Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Sure, I'll throw a character in:

Nils Askeladden

Appearance: Just gonna grab this one off CKTinder, gets the general aesthetic vibe down at least.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CKTinder/comments/zozz7g/my_attempt_at_emperor_sigismund_used_bit_of_a/
https://pastebin.com/hNyx3WDq

Traits: Brave, Ambitious, Greedy

Education: Stewardship

Sexuality: Bisexual

Culture: Norse

Faith: Asatru

I'm keeping things as basic as possible mechanically for the actual submission, but the idea is: wealthy Icelandic freeholder who built his fortune settling the place, but saw which way the wind was blowing when the Count showed up/got himself established and figured that he'd go big or go home by pledging himself as the count's sworn man. Has something of a tendency for the grasp of his eyes to outweigh that of his hands, but it's always ended well so far, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Finnish Flasher posted:

How old are your characters? You can give the exact age or a range whichever you prefer.

Late 30s, early 40s.

Also, cast my vote for Angrboda, there would probably be too much friction between Thoke and Ingrid, but there needs to be at least one person among the comital couple who can resolve disputes with something other than a punch to the face.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Character looks fine to me, aesthetic/design-wise. Maybe trade 2 Learning points for whatever that gets in Martial. A priest, Nils is not.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

An excerpt from the Askebyggjasaga, one of the sagas of the Icelanders, being a family chronicle following the generations of the Askeladden family. The chapter focuses not on the primary subject matter of the saga, but instead as an important background element, details the rise of Thoke af Vestrsaer in the general acclaim of the families around the region of Austrland, consolidating what had been a relatively informal set of powers held by his father into those of a formal chiefdom similar to those possessed in Norway.

Of the Quarrel of Thoke, Vali, and Bard and its Resolution

So it was at this time that Thoke, who was called af Vestrsaer ("the Northerner") for how he and his father had been the first among to cross the North Sea, grew wroth and spoke. He said: "Did my father, who you respected best among all the lawspeakers of Iceland, ever fail to seek my counsel, once I was a man fully grown? Did you not consent for me to judge in his stead when he went a-viking, summer after summer?" And to this Vali and his kinsmen could give no objection, however Bard Gunnalaugsson, who was a well known guest at Vali's homestead, replied: "Had I wished to serve a Jarl, I would have stayed in Hĺlogaland, but here in Iceland we are free men." And many could not help but think that such a thing was manfully done and cut to the truth of the matter. In response, Thoke sprang up and went away from the Hill and refused to deal with any at the Thing but Vémundr, through whom he conducted his family's business.

But in Thoke's absence there were a great many disputes that were left unresolved as the parties involved could not find one to judge them who was not busy or whom both sides could agree was fit to judge. And the matter grew worse over the course of several days, until for fear that their matters would not be resolved until the next Thing, the men and women of several households went secretly to Thoke and asked for his advice. Whereupon even though he had not been aware of the details until he was given the cases, Thoke was able to work out their end and give good counsel.

After this had happened, Angrboda came to Thoke and said: "It is not good that you feud with Vali and Bard, let me speak to them on your behalf and bring it to an end." Thoke, who respected Angrboda's counsel, agreed and said that in this she would have full authority to speak with his voice, and gave her his ring. She then went to Vali and Bard with the ring and said: "It is not good that your quarrel with Thoke has left the men of Austrland confused. Would it not be better to put this to an end?" And Vali agreed, saying that he had only hesitated because he wanted to see that the man retained good counsel even in the absence of his father, but Bard continued to insist that he would not be subject to the law of one man. "You ignore..." Angrboda coolly replied: "that it has already been made clear that this is what the people wish to be so. To obey the law of no man but oneself is to make oneself an outlaw, in spirit, if not in deed." At this Bard cursed, saying that she was a witch of a woman and that he would go south where there were less craven folk, but would not contest this thing in public.

So it was that the matter came to a close and Thoke af Vestrsaer was reconciled entirely to Vali the Brewer, and publicly to Bard Gunnalaugsson, though they continued feuding. At the end of the Thing, Thoke gave gifts to Angrboda Svartrfrigga saying that she was among the wisest of women. Many spoke of this, and of how Thoke was now preeminent among the men of Austrland in such a manner as had not been known in Iceland in those days.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 15, 2023

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

TorakFade posted:

Rolando definitely realizes that being alone in a different culture court isn't going to let him soar on the wings of his ambition. He must certainly befriend someone first, to avoid being singled out! He'd like to approach Nils since they seem to share a passion for economic things, and he seems to also be ambitious which could be cause for friction but also cause to be allied and push each other's claims/ambitions. Worth a try!

Nils would be more than happy to accept.

He's also going to try and court Svanhild, having been fairly impressed by her bearing during Thoke's own courtship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

As it fits his general style of endeavors and is headed up by his good friend Rolando, Nils would like to join the Warlike Raiders for Profit.