Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

Hi there, my name is Finnish Flasher, welcome to my first attempt at a Let’s Play!

Introduction

I have been a big Paradox fan since 2017 when I got EU4 and have always enjoyed reading the various Paradox LPs, such as Al-Andalus megacampaign or CK2 Denmark. If you don’t know anything about CK3, you should check out the main thread here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3937583

To my knowledge, I’m sorry if I’m mistaken, there hasn’t been a CK3 LP yet. I’ve been doing some creative writing recently and figured this would be good practice. I have all the CK3 dlc released so far and all of them will be enabled. I will also be using a ton of mods so this will definitely not be an ironman run. There will be user participation as well so I will probably be doing some console shenanigans if need be.

Who will we be playing as?

This will be the only thing not up to vote. We will be a tribal Norse Asatru male custom ruler starting as a count in 867. Counts are the lowest possible title you can start with, and being male will make it easier for us to have lots of kids via concubines to make sure we don't get a game over in 4 years. Although I will be using a mod that has us start with siblings so we would be playing as our brother in case we die without an heir.
Being a tribal Norse Asatru ruler allows for a great deal of flexibility. We can stay in Scandinavia if we want to, or we can conquer North Africa and become camel riding Vikings who turned to Islam and worship Allah by having orgies. That is not a joke, we could do that if we wanted to.
I will be giving more options on our starting character later on.

So, a Paradox LP. That means user participation, right?

You’re goddamn right. You can submit a name, personality traits, age range, culture and faith and even a little biography for why you are in my court at the start of the game if you want to. Everything can be made to work, since we are playing as a Viking and might have captured someone from Iberia or Egypt who was then recruited into our court, or maybe you’re simply a traveler from far away. Just keep in mind that the ruler might always end up being a sadistic zealous cannibal who will imprison you and eat you piece by piece if you worship the wrong gods. People can also claim an unclaimed adult courtier if they don’t have a character yet.
Your characters might become landed, they might get married, they might have children. If they do, you will be playing as their heir when they inevitably die. Even if you don’t become landed, you might still have power in the court by being good enough to be an advisor to the player character, or by joining a...

Faction.

Factions are groups of likeminded people who want to make the ruler see things their way. Maybe they want to conquer some neighboring provinces. Maybe they want to seek alliances to strengthen the realm. Maybe they want to tell the ruler where the next raid should be directed, because there will be raiding, we’re starting as Vikings after all.
Factions are stronger if the characters in them are:

Competent in their skills.
Landed.
Council members.
Friends or family of the ruler.

Just a heads-up, our wife/husband will always be up for grabs if not already claimed and they will have A LOT of influence over us. Our first wife will also have much higher stats than normally allowed, so she will be an extremely competent character.

As power in the medieval times stemmed from legitimacy and support from other nobles and the people, the ruler knows that it would be wise to listen to these requests. Their personality traits play a role, however. A kind, compassionate ruler is unlikely to execute their prisoners just because people tell him to.
Or he does it anyway out of fear of unrest, gets a mental breakdown and becomes insane. You never know.

Do you have any goals?

No. I will try to play the characters as their personalities dictate, along with how different factions whisper in their ear.

What mods will you be using?

A lot of cosmetic and quality of life that I won’t be going over all of them unless someone specifically asks. Mods such as EPE, CFP, full screen barbershop, extended outliner, you get the idea.
RICE and VIET– Flavor and immersion mods.
Unique buildings plus – Adds a bunch of new unique buildings everywhere, expect every de jure kingdom to have something new. Some of them are incredibly strong, but due to another mod I’ll be using I’ll have no way of knowing where they are before I find one by owning the province myself.
Catholic trinity – More flavor for Catholicism, makes college of cardinals a thing and should prevent teenage popes from happening.
New sensible family – I’ll be generating a couple siblings for myself, this will also set the story of our LP in motion. You’ll see later on what I mean.
Councillor’s experience trait – Councillor’s all over the world can become better at their jobs with time.
Invite custom character – Self-explanatory, I will show it off later.
My own mod that changes asatru religion slightly. It moves a couple holy sites that I find too unrealistic and it changes some of the virtues and sins.
Obfusckate – An incredible mod that changes CK3 completely. No longer can you simply choose the most skilled councilor, invite the best knights into your service or check exactly how many soldiers the King of France is currently able to levy. We will only have limited information on characters we realistically would know about through word of mouth. Characters in our realm or close to us we would obviously know more about. We also can’t check what buildings are already built in a province outside our realm, nor how many buildings are possible to be built. So we can’t look around for juicy OP buildings that UBP adds and pick our targets based on those. The world is a big place, and we know very little of it.

So enough about mods, you said something about options regarding our starting character?

Yes. Like I said, we’ll be playing as a tribal Norse Asatru male in 867. But where exactly and what sort of person we’ll be is up to vote.

The options for our starting area are:

A - Austrland, in Iceland.

B - Gotland, in the Baltic sea.

C - Sogn, off the coast of Norway.

D - Ångermanland, in northern Sweden.

All of these starts are different in their own way. Austrland is isolated from mainland Scandinavia, which could be considered both good and bad, and is safe from strong neighbours if we manage to consolidate.
Gotland is a defensible island, but it’s only one county so if we want to expand we need to either take on stronger Viking rulers in mainland Scandinavia or go for Baltics/North Poland. Or something else entirely. Sogn is in Norway, and everyone around is pretty much equal to us in strength. It’s a race to see who becomes strong enough to not get rekt by one of the bigger rulers in Denmark or Sweden. And finally Ångermanland starts with neighbours to the north that are different culture and religion, making diplomacy difficult. Also the King of Sweden will be coming for our lands at some point as he’s right there and we are De Jure his territory.

Alright let’s get started.

Vote for where we will be starting, and what kind of a person we are. I already have a name in mind. Age will be 20-30 but you should vote for one education/lifestyle and three traits. A full list can be found here:

https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Traits

We will have exactly three personality traits and then as much other stuff as I can afford with points. Better personality traits cost more, harmful traits actually cost negative points, meaning you can afford better stuff elsewhere. Leftover points will increase our education/lifestyle level and pump it’s according stat. I will be trying to make a character that has the most-voted personality traits without going over 400, which is the limit for this playthough. For reference, a 25 year old character with a level 1 education, no traits and lowest stats possible is only 67 points. Higher stats become exponentially more expensive, so picking a couple cheap personality traits can allow us to get a higher score in our primary stat.

The following traits are off-limits, any votes for them will be ignored.

Pure-blooded. Sterile. Eunuch. Disfigured. All lifestyle completionist traits. Celibate. All infamous traits except for deviant, witch and cannibal. All health and disease traits except for blind. All dynasty traits, all descendant traits, all decision traits and all event traits except for berserker and poet.

You can vote for blademaster, hunter, mystic, reveler and physician, but only the first levels.

Everone who votes for a martial education can also vote for one commander trait, I'm cheating a bit and we'll be guaranteed one if we end up with a martial education.

If everyone only votes for personality traits, I will only choose personality traits. If you want a giant cannibal witch, you better vote for one. Just to be clear, I will be ignoring any non-personality traits that don't make it to top 10 of all traits.

You can also submit a character of your own.

Your character will start in my court. Choose exactly three personality traits, an education/lifestyle, a gender, a sexuality (default is straight while gay, lesbian, bi and asexual are also available), faith, culture and as many other traits (non-personality) as you want to. You should also probably give your character a name and a dynasty, otherwise I will generate them at random.

Because of the mod I made, certain things are different when it comes to Asatru. Virtues are brave, generous, gregarious and ambitious (along with poet and one-eyed), while sins are craven, deceitful, greedy and content.

You may write a small biography of yourself and if you make compelling reasons as to why your character should be over 400 points, I will consider making exceptions. Unlike with my starting character, there are no limit to your age or the amount of traits you have. Older characters might be more skilled and perhaps have more traits than others.

You can’t be a child, it’s time to grow up.

Give me a short description of your characters physique, such as “a tall blond man”. If you own the game you may paste a link to a DNA and I will use it. If you don’t own the game https://www.reddit.com/r/CKTinder/ has tons of character DNAs, some are just cool original characters, some are celebrities and some are characters from games, tv-shows and films. I’m sure you’ll find at least one that will suit your character.

I cannot emphasize how much I hope you’ll provide a DNA link, I would not like to create 30 DNAs myself and the faster I create all of your characters the faster I can get started on playing my first ruler.

Say if you want to have siblings, and I will roll an RNG to see how many you get. You may still get 0, but that is unlikely. If your character is very exotic, for example a captured Andalusian princess, you won’t be getting siblings. Siblings are mainly reserved for characters that are also Norse and Asatru.
If you want to be married, that can also be arranged. Make a very short description of your spouse. You may also choose to be single and ready to mingle, I’m sure there are plenty of other courtiers that are looking for love.

Lastly, it is only possible to create your own character before the first chapter begins. After that you may claim unclaimed adult characters that appear in my court. Don’t worry, I’ll make sure to invite plenty of random people to my court whenever there is need, and I’m using a mod that lets me pay money to have new courtiers show up (which have a chance to be amazing).

First person to claim her can be my wife. Trust me, she's going to be awesome.

I’ll be waiting at least a couple days before starting the game to give people a chance to come up with a character, more if people keep submitting.

That is all. I hope you participate if you have read this far.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Mechanics

1: Factions, what are they and how do they work.

2: Minor update regarding faction influence, demands, laws.

3: Personal and hostile schemes.

4: Buildings, culture and decisions (and our other, fancier men-at-arms).

Chapters

0: Our ruler and his new wife.

Who Wants To Marry a Viking?

1: A time of grief and love, 1st of January - 867 - 4th of October - 867.

2: The young and the bold, 5th of October 867 - 1st of January 868.

3: Conquered, fertilized and killed, 2nd of January 868 - 6th of November 868.

4: A new Gydja, a new life and new plans, 7th of November 868 - 16th of January 870.

Ásta's ambitions.

5: Britannia will have no peace, 17th of January 870 - 2nd of October 871.

6: The first Ting and it's demands, 3nd of October 871 - 6th of February 874.

7: Dominance, 7th of February 874 - 31st of December 874.

8: Ég hef verið gjörður seiðr, 1st of January 875 - 31st of December 876.

9: The second Ting and lots of babies, 1st of January 877 - 29th of October 877.

10: Hello mainland, 30th of October 877 - 31st of December 881.

Current list of unclaimed courtiers

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 1, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
I forgot to mention that two of the other three rulers in Iceland are Christian, which is of course going to escalate things no matter what.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

Coward posted:

A

Iceland Iceland Iceland!

And I don't care what traits we have, as long as we are a dwarf.

Might come back and write up a dwarf courtier.

Unfortunately I have to ask that you pick two more traits, otherwise dwarf will be overrepresented.

So far the votes are:

A - 3
B - 1
C - 0
D - 2

If any of the options reaches ten votes, I'm considering it the winner. Feel free to vote on our rulers traits in the meantime.

You might be happy to know that our ruler has just asked a woman to be his wife, who happily said yes. The two of course had known each other for some time, their fathers were friends.

But who might that woman be?

Don't vote on our wife just yet, first let's choose our start and our rulers traits.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 3, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

Torrannor posted:

A

Iceland is a nice, relaxed start, once you consolidate the island.

I don't care about our ruler's traits too much. I like wrathful for out starting guy though. Designing/breeding a perfect ruler can be nice, but the real meat of the trait system is how it influences your playstyle. If you usually employ a ton of assassins to make your rule secure, certain combinations of traits make this a no-go and force you to play the game differently, which is great.

I have to ask you two pick two other traits as well, but your vote for A counts.

To encourage people to vote for both the starting locations and our starting traits, I will be posting some (at least 5) custom courtiers that offer some interesting RP possibilities. Most of them will be influential in factions due to being either friends with our ruler, or competent in their skills.
Those who have voted for both starting location and our rulers traits, will get dibs on these courtiers on a first come first serve basis.

Currently that would be McGavin, who would get to pick first.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Some characters for you guys to claim if you don't want to create your own but want to participate.

Emund
is a loyal, if a little rough, man who has no time for bullshit. He gave his oath to serve our father, and he intends to serve us as well.
He is wrathful, diligent and just with the best martial education. He is a fierce warrior, having killed many enemies with his berserker strength. An aggressive attacker, he is also a strategist and knows how to lead armies. The gods have blessed him with a strong body.

Halla is a foreigner from the lands of the Finns. She sought refuge in our court, but would not say from who or why. Our father accepted her, what will happen to her now?
She is calm, patient and vengeful with the best intrigue education. She is a an intelligent woman with skin and hair white as snow, who knows all about different sorts of plants. Some whisper she is a witch.

Aslak (whose name I will change as it's apparently a modern version of the old name Asleikr) is a capable fighter. He fought in our fathers battles as a skilled warrior, but he ultimately only acts on his own interests. Will he serve us as well?
He is patient, ambitious and cynical with the best intrigue education. He is an intelligent blademaster, who is no stranger to schemes and has lead many raiding parties in foreign lands.

Abdullah was taken prisoner in a raid many years ago. The strangers had mistaken him for a rich noble and kidnapped him in hopes of ransom. He was not rich, but he was offered a position as a healer once they realized he knew the ways of the human body well, having saved many a life back in his homeland. Our father knew he could count on Abdullah to do his best to save anyone in our tribe, but what do we think about him?
He is temperate, compassionate and honest with the best learning education. He is a genius and the best goddamn doctor you could hope for in the medieval world.

If you have voted for starting location and ruler traits you may claim one of these.

You may notice that there are no numbers representing the skills, instead they are listed in tiers.
A tier is the best, followed by B, C, D and F. There are not many people in the world with A in something, it is very rare. B is generally very good. C is competent and D is not exactly great. F is pretty much abysmal
Prowess is unchanged so you always know which of your courtiers make for good knights.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 3, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

TorakFade posted:

A, Iceland looks nice and cozy and we can always Varangian to a sunnier island later on.

a Brave, Wrathful, Patient guy with a Skilled Tactician education (or Tough soldier is fine if we're short on points I guess) and Reaver commander trait sounds very good for a viking, there'll be time for failsons to shine later. Can we only give 3 traits in total, or can we "add" a trait or two outside those? Or if I wanted to say add that we're a Giant and an Aspiring Blademaster I'd have to not vote for 2 of the 3 personality traits?

Also how do I make my own character and share the DNA? I'd like to make a courtier :shobon:

Edit: nvm figured it out, here's the pastebin DNA for Rolando of the Glandi dynasty, a 25 year old Italian culture man who's good with money, and made a lot of it quickly by unsavory ways - and when the inevitable reckoning came he fled as far as he possibly could to .. hmm, wherever we end up, which is guaranteed to be very remote from Italy anyway :v: a Fortune Builder who can't be described as but Ambitious and Diligent, though his being Cynical and not God-fearing enough might have contributed to lead him to his current predicament. Made it easy to convert to Asatru religion though, after all if you don't really believe in one God you can just as well not really believe in many Gods. He's also genetically Quick with a sharp wit, and not new to fighting as an Aspiring Blademaster, so let's see if a tough, smart guy good with money and decent at intrigue can make a completely new life in whatever freezing wasteland we end up in. Maybe score himself a concubine and start a family too... but really, let's just hope his lungs will remain inside his chest at all times first and foremost.

(Is that how to do it? I created the character and saved it in the ruler designer, I tinkered a bit with the stats to keep it under 400... I can share the screen? Sorry I'm new to this.)

Also here's the dynasty crest of House Glandi

and the motto is "Nemo anas impune lacessit"

vvv e:e: thanks, I figured it out quite quickly but took forever to actually do it and post the write-up :)

For our player character it is indeed only 3 traits total, so you could for example vote for a brave, wrathful blademaster. Or a giant, brave blademaster.
Voting for a martial education allows you to also vote for 1 commander trait. If martial education wins we will start with the most voted one, if there's a tie I'll either use RNG or just decide which fits more with our character. For example a craven, paranoid military man might be more of a reaver or an organizer than an aggressive attacker.

For you own character you can request as many traits as you want. I'll try to make requested courtiers with the same point cap as myself unless they are given interesting backstories/personalities in which case they will be getting an increased point cap. Your character is already more interesting than generic-viking-man#5 so he has a good chance of having the gods bless him with more points. If nothing else, these points will translate to higher stats in areas your character seems competent, which in your case would be stewardship and prowess.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 4, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Votes are now

A - 5
B - 1
C - 0
D - 2

Iceland seems to be dominating pretty well. If nothing drastic happens we will start there. I will do our character this weeks sunday and post the first chapter so there is still time to vote.
If you want to have a custom courtier, post one before sunday, I can't make them after I have created my character and clicked start game.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

TorakFade posted:

Excellent thanks. I will go with brave, wrathful, blademaster for our main character's traits then!

I tried to load your character DNA but it gave an invalid DNA error. It seems your hair and beard are an affront to Thor as these lines

override={
portrait_modifier_overrides={
custom_beards=male_beard_western_03
custom_hair=male_hair_byzantine_02
}
}

entity={ 0 0 }
}

cause the problem.

I copied the DNA but left the last parts out and it worked, but I want to make sure this is what your character is supposed to look like.

If you want a different hair or beard let me know, it could be that you have a hair/facial hair mod that I'm not using. I'm making your character now but I can always edit the appearance afterwards.

edit. also can you try to copypaste your dynasty coat of arms?

edit2. i actually managed to recreate it but cant figure out how to make the duck look the other way :bang:

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 5, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
In that case Rolando is ready to start his new life! :black101:

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
A little bit of info on voting and factions.

There will be several factions from the start, and simply put, they get to vote internally on which propositions they whisper into the rulers ear. Factions with proportionally high voting power (members) get to whisper more things. Factions with minimal power get to say minimal things.
Factions are directly related to our rulers lifestyle, and are the only way to change it. Initially I will pick a lifestyle that suits our characters education.

Voting in factions is going to be allowed for everyone, but those with claimed characters will have more voting power. The following things will increase their voting power.
Being landed. Being friends or lovers of the ruler. Being on the council. Having a high skill in the faction associated with their education. I will work out the specific numbers later, as there is still time before factions become relevant (the first and second chapters at least are going to be just me roleplaying the character without outside influence apart from his personality traits).

This represents highly skilled individuals, or simply those our ruler likes, influencing his decisions, while also allowing the unwashed masses to have their say, and could end up causing revolts if the people we are ruling over feel that their needs are neglected. But surely that won't cause problems, right?

suuuurelyyyy

If you have thoughts or feedback, feel free to let me know.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

Luca_024 posted:

I vote A for Island rules the waves!

My votes for Traits are Wrathful, Diligent, Aspiring Blademaster. War takes effort to win.
Education is Skilled Tactician, with a side of Reaver, to help with those raids.

Also, I don't know if latecomers are allowed to claim courtiers, but in the case we are, I dib on Abdullah.

Yep everyone can claim a courtier if they have voted on starting location and traits. As others have not claimed anyone, Abdullah is yours!

ChaosStar0 posted:

For Location I vote for C, let's try to become King of Norway. With regards to the player, I actually favor Diplomacy, Stewardship, and Learning, so any of those Educations. As for his traits Gregarious, Diligent, and Just, have him be the bestest boy.

Also, here's my character. Female, Red Hair, Blue Eyes, 5'8", Long double braid hairstyle, Irish, Celtic(Would have to add Celtic Paganism mod, Generic Pagan otherwise), Bisexual, Charismatic Negotiator, Brave, Patient, and Just, remaining points into Diplomacy, Learning, and Prowess. I'd link a DNA, but don't know how to.

If you go to the screen where you can customize your character further, you should see a Copy DNA button.

It's there at the bottom. You can then paste it into pastebin and post the link, or just send me a pm with the DNA if you want. I can make your character myself too with your instructions but of course she'll look a bit different.
Do you have a preference to how old your character is? Minimum is 16.

----

Orvar is our oldest friend. He is trustworthy and has always known how to talk to people, we often got into trouble as kids but it was he who managed to talk us out of it. And when we got into fights with other kids he was right there with us, thus he learned how to handle himself if talking was no longer an option. As an adult he takes life easy, and has mostly focused on trying to bed as many women as he can. We have often depended on his advice and that is unlikely to change.
He is lustful, lazy and honest with the second best diplomatic education. He is an attractive seducer and a poet.

As our friend he has a lot of influence on our decisions.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Read through the thread again and has anyone claimed Halla? I would like to help/harm as her.

Halla is indeed unclaimed. You are the proud new owner of a young Finnish witch on the run from :iiam:

What did you mean by falconry?

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
There was one in ck2 but not in ck3. Since you voted for a martial education you can vote for one of the commander traits from

https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Traits#Commander_traits

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
A little change regarding the factions.

There will be one faction at the start, which allows for our ruler to choose his own lifestyle if it's dominant (which it is at start).

After the first update, anyone can create a faction. A faction has 2 associated educations/skills, and can never be changed once a faction has been created. If a reader created faction is dominant, our ruler has to pick a lifestyle associated with either of its skills.

Readers with a character can join a faction. Being a character in a faction might increase your stats/give you lifestyle traits, especially if its a dominant faction.
A faction will always have a leader, who is more likely to increase their stats or gain traits. Faction leaders will be weighted higher when it comes to appointing council members or granting titles. This makes it possible for ambitious characters to rise to positions of power.

That is the general idea of how factions are going to work. I will write a more comprehensive and detailed post about factions after the first update.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 7, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

verbal enema posted:

I wanna be Emund

You have still time to vote on starting location and 3 traits for our ruler, then you can immediately claim Emund. Otherwise you may claim him after the first chapter, but then everyone else can claim him too.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
This is going to be a long post about everything to do with factions. I wanted to get this out of the way now so people can read it and already know how things work when chapter 1 arrives.

-------------------

How to create factions

Anyone can create a faction, you don’t have to have a character in the game. Simply declare a new faction and state which two skills it is associated with. These can never be changed, and there can’t be two factions which have the same two skills. You can give your faction a name, although it’s only for RP purposes and the faction can freely vote for a new name whenever they want to.
A faction will dissolve if it has no more members left. A new faction with the same two skills can’t be created for 20 years.

Dominant, influential and weak factions

The faction with the biggest amount of votes is considered dominant. If it has less than 50% of votes, the next biggest faction is considered influential. If the two factions combined have less than 50% of votes, the next biggest faction is considered influential. This continues until 50% of votes are reached. The remaining factions are considered weak.
For example, if there are 5 factions and the 2 biggest have 30% and 25% of votes respectively, this accounts for 55% of total votes. The 50% point is reached, so all the smaller factions are all considered weak.
If there are 5 factions and one has 50% of votes, it Is the dominant while all the rest are weak.

Faction leaders and improving your stats via factions

A faction will always have a leader. This is automatically the one with the highest influence in the faction. Every character (so an actual character in the game, in our rulers realm, landed or not) in a faction has a base influence of 2. This is then modified by several ways.

First the characters two skills associated with the faction have an impact in the following way (using the obfusckate mod).

F – -1 point
D – 0 point
C - +1 point
B - +2 points
A - +3 points

Holding titles also adds influence. Every count-level title is +1 point and every duchy level title +2 points. Kingdoms are +3, but it'll probably be a while until we have kingdom tier vassals. I'd appreciate feedback on how much influence titles should add.
Being on the council gives +2 points, and any of the court positions (court tutor, master of the horse etc) adds +1 point (except probably the jester).
Being a friend of the ruler is +2 influence, but +4 in the loyalist faction. Also appreciate feedback here.

Finally, everyone belonging to our house has +1 influence, along with everyone belonging the house of our spouse.

The one with the highest influence factoring in everything above is automatically the leader. If there is a tie, everyone tied for first must either declare their intent to be faction leader or let the current leader be. If a challenger (or more) appears, every member in the faction (everyone who voted for the faction last time) gets to vote on who will be the leader. Faction members influence = vote strength.

Why would you want to be the faction leader? Well, factions are a way to increase your stats or gain new traits. The chance is equal to the vote share of the faction and is doubled for the faction leader. This might improve your education level for example, or give you powerful lifestyle finisher perks. Maybe you will become a legendary blademaster eventually if you stay in a martial faction for long enough. Also I will keep score on how many years a character has been/was a faction leader and put them higher on the list when new council seats or titles become available. It would be stupid to ignore an influential person after all.
Readers without a character can become members of factions, but their influence is always 1. You can always claim unclaimed characters though if you want to once the game has started and I actually unpause the game.

Demands and propositions

The dominant and influential factions can put pressure on the ruler by making demands. The faction can make more demands the more vote share it has.
10-19% - one demand
20-29% - two demands
etc.
The dominant faction will have +1 demand. So a dominant faction with 35% of votes would get to make 4 demands, but the maximum amount of demands per faction is capped at 5.
Influential factions have one demand minimum, while weak factions can never make demands.

Demands must have two parts, associated with the skills of its faction. For example a diplo/martial faction can make a demand which is both diplo, both martial or one of both. These could be something like,

Diplo/diplo – Befriend powerful Viking rulers and seek alliances with them
Diplo/martial – Raid rich lands and take/offer captured young women as concubines for yourself/landed vassals
Martial/martial – Increase our military strength via more men-at-arms and finding better knights.
I’m sure you can come up with tons more.

A member can propose a demand within the faction, and all of their influence is then used to support their own proposition. They are not allowed to split their influence among two or more proposals. Members, who are not making their own proposals, can then use their influence in any way they like. They can support or oppose as many propositions as they want, up to the amount of their influence.
If our ruler doesn’t accomplish a demand, he will gain stress equal to the vote share of the faction which made the demand. This is multiplied for every demand unfulfilled. So that dominant faction with 75% of vote share and 5 demands has the potential to make our ruler literally die from stress, whereas an influential faction with 15% vote share and one demand is not as big of a deal.

Loyalist faction

Loyalist faction is different. It’s demands are considered suggestions and don’t cause the ruler stress if left unfulfilled, as the point of the loyalist faction is to support the ruler and ultimately let them choose the best course of action. Suggestions must also have two parts and they can be whatever you want. The ruler will reduce their stress by an amount equal to the loyalist factions vote share if they successfully follow the suggestions.
The loyalist faction does not have a leader, as they support the ruler. The loyalists influence is determined by how skilled they are in their own education (so F, C, D etc) and that of the rulers education. So if our ruler has a martial education, then everyone's martial skill would effect their influence. If a character has the same education as the ruler, their highest other skill is used instead. So if a character has B in both diplo and martial and F everywhere else, they would use their diplo and martial if our ruler has a martial education.
Members of the loyalist faction also have a chance to gain traits or improve their skills, and also become friends with the ruler and other loyalists.

Dominant faction effects and bonuses

Finally, the dominant faction means our ruler has to pick a lifestyle associated with it. This will be six options in total, as every skill has three lifestyles and every faction has two skills. The exception of course is the loyalist faction, which lets our ruler freely choose whatever.

The dominant faction will also give the ruler a bonus (numbers still subject to change).

Loyalist faction ----- -25% stress gain, +20% monthly lifestyle experience
Diplo/Martial ----- +25% diplo range
Diplo/Steward ----- +10 Vassal opinion
Diplo/Intrigue ----- Max personal schemes + 1
Diplo/Learning ----- Big boost to fertility and health
Martial/Steward ----- +0.5 monthly control growth
Martial/Intrigue ----- Prowess and advantage +5
Martial/Learningt ----- May purchase a powerful commander or a knight for 1k piety, 5y cooldown
Steward/Intrigue ----- Domain limit + 2
Steward/Learning ----- +0.2 monthly development in realm capitol, +20% development growth
Intrigue/Learning ----- Convert one county in realm to rulers faith for 1k piety, 5y cooldown

I am making a quick mod to add these as traits right now (except the piety purchase ones which are just easy to console in game). I think all of these are pretty good. Some are very situational, while some are always useful. Again, I appreciate any feedback. If you think something is way too strong or weak let me know.

----------------------

The point of factions is to give the readers a possibility to not only actively direct the ruler but also to encourage them to have their own character in the game by rewarding those who join factions they are suited for. You can fight for power if you want to, or just support the ruler and let them decide, whatever you choose.

Well, that was a long rear end post, if you have any questions or feedback let me know. I’m still doing the mod for the bonus traits as well as making a couple more courtiers before I finally start chapter 1, hopefully still today.

If you still want a custom character, you have some time left, instructions are in the OP.

Albino Squirrel posted:

Can I lay claim to our doctor? I can RP that pretty well. Time to invent germ theory!

Unfortunately Abdullah is already claimed. But if you think you can RP a doctor, why not make your own? There is a pretty appropriate DNA in reddit if you are interested.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CKTinder/comments/pgruou/hugh_laurie_gregory_house/

Or you can come up with your own DNA of course (or let me make one). You can freely choose 3 personality traits and I'll add in renowned physician and genius on top of it.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jan 16, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Votes are now

A - 7
B - 1
C - 1
D - 3

Iceland held on to it's early lead so we'll be starting there. As for our starting ruler:

Wrathful - 5 votes
Diligent - 3 votes
Blademaster - 2 votes
Stubborn, impatient, craven, lazy, dwarf, paranoid, compassionate, brave, gregarious, just and honest - 1 vote

Wrathful and diligent aren't too expensive, then I'll see what we can afford that gets us first tier of blademaster and as good of an education as possible. At the end if there's lots of traits that we can afford for the 3rd personality trait I'll just use an rng.

Martial education got the most votes so we'll start with that, and reaver was the most popular commander trait so we'll get that as well.

Making the mod for the faction bonuses took some time but I managed to get it working as intended so yay. I'll make the character tomorrow and then we'll have one final vote for our wife and then we can start.

YOU CAN STILL SUBMIT YOUR OWN CHARACTERS UNTIL WE HAVE VOTED FOR OUR WIFE

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

Jossar posted:

Sure, I'll throw a character in:

Nils Askeladden

Appearance: Just gonna grab this one off CKTinder, gets the general aesthetic vibe down at least.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CKTinder/comments/zozz7g/my_attempt_at_emperor_sigismund_used_bit_of_a/
https://pastebin.com/hNyx3WDq

Traits: Brave, Ambitious, Greedy

Education: Stewardship

Sexuality: Bisexual

Culture: Norse

Faith: Asatru

I'm keeping things as basic as possible mechanically for the actual submission, but the idea is: wealthy Icelandic freeholder who built his fortune settling the place, but saw which way the wind was blowing when the Count showed up/got himself established and figured that he'd go big or go home by pledging himself as the count's sworn man. Has something of a tendency for the grasp of his eyes to outweigh that of his hands, but it's always ended well so far, right?

megane posted:

Have a character, sure.

Thyra af Svarti

DNA

Education: Martial
Personality: Zealous, Shy, Stubborn
Traits: Shieldmaiden, Winter Soldier

Other points in martial or whatever you like. Siblings: sure.

Coat of Arms is a ship on a black background.

Thyra is a distant cousin of the family who was appointed shieldmaiden by our father after she saved several people from a fire. She says little and prefers to be elsewhere when the drinks and song are flowing, which has made her somewhat unpopular. Her father made a name for himself raiding the Danes, and she secretly hopes to win similar glories - and marriage to a fine husband - in our service.

How old are your characters? You can give the exact age or a range whichever you prefer.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Chapter 0: Our ruler and his new wife

Meet Thoke. A wrathful, diligent and gregarious 23 year old chieftain with the best martial education. He is an aspiring blademaster and a reaver.
As you can see from his stats Thoke is a simple man. He knows a thing or two about how to talk to people and how to manage the realm, having watched his father rule before him. He doesn't care about learning or intrigue. That is for milk drinking pussies. At least he knows how to read runes.
But he is good at leading armies, raiding foreign lands and killing people. And as a Viking, that's pretty good.

He has always had an eye on a certain girl in the village, who is finally of age to marry.

Who is it? (I forgot to change their surnames damnit, at least one of them will change when we actually begin)

Is it Ingrid?
She is a generous, compassionate and honest woman, with the best diplomacy education. She is a gardener, herbalist, novice physician and a poet. She is also quite pretty and has been popular with boys of her age throughout her life.

Is it Angrboda?
She is a calm, callous and vengeful woman, with the best intrigue education. She is an herbalist, a wise woman, a witch and life has molded her into a shrewd person. She is also smarter than most, picking new things up quickly.

Is it Vigdis?
She is a brave, zealous and diligent woman, with the best martial education. She is an aspiring blademaster, a shieldmaiden and a berserker who burns with religious fury against those who do not believe in the Allfather. She has always had a strong physique ever since she was a little kid, and has only become stronger as an adult.

--------------------

Yeah they're OP, but we won't be playing as them, they'll simply be there to help us. I wanted to have three choices for the three basic congenital traits and have them all be pretty different from each other. There's possibilities to compensate for our own shortcomings in certain skills, or just lean hard into our own strenghts
In case you didn't know, our wife can boost all of our stats by a fraction of her own, or one of our stats by a larger fraction.

So, get to voting! Same as with starting location, the first to reach 10 votes is considered the winner. I might call it early if one of them has like 7 and the other have 1 or if there aren't enough votes.

If you want to claim one of them, do it as you vote. If there are multiple claimants I will do a random draw on who gets who. You can claim a different one than what you vote for.

If you want to claim one of the earlier courtiers like Emund, Aslak/Asleikr or Orvar, you have to vote first.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 9, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Forgot to mention but I will use console commands to make our wife our friend due to RP reasons so we would be safe from any hypothetical scenarios where our high intrigue witch wife wants to murder us because we are not as calm as she is.

Also our character will not be taking any of the other two as concubines. He will be taking some eventually, of course. Just not any of these.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

TorakFade posted:

Are we even playing Crusader Kings at this point? :v:

That said, I stick with my choice - this is a roleplaying game to me and while considering the latest info Angreboda would absolutely be the optimal choice (well depending on how witchcraft goes I guess), I still want a better wife for our dude than a callous manipulative witch.

We are playing heavily modded Crusader Kings with focus on reader interaction, crazy shenanigans and RP. Consoling our first wife to be our friend will make sense in Chapter 1 for RP purposes, and also to avoid spending all this time to have Angrboda murder us before we have a child.

Later on I won't be doing this sort of safety measures. If our future wives end up killing us, so be it. In fact it would be fun to have someone claim our wife/husband in the future and try to kill us so our child becomes top dog. But for now, this is a countermeasure to getting an early game over.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

Jossar posted:

Late 30s, early 40s.

Also, cast my vote for Angrboda, there would probably be too much friction between Thoke and Ingrid, but there needs to be at least one person among the comital couple who can resolve disputes with something other than a punch to the face.

For some reason your hair was causing a problem in the DNA. Does this look fine to you?

You can also adjust your stats and age if you want to still. For reference, you could be 5 years younger if you wanted to at the cost of 2 diplomacy.

megane posted:

Have a character, sure.

Thyra af Svarti

DNA

Education: Martial
Personality: Zealous, Shy, Stubborn
Traits: Shieldmaiden, Winter Soldier

Other points in martial or whatever you like. Siblings: sure.

Coat of Arms is a ship on a black background.

Thyra is a distant cousin of the family who was appointed shieldmaiden by our father after she saved several people from a fire. She says little and prefers to be elsewhere when the drinks and song are flowing, which has made her somewhat unpopular. Her father made a name for himself raiding the Danes, and she secretly hopes to win similar glories - and marriage to a fine husband - in our service.

Again, none of the hairs seem to work for me. I could paste the rest though.

Feel free to ask for changes. If you give me a screenshot of the hair you want I can change it.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 9, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Who Wants To Marry a Viking?

Camera pans to a blonde woman in a red dress, wearing makeup.

S: Hello everyone and welcome to the Viking worlds best dating show, my name is Svanhild and I'm your host. Today we have come to Austrland to ask our three lovely ladies, Ingrid, Angrboda and Vigdis how they feel about their chances at becoming the wife of chieftain Thoke. First up, is Ingrid. Let's go ask her what she thinks.

The camera cuts to the village's market where Ingrid is surrounded by her simps, all vying for her attention. Security escorts her outside the village so they can interview her in peace.

S: Ingrid, we've learned that the chieftain is a wrathful man, and as a contestant, you are known for being generous and compassionate. Do you think you would be able to get along well with him if you were to become his wife?

I: I believe that despite the chieftain's wrathful nature, we would be able to find common ground and get along well. From what I have seen, the chieftain is also sociable and loves to be around others. I believe my compassion and generosity would be able to balance out his wrathful tendencies, and that we would make a good team.

S: It's been a fierce competition, and the village has spoken. Our polls so far show that 36% of the villagers believe that you should be the chieftain's wife. What do you think about your chances of marrying the chieftain?

Ingrid flashes a warm smile.

I: I am honored and humbled to have the support of so many of my fellow villagers. I've given it my all during this game show and I'm glad that my efforts have been recognized. I know that the decision is ultimately up to Thoke, but to know that so many people believe in me means a lot to me.

S: It's clear that you've made a strong impression on the audience with your peaceful and diplomatic approach. What would you say are the best courses of action for our tribe going forward?

I: I believe that unity and peace are key to the prosperity of our people and I will always strive for that.

Svanhild glances quickly at the camera, then looks back at Ingrid.

S: But hypothetically if a conflict did occur. How would you help both the tribe and it's chieftain?

Ingrid thinks for a moment.

I: I understand that war is a very real possibility, and as the chieftain's wife, I would do everything in my power to support both the tribe and chieftain Thoke in the event of a conflict. My first action would be to help him in organizing and supplying our warriors, and providing support in logistics. Secondly, I would also be willing to act as a mediator between the tribes to maintain a peaceful solution, if possible. Thirdly, and most importantly, I would be there for my husband, Thoke and provide emotional support. War is not only physically tiring, but also mentally and emotionally taxing on the leader. I would make sure that he is well taken care of, so that he can lead our tribe to victory.

S: A fantastic answer! Thank you for your time, I for one am a fan!

Ingrid smiles at the camera and curtsies.

S: It's time for a commercial break. After we come back, we'll have a chat with our next contestant!

Opening shot of a viking warrior using a heavy, broad-headed axe to chop through the door of a Saxon village in England.
"Introducing the newest addition to your Viking arsenal: The Stormbringer Axe."
Cut to a close-up of the axe, turning slowly to show its intricate design, adorned with Norse symbols and a curved shape that gives it a fierce look.
"Crafted by our master blacksmiths, this axe is designed for both utility and battle. Its broad, heavy head is perfect for breaking down doors and making quick work of enemy defenses."
Cut to a group of vikings training with the axes in a field, showing the power of the axe with each swing and its weight allows the vikings to deliver crushing blows.
"Tested by our own Viking warriors, the Stormbringer Axe is built to withstand the rigors of combat and the harsh conditions of a raid."
Cut to a shot of a Viking charging into battle with the axe in hand, its curved shape and the weight of the axe make it perfect for a fast and deadly attack.
"Don't be caught without the right weapon. Upgrade your arsenal with the Stormbringer Axe today."
Closing shot of a Viking warrior brandishing an axe during raid, with the words "Stormbringer Axe - Available Now!" displayed on the screen

The screen cuts back to Svanhild, in the middle of the forest.

S: Angrboda, it's great to see you out here in the forest. Can you tell us a little about what you and your friend Halla are doing?

Angrboda turns to Svanhild with a calm and calculating look in her eyes.

A: We are gathering herbs for our potions and spells. The forest is full of powerful plants and herbs that can be used for healing, protection, and even divination.

S: Does this mean you are witches?

A: How very observant of you. You could say that, yes.

H: Tyhmä nainen. Paksukainen syö varmaan kolmen ihmisen verran.

Angrboda and Halla both smile.

S: I'm sorry but most of our viewers probably don't speak Finnish, would you like to repeat that in Norse?

A: She was complementing you for your healthy and fertile body, you have good childbearing hips.

S: Oh thank you! It is true, I'm quite a catch. But Angrboda, I wanted to ask you if you think you would get along with the chieftain. As we both know, he is a wrathful man, and as a contestant, you are known for being calm and composed. Do you think you would be able to get along well with him if you were to become his wife?

Angrboda has a calm and collected expression on her face.

A: I believe that my calm demeanor would be able to counteract the chieftain's wrathful nature. I understand that anger and aggression are natural responses in certain situations, but as his partner and potentially the leader of the tribe, it's important to have a steady hand and make well-thought out decisions. I am confident that I would be able to provide a level-headed perspective that would balance out the chieftain's more impulsive tendencies.

S: How do you feel about possibly becoming the wife of the chieftain? According to our polls, 54% of the tribe at the moment wants you to marry chieftain Thoke. How does it feel to have such strong support from the community?

A: I am honored to have the support of so many people in the village. I understand that my approach to problem-solving and my leadership skills may be seen as controversial, but I believe that my intellect, strategic thinking and decisiveness will be beneficial for the tribe in the long run. I am glad that many people recognize that.

Svanhild nods.

S: As a leader and the potential wife of the chieftain, it's important to have a clear vision for the future of the tribe. Can you tell us, what direction would you take the tribe in, if you were to become the chieftain's wife?

Angrboda looks thoughtful for a moment before responding.

A: If I were to become the chieftain's wife, my primary focus would be on expanding and strengthening our tribe. I would focus on increasing our resources and wealth through trade, raids and alliances with other tribes. I would also focus on fortifying our defenses and training our warriors to be the best they can be, to protect our tribe from outside invaders.

S: That sounds like a strong plan. And what would you do for the tribe and chieftain Thoke in case a war started between us and another tribe. After all, there are Christians on this island of ours.

Angrboda's expression turns serious.

A: In times of war, my role would be to support the chieftain and the tribe in any way I can. I would use my knowledge of potions and charms to make sure our warriors are healthy and protected. I would also use my skills in divination and prophecy to gain insight into the enemy's movements and anticipate their attacks. If it becomes necessary to use my powers to eliminate a threat to our tribe, I will not hesitate to do so.

S: Thank you for your answer, as well as your time. Now it's time for another commercial break, after which we will interview our final contestant!

Opening shot of a longship sailing on the open sea, with fierce-looking vikings on board.
"Are you in need of skilled and experienced raiders for your next expedition? Look no further than Viking Headhunters!"
Cut to a group of vikings training in a field, with a voiceover of the narrator describing their skills and experience
"Our team of experts handpicks the most capable and fierce warriors from the most reputable clans. From huskarls to bowmen, we have the perfect raider for your needs."
Cut to a shot of a viking settlement with a voiceover of the narrator describing the company's recruitment process.
"Our recruitment process is thorough and rigorous, ensuring that only the most elite warriors make the cut. We pride ourselves on finding the best raiders available, so you can rest easy knowing that your next expedition will be a success."
Cut to a shot of a Viking raiding party raiding a village with a voiceover of the narrator describing the company's guarantee of success.
"At Viking Headhunters, we guarantee success. With our skilled raiders by your side, you can be sure that your next expedition will be a profitable one."
Closing shot of three viking warriors, armed and ready for battle, standing in front of a longboat with the words "Viking Headhunters - Elite Warriors for Hire" displayed on the screen.

The screen cuts back to Svanhild who is standing in the tribe's armory.

S: I'm standing here next to our final contestant who was just sharpening her axe.

Vigdis is holding her brand new Strombringer Axe, making sure the logo is visible to the camera.

S: As you know, the chieftain is a wrathful man, and as a contestant, you are known for being diligent and hardworking. Do you think you would be able to get along well with him if you were to become his wife?

Vigdis responds confidently.

V: I believe our shared diligent nature would help us appreciate each other and our strengths. I understand that the chieftain's wrathful nature may be a challenge, but I am confident in my ability to direct it towards the unbelievers and enemies of our tribe. I believe that by channeling his passion and drive towards the protection and expansion of our tribe and belief, we can work together effectively and bring glory and honor to our people.

S: The competition has been fierce and the audience has spoken. Our polls show that only 9% of the viewers want you to marry the chieftain. How does that make you feel?

V: I understand that my approach may not be for everyone, but I am proud of who I am and what I have to offer. I am a distinguished warrior, I work hard outside combat and most importantly I am loyal to Odin. I will continue to be true to my beliefs and if the people and the chieftain find that insufficient then that is the will of the gods.

S: I'm sure none in the village question neither your capabilities as a warrior or your devotion to the gods. As the final contestant and potentially the chieftain's wife, it's important to have a clear vision for the future of the tribe. Can you tell us, what direction would you take the village in, if you were to become the chieftain's wife?

V: If I were to become the chieftain's wife, my primary focus would be on strengthening our tribe through hard work and holding on to our traditions and beliefs. I would also focus on expanding our territory through raids and alliances with neighboring tribes. I would encourage our people to continue to be fierce warriors, and to always remember the importance of honor and glory in battle, so that we can earn the favor of the gods.

S: What would you do in times of war? How would you help our tribe and the chieftain?

Vigdis answers immediately without hesitation.

V: I would fight alongside our warriors on the front lines, leading by example and showing them the importance of honor and glory in battle. I would personally kill every single enemy if it came to that. I would also make sure our tribe continues to work hard even in times of war. Finally, I would lead our people in prayers and sacrifices to the gods, to earn their favor and ensure our victory.

S: What a fierce woman! Thank you for your time, I hope everything goes well for you.

Camera cuts to Svanhild standing outside the village gates.

S: And there you have it! The final words from our three contestants. It is still time to vote for your favorite! Join us next time on Who Wants To Marry a Viking to find out who chieftain Thoke chooses!

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 10, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
The votes are currently:

Ingrid - 4
Angrboda - 6
Vigdis - 1

It's pretty close so I'll leave the vote up for another 24 hours. That should be enough time. I'll check again tomorrow and start the game. First chapter should be up tomorrow.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 12, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

Luca_024 posted:

The life of a Vigdis appreciator is a lonely one :eng99:

You can always create/claim a courtier and try to marry her yourself :love:

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
So apparently the first episode of Vinland Saga season 2 just came out.

Yeah I know she doesn't have an eyepatch but CK3 doesn't let you scar someone's eye like in the manga.

Y'all should watch Vinland Saga, then read the manga.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

ZiegeDame posted:

If I'm not too late to submit a character:

Erika

Appearance: not familiar with this but reddit suggests this is a DNA link: https://pastebin.com/DxkwVYZ9

Traits: Vengeful, Paranoid, Arbitrary, Witch

Education: Intrigue

Sexuality: Bisexual

Culture: Han (unless you're using a mod that allows for Japanese, but I'm sure our Vikings wouldn't know the difference)

Taken far from her homeland by raiders, Erika was forced to survive and thrive by her wits alone, and she has plenty of those. She will happily make herself useful to her liege by rooting out and punishing all his enemies. Even if her liege doesn't have any enemies, that won't stop her from finding enemies to expose and punish in order to prove her loyalty and usefulness.

PS. Voting Witch-Wife, let's start a coven.

Your character is the last to get in, congrats!

Angrboda wins! I'm starting up the game now, it'll take a while to set up all the custom characters but I should get the first update up today.

Also in the update about factions I completely forgot to mention that being a friend of the ruler is +2 points, but +4 if you are in the loyalist faction.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Chapter 1: A time of grief and love, 1st of January 867 - 4th of October 867.

The raiding ships came back to Austrland. And they brought back bad news.

The old chieftain was dead, slain in southern lands along with many other men of the tribe. He had been a good ruler, and was supported by nearly everyone.

Thoke was now the chieftain. As the rest of his family grieved, he felt anger. His father had been taken from him too soon.

One of the men slain had been an influential friend of his father and his family had always been close to Thoke's. He went personally to show his respect to the family of the man who had been killed in his fathers raid.

He consoled his eldest daughter, who he had always considered a friend. The two of them were united in their grief, and soon found themselves in love.

The two families were united in marriage. The grief turned to joy and love.

Thoke appointed capable people in his council.

His marshal, Vigdis, quickly started improving his warriors.

Thoke started training more men. They had lost a lot during the raid and would need to be ready to defend themselves.

Thoke felt like the village could support additional buildings, but he needed money to fund those, as well as the people's respect. It would have to wait, they weren't ready to launch new raiding parties anytime soon.

The new chieftain hoped people would support him, as he surely needed all the help he could get. He hadn't thought he would become the chieftain just yet...

------------------

CREATING FACTIONS IS NOW ENABLED

Next update will be longer, I will show a list of all unclaimed adults in our court. This was a shorter one to get the story started and let you guys start factions asap before anything major happens.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 24, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
By the way, there is plenty of time to create and join factions. The next couple of chapters will be introducing and explaining some game mechanics and providing a detailed list of all courtiers.

The ruler will listen to the factions demands every five years, as that is the cooldown to change lifestyles. So for the first five in game years Thoke is going to do how he sees best.

I will also be giving some information about laws next update. Laws are similar to demands, but their effects are permanent until abolished. Laws are done similarly as demands, with a proposition inside a faction.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
I'm going to go over some final things regarding faction influence, demands and laws. I don't want to change things too much when the game has already started, but I think with these final additions I am happy with the overall metagame mechanics.

First, faction influence. I think it makes sense that those characters that are related to either our ruler or our wife/husband, are more influential.

So everyone of our house, af Vestrsaer automatically gets +1 influence, along with our parents who are not of our house.
As kids cannot vote, that would currently be our mother and our oldest sister.
If at any point cadet branches happen, they lose the +1 influence.

We would also want the support of our spouse's family, so everyone of the Svartrfrigga house automatically gets +1 influence, along with our spouses parent who is not of their house.
At the moment that would be our wife, our mother-in-law, and our brother-in-law.

While the bonus that our house members get is always applied, our spouse's house is likely to change now and then.

Second, demands. I want to go over again how demands work.

Finnish Flasher posted:

Demands must have two parts, associated with the skills of its faction. For example a diplo/martial faction can make a demand which is both diplo, both martial or one of both. These could be something like,

Diplo/diplo – Befriend powerful Viking rulers and seek alliances with them
Diplo/martial – Raid rich lands and take/offer captured young women as concubines for yourself/landed vassals
Martial/martial – Increase our military strength via more men-at-arms and finding better knights.

Demands must always have two parts. If you propose a demand inside your faction, and it consists of only one part, it is invalid for votes until it is paired with another part. You can accept someone else's suggestion for the other part, or come up with your own.

This is an example of an invalid demand: Raid Iberia
This is another example of an invalid demand: Get one concubine

This is an example of a valid demand: Raid iberia. If you capture women, take one as concubine.

Lastly, laws. Readers can come up with laws inside the faction, and if they end up getting enough votes internally, the faction will demand that the law be implemented.
If instead of a regular demand, the faction demands a law, it will be voted on by EVERYONE. It needs more votes for than against for it to be implemented. The ruler will also get to vote. if our ruler votes for the law and it doesn't pass or vice versa, they get stress.
So why demand a law instead of a regular demand? Let me quote the famous philosopher Thanos.

Want to make christianity illegal in our realm? Go for it.
Make it illegal for our ruler to control more than 33% of the land? Go for it.
Can't raid or start wars against other asatru? Go for it.

Laws can be simple. They can also be very convoluted. Compared to regular demands, it is risky to demand the implementation of a law, as everyone (including those in other factions) get to vote on it. But if it gets passed it is there until abolished.
Abolishing works the same way, a faction must demand a law be abolished or changed, and then the demand needs >50% of votes from everyone.

The following laws were implemented by our ruler's father before his death.
The status of women. Free women may choose their husbands, and can not be forced into marriage or to serve as concubines against their will. Parents can arrange marriages for their children, but if the children turn 20, their parents no longer get a say.
The duty of the strong. Those with high prowess must serve the village by fighting in battles or joining raids. Refusal to do so is not punishable by imprisonment, but is considered extremely dishonorable. Women with children less than 3 years old may refuse to serve, as well as pregnant women. Men can not refuse.

It's getting late in Finland so this is it for now. Tomorrow I will try to provide a list of all courtiers as well as explain some normal-rear end CK3 mechanics like what is prestige, what are casus belli and what are men-at-arms for those who have not played the game before.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Personal and hostile schemes

Those playing a character now have a variety of options when it comes to interacting between other characters in the game, both unclaimed and those controlled by another reader.

You can write what sort of schemes your character is trying to accomplish in this thread, or PM me. For example you can say you are trying to befriend character X. I will then use an RNG to see if you are succesful. There is always a base chance of success, which I am never going to reveal to you. Some personality traits may aid or hinder your chances of success, again I'm never going to reveal these modifiers to you. Most of them are obvious, for example two brave people like each other because they are brave, so there is a positive modifier. If you use common sense you should have a decent idea if you are going to get positive or negative modifiers.

You can also try to learn from another character. For example if you are a tier 1 blademaster, you can approach a tier 2 blademaster in order to become a tier 2 blademaster. You can also scheme to teach your own skill to another character.
Characters can only learn from those who have a higher tier skill than them. A character without a skill is considered trait 0, and can learn from anyone who has a higher tier skill. Personality traits or lifestyle finisher traits can't be taught, they must be received in another way. Here's a list of all learnable traits/skills.

Tier 1 and 2 of blademaster, hunter, mystic, reveler and physician. Tier 3 must be earned from somewhere else.
All commander traits.
Herbalist, gardener, witch, berserker, poet, shieldmaiden.

If you are single, you can try to court someone and eventually marry them. If you are playing a non-lowborn character and you try to court a lowborn character that is not played by anyone else, the success is greatly boosted, and any additional positive modifiers can guarantee success. I want to make it easy for people to find a spouse if they want one, and while there technically aren't any "nobles" in the true sense of the word in our realm, being "noble" currently means you or your family is distinguished or influential enough that people would be happy to marry you.
Trying to court someone who is non-lowborn follows the same rule as trying to befriend someone. I will use an RNG and see what modifiers to success you have, positive or negative.

You can also try to seduce someone, again similar rules apply. You get a bonus for trying to seduce lowborn ai characters. Bigger if they are single. People's sexualities come into play here of course.

Finally you can try to become soulmates with someone. Being a friend, married or lover increases the chances. Base success chance is practically zero if you are none of those things. A person can have many friends or lovers, but only ever one soulmate.

The above are all examples of personal schemes your characters can do, their base success chance as well as the rate at which the scheme progresses are largely tied to your diplomacy skill.

If your personal scheme is targeting another player character, they can reject which instantly fails your scheme. They can also accept which doesn't automatically mean success (as then everyone would just be constantly improving each others stats and becoming friends) but adds a positive modifier to success chance and shortens the scheme duration. The exception is courting, the scheme is immediately successful if accepted and the two characters marry.

There are of course hostile schemes. You can scheme to murder someone, frame them for being a criminal, become someone's rival, kidnap them, etc etc etc. Their base success chance as well as the rate at which the scheme progresses is largely tied to your intrigue skill. Some hostile schemes like murder have a chance of being discovered after the deed is done, again this is tied to your intrigue skill and modified by many things.

Feel free to come up with all kinds of schemes, you can RP things that are not in the game. Just mention which type your scheme is. Failing a scheme always has a chance of causing stress. An ambitious character would be more vulnerable to this, while a humble or a content person less so.

Everyone has 1 personal scheme available at all times, and 1 hostile scheme. It is possible to obtain more via lifestyle finisher traits for example.
You can choose to help someone with their scheme, be it personal or hostile. The other person gets a bonus to their success chance. This prevents you from doing a scheme of your own of that type.

If you write in this thread that you are starting a scheme targeting someone, that is considered public knowledge to everyone. If you PM me that you are starting a scheme, it is not considered public knowledge. If you want to plan a murder without getting away with it, you better plan it somewhere where people can't hear you. Of course not all hostile schemes would necessarily be considered crimes depending on the rules of our realm.

An example of a murder scheme. Player A wants to murder character X. A sends a PM to player B, asking them for help. Player B accepts. Player A sends a PM to me telling the scheme has started, and Player B sends a PM to me telling they are helping in A's scheme. No one else knows about this scheme (my ruler doesn't know as he is not aware of what PM's are sent to me).
Of course B also has the option of publicly revealing A's murder scheme to everyone by quoting his PM here. And nothing is stopping someone from falsifying a quote in order to blame someone for scheming a murder... (screenshots are not allowed as that would be hard evidence, offenders will be banned from participating and their character becomes unclaimed)

Also this is not a scheme, but a character can always choose to convert to another faith if it is present in our realm, neighboring our realm, or if there's a courtier or a landed person following that faith in our realm.

That's the gist of it, if you have questions feel free to ask in this thread.

edit. forgot the mention this but just to be clear, targeting the ruler with both personal or hostile schemes is of course possible. if you announce it in the thread it is considered public knowledge, pm me if you want to keep it a secret

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 15, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
The following are the courtiers that someone has already claimed, feel free to start planning your own schemes or interactions with other readers.

Rolando, who is played by Torakfade.

Thyra, who is played by megane.

Abdullah, who is played by Luca_024.

Erika, who is played by ZiegeDame.

Halla, who is played by Demon Of The Fall.

Sinech, who is played by ChaosStar0.

Nils, who is played by Jossar.

edit.

Angrboda, who is played by PetraCore.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 16, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Here's all the non-lowborn courtiers in our court. Anyone can claim one of these.

Thyra's sister.

Thyra's mother.

Thyra's brother.

Vigdis' mother.

Vigdis.

Ingrid's mother.

Ingrid.

Ingrid's sister.

Angrboda's mother, our spymaster.

Angrboda's brother, our chancellor.

Asleikr.

Helge.

Emund.

Hild.

Freja.

Inga, our sister.

Jorunn, our mother.

Svanhild.

Tjudmund.

Orvar, our friend.

Sigrbjörn, our godi. (he is lowborn, but as our godi he has +2 influence in factions.

There are plenty of lowborns but most of them are trash (except for our godi, luckily). You may claim any of the lowborns if you want to, but you will get penalties to your schemes against non-lowborns.
If you have a character and want to get married, you can tell me to just find a young lowborn who isn't total poo poo and I'll see what we have available.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 16, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Chapter 2: The young and the bold, 5th of October 867 - 1st of January 868.

Thoke was listening to his council tell him of their situation and neighboring rulers.

Iceland and the small southern islands were ruled by various Norse chieftains, some of which had converted to Christianity. If the Christians formed alliances with each other it would present an existential threat to the tribe.

To the south, King Causantin II ruled Alba. He was powerful, and any raids against him would be risky as he was sure to be able to levy numerous troops to defend his lands.

Neighboring King Causantin II was Jarl Ivar the Boneless. He was young, but already famous. Thoke's council informed him that Ivar was currently waging war against the Anglo-Saxons with his brothers, who were powerful Jarls in their own right.

Irland, as the Vikings called it, was currently weak and divided. No Christian chieftain had established dominance and the area was frequently raided by Vikings.

His council knew that the situation in Norway was similar, although it was too far for them to send messengers or envoys, so they had no way of knowing what kind of men ruled those lands.

The chieftain had some money in the bank, and the people generally respected him, but he knew he would need more.

In this picture you can see our gold, prestige, piety, renown, levies and domain. You probably have a good idea of what gold is used for, but we as a tribe actually don't require too much gold. Prestige however is much more important. We need that to build our buildings and train more men-at-arms. Piety is not as important at the moment, it is needed to reform our faith which we are definitely not going to do anytime soon. It can also be used to convert to another faith, which is something we might think about in the future. At the moment though, declaring wars against fellow Asatru rulers costs piety, so it is definitely something we want to have. Finally renown is a thing that makes our dynasty better if we get a lot of it, we are currently very far from unlocking any bonuses. We have almost 700 troops available, which includes both our levies and our men-at-arms. Finally we have our domain. We are ruling 1 county, and can rule 4 before we start getting penalties. Again, not exactly anything to worry about just now.

Our marshal informs us that the new men have been trained and we are currently able to defend ourselves better, or launch raids if we want to.

Total soldiers is self-explanatory. We have 380 levies, which are generally really weak but serve as fodder and are useful for sieging. Good knights and men-at-arms slaughter levies by the hundreds, thousands even. We are able to wield six knights and I'll show them soon.

Bondi are alright. They are better than just levies, but they aren't going to beat better men-at-arms. They are however cheap, can be used to counter certain men-at-arms and can earn their cost back quickly by raiding. They have 15 attack, 20 defend and 12 pursuit. Pursuit means that if the battle is won, they will kill additional enemies. Bondi also get nerfed in hills and mountains, which sucks because Iceland is a lot of hills and mountains. Vigmen are better at fighting and have 22 screen, meaning if the battle is lost they will take reduced losses. Both bondi and vigmen get buffed in winter, as do our two other special men-at-arms that I'll show later.

Our knights, or champions, are absolutely insane. We also have 204% knight effectiveness which makes them even better. They will absolutely carry our battles until they die. This kinda makes our early game a bit unrealistically easy but we still have to be careful to not start wars against someone who has twice our army size, and because of the obfusckate mod I'm using we don't know the army size of anyone at the moment. So attacking the King of France is still an absolute suicide even if we have 30 prowess champions.

Here's what our culture and innovations look like at the moment. There is absolutely nothing we can do about any of this right now, so I'll go over our culture in more detail in a very short update that is only about culture.

The holy sites of our faith are shown here. Three of them are controlled by Asatru rulers and provide bonuses.

Here's some more details about our religion. Basically we sacrifice people to reduce unrest in our realm and can choose to worship one particular deity from the pantheon. We are also warmongers, no points if you guess what sort of things it gives us.
There's also a picture of our marriage and crime doctrines. It's okay to be gay or a witch, but don't cheat on your spouse. Deviancy is kinda weird but not a crime.

Here's our minor and major decisions. Minor are repeatable but most have a cooldown. Some major decisions are repeatable, but some are one time deals. Some of these are added by mods, and I'll go over them too in a short update, kinda like culture.

As his council spent the past couple months making sure his rule was established and debating which areas to raid as they needed both loot and the respect of the tribe, Thoke was focused on his wife.

The next day, a young messenger runs to Thoke's house, exhausted.

"Chieftain! Marshal Vigdis sent me!"

"What is it, boy?" The chieftain asks.

"It's raiders, they are approaching us from the sea!"

Thoke got on his horse and rode to meet his marhal, who had already gathered the men.

"They are our western neighbors men. The man is a fool if he thinks he can raid us, we spotted them well in advance" Vigdis says confidently.

It is indeed our neighbor, who would get absolutely annihilated from invading a mountain province with an embarkation penalty. I think we would beat an army size of 3k with those modifiers.

But the raiding party doesn't land in Austrland. Instead they land in Nordrland.

"The fools will get slaughtered by the drat Christians." Vigdis says. Thoke can tell she isn't happy to know that fellow believers of Odin are going to die. But they have no reason the help them.

Vigdis smiles. "At least we know the army strength of the Christians now."

Later that day, their scouts report that the Christians are indeed beating the raiders badly. Vigdis is noticeably angry. Thoke however sees an opportunity...

It is time for war.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 24, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

ZiegeDame posted:

Erika's first goal: Befriend Angrboda. Us witches have to stick together, after all.

Luca_024 posted:

War means injured men, which means work for a physician. Abdullah will continue his scheme to learn Angrboda's Herbalist trait.

PetraCore posted:

I'd like to toss my hat in to play Angrboda.

EDIT: And she'd like to befriend Abdullah if he's trying to learn from her. Could be a useful ally!

As there are already a couple personal schemes targeting player characters, I want to point out that rejecting or accepting is free. Unlike helping which uses up 1 scheme. Helping is when A decides to help B befriend C and uses up their own personal scheme. But if C accepts B's attempts at friendship, C is still able to do their own schemes.

Accepting does not make their scheme a guaranteed success, but gives a boost to success chance and shortens scheme duration. It represents your character being aware that someone wants to be your friend or wants to learn from you, and you wanting to help/also be friends.
But just as in real life, sometimes two people just don't have enough in common for them to consider each other friends, even if they initially wanted to. Or even if you decide to help them learn something, it just might end up not working out anyway. So it is not guaranteed success, but accepting does make it more likely.

Rejecting forces the other player's scheme to end in failure instantly though.

edit. what do you guys think of the picture's sizes so far? do you want bigger pictures or is it fine as is?

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jan 16, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Rolando might want to keep his hostile schemes private by sending me a pm. :)

There technically aren't any laws to prevent someone from being a snake oil salesman yet, but it's easier for the Italian Stallion to scam someone out of money when he doesn't announce it in the village market. :italy:

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 16, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Because I enjoy reading RP, those that post descriptions of how their character is coming up with ways to succeed in their schemes will get a boost. The minimum modifier is +5%, but this can be higher if the RP is very good.

Do not describe that you are successful, only the ways in which your character is preparing. You can come up with ways by looking at your own traits and that of your targets, while keeping in mind events that have happened in the game so far.

Here's an example of good RP that would earn a boost. "My compassionate and gregarious character with high diplomacy decides to try and console a mother who just lost their child."

Here's an example of bad RP that would not get a boost. "My character says something smart and the target liked it."

Entertaining and realistic RP is more likely to get a higher positive modifier. If you take into account character's personal histories and stories, even better!

TorakFade posted:

Well, that makes sense. I was more thinking of targeting someone unnamed "behind the scenes" (afaik there's no way for non-rulers to get money except by random events? The only money making scheme I can think of is using hooks and the stewardship perk but that's not what I meant) but eh now the cat is out of the bag :shobon:

Ah this makes sense, sorry. Your character is currently trying to con/scam randoms out of some coin but don't worry this information is considered unknown by everyone as he is not targeting anyone specific. If you gently caress up really bad, this might become public knowledge though, but you have decent intrigue so we'll see.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 16, 2023

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Chapter 3: Conquered, fertilized and killed, 2nd of January 868 - 6th of November 868.

Thoke sent messengers to fetch his councilors and his wife. All but the spymaster arrived. Apparently some cattle had died and people were suspecting some sort of illness or curse. She had stayed in the village to inspect the corpses.

The rest of his councilors gathered to listen to him.

T: We have a golden opportunity before us. The tribe of Sudrland has just lost a battle against the Christians in Nordrland. They are weakened and vulnerable. We must attack now and subjugate them.

Nils, Vemundr and Angrboda nodded their heads.

N: I fully support this plan, my chief. It will bring us much wealth and power.

Ve: I agree with Nils, my chief. This is a great opportunity for us to expand our territory.

A: I trust in your judgement, my love. Whatever you decide, I will support you.

But Sigrbjörn the Godi, and Vigdis did not agree with his plans.

S: I must object, my chief. These are fellow believers of Odin. We should not attack them.

Vi: I must agree with the Godi, my chief. It is not honorable to attack our own people, we should be attacking the Christians.

Thoke raised his voice slightly.

T: I appreciate your concerns, but I have made my decision. I am the chief, you are both questioning my authority and my judgement.

Vigdis replied immediately, also slightly raising her voice.

Vi: My chief, I am not questioning your authority. I am simply expressing my belief that this is not the right course of action.

S: I too am not questioning your authority, my chief. I am merely trying to guide you in accordance with our religion and the gods' will.

Thoke approached them, he was starting to get angry.

T: Shut up Sigrbjörn! Has Odin himself told you of his will? And Vigdis, you are my marshal, you should be supporting my decisions not questioning them!

Vigdis raised her hand, trying to diffuse the situation.

Vi: My chief, as your marshal I have a duty to speak up when I believe something is wrong. I cannot in good conscience support this attack.

Thoke got closer to his marshal, he was within arm's reach.

T: I see. If you cannot support my decisions, maybe you are not fit to be my marshal anymore.

Vigdis was silent, but didn't flinch. No one said a word. Nils and Vemundr exchanged worried glances. The chief is a skilled fighter, but there is no one in the tribe who can beat Vigdis. There might be warriors who are physically stronger, but none can match her combination of strength and agility.

Angrboda walked slowly between them and started talking with a calm voice.

A: Before we take any further actions, may I ask what you think will happen when the Christians in Vestrland hear that their neighbors are weak? Will they not take advantage of this opportunity and attack them instead?

Sigrbjörn and Vigdis were silent.

Vi: You're right, Angrboda. Vestrland would likely conquer Sudrland if we do nothing.

A: Then we have two choices. We either allow the Christians to become stronger, or we become stronger. What do you think would be best for our tribe's survival and prosperity?

Angrboda stared at Vigdis with an expressionless face. Sigrbjörn and Vigdis were at a loss for words, as they considered the implications of the witches argument. It was Nils who broke the silence.

N: Fellow councilors, if we let the Christians conquer Sudrland, we would be the only tribe left on the island that follows Odin. We would be outnumbered.

Vemundr was next to try and reason with the two councilors.

Ve: If we attack now, we will most likely quickly conquer the neighboring tribe with minimal losses on both sides. They have already lost one battle and are likely to surrender or route quickly. If you truly care for the wellbeing of our fellow believers, you should understand that we must take their tribe into our influence. Under our protection, they will be safe from the Christians. We would control half of the island, and the Christians would control half. Peace would be preserved.

Sigrbjörn and Vigdis were still silent. They were still contemplating all that had just been said.

Thoke was glad to have the support of at least some of his councilors. He tried to control his breathing, calm his anger. Maybe it was best he didn't say anything right now.

Finally Sigrbjörn spoke up.

S: I understand. We cannot let our fellow believers of Odin be conquered by the Christians. I support the plan of attack.

Then, Vigdis.

Vi: I understand the importance of protecting our tribe and faith. I support the plan of attack.

Thoke smiled, and placed his hand on his marshal's shoulder.

T: I am glad to hear it. Vigdis, gather our troops and go to Sudrland. Explain that we are taking the tribe under our protection. If they resist, show them the difference in our strength.

Vigdis takes the men and marches them to Sudrland. They resist and a fight ensues.

It goes predictably.

The war was over after the first battle but we still gotta wait out the siege. Can't wait for siege equipment...

Thoke orders his marshal to stay in Sudrland for the time being to establish control. It would take time until the people of Sudrland understood that this was a better arrangement for all of them.

Counties in CK3 have something called "control", which basically means what percentage of it's levies and taxes you get. Since we just conquered Sudrland, it's at 0 control, so completely worthless. We need to increase the control so that we actually benefit at all from conquering it.

---------------------------

A couple months after the conquest, Angrboda tells him that she has something in mind. They take a long walk in the hills, discussing life and recent events of the tribe. The people are unhappy that Angrboda's mother has not managed to figure out why the cattle are dying. Thoke says that there is growing unrest and he might be forced to replace her to calm the villagers.

A: It pains me, but don't worry. I understand. I also don't want to see mother this stressed. Let's hope Erika can help her figure out what's wrong, she is wise and I trust her.

Erika has succeeded in befriending Angrboda.

Thoke smiles at his wife.

T: Let's hope she can. Could Abdullah be of assistance? He is a wise healer after all. Haven't you been talking to him?

A: Yes I have, he has been asking me to help him understand the local plants.

T: How has it been going?

A: He still needs time, but he has made some progress. But more importantly, he is someone we can trust.

Angrboda has succeeded in befriending Abdullah.

Abdullah has made progress in learning the herbalist trait from Angrboda.

Thoke is reminded of how he couldn't make some of his councilors see his point of view.

T: I see. That is good to know. Maybe I should talk to him some more.

A: That is a good idea. We will be needing his help soon with something.

Angrboda takes his husbands hand and places it on her belly. She is smiling and looking him in the eyes.

T: Is this true my love? Are we to have a child?

A: Yes we are.

Thoke drops to his knees in front of her.

T: A child.

He hugs his wife, pressing his cheek on her belly. She strokes his hair. Suddenly she points at the night sky.

A: Look my love! The sky!

Thoke stands up and looks at the sky which is filled with bright lights.

T: The gods have given us a sign! Our child is surely blessed!

A: This is great news husband!

The two of them hug each other, happy to receive such a sign from the gods.

---------------------------

A few weeks later, Thoke is having a small meeting with Angrboda, Vemundr and Nils. He is in a good mood, discussing various things with his councilors.

T: I hear you have your eyes on Svanhild, how has that been going?

Nils laughs heartily.

N: She is warming up to me. It may take some time but I will have that woman yet, mark my words.

Nils has made progress in courting Svanhild.

The four of them are joking around and having fun. The laughter stops however, as the Godi barges in. Everyone looks at the man who is clearly angry about something.

S: This is an outrage! Chieftain, do you know what the foreigner has done?!

T: Which foreigner? What do you mean?

S: Abdullah! He has been poisoning the minds of some of the villagers!

T: Poisoning? What has he done?

S: He has been talking to some of the villagers about his god! They have abandoned our gods in favor of his!

Thoke has a feeling this will not go well.

T: How many are we talking about?

S: I've talked with five already! They told me they started asking him questions and became enchanted with his words! Something must be done!

T: And what would you have me do? The villagers are free to ask him about his god, and he is free to answer as he chooses. At least they aren't turning to Christianity. Besides, there is no one in the tribe who is as good of a healer as Abdullah. Do you understand how many lives he has saved during his time here?

S: He may have saved a few lives, but he is threatening our beliefs and traditions! I demand you exile him!

Angrboda speaks up, holding her belly with one hand.

A: No! The tribe needs his knowledge!

Vemundr glances at his sister's belly, then at Thoke, who stands up from the chieftains seat.

V: Sigbrjörn, perhaps this is-

T: Demand? You demand that I exile him?

Thoke starts walking towards the Godi.

S: Yes! He is threatening our way of life!

Thoke walks up to him and punches him in the guts, the man falls to his knees.

T: It wasn't enough that you challenged my authority earlier, now you make demands of me. What is wrong with you?

He grabs the mans head with one hand and starts pummeling his face with the other, yelling in between punches.

T: Do you think you are in a position to make demands!? I need Abdullah! My unborn child needs Abdullah! The gods gave me a sign!

He pushes the man to the floor and kicks him.

T: Get up. Get up you pig.

The Godi tries to stand up.

S: Please my chief, please listen to me, you must-

Angrboda sticks her knife in the godi's back, silencing him.

A: You fool. You are replacable. Abdullah is not.

The man falls on the floor, dying in silence.

Everyone is silent for a while.

T: Nils, you own some pigs don't you?

N: Yes, dozens of them.

T: Feed them his corpse. Don't let anyone see you. No one can know what has happened. Do you need help carrying him?

N: I have someone who can help me.

T: Can we trust him?

N: He is smart enough to not ask any questions and keep his mouth shut. We can trust him.

Rolando has succeeded in befriending Nils.

Thoke smiled at his steward.

T: Good. Go get him. You two can move him when it's dark.

Nils leaves to look for his friend. Thoke walks up to his chancellor.

T: Vemundr, my brother. I need a new Godi. Can you find someone more useful than the last one?

V: Of course my brother, leave it all to me.

As Vemundr leaves, Thoke is all alone with his wife. He hugs her and whispers in her ear.

T: I will not let anyone endanger our family, my love.

A: Me neither, my love.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
AJ_Impy, as Vemundr has been tasked with finding a new Godi, you must now make a choice. This is a list of all possible options, choose one that is best suited to serve the chieftain. If the new Godi proves to be a good choice, the chieftain is surely going to be happy with you. Let's just hope the new Godi won't make the same mistakes that the last one did...

(In case you haven't played CK3 before, the last skill on the right is the one associated with being a good Godi. Ignore those that are already councilors)