Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I would like to Claim Vemunda Svartrfrigga, brother to Angrboda and by marriage, our Chief.

Proud, he is, of his sister's Seidr-skills, and he seeks to Learn from Angrboda the craft of the Witch. Listening to herb-lore and spell-lore, aiding the grunt-work carrying what is necessary but heavy where it needs to go, seeing to it that everything is accounted for and available.

He also wishes to found the Hidden Wisdom faction (Stewardship/Intrigue). To promote the study of arts and sciences for the benefit of the realm, to promote the Seidr-ways and encourage coven membership especially amongst the ruling family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Vémundr Svartrfrigga, Chancellor

I thank you for the honour and trust of this task, my liege. I have looked over the candidates, and it strikes me that we may be able to send a powerful message with our choice. Our... unfortunately absent prior Godi had some ill-fitting views on learning from beyond our shores: What better way to be seen to repudiate them, than to choose one taken from far lands, and immersed in our culture and ways? One proven by their learning, gifted with craft and guile.

My liege, call forth Erika Liu as our next Godi.

______

Vémundr sees Erika's insinuating power play, and approves. He will gladly accept her help to further his studies, and will strengthen the faction by empowering her.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

"My brother and my liege, as chancellor it rests on me to consider not only what we may gain, but also what it may cost. Our ships are well-built, our warriors hardy, fierce and proven in battle. We will earn the gild of our raids through the strength of our arms and the bravery of our leaders. But as all of that might is gaining plunder abroad, making us rich and feared, it isn't here. So, while we will not fear any to the south and east, from the far realms whence our Godi came, to the self-styled empires at the far end of the middle sea, the better option is striking closer to home."

Vémundr points firmly at Britannia.

"Here are countless lesser islands where we might exploit our advantage in ships. Even the mainlands, greater and lesser, we may travel swifter by sea and up river than inland forces. They are closest to our home, so our ships laden with plunder will be surer to bring it back. let us go here first, and build up yet greater strength for further ventures."

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jan 19, 2023

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Vemundr would reciprocate Erika's help once learned in Seidrcraft and help her become fluent in Norse. It is possible this might draw them closer.

Ziegedame, any objections to the Chancellor and Godi pursuing a marital tie?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Vémundr wants a good marriage for his sister Alvor, someone of renown who will treat her well. Snorri, grown comfortable, needs a fierce wife, a warrior who will keep him on his toes, someone who will complement his fine mind. Gudrun, we'll see how she develops.

For his own schemes, Seducing or romancing Erika to strengthen their bond, then Spreading Witchcraft as a default, prioritising family, then those in power.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Finnish Flasher posted:

Btw you of course have the option of arranging a matrilineal marriage for your sisters. In game this could be reasoned that their spouse is not nearly as distinguished as a Svartrfrigga so their children would clearly want to be considered as part of their mother's dynasty, rather than their fathers. This has the benefit of increasing your house's numbers, but of course a patrilineal marriage can help the chancellor arrange alliances with powerful people.

Matrilineal unless the match is significantly more powerful, and of benefit to the realm. (Which currently it wouldn't be, given Svartrfriggas are unlanded?)

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

ZiegeDame posted:

Oh boy, you went for it!

Marriage, as a political paring for security and power, is one thing. Love is another matter entirely. Erika is far too paranoid to simply accept Vemundr's advances as face value. While she does not reject this scheme outright, she will impede it's progress by setting a series of increasingly outlandish and arbitrary tasks for her new husband to prove his love.

Vemundr is an ambitious man. If it was going to be easy, would it truly be worth doing? Vemundr is an arrogant man. No matter how difficult, he believes he is up to the task. Most importantly, Vemundr is a gregarious man, and as a talented chancellor, silver-tongued as well. So, he takes the challenges in unflappably good humour, presenting the latest trinket demanded with a smile and a flourish, no hint of dismay when told the next one. With arrogance and ambition entwined in a steely determination to see it through, wrapped in a cloak of civility and disarming grace, he intends to prove these advances have true depth in them, and true power behind them. Besides which, with their little one on the way, it is the ideal time to go around and make the mother-to-be's life easier, for sooner or later a need for comfort may supersede the arbitrariness. Either way, this should be fun.

In any case, there are matters on which they need to collaborate. For the Hidden Wisdom demands, Vemundr proposes Learn the way of Siedr and Bring war to the Christians, pending Erika's approval or alteration as current faction head.

Vemundr is delighted his brother in law and liege seeks to be on better terms and is receptive and encouraging.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

ZiegeDame posted:

Also, baby names! If it's a girl, Erika will name her daughter Fredrika

If it's a boy, Vemundr will propose Erik.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Vemundr votes for Vemundr and Erika's suggestions.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Finnish Flasher posted:

If WRP and HW are still tied I will decide the dominant faction based on members trying to convince the chief of their views via RP posted here. If there's no RP I will flip a coin.

"My brother and my liege, soon to be my Jarl, you know I have studied well the mysteries that our respective wives have mastered, wisdom such that mighty Odin was willing to part with an eye and hang from Yggdrasil for. There is power here, real power, and you, who have led us all to riches and have brought such joy to my sister, deserve to have that power as well. The Christians fear it greatly, so let us make them doubly afraid. The weakling milk-drinkers cling to the lands which are yours by right, let us sweep them aside as you ascend."

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Vemundr's next objective is Teaching Witchcraft, firstly helping Thoke and then to family members and courtiers. Killing this woman is something to be savored.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Vemundr will keep teaching the ways of the Seidr, first to mother, then to the Svartrfrigga siblings.

Hidden Wisdom is willing to back up and reinforce the Loyalists, save for any demands Erika has. The children of Thoke are not yet old enough to be raised as witches.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Can Erika also be given a county, and thus be restored to the council?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Vemundr concurs that Ireland is filled with weak prey.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
An alliance with Sweden seems reasonable. Bending the knee does not. Water links most of our realm with a few land borders, land links most of his with a few water borders, the two need different approaches.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

ZiegeDame posted:

As for personal schemes. Erika thinks it's time to turn her attention to the next generation, and will begin instructing her children in the seiđr ways. (Is this even necessary or will children raised by witches automatically get the witch trait when they come of age?)

There's a 'Found Witch Coven' decision which the house head can take when a house has 7 adult members, of whom at least 60% have the witch trait including the heir. All children educated by witches automatically get witched, and every member's conversion success rate goes up, in addition to a dynasty trait. Vemundr is aiming for this and wishes to do it when possible, and advises his friend, brother and fellow Seidr Thoke to do the same.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Vemundr sees which way the wind is blowing and jumps ship to the Faction for the Betterment of Iceland, to shore up its influence.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
All councillors should be witches, non-witch councillors should be converted by an existing witch most likely to succeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Vemundr will teach or help with Seidr instruction as is needed, where directed, defaulting to his family or the royal family if/when all councillors are accounted for..