go later on (and with the new mechanics from Tours&Tournaments maybe...)

Best of luck with job and baby. Make it a Seidr ASAP!