Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
https://twitter.com/jordonr/status/1610116502845558784

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Crescent Wrench posted:

Yeah, re: the 5-minute warm-up thing, with a little more time to think about it I am willing to give the refs the benefit of the doubt that they were themselves shaken up the situation and were just trying to stick to their jobs and go by the book. But it's still outrageous that there wasn't already a better contingency for this or that Goodell made everyone wait so long before he made the call.

This is where I'm at. Goodell should have made some decision before it got to the point that the refs tried to resume play.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Crescent Wrench posted:

Yeah, re: the 5-minute warm-up thing, with a little more time to think about it I am willing to give the refs the benefit of the doubt that they were themselves shaken up the situation and were just trying to stick to their jobs and go by the book. But it's still outrageous that there wasn't already a better contingency for this or that Goodell made everyone wait so long before he made the call.

remember this: it is always ok to blame roger goodell

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Crescent Wrench posted:

I really don't want to give the impression that I'm going to the mat for the NFL but...I feel like the process of actually canceling a game like this is probably more complicated than Goodell just making a phone call? I just hope that they told the players right away that they were getting that process started and that they wouldn't have to play, that's really all that matters.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

One of his friends/a marketing rep (apparently):

https://twitter.com/jordonr/status/1610116502845558784?s=20&t=cSPqMsSyOrlhm8G3fSBqsw

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Crescent Wrench posted:

Like any developing story, we only have bits and pieces. And even then I am sure the refs were like, if we we are going by the rules, this is what we do. Luckily, the coaches and the players seem to recognize this isn't normal and calmer heads prevailed.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Oh thank God

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Kalli posted:

NFL Cancelled the mandatory press conferences tonight btw.

I knew the game was cancelled, but they might've been dumb to make the coaches go out and give their pressers.

did the nfl cancel them or did the coaches just say "go gently caress yourself" like they did after the refs gave them 5 minutes

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

So now the NFL can pretend it didn't happen.

Thank loving god he is ok.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dango Bango posted:

Fans are going over to the hospital? wtf

It's Cincinnati on a Monday night there isn't much else to do

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Professor Funk posted:

I really don't want to give the impression that I'm going to the mat for the NFL but...I feel like the process of actually canceling a game like this is probably more complicated than Goodell just making a phone call? I just hope that they told the players right away that they were getting that process started and that they wouldn't have to play, that's really all that matters.

Yeah I'd imagine the refs have some sort of league contact available during any game for emergencies, but even that guy can't make a decision of this magnitude so you have to get ahold of Goodell personally

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Fantastic news that he will likely survive. Even if he completely turns around in a week I can't imagine he would play again :(

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Being intubated can be "ok" relatively speaking if someones vitals are good right?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I hope so but who knows who this is. Hopefully it’ll get picked up by a news source soon.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah I don't know what any of these updates mean.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Vitals back to normal is a really good thing? Yes?

I mean, obviously it's not *bad*, but is that significant to his condition?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I read that as being put in a medically-induced coma. I hope I'm wrong :(

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Reminds me of DJ Hayden. He had to get open heart surgery following a hit in practice, but he pulled through. They said it was an injury that you would typically see in a car accident, and it has a really high mortality rate. Hopefully with the quick response Hamlin will be ok.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Lifespan posted:

Fantastic news that he will likely survive. Even if he completely turns around in a week I can't imagine he would play again :(

football players are loving crazy. if doctors clear him he will absolutely suit up for week 18

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Tricky Ed posted:

SVP's radio show the day after Stuart Scott died was some of the realest, rawest, most eloquent emotion I've ever seen on TV. He's got a tough job tonight but I don't know if I'd trust anyone else at ESPN to do it justice.

Jesus this is horrible.

I remember Dan Patrick having a really good show that day too, but I agree, I don’t think I’d trust anyone else at ESPN to be handling this right now except SVP.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I hope it's a good sign but we already knew he never lost his pulse (thankfully obviously) so I don't know how much of a sign.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Is there any actual source or the same people posting the same one tweet

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

kidcoelacanth posted:

remember this: it is always ok to blame roger goodell

It is literally his job to soak blame

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Prayers up to all the drones at yahoo and espn who get to start the new year out sorting the mess this makes of all the fantasy championship games

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Over 600k now.

TheKevman posted:

I'm in, least I can do

Same. Almost $700K now...

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

I want to believe but man

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I hope it's a good sign but we already knew he never lost his pulse (thankfully obviously) so I don't know how much of a sign.

But he went into cardiac arrest, right? That means his heart stopped?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

hard to tell without more info. it means he isn't physically dead

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

I guess his vitals being stable is better than the alternative. No clue what it means beyond that.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Go Bills

https://mobile.twitter.com/VLyonsTV/status/1610116642335346689

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

This SVP/Clark convo is REAL

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

fartknocker posted:

Same. Almost $700K now...

gently caress yea, let's loving goooooooooo

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Hamlin's GoFundMe is almost $700k now. NFL fans should push to get that over $1m tonight.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ryan Clark is speaking real right now.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Dango Bango posted:

This SVP/Clark convo is REAL

and a sadly nessacary discussion that needs to be had for Skip Bayless's of the world to hear.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

But he went into cardiac arrest, right? That means his heart stopped?

Yeah. Intubation is standard procedure after a cardiac arrest like this. This is the best news we could expect at this time, but his life is still in danger.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Sent some money their way.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ryan Clark is speaking real right now.

Yeah, he's been outstanding under the circumstances. Really, everyone on ESPN tonight other than Schefter.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

His vitals are stable but as far as long term prognosis is concerned unless he magically is better tomorrow we aren’t going to know things for days. He’ll certainly be intubated/sedated for at least 24 hrs if not more, and if there’s any long term damage it’ll take days before concrete evidence of that is established via CT/MRIs as well as general neurological assessments once he’s awake.

Tldr won’t know anything for a few days, speculation pointless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Preach Clark!