Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Bills? Bengals?
This poll is closed.
Bills 9 23.68%
Bengals 7 18.42%
Billgals 9 23.68%
Bengills 13 34.21%
Total: 25 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Is it over or is going to be played tomorrow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Adam Schefter just adding absolutely nothing of value as usual

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I'm glad Suzy is now shifting to "what took so loving long"

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

don't send me a pm about how the crowd in cincinnati was booing really loud and angry when they finally announce the game is not resuming. goodnight all

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/FOX19Tricia/status/1610106980005191689?t=OfyWuTuG6Y_ETh6lsQn8mA&s=19

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

trilljester posted:

Is it over or is going to be played tomorrow?

No one on Earth can answer this question right now.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

indigi posted:

let's not jump to conclusions, we saw a similar thing with Antonio Brown once

I salute you, goons willing and able to mark dark humor at times like this

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I'd think that they'd sooner call it a draw before playing it on Thursday. Gives very little time for rest before the Bengals game on Saturday and the Bills game on Sunday. Maybe they could push both those games until next Monday or something?

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I think if a dude dies, then you call the game... is a good precedent to set.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
There's gotta be something else they can put on instead of petrified announcers. 30 for 30, esports, that Microsoft Excel championships something injury-free and neutral

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Dango Bango posted:

This has to be totally surreal to be in that crowd

Just imagine being a super fan there, not knowing if there'll be a game tomorrow night. How are you even going to get enough orange and black face paint in time or 50 more hotdogs?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

So, 4 years ago I had a friend killed in an explosion. We kept doing our job of evacuating the area, running patients to the hospital, etc., after we were given the go ahead to clock out. That was largely a "need to keep busy or we'll go insane" case and obviously bigger than a football game.

The point I'm getting at is, if this game goes on, it has to be only because of the players wanting it to so they are able to "keep busy". Literally nobody else outside of that locker room should make the decision for them. If they decide to keep playing I absolutely get it, but hope they don't.

Yeah, in 2019 Albert Almora Jr. hit a foul ball that seriously injured a toddler in the stands then told his manager he wanted to stay in the game so he could have something else to think about. He was shaken and barely able to play, but he got through the game.

Modern medicine is amazing and Hamlin had an ambulance get to him immediately, so I really hope he's OK. I went into cardiac arrest in an ER and survived thanks to CPR and oxygen being available right away.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
We're two awkward breaks away from the in-studio announcing crews calling for the commissioner to resign.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
2 days in and i wanna beat the poo poo out of 2023.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Withnail posted:

I think if a dude dies, then you call the game... is a good precedent to set.

Call it the Rocky IV Rule

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

pmchem posted:

back in 1994 formula one, Senna and another driver died during a race. which was restarted multiple times and ultimately finished.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_San_Marino_Grand_Prix

closest comparative I can think of
IIRC in either the 60s or 70s Formula 1 had a stretch where it averaged at least one driver death per year.

They used to have basically no safety protocols for safety crews. It led to an incident where a track safety crewman tried to run across the track with a fire extinguisher because a car had crash and was on fire, and somehow there was no yellow flag, and he was hit by a car going full speed and instantly killed, and then the fire extinguisher hit the driver in the on-fire car in the head and nearly decapitated him.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Codependent Poster posted:

I wasn't paying attention to this and I'm glad I wasn't watching.

This poo poo sucks. I hope he makes it through

Honestly it didn't even appear that bad in real time, just like typical football.

It has to be the one-in-a-million shot that hit the mark because it wasn't visually terrible, or at least certainly didn't seem that way.

Him standing and falling will haunt me forever though.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

really queer Christmas posted:

If this was like 10 years back I bet Ivan makes a gif appearance. Nice to see it didn't happen.

E fb

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

haljordan posted:

Call it the Rocky IV Rule

I morbidly chuckled lol

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

CapnAndy posted:

Jerry you utter loving carny

(the "being caused by a blow to the chest" thing is something they came up with later so they could pin the very real heart attack he had, live on air, on a heel, who luckily had hit him the week before)

Wait, those Ziggler elbows weren't from the same episode where he had the heart attack? :stare:

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Kalli posted:

Just imagine being a super fan there, not knowing if there'll be a game tomorrow night. How are you even going to get enough orange and black face paint in time or 50 more hotdogs?

There's a guy named Bruce in the stands who funneled 6 parking lot beers and thought he had 4 quarters to sober up

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

haljordan posted:

I'll applaud his effort to appear like he has empathy

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Kalli posted:

50 more hotdogs?

50? I had no idea that Prince Solomon Rockefeller von Rothschild was a Bengals fan

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

really queer Christmas posted:

it's the only weapon we have in the face of scary existential poo poo like this

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

sweet thursday posted:

There's a guy named Bruce in the stands who funneled 6 parking lot beers and thought he had 4 quarters to sober up

We salute you, Bruce

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

MJeff posted:

Wait, those Ziggler elbows weren't from the same episode where he had the heart attack? :stare:
I don't think so

but if I'm wrong, they were certainly distanced by enough time to not be a proximate cause, Lawler was back behind the desk and calling a match when he collapsed

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

sweet thursday posted:

dont doxx me

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

MJeff posted:

I assume the reason we're not hearing anything is because they're having to figure out the answers to these questions in real time.

Yeah. I also assumed the 5 minute thing wasn't like a decision someone made but some written half assed contingency plan.

Dango Bango posted:

This has to be totally surreal to be in that crowd

I wonder how much info they even have. It's been years since I've been to an NFL game, but I remember often having very reduced internet access because the local cell towers would get overloaded by the added 70kish people. I imagine they'd have to know by now, but they were probably well behind the internet.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Tayter Swift posted:

There's gotta be something else they can put on instead of petrified announcers. 30 for 30, esports, that Microsoft Excel championships something injury-free and neutral

A panicked intern open-palm slams a VHS into the VCR to air on the ESPN Family of networks. It's a documentary about Clint Malarchuk.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I dont know what to say

https://twitter.com/FOX19Tricia/status/1610106980005191689?s=20

if its not embedding "I am told that Damar Hamlin has been intubated and is currently listed in critical condition. @fox19"

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

haljordan posted:

I'm honestly just glad he's not actively making this worse.

W: Never mind there it is. "It has happened before, and it'll happen again."

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whos that broooown posted:

I'll applaud his effort to appear like he has empathy
Could you imagine if Darren Rovell was still employed by ESPN and happened to be there

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I'm kind surprised ESPN just hasn't thrown to SportsCenter or something

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Bad enough to get 3YL to seriouspost. I'd hoped to never see the day.
https://twitter.com/3YearLetterman/status/1610104170576580610?t=T0hbbDROHovUp2Mt_925tg&s=19

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The good news is Hamlin got to the hospital within the golden hour of medical care, so his chances of living are higher than if they got there late.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

wilderthanmild posted:

Yeah. I also assumed the 5 minute thing wasn't like a decision someone made but some written half assed contingency plan.

I wonder how much info they even have. It's been years since I've been to an NFL game, but I remember often having very reduced internet access because the local cell towers would get overloaded by the added 70kish people. I imagine they'd have to know by now, but they were probably well behind the internet.

Cell towers and nodes are everywhere these days, and they have extra at stadiums and event centers. They all know.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Crazy Ted posted:

IIRC in either the 60s or 70s Formula 1 had a stretch where it averaged at least one driver death per year.

They used to have basically no safety protocols for safety crews. It led to an incident where a track safety crewman tried to run across the track with a fire extinguisher because a car had crash and was on fire, and somehow there was no yellow flag, and he was hit by a car going full speed and instantly killed, and then the fire extinguisher hit the driver in the on-fire car in the head and nearly decapitated him.

The Isle of Mann TT motorcycle race averages more than one death a year, with the worst being 6 deaths in 1970

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/msainat1/status...ingawful.com%2F

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

"Officially suspended"

About goddamn time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Game officially suspended for today