Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Pain of Mind posted:

Am I the only one annoyed they keep mentioning that he made the hit on Tee Higgins? It was such a routine play that there is no fault there for either of them, but it sounds like it is trying to pass some of the blame to him.

I was listening to the radio broadcast and Kevin Harlan and Rich Eisen both seemed to make an effort to specifically not mention that it was Tee, which I thought was really compassionate of both of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Fuckin’ A, so glad to hear he’s coming around and seems to be OK from a neuro standpoint. Amazing that those first responders on the field were able to bring him back from the dead.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

D. Hamlin - Doubtful - Death

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

He has this in his story too:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

As a matter of fact, he got one going today. Proceeds will go to support Cincinnati first responders and UCinn's trauma team.

(only complaint is that it goes through his Chasing Millions site, which itself reads kind of tacky)

https://twitter.com/HamlinIsland/status/1612195501327220740

Goddamn this dude owns so loving hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

mdemone posted:

It has to be a direct hit in a fairly compact area, which is when it happens in other sports. However the pads of football players absorb some of that energy and even more importantly, they dissipate the rest of the energy into a larger area. That's why it is extremely rare in football (but there are a few recorded instances aside from Hamlin).

It's just speculation, but maybe a hard edge of his padding was right in the right spot and transferred all the kinetic energy directly

iirc chest chest protectors aren’t effective in preventing commotio cordis and a bunch of people who have experienced it were wearing one

The real reason it is so vanishingly rare is that it requires an impact of certain force at a very precise location and time and it’s just a one in a billion chance