Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/kelseylconway/status/1610111737659019264?s=46&t=lFXiytEKnS2R4w6zXPIHqg

God what an awful position to be in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Wiltsghost posted:

i dunno who this is talking to svp but i like him

Ryan Clark, who played DB mostly for pittsburgh

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It's legit hard to tell who is a verified account right now. loving Musk that dipshit.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Wiltsghost posted:

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1610115240171307009

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/terrellowens/status/1610105369250123776?s=46&t=AuRBwc1U4YP-gy1F4pLohA

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Pimpcasso posted:

I used to be an emt so I'm used this horrible poo poo

Fair enough. From the perspective of someone who has never seen something like this, the dawning realization that I may have seen someone die in real time made my stomach lurch a bit.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

FistEnergy posted:

What a horrible turn of events. Really hope he pulls through. At least a team of medical professionals was there to respond almost instantly.

This is the silver lining of this, if there is any. I think I remember from the Ryan Shazier injury that they were able to use some sort of brain stem/core coolant that was considered essentially inaccessible except for this situation.

Hopefully it prevented the worst outcome and Hamlin makes it through.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Wiltsghost posted:

Ryan Clark, former Pittsburgh and Washington safety.

Clark is normally kinda dumb, but he nearly died after playing a game in Denver due to a sickle cell issue, and after that could never play games in Denver again.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Mooseontheloose posted:

does he show the hit and collapse, cause not sure I can handle that.

The hit, yes. It's a tackle youve seen 1000 times before. He doesn't show the collapse.

Basically, in layman's terms, this doctor thinks that this is a rare cardiac event in which he took a blunt force trauma to the chest at the exact right (or wrong) moment in the electrical wave of the heartbeat or something like that.

Basically the freakest of freak occurrences.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

There’s an old saying in broadcasting, it’s in sports broadcasting, probably broadcasting.

Show it once, shame on…shame on you.

Show it…it can’t get shown again.

:clapping:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

fartknocker posted:

Ryan Clark, former Pittsburgh and Washington safety.

Clark is normally kinda dumb, but he nearly died after playing a game in Denver due to a sickle cell issue, and after that could never play games in Denver again.

I mean, god help me since this is kind of making light of everything, but this is partially why we got the Tebow game lol

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

I can't imagine what he must be feeling. He did nothing wrong but he'll carry this guilt with him for a long time.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

SirPablo posted:

Reminds me of an event that happened in Minnesota - 14 year old Patrick Schoonover just collapsed on the ice during a hockey game, dead.

https://twitter.com/playforpatrick?lang=en

I remember in the late 90s or early 2000s somethign similar in the boston area, kid got checked at the wrong time and collapsed on the ice.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

:hai:

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

:hmmyes:

Real bad sign when TO is who is correct.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

I remember in the late 90s or early 2000s somethign similar in the boston area, kid got checked at the wrong time and collapsed on the ice.
Travis Roy - IIRC it was his first shift as a Freshman for either Boston College or Boston U and he ended up with a broken neck.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I'd like to whip a battery at Skip's face

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

SVP is doing an amazing job right now

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

NFL wanted to get the game going again...? Wow.

Also this is apparently just the Bad Take Super Bowl. These people have brain poisoning where they think they are expected, nay, relied upon to offer their insight into everything, and can't turn it off. Hopefully the microphone is turned off for them.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
There are a lot of dumb and spicy takes out there, we are better off just ignoring them and not giving them more attention

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Also worth remembering that Ryan Clark has some real first hand experience, he nearly died from a ruptured spleen playing at Mile High cause he has sickle cell.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I mean, god help me since this is kind of making light of everything, but this is partially why we got the Tebow game lol

Black humor to cope with the raw tragedy and unfairness of the world is the Something Awful staple, really.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

He shows the hit, and the standing up, but cuts it before the collapse.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Tom Tucker posted:

Nah I think that was just the refs following standard protocol, they can't do anything different unless basically Roger Goodell tells them otherwise. Luckily both teams said "gently caress this".

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

He lost his dad to a sudden medical emergency right before the season started.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

NFL Cancelled the mandatory press conferences tonight btw.

I knew the game was cancelled, but they might've been dumb to make the coaches go out and give their pressers.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

I mean, it didn't even look like the hit did it. I mean, it must have somehow but it was just so normal.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Tom Tucker posted:

Also this is apparently just the Bad Take Super Bowl. These people have brain poisoning where they think they are expected, nay, relied upon to offer their insight into everything, and can't turn it off. Hopefully the microphone is turned off for them.

There's speculation that that was just the normal rule after a major injury and that there wasn't anything in place for "Player nearly dies on field"

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

He lost his dad to a sudden medical emergency right before the season started.

gently caress :smith:

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

https://twitter.com/doulbedoink/status/1610108853089099778?s=46&t=WTVhB5ytphQPUvPLHx0byg

good to remember with the kind of dogshit some people will sling out tonight

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Over 600k now.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

haljordan posted:

Nah I think that was just the refs following standard protocol, they can't do anything different unless basically Roger Goodell tells them otherwise. Luckily both teams said "gently caress this".

Ah that's good at least - good on them either way for just walking off. That seems like an easy 5-minute zoom call, though, if you're Goodell.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Tom Tucker posted:

It seems like it was a much more fluid situation than these tweets about the 5 minutes thing are making it sound. I think the normal severe injury policy calls for 5 minutes of warmup time, they ran with that, and in the meantime the coaches talked and decided to take the players to the locker room. It doesn't sound like the NFL was trying to force the players to get back out there and play.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Including a Ryan Shazier tweet on ESPN is... Uh, well it's a decision.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
There have been more gruesome sport injuries but I think the normality of his collapse and the fact that he's still in critical condition and fighting for his life makes this the most devastating one in my lifetime since Dale Earnhardt, holy gently caress

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Fans are going over to the hospital? wtf

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Tom Tucker posted:

Ah that's good at least - good on them either way for just walking off. That seems like an easy 5-minute zoom call, though, if you're Goodell.

I remember the refs tried to call off the Bottlegate game with 48 seconds left on the clock and Paul Tagliabue forced them to get the players back out there to take a couple knees after a 20 minute delay

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, re: the 5-minute warm-up thing, with a little more time to think about it I am willing to give the refs the benefit of the doubt that they were themselves shaken up the situation and were just trying to stick to their jobs and go by the book. But it's still outrageous that there wasn't already a better contingency for this or that Goodell made everyone wait so long before he made the call.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Over 600k now.

I'm in, least I can do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001