Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

indigi posted:

the times is a PR rag, much as I hate Joe Buck I'll take his word on it

I believe that Joe Buck repeated what was being told to him in his earpiece, and I also believe that this information he was given was possibly inaccurate, and most of all I believe that there is no actual 5 minute warmup controversy and both head coaches and the players would all tell you the same thing, that they were all treated respectfully on the field and were not being actually ordered to go out there and start playing again at any time. Because if they were, we'd actually have heard about it by now.

I think folks want to find something to be mad about and are grasping at straws, basically. Information passed through the TV production system to the announcers isn't always totally accurate. Nobody should be mad at Joe Buck or anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

If it's accurate that Joe Burrow was throwing passes on the sideline I doubt he was having a game of catch for fun at that point. So I believe the 5 minute thing was said at some point to someone.

Just then thankfully the coaches said what the hell are we doing here and got together and walked off the field.

Yeah we don't really know if it was just game-of-telephone "normally we'd have a warm up period here, the ambulance just drove off so let's start warming up I guess" turning into "we were told we had 5 minutes" or if someone on the field or someone else actually invoked the usual rule. What I think we can conclude is that it's not really important or significant regardless, because none of the team staff, coaches, or players have come out today to say "we're angry about being told to play" and that would probably have happened by now. We don't need to get angry on the behalf of people who aren't angry.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

It makes perfect sense that people who have recently been traumatized resort to things that are familiar and comfortable to cope with their feelings. There's really no playbook on what to do in a situation like this. They probably just needed to do something. Anything.

Yeah. And I think regardless of what some ref did or didn't say, we can be forgiving and understanding of the difficulty of the situation and folks trying to figure out what to do next.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm really relieved. I hope he makes a full recovery.

It's weird, all over the country and the world there's countless people in similar situations and the only people who care are a small circle of family, friends, co-workers, but this guy is in a big entertainment public eye because of his talent and drive and so now millions of people have been anxiously awaiting that rare and precious good news. Being famous must be so loving weird.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I also listen to ATC for plane accidents (it's cool how people work together, follow these arcane protocols, and stay cool under pressure), but never ones where someone dies. I probably wouldn't want to listen to one involving someone I knew, either. Too personal makes it too emotional?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I had to get a combo-wombo of a colonscopy and EGD (esophagogastroduodenoscopy, say that three times fast!) and you get sedated for that. The last thing I remember as they counted me down was the doc jamming something in my rear end, me saying "wait wait wait", and the doc saying "too late!" An instant later I woke up going "wait wait wait", in the recovery room, haha.

I also went under for an emergency appendectomy but I didn't do anything hilarious that time.

I've lost consciousness a bunch of times because I have a condition, vasovagal syncope, which causes me to pass out if several triggers stack up. For me the biggest ones are dehydration, lack of sleep, stress, and significant pain such as serious gastro distress. So that happens like once every couple of years or so. Because the loss of consciousness is due to a sudden drop of blood pressure, I'm given to understand that the experience is more or less identical to the feeling of dying from sudden blood loss.

It sucks. It's happened 20+ times in my life and it sucks every time. When I'm in deep and I know I'm definitely going out, I'm convinced that's what dying feels like, a crushing inevitability as all kinds of sensory input disappears. People say it's like the world closing in but that's inadequate. It's more like first I can't pay attention to vision any more, then there's no such thing as balance, then sharp smell is gone, and then I'm out, and that sequence takes like 3 to 5 seconds once it starts. I've got enough experience with it now that I can feel really early onset warning signs like a deep sense of unease... I can warn people, try and get to the floor so I don't fall, it's never happened while driving but if it did I'd have time to at least pull over and kill the ignition. But I'm doing that while fighting a certain kind of panic because I know what the next step is like and it's bad.

I remember when I was really young I didn't know what was happening and it wasn't as frightening, somehow, but I've hurt myself a couple times - one time when I was in high school I hit my head on a lab bench on the way down and they called an ambulance, I was concussed, that wasn't fun. At least now I can kind of tell myself not to panic, follow a clear process, and usually warn anyone around me "I'm about to pass out" which is sometimes a useful warning!

Coming to is also really bad. There's no sense of passage of time until I'm sort of gradually aware of auditory sensations, I'm actually blind at that point. If there's people around it's like echoey, background babble, like the sound of being in a huge old train station full of people talking, or a big building lobby. Takes a few seconds before I can start to see. Sometimes I've pissed myself. Rarely but probably 10% of the time. Embarrassing as hell. Sometimes as I come back I'm telling people I'm OK, or that I'm coming back. I'm nauseous and basically can't get up for several minutes, sometimes I need to kind of lie around or sit up for 20+ minutes, and I'm guaranteed to feel like absolute poo poo for hours.

Apparently I sometimes have a seizure while out, if I'm not with my wife there's usually someone scared or trying to call an ambulance or one time my boss at my old job was punching me in the chest ineffectively, lol, I'd slammed my arm at the "funny bone" spot into a sharp steel corner and was bleeding everywhere and he thought I was having a heart attack. Good thing I wasn't because he sure as hell wasn't doing anything resembling CPR.

It's probably not exactly the same as having your heart stop, but I have this strong sense that this is what it will feel like the day I die, whenever that is, hopefully in my very old age. I can't recommend it. I honestly hope Damar doesn't remember anything after the tackle, until fully coming to in the hospital.

e. I realize this is something of a derail, but we're also not going to get any news at 10pm pacific on thursday night so I doubt I'm like, pre-empting anything important. Still, if TFF mods want me to shut up about passing-out chat, that's cool.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Quiet Feet posted:

I got sedated once...

...reading this post!

it's a talent of mine

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

single-mode fiber posted:

I have this as well

You're the first person I've ever "met" who has it, although it sounds like yours is different. There's a "tilt table test" they (used to?) do but I get better lying down vs. standing up, not the opposite, so it's probably for finding your version vs. mine. Anyway one of the things you can do is clench your arms and legs, pull your fists in against your chest, just tighten up. Forces some blood back from the extremities to the core. It's stopped it once or twice for me. Another is just stay hydrated.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

While we're handing out kudos let's not forget the Bengals medical staff ran out onto the field immediately as well and were part of Hamlin's first response team.

As for his recovery, I think we still don't even know for sure why his heart stopped, the commotio cordis thing is a reasonable guess but it's still possible he has some kind of heart defect or who knows. At this point I'm delighted he's alive and conscious and responsive and talkative, it'd be nice if he can do whatever he wants when he's fully recovered but that'll be up to him and his doctors to figure out what the options even are.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

Really? I have it too but had to catch up on the thread. I can pass out if I get up too easily (happened more as a kid than now). That tilt-table thing is for real - the first time I gave blood it started happening. Thankfully I knew what was going on and was able to get a nurse's attention. He ran over and flipped the chair back so the blood rushed back to my head. Such a crazy feeling.

Oh hey! Yeah I don't exactly announce my full medical profile to everyone I meet, so I've probably met several people who had this without knowing it. But I've never gotten to like chat about it and compare notes with anyone before. SA threads probably put far more eyeballs on it in 24 hours than I've had people I talked to about it in the last ten years.

I've had one case where I got horizontal, on my back knees up, and still passed out, but it was an extreme case: most of the time getting into that position, or further down with my head below my heart, will keep me conscious no matter what. I don't usually get dizzy from standing up fast either.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My friend Mark, who was a light smoker, died of pneumonia at about 24 or 25. He got a bad cold, went to the hospital, a day later they said he had pneumonia, and he was dead like 12 hours after that.

It's no joke and it's still a risk of course, although that was in 1999 or 2000 and he was at a really lovely rural hospital. Still, I think at this point Damar's chances are way above 50% and considering when folks thought he'd been on compressions for 9 minutes people were talking 1% or less, we can all celebrate those odds.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

or it could be he's in the icu in critical condition due to significant organ damage, and/or they have not yet ruled out various causes of cardiac arrest that could recur

when my stepdad was in the hospital recovering from surgery on his broken neck, he was ambulatory and talkative just 30m before a hemotoma almost killed him

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 8, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Presumably his transfer to a subacute care unit in Cincinnati was an option, but he would rather be at a hospital in his home city and the doctors judged that travel was reasonably safe. I dunno if he flew or went by medical transport or what.

"Discharged" here is misleading because normally when one of us normal schlubs gets discharged, it's because we're going home. But it's technically correct, in that the Cincinnati hospital has discharged him into someone else's care.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

This was obvious from minute one. Buck isn't going to just make poo poo up while he's watching somebody get chest compressions.

No, but he could have been misinformed by the voice in his earpiece. The TV announcers are fed information from the production team. If it had come from a misunderstanding on the field, by the refs or otherwise, that could just have easily led to Buck being told exactly what he said on air.

I'm disappointed that it turned out to actually be the league trying to get the game going again, though. Of course. And it's nice that Buck wasn't put in a position of having to retract what he'd announced on the air.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Or, on the other hand, this is private medical information and the NFL doesn't get to decide what is disclosed to the public? I actually don't know the answer to this, I know there's usually but not always announcements about why a player misses a game, sometimes it's just due to "illness" with nothing specified but I don't know who gets to decide what is announced.

What specter of commotio cordis? As far as we know this is the first time it's ever happened in NFL history. There's a specter of CTE looming over fans' football experience and it's vastly worse.

I think regardless of the diagnosis, if Hamlin plays again, everyone's gonna be holding their drat breath every time he takes or delivers a hit. And I sure wouldn't want to be the first player to run into the guy, presumably one of his own teammates in practice long before an NFL game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I could easily see Hamlin's family begging him not to play any more. They watched him collapse and apparently die in front of them. That's traumatic.

Chris Borland walked away from an incredibly promising and lucrative career because he became fully aware of the CTE risks and decided it wasn't worth it. Plenty of other athletes have done the same. We'll see what Hamlin and his family want, what the docs tell him, etc. and ultimately if he's physically able to play, he'll have to make a pretty tough decision. That decision will probably be tougher if he gets a lot of pressure, however well-intentioned, from fans and teammates to complete the feelgood comeback narrative that is so deeply culturally ingrained.