Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

If the refs were thinking straight, the thought process could have been something like "I don't really want to play, but we should talk to the coaches/league about it first. But if we do play, the players can't come in cold, so let's get that taken care of while we figure things out because that's the only thing I can control right now."

As for what can the league do if the Bills are like "Our guys can't play. If you send us out there, we're going to kneel every play because someone is actually going to get hurt bad if we try and play in the headspace we're in"?

Also, hopefully Tee's ok after this and he can actually resume his career. Closest I can think of is another hockey example in Espen Knutsen. Dude took a normal shot that deflected into the stands, but it sounds up hitting a kid in the head and she died. Total fluke and no one, including her family thought he did anything wrong, but Espen went from all-star to out of the league in a year.

Edit: fixed funny typo

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I'm going to hell for laughing at your typo, but I agree with your overall sentiment.

You wrote "poo poo" instead of "shot"

Haha. I guess I swear enough that auto correct didn't pick it up...

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Is this the Clint Malarchuk incident? I saw that on SportsCenter as a kid and jeezus elementary school me was not ready for it.

Yup. And if you haven't seen it, don't watch any videos without reading first and knowing what you are getting into because you actually see what's happening.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

The situation is tragic but I did chuckle at chiropractor being included in the medical team list.

Still more useful than the neurotrauma consultant who's probably just now asking what the final score was.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’d rather be ignored than have the doctor actively harm me based on woo woo bullshit.

I don't know how many guys have been actively harmed by a chiropractor in the NFL, but we've seen multiple times this season where guys have been put in danger due to incompetence/negligence on the part of the spotter.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Not surprising, there’s always going to be wrong reports during something crazy like this. It’s not maliciously done or anything, it’s just what happens when emotions are high during a stressful event.

Media reports for this are tough since everything is coming from emotional people like family who probably don't understand the nuances and can't really relay technical details very clearly or people that do know what they are talking about but are only guessing because they haven't actually seen him.

Like it's not hard to see a doc explaining to this family that they did some sort of work on him in the ambulance, family interprets that as they brought him back and tell a reporter, unless the reporter has experience with such stories they might just think resuscitate is a cool sounding word, and then the medical analysts go on that because it's a specific thing they can talk about.

The only people that actually have the expertise and access to talk about his specific situation with any detail are all HIPAA people that can't say a thing. Would the docs be okay if they told the family "hey, if you guys are going to talk to the media, please use these specific words so there are no mix-ups"?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Obviously great news on its own, but for the med folks, does this mean he's out of the woods and we're just looking at how quickly he can recover or is there still some sort of relapse risk or something?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Patrick Spens posted:

Ban contact sports, Baseball, Cricket and probably soccer and volleyball as well.

You'd have to ban every ball sport where the ball travels into the general vicinity of a person like tennis, racquetball, squash, etc too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Another blast from the past: The guy who rescued "Baby Jessica" from the well ended up getting PTSD & other mental health problems from the incident, and later committed suicide. This even though Baby Jessica herself suffered no long-term mental or physical effects from her fall down the well - she's a married Special Ed teacher with kids. Just the pressure of the rescue itself had an enormous affect on the guy who did it.

Just being around physical trauma or high-stakes situations like that can really mess a person up.

Yeah, though he's obviously and rightly at the centre of this, other people might be deeply affected too. Tee Higgins should probably be talking to someone. Obviously it's not his fault and no one should be blaming him for any of this, but that doesn't mean he's not feeling any responsibility internally.