Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Napoleon. McCallum. :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Dr_Strangelove posted:

This was a bad one. It's relaxing to fall into chat about injuries of yore now that Hamlin is probably going to be all right.

Ankle dislocations are fun in the worst way, I remember Jason Kendall stepping on first base the wrong way and his foot just flopping all over the place in every direction but the right one.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I had PTSD from my injury that led to the embolism and cardiac arrest. For a while, I felt freaked out just standing on first base. Hopefully Hamlin isn't affected too badly by this, but if he is he's got the best therapy money can buy and millions of people encouraging him.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
And don't forget, that if you watched that happen live or saw footage of it, it could drat well be affecting YOU too. Maybe not as directly or as intensely, but it's still watching a guy seem to die on national television. If you've got someone you can talk about it with, do so.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Don't let people who didn't see the game live steal your NFL Game Viewer Valor.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Redeye Flight posted:

And don't forget, that if you watched that happen live or saw footage of it, it could drat well be affecting YOU too. Maybe not as directly or as intensely, but it's still watching a guy seem to die on national television. If you've got someone you can talk about it with, do so.

It's probably a good thing I was only have paying attention at the time and left the room to do other poo poo a few times so for me it was "Huh, how'd he get hurt?" to "Huh, that dude's been on the field for a while" to "Wait what, why is there an ambulance?!"

My dad died in front of my mom and me from a pulmonary embolism and like that college football season, Urban Meyer collapsed on the field and I'm pretty sure I had a panic attack, not because "Oh no MUH COACH" but "Oh gently caress, did I just watch someone else die?!"

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

beep by grandpa posted:

go type in Zamboni Oil Leak into google images to see a very unfortunate coincidence :laugh:

(I really hope i'm the first to show some of you this)
Posting to say this is my first time seeing it and I got a good laugh.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Another blast from the past: The guy who rescued "Baby Jessica" from the well ended up getting PTSD & other mental health problems from the incident, and later committed suicide. This even though Baby Jessica herself suffered no long-term mental or physical effects from her fall down the well - she's a married Special Ed teacher with kids. Just the pressure of the rescue itself had an enormous affect on the guy who did it.

Just being around physical trauma or high-stakes situations like that can really mess a person up.

Yeah, though he's obviously and rightly at the centre of this, other people might be deeply affected too. Tee Higgins should probably be talking to someone. Obviously it's not his fault and no one should be blaming him for any of this, but that doesn't mean he's not feeling any responsibility internally.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Redeye Flight posted:

Buffalo goon checking in .... you make really great points. I took some weed edibles before the game which made the experience REALLY messed up.

Today is day 11/30 for a weed tolerance break. While this wasn't the sole impetus for abstinence, it definitely was a push in that direction.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

One of my longest weed breaks started December 14th 2012 with a similar sort of “Jesus loving Christ”- I had just finished my last final for a college semester and had a bunch of weed and no plans except about 12 hours straight of Skyrim on a pretty new desktop PC so I was pumped to get stoned and play all day.

Then I got a call from a relative, a former kindergarten teacher.

Sandy Hook, lol

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Docjowles posted:

Yeah it was Kamara just like casually bombing straight down a mountain in Montana on apparently one of his first ever runs lol. I think most of us have friends or family (or maybe even the rare goon athlete) who easily do well at any kind of athletic stuff they try. Now imagine that natural ability times 10 plus it's literally their job to train year round with the best possible facilities and coaches and yeah.

The video itself isn't anything crazy, other than doing it for the first time and immediately being very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJE5L4IifUM

Well I wanted to take up snowboarding again but now I'm just depressed after that

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

So Damar Hamlin

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

all I know is the trauma I experience watching that happen means roger goodwill owes me a check and I’d better see a TV-MA before each football game.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Redeye Flight posted:

Does nobody watch the news or go on the internet? It was insanely terrifying at the time but.. claiming your own level of trauma simply watching it is a bit much

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Oh god, that one.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

mllaneza posted:

Oh god, that one.
I don't ever, EVER want to see a leg bend that way again.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Does nobody watch the news or go on the internet? It was insanely terrifying at the time but.. claiming your own level of trauma simply watching it is a bit much

Depends on exposure, but retraumatizarion is certainly a thing, if you’re exposed to something that reminds or brings up past traumatic experiences it can cause your brain to effectively relive your trauma, maybe that’s what they mean? I’m certainly activated by particular senses/noises/etc, TV hasn’t ever been an issue but I’m sure it can be for some folks.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Nvm bebunked:

https://twitter.com/HamlinIsland/status/1614672586394181634?t=

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 15, 2023

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I can't believe they cleared his heart to be with the team, especially with him staying at home. Hope some doctor here can clarify if that's safe in his current condition.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Kangra posted:

I can't believe they cleared his heart to be with the team, especially with him staying at home. Hope some doctor here can clarify if that's safe in his current condition.

He had a bazillion tests. If anyone was at all worried, he would not be there.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

sheri posted:

:thejoke: was that his heart was physically separated from his body and taken to the game

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kangra posted:

his care team is intimately familiar w his condition and is in the best position to guide the speed of his recovery, what additional insight is an armchair MD gonna provide lol

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

sheri posted:

whoosh

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

his care team is intimately familiar w his condition and is in the best position to guide the speed of his recovery, what additional insight is an armchair MD gonna provide lol

whoosh

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Dr_Strangelove posted:

I remember watching one injury from many years back where a college player (probably a WR) ran into one of those cargo carts behind the endzone and you could see the compound fracture starting. I think it was during a bowl game.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Qwijib0 posted:

:thejoke: was that his heart was physically separated from his body and taken to the game

Haha. 😬 Whoops. My reading comprehension flew right out the window there.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Taerkar posted:

I remember watching one injury from many years back where a college player (probably a WR) ran into one of those cargo carts behind the endzone and you could see the compound fracture starting. I think it was during a bowl game.
Oh god I think I remember that one too. He went in shin-first, didn't he?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That sounds right. As someone who's got multiple things wrong with their legs, it makes me shudder just thinking about it.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Tyrone Prothro

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Yeah, that was Prothro. Career-ending injury. He's had 11 surgeries over the years to repair it, but it's still not back to 100%. Just loving heinous.

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 17, 2023

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Toaster Beef posted:

Yeah, that was Prothro. Career-ending injury. He's had 11 surgeries over the years to repair it, but it's still not back to 100%. Just loving heinous.

Mike Shula just had to go all-in on humiliating Florida as hard as possible in the 4th. What a dingus.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Taerkar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfGqU5Mdeuo

Found it. It was as awful as I remember.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

I accidentally watched a replay of Steven Stamkos catching an edge and smashing his shin against the goal post. That was the bad one for me. No more gross replays

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Toaster Beef posted:

poo poo, after that just give me a peg leg

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

korrandark posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfGqU5Mdeuo

Found it. It was as awful as I remember.

Yeah, and I remember the cart was yellow too of all things. That was horrible to watch. Apparently just a regular season game so I have no idea why I was watching it.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 17, 2023

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Those things are even worse when they happen in high school sports.

I worked in education for eight years. Once a starter for the basketball team at the other local high school in my district broke his leg landing wrong and my colleagues who worked there said that because there was only 1,500 to 2K in attendance and they had good seats they could all hear the crunches of his leg breaking.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you guys remember when psycho sid jumped off the top rope and snapped his leg in half. anyway i hope damar can make it to the game this week or if not then perhaps the super bowl if they make it.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I wasn't able to watch, was he not at the Bills game last weekend?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Lifespan posted:

on this very page, friend

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

beep by grandpa posted:

on this very page, friend

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lifespan posted:

His heart was. They hooked a pig's heart up to him at home during the game so he could continue to watch.